PDA

View Full Version : Quantum Redshift

AmishRobot
5th June 2003, 04:28 AM
Forgive me for starting a new topic instead of resurrecting an old one, but...

I finally broke down and picked up an xbox, and of course the first game I got was QR. (Don't worry, Halo will come in time! ;)) So far, I've only played about an hour or so, and got to expert level. I was a bit worried about the difficulty after reaching that level so quickly, but after a couple races on that level of speed, I don't think that'll be a problem. :)

So far, I'm pretty impressed. It's gorgeous to look at, and the speed seems really good so far. I was able to see a definite difference in each speed class I reached. The track designs seem great; well tailored with different tactics at different speeds, which is something I've hardly ever seen outside of Wipeout. Most designers tend to plop down a collection of turns and straights over a pretty background, without any consideration for how they feel and play at each speed level - makes them either boring at slow speeds or stupidly hard at high ones.

The ships feel very nice and floaty, like they're actually off the ground. (Something I never felt in Fusion or F-Zero) I do wish they had gone with L/R airbrakes instead of the slide button, or at least given the option. The weapons system is interesting, but it takes a bit of concentration away from the race. I need to get a smaller controller, because the shield button is impossible to hit instinctively. I hate that controller. It's like holding a goat.

Anyway, I know it's old news for most of you, but I thought I'd share. Nick, if you're still visiting every now and then, good job and best of luck to you. It's a shame you weren't able to continue. As a series, this really had the potential to turn into something special. When I compare this game to Wipeout and think about the improvements you made after that one, it bends the mind.

Oh yeah, one more thing: Hot asian goth chick! WOOHOO! :P

stin
5th June 2003, 05:49 AM
Well I`m glad you enjoyed it but once you move on to Quantum Redshift level then you will enjoy this one especially the alien guy which is slightly hard to beat but you will get there if you are gonna play. :D

I got to admit I have not played it for a while due golf commitment and my kids wants to use X-Box which I can`t use it all the time. :(

stin :)

AmishRobot
5th June 2003, 06:22 AM
Okay, I've played a bit longer. The mountain course is a bit of a whipping, but hopefully I'll get used to it. I got to master class, and the speed is getting good. :o The super weapons rock. Combat is getting interesting, but not quite as strategic as I like.

And the Ultra Focal Length easter egg may just be the coolest thing ever. It made me giggle. ...Like a little schoolgirl. ...Seriously. :oops: :D

I really need to get to sleep, so I can go to work in the morning. It's been a looong time since a game kept me up.

Wamdue
5th June 2003, 05:46 PM
So far Ive only been playing the demo of QR, the floating sensation is very good indeed. I liked the attention of detail they put on the sound too, when in cockpit it really sounds like inside a cockpit and so on :)

get xbox live and give me some competition ;)

AmishRobot
5th June 2003, 10:35 PM
I've been thinking about getting on xbox Live, but I also plan on busting into the machine to put MAME and/or Linux on there. I understand that they're able to identify when you've changed the hardware, and will kill your account. Obviously, that makes me a little hesitant to jump right in, as I'm guessing there's something in the EULA for Live that states no refunds - or possibly public execution - for doing so.

Lance
6th June 2003, 02:20 AM
they might settle for a public flaying. probably 100 strokes with the cat-o'-nine-tails, or some such. possibly not enough to kill you immediately, but definitely a test of your resolve

Wamdue
15th August 2003, 07:01 PM
Finally got QR. Kalau Wastelands.. what a sensational track.. I found myself smiliing with an open mouth thru the whole race on that track.. Anyway, I really like the song they used in the intro. Anyone know who made it?

Thruster2097
15th August 2003, 08:22 PM
my guess it was by junkie XL. It doesnt sound familar, though, so it must be a special piece of music written just for the game.

I really like QR, but I find its impossible to control at expert, I wouldnt even dare think what reactions you need for quantum level! The pilot rivalries are petty and shouldnt have been included. One neat touch is the announcers voice (3,2,1,go!) changes language wherever you are in the world. Small, but I think it adds realism. Ultimatley, a good game, but gets hard really quickly.

Synthetic Consciousness
15th August 2003, 08:45 PM
All ingame tracks were written and produced exclusively for the game by Junkie XL. The intro song is entitled "Crusher".

Wamdue
15th August 2003, 09:27 PM
thanks! yeah I just got to expert mode.. Im really looking forward to redshift mode.. I just love the sound when you perform a 9sec boost and is able to control it.

AmishRobot
16th August 2003, 02:43 AM
Try racing the Canyon in Redshift with the Ultra Focal Length cheat on. It's a serious mindbender. :D

stin
17th August 2003, 07:36 PM
Do you want proof? Well here it is...http://pluto.imagemagician.com/images/stin/QR.jpg 8)

stin 8)

Nick Burcombe
18th August 2003, 09:45 AM
Hi there,

Just popping my head in again to say that I'm glad some of you have enjoyed QR.

I played it again for the first time in 8 months yesterday and I still enjoyed it. Shame we couldn't have gone for the "Xbox Live" sequel, I would have liked to have competed with you lot :) but there you go.....life huh?

Nick Burcombe

Wamdue
18th August 2003, 03:39 PM
yeah , its a shame they cancelled it. The feeling and gameplay is far better than wipeout fusion. Im not too fond of the pilot cutscenes tho, but that doesnt really matter as the game is so much fun to play.

Hows it going Nick?Im glad youre still checking the forums ;), are you on any new projects now?

Nick Burcombe
18th August 2003, 03:45 PM
Studio 33 is finishing off DD:Arena's and I'm putting together Pitch documents at the moment. Nothing to speak of just yet :)
Nick

Lance
18th August 2003, 04:39 PM
hi, Nick aka Nik. ;)
well, there may be nothing to speak of, but it's good to hear from you, anyway. btw, i saw a copy of QR in the nearest EB yesterday for U.S.$16.99

if i can get caught up on my bills, i'd like to get it, since my nextdoor neighbor now has an X-box

i hope you can get your own projects in production, soon