PDA

View Full Version : RIP Andrea de Cesaris

Jonny
5th October 2014, 08:49 PM
Today's race day was already overshadowed by the horrifying accident of Jules Bianchi during this year's F1 Japanese Grand Prix, but right now I've read the message that another F1-driver, Andrea de Cesaris died in an accident with his 600ccm Suzuki in Rome.

De Cesaris was known for many things, during the 80s he earned the nickname "De Crashsaris" as he managed to destroy 14 cars in the 1987 season (out of 16 races). Also for some years he hold the record for the most GP-starts (first driver with over 200 GPs) until this was topped by Rubens Barrichello and Michael Schumacher (over 300 GPs each). He was also known for being Schumachers first ever teammate, as in Spa (Belgium) 1991 both started for Jordan.

De Cesaris was also infamous for being chronically-confused as he was one of the testdrivers at the rebuilt Kyalami circuit in South Africa he said that the track looks fine to him, althought the run-off-areas were completely wrong placed. This effect was enforced by his ability to roll his pupils to the inside of his eyeholes.

The racing world lost an iconic man today, althought I have never seen him racing, I know him, like every F1 fan does.

RIP Andrea de Cesaris (1959-2014)