PDA

View Full Version : Any Bronies here?

KronicReaper
21st January 2014, 06:40 PM
One question I really love to hate to ask you zoners. Are any members of Wipeout Zone are Bronies who watch My Little Pony or MLP for short?

Mike458
22nd January 2014, 01:05 AM
Yes, completely.

Brohoof! /)

Knux_Chaotix
22nd January 2014, 06:15 AM
My Little Pony is AWESOME!!! Only discovered its awesomeness recently. *Brohoof*

AGSys
23rd January 2014, 01:53 AM
Dang, didn't know that whole brony phenomenon still existed. I've always been curious though, what's so great about MLP that it has such a huge and diverse fanbase? I tried to watch an episode or two and really got quite bored. It felt like one of those generic new children's shows where everything is just nothing but happy. Don't get me wrong, I still love cartoons (mostly from the 90's-early 2000's) even after turning 18 but I've grown to dislike a lot of the cartoons that air these days.

Mike458
23rd January 2014, 02:27 AM
Well, look up Saberspark's "Brony Chronicles" documentary. It's a three part documentary covering almost everything about the fandom. Also listen to The Living Tombstone, Woodentoaster, Bronified, and other brony musicians.

Also: Playing WOHD with hooves is HARD! (Hypnotized myself into a pony) :P

Dirtbag
23rd January 2014, 08:51 AM
I've watched the first and second seasons but lost interest after that. It does great for 24 minute episodes and the animation quality is incredibly well done, so it's no wonder it gets well received. I wouldn't go so far to say it's the best since there are plenty of other great animations like Archer, Invader Zim, Ben 10, etc. If it wasn't for 4chan MLP would have never taken such a huge audience. Not because it's unworthy, but because no one would have "founded" the party. Although I have no intentions of starting the third season or finishing MLH (It felt so cliche and rushed), I wouldn't say it's not worth it to watch them.

BlueWolf9498
23rd January 2014, 12:12 PM
Brony for Life!!! /) this show is amazing!

Mike458
25th January 2014, 04:56 AM
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/26549/george-bush-invades-equestria

YES.

BEST FIMFIC EVER.

Knux_Chaotix
25th January 2014, 03:25 PM
This now begs the question... Who is best pony???

Mike458
25th January 2014, 11:32 PM
*dramatic pause*

Rainbow Dash?

Darkdrium777
25th January 2014, 11:34 PM
I've always been curious though, what's so great about MLP that it has such a huge and diverse fanbase?All right, so this question is asked often and you'll see a lot of people fumble for an answer, which is a point some people make to prove that there's actually not that much to it in the end if the fans can't find an answer to that question.

Now I can't answer for everyone, but I'll give some pointers as to why I think it's a good show. First of all though, I completely agree that it's not for everyone. You already seem to have given it a fair shot so good job on that, some just outright refuse to based on prejudice (which are different than principles in my mind).

Reason number one for me is the characters. At least for the main ones, everyone is well personified and the cast is extremely varied. What makes this show the most fun to watch for me are all the interactions between these characters. They often lead to some situational comedy, or they're just plain heartwarming (sucker for that I guess). Those are pretty much the best moments of the show for me.

Number two is the voice actors. They're an extremely talented bunch that always does their best to bring the characters to life. You can hear that they're having loads of fun in the recording studio, the voice acting is always on point, the intonation just right, the delivery flawless. It's just really great and makes these personalities I mentioned above feel that much more real and distinct.

Number three is the writing, but not the overall writing of the plot of each episode. I will admit in fact that that is probably one of the weaker points of this show. They've got 22 minutes (Because American TV needs to bombard children with 8 minutes of commercials every half hour) so the overall story is often rushed with crucial development points missing. Some elements can also feel like they're being beaten over your forehead, but maybe it has to be that obvious because it's a children's show after all. What I love about the writing relates to these character interactions I mentioned above. Case in point, what I think is the best joke so far in this show's existence (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE1vpa925gY). Also do note that these two are actually minor characters, so this aspect of the writing does extend to the ensemble. It's not just the main cast that are that clever.

Number four is the animation. A lot of times when asked other fans just stop there and gush about it without making loads of sense or giving examples. You have to know the entire thing is made with Flash (bar some elements from 3D models used for complex monsters). So they're able to animate a few frames and tween between those keyframes for ultra smooth animation. They've also got highly detailed character symbols they can pose pretty much any way they want, so there's practically never a sudden change in pose that would feel weird. I guess I can tie in to the art here as well, because they keep piling on this level of detail every season and every episode. The backdrops, the characters, there's always more and more subtle things and less copy/pasting. The first season was infamous for having copy/pasted crowd shots, but recently there's been episodes with as many as 30 different ponies on screen at once. There certainly isn't an expense spared in this area.

A smaller reason is the META: it's a fantasy land with giant dragons, beautiful castles, and so on. Sometimes it's fun to think about that world and when the show adds on to it.

It's a bit weird that reason 3 and 4 I've written longer about, but that's because it needs some precision since like I said often times people just say "oh everything's pretty much great" and that's not really what I think.

TL;DR: I watch it because it's fun seeing well personified and animated characters' antics for 22 minutes or so. Also background lore.

Mietepiet
26th January 2014, 06:28 AM
nice explained, maybe I should check it out some day.

I wonder for KronicReaper's opinion about this show.

KronicReaper
27th January 2014, 10:32 PM
To me its just a show for little girls, but if some grown men want to watch it that's fine with me. Myself I'll be watching MMA fighting, Law & Order, Shepard Smith, or Mike Huckabee better than watching MLP any day.

AGSys
27th January 2014, 11:29 PM
Damn! Darkdrium, thanks for the really indepth insight. That's probably the first one I've ever come across since this whole thing took off.