PDA

View Full Version : I'm back

xEik
17th June 2003, 10:47 PM
Back to the forums after a couple of weeks vacation? Well, that would be true but it's not the point.

When I say that I'm back I mean that I'm back to the starting grid. For the first time in my life my PlayStation(2), a TV set, my computer and an Internet connection are together in the same place. No more weekend racing plus Monday updating routine or emulator substitute.

I'm back to the PAL records battlefield with my W'O", WO2097 and WO3 CDs.

See you in the tracks. ;)

Lance
18th June 2003, 12:29 AM
''Look on'' his ''works, ye mighty, and be'' scared.
very scared.
;)

Task
18th June 2003, 12:32 AM
Join the team, real name, no alias...

Two AG racing craft, take 'em on the outside! on the outside, on the outside!
One AG racing craft, take him on the outside! on the outside, on the outside!

Guess who's back? Back again! xEik is back! Race a friend!
Guess who's back, guess who's back, guess who's back...

Hey, you've waited so long, you think his craft is rusting, but he's back, he's on the track, and hyperthrusting!
You know that you've got a job to get to, but the newest times, they captivate you!
So the F-Seven-Two-C won't let you be, first wipeout three, and then SE!
Crank up the brightness on your TV, 'cause in those tunnels you'll need to see.

Lance
18th June 2003, 12:41 AM
sheesh, Jay; i paraphrase Shelley and this is the result? :D

xEik
18th June 2003, 01:13 AM
You really have broken me here.

The only Shelley I've read is 'The Modern Prometeus' and then it isn't the Shelley you were referring to but his wife. Are you suggesting that my works destiny is going to be that of Ozymandias's?

I still don't identify what is the thing Task posted. :-? Maybe I'd better not.

Lance
18th June 2003, 02:33 AM
nah.. i mean that you are a serious contender, so they should be aware of your renewed participation.

ive never read anything by mrs. shelley

i don't recognise any source for jay's opus, either. while that doesn't necessarily mean that one doesn't exist, the work may be entirely original with jay. :)

wipeout can be good for one's creativity

Task
18th June 2003, 04:24 AM
:D Sadly, I do very little "original" work. These are... um... "alternate" lyrics to a somewhat popular song that, if you have much taste, you likely won't have heard. 8 )

I'm sure someone will recognize the source, although it would likely be an American.

Lance
18th June 2003, 05:06 AM
after that remark, it's a bit unlikely that anyone will recognise it, especially since we americans are widely suspected or accused of not having or definitely thought not to have taste.

[so what if i like conan o'brian? or at least i used to; the ''string dance'' is getting kinda old]

let's look into the future.

the future, conan?

yes. all the way to the year two-thousand

foxfoil
18th June 2003, 08:12 AM
welcome back Xeik.
im surprised no one got the lyrics, i spotted it the moment i started reading it. anyway im not giving away anything ;). well back to eating m&m's ('wink'), no one can eat the Without me . haha

Vasudeva
18th June 2003, 08:21 AM
Yeah, Task was just singing for the moment, I guess 8).

Well xEik, welcome back to the world of wipEout... ;)

V.

zargz
18th June 2003, 11:00 AM
xeik: any wo3se cd?

xEik
18th June 2003, 11:18 AM
No. Damn, in a shop in Barcelona I found 4 or 5 brand new wip3out games for 14 euros each but no SE. :cry:

jmoid
18th June 2003, 04:54 PM
Try cex.co.uk for SE, they ship internationally:

http://www2.cex.co.uk/product_list.asp?stext=wipeout&scategory=

xEik
18th June 2003, 05:11 PM
I never buy second hand software. That web doesn't look like is selling brand new products.

jmoid
19th June 2003, 06:14 PM
All of their stuff is second hand. Thruster pointed out that W3SE has been re-released as a double pack with Demolition Derby 2, so you may be able to find a new copy.
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=956

Lance
20th June 2003, 01:35 AM
i've never liked Demolition Derby, either in the original PSX release, nor in the Dreamcast version. it just seems like some endless slow grind to me. do any of you guys find some good in this game that i don't? it must have some good features, maybe?

jmoid
20th June 2003, 10:28 AM
I never really dug it. I guess yr just stuck with it if you want a new copy of SE.

Hybrid Divide
20th June 2003, 11:52 AM
wipeout can be good for one's creativity

No kidding! :D

I probably wouldn't be a student studying Multimedia and Web Design had it not been for WipEout. I know a gaming experiance can change lives but sheesh! :lol:

Oh yeah, welcome back xEik. Happy racing with console and computer in one place! :D

Harvai
22nd June 2003, 04:12 AM
maybe we should rename this topic The xEik Show!! :wink:

zargz
22nd June 2003, 06:59 PM
xeik: I no we've talked about this somewhere else but now u r back
I can ask u directly. is xeik the same pronaunciation as jeik (read in spanish)
and with the accentuation (emphasis, stress, accent) on the e? like jéik ('_' ?)

caxia the bank is caja no?

xEik
22nd June 2003, 08:24 PM
First, the translation for caja in Catalan is caixa but they don't sound the same.

Second, IIRC your parents are from Chile. The pronunciation of J is much more gutural in Europe than in America so I'm not sure of which one you were thinking of. Notwithstanding, the X letter in catalan has three possible pronunciations.
First like in Taxi (it sounds the same in Catalan and Spanish, the A being a bit different from what it would be pronounced in English).
The second way of pronouncing X, which applies to words starting by it or when it is grouped like 'ix' in caixa, is similar to the English 'sh'.
The third way is used if grouped with a T like in cotxe (car) the sound is very similar to the 'ch' in English or Spanish. Cotxe and coche sound almost the same (some Catalan dialects have a pronunciation that is more similar than others).

Third, as you supposed, the stress is on the E. Although Catalan has two different ways of pronouncing an E (in the same way that French has three), this E sounds like the Spanish E.

Now, I said that words starting by X sounded like 'sh' but this is in standard Catalan. Xeic or txeic is a word that is only used in the dialect from the South (where I come from). Standard Catalan is more similar to the dialect spoken in the North and East. Catalan from the West and the South is quite different, specially in pronunciation.
So, in the end, xEik would be pronounced like 'chéik' by someone speaking Spanish. In English it should be written like 'chake' to get the correct pronunciation.

Why the k in xEik if K only exists in Catalan for foreign words? In some places it was easier to get the nick with K because many times xeic was already taken by someone from my area. The E in capitals came later to get a WipEout look.

By the way, xeic isn't usually in Catalan dictionaries. Many of those consider it a deformation of xic (a young man or boy). However we have different uses for xeic and xic so we consider it a different word. And writing it like txeic isn't gramatically correct (AFAIK no words start with tx in Catalan) but people use it to make it clear for people from the North that it isn't pronounce like 'sh' but like 'ch'.

Dragon
22nd June 2003, 08:30 PM
Hey, welcome back, yea i'm here to, just been in the shadows (high school, darn homework) I managed to find a used copy of wipeout XL (NTSC) for $3.00 on EBGames.com and i beat it with ease, after 5 years without playing it. (many thanks goes to maximumbob who found it for me). Anywayz, i'm gonna make this short because its my sis's 32 B-day, i'm 16 (yea, i've got old Bro and 2 sisters all over 30 lol.)
Welcome back xEik.

zargz
22nd June 2003, 11:36 PM
yay! thanx xeik 4 an exhaustive (comprehensive) answer!! m(_ _)m
and yes I've noticed the gutural J of spanish ppl - almost 'arabic' (^_^)
I had a teacher fr spain some years ago the first time we spoke spanish
we could barely understand eachother u know coche - auto, dinero - plata etc
I've alway thought/pronounced xeik as kséik (read like sp ppl would)
not 2mention in the begining 'ksiek' ! (^o^)
but nOw I know !
(^_^)/~~

Lance
23rd June 2003, 07:11 AM
not quite comprehensive, as he neglected to define just what those ''different uses'' are

i would think that mexican speakers of spanish would say shake. [the Xeik of Araby?][salt xeikers?][xeiking in his boots?][xeik, rattle, and roll?][xeikin' hands before the competition]

xEik
23rd June 2003, 11:45 AM
Xic is a normal noun that designs a young man or boy. However, xeic is almost exclusively used as a vocative.

The usage is similar to the word dude in a sentence like 'Long time no see, dude!'. In fact, the word dude adds nothing to the meaning of the sentence. It's only used to address the person you are speaking to. The usage of xeic would be more or less this one, although there are probably others that I don't recall right now.

The reason why people started calling me xeic was that when I moved to Barcelona to attend University classes, many people weren't from the South but I still used xeic to address them. So finally the nickname xeic got stuck to me. However, nobody would call me xeic in the South because it's a common noun, so it would be strange to use it as somebody's nick.

zargz
23rd June 2003, 11:48 PM
Xic is a normal noun that designs a young man or boy.

so u pronounce it like 'chick'? :lol: :lol:

lance: xeikin stevens ? milk xeik?

Lance
24th June 2003, 03:18 AM
oil xeik if you will

xEik
24th June 2003, 08:50 AM
so u pronounce it like 'chick'?
Obviously. :D

infoxicated
24th June 2003, 01:13 PM
You learn something new every day. :)

xEik
24th June 2003, 01:41 PM
In case you were wondering what is the femenine of 'xic', it's 'xica'. So, a chick is a 'xica' (pronounced more or less like 'chicker'), not a 'xic'. In any case only people from the South use it. In the North they'd use 'noi' and 'noia'.