PDA

View Full Version : Someone give this guy a copy of wipeout!! WOW

Mitchemous
27th February 2014, 01:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvrepvisxA0

If you guys are unfamiliar with cgn he is the top dog in F-Zero and this video definitely showcases it!
So what do you guys think? Does becoming a decorated F-Zero pilot require more raw talent then to make it to the tops of the Wipeout Ranks? And do you think he could transfer his skills over with relative ease or would he be hopeless in wipeout due to inability to unlearn his F-Zero instincts.

Thought maybe comparing top level play between the two games would make for an interesting off topic conversation. Let me know what you all think!

Snakenator1
27th February 2014, 02:22 PM
I watched cgn a lot and he is without a doubt the best F-zero pilot in the world (he holds several world records) and honestly he can easily transit onto WipEout due to incredible similarity between the controls.

To become a professional F-zero Pilot requires a lot more skill than WipEout pilots as the speeds in say F-zero GX are incredibly fast (1000-1200+km/h) its like WipEouts supersonic zone is our standard speeds, then with the booster its incredibly fast. And since the game has no weapons, it takes more skill to come out on top.

I'm a huge F-zero GX fan as well, but I still can't beat mission 7, 8 and 9 on very hard. The game is so much harder than WipEout but its so rewarding when you beat it.

terra-wrists
27th February 2014, 05:32 PM
someone needs to give this guy a copy immediately, or he'll prolly end up hurting himself real bad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbbOHxV76jo

lol?

Mitchemous
27th February 2014, 06:40 PM
Hahaha!! Good air brake work with his legs though! XD

Jonny
27th February 2014, 09:39 PM
If I compare WipEout and F Zero videos I would say WipEout is faster. Sure, if you only look on the Speedometer WipEout Fusion is truly the fastes game ever :/

Snakenator1
27th February 2014, 10:42 PM
If I compare WipEout and F Zero videos I would say WipEout is faster/

Really, that's interesting cause I think from playing F-zero in conjunction to WipEout, F-zero GX is faster than phantom class in general and not because the speedometer says so.

But hey we are all entitled to our opinions so I can't hold a grudge for it, nice to see some variation in views ;)

blackwiggle
28th February 2014, 07:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvrepvisxA0

If you guys are unfamiliar with cgn he is the top dog in F-Zero and this video definitely showcases it!
So what do you guys think? Does becoming a decorated F-Zero pilot require more raw talent then to make it to the tops of the Wipeout Ranks? And do you think he could transfer his skills over with relative ease or would he be hopeless in wipeout due to inability to unlearn his F-Zero instincts.

Thought maybe comparing top level play between the two games would make for an interesting off topic conversation. Let me know what you all think!

A different skill set needed I think.
The ability to Barrel Roll many many multiple times during a lap, at a precise point on a track, and to be able to control your craft at speed using the variables of Air braking and steering used at the same time...... mummm ... I sort of think being excellent at F-Zero might actually make the learning curve of being excellent at WO larger.

F-Zero doesn't need to know where each Hump & Bump on each track is, [which differs with each speed class in WO] that allows you to BR.

Aeralys
28th February 2014, 09:02 AM
someone needs to give this guy a copy immediately, or he'll prolly end up hurting himself real bad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbbOHxV76jo

lol?

The dude's got Feisar coloured pants on and pulled off about 6 barrel rolls in a row. He doesn't need a copy he's already living the dream.

I'm also someone who came from F-Zero before WipEout and I would argue that the only skill that transitions from the game is predictive cornering. Nothing else really works the same. WipEout ships are more fiddly to handle and their booties swerve outwards as if they've got some serious thrusters to flaunt. F-Zero ships handle much sharper and offers more varied control like sliding. Competitively there's a lot to learn too. F-Zero hasn't established much of a competitive factor as there's been no online outing of the franchise, despite my prayers. The energy/meter management is totally different too.

If anything playing F-Zero beforehand conditions you to be more reckless in WipEout, and with any racing game, you gotta know the track first.

Jonny
28th February 2014, 11:18 AM
Yeah, both games are different, but if you mastered the one game, the other is not THAT hard.

Aeralys
28th February 2014, 12:19 PM
For single player sure, but online will still take a lot of work.

Mitchemous
28th February 2014, 04:34 PM
A different skill set needed I think.
The ability to Barrel Roll many many multiple times during a lap, at a precise point on a track, and to be able to control your craft at speed using the variables of Air braking and steering used at the same time...... mummm ... I sort of think being excellent at F-Zero might actually make the learning curve of being excellent at WO larger.

F-Zero doesn't need to know where each Hump & Bump on each track is, [which differs with each speed class in WO] that allows you to BR.

I think you may be right blackwiggle, I think the games may differ too much for them to give you a learning advantage in either.
Although, wipeout seems like theres more to worry about concerning being on the fact, i feel those are easier feats to madter as they are visuals. With F-Zero you don't realize as much how much the pilot really has going on. This is a list everything you have be at least comfortable with to get any sort of comfortable times. And the room for error, much like wipeout, is tighter than Paris Hilton's ass.
Here's a list of it all
http://fzerocentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=463

And Johnny, F-Zero is faster. I switch between the two regularly. And only after hitting supersonic in zone mode would I say wipeout starts to feel as fast. And that's before Boosting or Snaking in F-Zero, if your can do it right there are certain tracks that you can get your craft going 4x faster than its max speed.
F-Zero has longer, wider, larger tracks so that may be why it's doesn't seem so speedy to you. Race on mute city: serial gaps, you'll see the difference

terra-wrists
28th February 2014, 05:40 PM
The dude's got Feisar coloured pants on and pulled off about 6 barrel rolls in a row. He doesn't need a copy he's already living the dream.

All without a turbo :D i was wondering when someone would pick up on the feisar themed pants :D nice spottings!

kleidoscopik_1er
28th February 2014, 09:48 PM
French show, but you still can enjoy the records for those not familiar with french.
Some crazy F-Zero GX records, including both "speed run" & TAS (tool-assisted speed run): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwfRe85roJg

:)

JABBERJAW
28th February 2014, 10:05 PM
Wipeout is holding lines, fzero gx is about specific maneuvers that that to be done pefectly, such as riding walls, snaking ( wiggling joystick like a nut), hitting edges of speed pads, sliding out on purpose, and alot more. It is more difficult to learn all of these techniques, than to learn how to hold a line ( which isn't easy). It comes down to if you think wiggling your joystick all over the place is fun or not. Fzero x doesn't have a lot of that stuff, just very specific techniques to do that are very difficult. What that guy in the videos was doing was not harder than wipeout imo. WMJ, who is excellent at wo64, 3 XL and fzero X says learning fzero X is harder as the techniques are very unforgiving.

kleidoscopik_1er
28th February 2014, 10:51 PM
Same show, with some records from WMJ, the guy you was speaking about JABBERJAW. Others are from a guy called LIN.
F-Zero X: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbOPmNQpD5g
:)

nb: I've just tried f-zero 2 on snes. Hard to know which game is harder, but F-Zero doesn't seems easy for sure. Records from F-Zero X & GX are really impressive and fun to watch.

Aeralys
28th February 2014, 11:17 PM
Yeah F-Zero X WR's are absolutely ridiculous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sJysrh1Q2Y

JABBERJAW
1st March 2014, 01:23 PM
Those slides that they do are very difficult to get those speeds, you need to be perfect, otherwise you are sitting at 800 instead of 1100. Those jumps require certain button presses at specific times to get those speeds. Thats why I'm saying that is harder to learn than wipeout. That one track is just one example, some tracks are just perfect timing on your slides. I would love to learn it, but fear it will take until I'm 60

Snakenator1
1st March 2014, 06:20 PM
I can only pull off MT (momentum turbo) and only just about pull off a MTS (momentum turbo slide)

But when I tried a MTRS (momentum turbo rails slide) and that attempt ended very badly =/

vincoof
3rd March 2014, 09:09 AM
I would love to learn it, but fear it will take until I'm 60
^This

Then you have to ask yourself whether you want to “play” a game to have fun or to reach some goal. Generally you start playing a game because it’s fun but it’s hard to know if it will still be fun after, say, 1000 hours of training (and honestly I think you need way more than 1000 to reach the kind of level we’ve seen in those videos). What’s more, I find interesting to have specific goals for games that are showcased in eSport events (like SC2, LoL or even SF4) but for old games that merely get attention from fans, it’s hard to justify there is a real competition. It’s a bit like entering the Guinness World Records for a record that just a few individuals ever try to achieve.

Jonny
3rd March 2014, 10:06 AM
Sonds like someone wants a new WipEout competition :P

DrMannevond
3rd March 2014, 09:19 PM

...video...

lol?

This guy too:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbn5rQVKj1Y

Jonny
3rd March 2014, 10:25 PM
...or this guy :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR06NmS98wY
No worry, nobody was injuried.

DDD113
4th March 2014, 09:42 PM
Let's not forget that one of the most important parts of a barrel roll is sticking the landing!! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDZH4GiREJ4

Jonny
7th March 2014, 11:25 PM
Anyway, but if I compare a good WipEout run with a good F-Zero run, the WipEout races just look "more beautiful"

Mitchemous
8th March 2014, 03:33 PM
This is very true, F-Zero isn't as stylish, it's just full throttle and traction all the time. Wipeout has sliding and side shifts, plus barrel rolls and shortcuts. It is definitely the more interesting game to watch/play

possesed13
9th March 2014, 11:34 AM
two different games in my opinion... to my eye F-Zero is very poor.... yes it needs skills to built up your career but the rush the feeling the competition in wipeout are no match...
besides the variables are more complicated in wipeout but F-Zero requires also a detail that makes the difference like wipeout!!
the air brakes and steering of wipeout are making the game totally unique... that's why im saying two different games!
wipeout is a reason to buy PS console!! F-Zero is not and that's the big difference!

Snakenator1
9th March 2014, 11:49 AM
Ideally WipEout and F-zero have one thing in common, in the sense that both series require dedication and persistence to really get the most enjoyment out of them. I run both games and I can find strengths and weaknesses in both. However since I put so much effort into them, I always enjoy both games no matter what anyone says about them.

As long as you enjoy the series you prefer then that's what counts.

possesed13
9th March 2014, 06:29 PM
thats excactly what i mean.... enjoy the race!! :]

Jonny
10th March 2014, 11:57 PM
Hmmm, how deep are the F-Zero players in the game?
The WipEout players usually identify themselfes with a specific team and know the thrill of a good timed Quake, but do the FZero guys have the same passion like us?
Just a question^^

possesed13
11th March 2014, 11:09 AM
Let's not forget that one of the most important parts of a barrel roll is sticking the landing!! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDZH4GiREJ4

awesome... the guy didnt even tryed to sideshift....

Snakenator1
11th March 2014, 07:25 PM
Hmmm, how deep are the F-Zero players in the game?

Most of the time players of F-zero use their own custom machines (GX has a garage where you can make your own ship) but most of the time players are loyal to specific characters and their ships.

Example, I'm loyal to a character called "James Mccloud" and his ship "Little Wyvern" (a reference to my favourite game series ever Star Fox) the vehicle has low body strength, but has high grip and boost stats (similar to Icaras in a manner)