PDA

View Full Version : SpecialEffect - 24h games marathon

Hellfire_WZ
8th June 2014, 10:33 PM
Hi everyone

On the 26th July I will be doing a 24h games marathon to help fundraise for the charity SpecialEffect. They are an organisation that help to develop technologies to allow people with severe physical disabilities to play video games that would otherwise be impossible. To see the work they do, have a look at their website here (http://www.specialeffect.org.uk/) and their YT channel (https://www.youtube.com/user/GameOnForEVERYONE) for more details.

I've put together a short video detailing what I'll be playing. This is only a quick showcase of the games that are 100% confirmed, others will be added before then once I have confirmed that they can be streamed over my rather poor internet connection. There'll definitely be opportunities for multiplayer in some games, so if you fancy jumping in, please let me know :)

Here's the JustGiving page - https://www.justgiving.com/SE-24h-marathon

http://youtu.be/UDZnD-hYXWg

Snakenator1
9th June 2014, 04:06 PM
FTL!! I FREAKING LOVE THAT GAME :D why does it not have multiplayer goddammit
The only other games I have on here is borderlands 2 on ps3 and Rayman legends on WII U. To bad for me your streaming them through PC otherwise I would of loved to join in :P

Hellfire_WZ
26th June 2014, 04:50 PM
One month to go :) I'm still looking to add to the games list but I'll also be hoping to have a proper setup in place with a chat room

Snakenator1
26th June 2014, 05:12 PM
Add games hey?? Hmm Dat Wipeout HD game perhaps ;) *kidding*. Assuming your playing on the PC platform how about these?:
SCP containment breach is brilliant horror
Portal/ Portal2, very funny
Garry's mod
Vanish is also good horror (I know too many horror games :P )
Battleblock Theatre is also good fun

Can't think of any others cause I don't play many PC games, also for the chat would it be on Twitch or could you make a Skype chatroom??
(I should probably get Twitch just in case)

Cipher
26th June 2014, 05:29 PM
Speedrunners is gorgeous Charlie, it's a blast with friends, same goes for castle crashes and battleblock theatre (as snake mentioned), they're more casual/relaxing games, but a serious blast (of laughter) with friends ;) and also enjoyable to watch for the audience (shooters the player usually focuses on and rarely talks :p)
Among the sleep is also a good one, and the message behind it is even better, good game!
if you're on steam, hit me up if you want (apple_guy), might hop on and slap you awake with a bag of coffee :P

Cipher

Snakenator1
26th June 2014, 05:56 PM
Oooh oooh wait, how about Viscera cleanup detail?? Its really funny with friends. I know somebody here who likes that game *cough cough* Cipher *cough cough* ;)

Hellfire_WZ
26th June 2014, 06:10 PM
The chat will be on Twitch, much easier to moderate. Gonna see if I can get a couple of friends to help me out on that one.

Portal 2 sounds like it could be a plan if anyone wants to do co-op! And I picked up Castle Crashers in the Steam Sale so that's on too :)

kleidoscopik_1er
26th June 2014, 08:07 PM
Nice idea/event.
Good luck hellfire, i wish you much success.

Hellfire_WZ
28th June 2014, 04:46 PM
I'm crap at fighting games, but I felt it needed one. Injustice: Gods Among Us is the latest addition.

TheConzio
29th June 2014, 08:31 AM
How about World of Tanks? One of my favourite MMO PC games.

Jonny
29th June 2014, 09:51 AM
Try Lifeless Planet, it's a very good Indie-Storybased-Adventure game.
And if you play racing games I would recommand F1 2013.
And I have a question, how long do you play each game?
And I'm pretty sure that many people would celebrate it if you just start playing a WipEout game during this stream :)

Hellfire_WZ
29th June 2014, 11:53 AM
I'd imagine it would vary heavily depending on the game played, but on average probably a couple of hours each. I'll try and put together a schedule of play, but I doubt I'd end up sticking to it very rigidly ;)

TheConzio
9th July 2014, 11:30 AM
Hellfire, will you be releasing a schedule of what you will be playing throughout the event? That could be very useful for people who only want to see one or two games. :+

Hellfire_WZ
21st July 2014, 07:55 PM
Here's the setup I'll be running on Saturday. Left monitor to manage Xsplit, Twitch and JustGiving, and the right monitor for the games.

Will have some kind of schedule for you all nearer the time, although I still haven't decided on every single game yet. I'm actually in two minds as to whether to have the chat enabled on Twitch, the kids at the school I work at know about this and I won't be in a position to boot off any that decide to act like idiots.

Snakenator1
21st July 2014, 10:15 PM
Could you get some chat moderators to help out? They'll keep everything in check for you and boot the naughty ones for you.

-EDIT- You're a Physics teacher?! that's awesome, I love my science subjects especially Biology ^_^
You could be a Pierre Belmondo if you tried hard because you have the knowledge ;)

Jonny
21st July 2014, 11:10 PM
I would find it so epic if my teacher would have a live stream. ^^

TheConzio
22nd July 2014, 04:08 AM
Very nice setup!
I'm thinking of doing a marathon for SpecialEffect with a couple of mates, likely in September :+

I'll be watching as much as possible :)

Hellfire_WZ
25th July 2014, 06:32 PM
Less than a day to go... must admit I'm wondering whether this was a good idea! Here's the general schedule of what I'm playing and when. Bear in mind this is subject to change, but I'll try and stick to it as much as I can. All times are BST

12:00-14:00 - XCOM Enemy Unknown
14:00-15:00 - Castle Crashers
15:00-17:00 - Diablo III
17:00-19:00 - Darksiders
19:00-21:00 - Borderlands 2
21:00-22:00 - FTL
22:00-00:00 - Skyrim
00:00-02:00 - Legend of Grimrock
02:00-04:00 - Sonic 3 & Knuckles
04:00-05:00 - Unreal Tournament 2004
05:00-06:00 - Injustice: Gods Among Us
06:00-08:00 - Just Cause 2
08:00-10:00 - Dishonored
10:00-12:00 - Rayman Legends

Hellfire_WZ
26th July 2014, 10:58 AM
And here we go. Wish me luck people! :)

Cipher
26th July 2014, 11:47 AM
ya need more links charlie, your twitch isn't even in the OP :P

But stay strong! Little more than 22 hours to go, you can do it! ;)

Cipher

Snakenator1
27th July 2014, 11:05 AM
You did it crazy fool :D 24hrs of games, well done!! I enjoyed every bit of that stream :)
I took it upon myself to spread awareness of special effect during the stream as well because my internet was being a pain and wouldn't let me donate :P (still won't let me)

*gives round of applause* :clap :clap :clap

Azurooth
27th July 2014, 12:27 PM
Well done Charlie! Enjoyed every bit of it, being able to take part for a bit was really fun as well. You're da champ!

Jonny
27th July 2014, 11:29 PM
I just watched a bit (wasn't intersted into the games), but was cool ^^

Hellfire_WZ
26th August 2014, 05:57 PM
Can't believe it was one month ago today! Just finished putting a highlights video together for those of you who couldn't catch the livestream :)

http://youtu.be/0gGYHrWGG9c

kleidoscopik_1er
27th August 2014, 11:00 PM
@Hellfire_WZ: So, was the fund raising a success?
gg for the performznce anyway :) .

Hellfire_WZ
28th August 2014, 10:47 PM
Yeah, ended up raising about £120 in the end. Was never intended to be a massive thing so anything was a bonus really :)