PDA

View Full Version : samsung 40" 120 hz led

JABBERJAW
30th March 2013, 03:24 AM
I looked at this thing in the store, and it looked really good, it had the least stutter out of all the tvs. (it also has the 240 cmr for stutter reduction. The video shown on all the tvs was very slow movement. I got this home, and the first thing I noticed was how incredible the picture was, BUT, then, watching the hobbit, the thing was stuttering all over the place, and was unwatchable. I didn't even bother playing HD on it. I haven't bought a real viewing led/lcd for this very reason, and it still hasn't been solved apparently. For giggles, I hooked up my 24" playstation tv(240 hz) and it worked close to perfect on the movie. Unfortunately, the picture is not even close (still good though), and the screen is too small for a serious movie tv. They don't even make leds at 40" at 240 hz, so I'm out of luck there, and even if they did, Im not sure thats fast enough for a tv that size, since it was barely enough even at 24"

I saw a panasonic 50" plasma (which wont fit in my entertainment center) that looked incredible, and moved without any stutter that I could see. It had an infinite black feature that the 42" version unfortunately doesn't have. I might fix my entertainment center to fit it since I won't be even looking at another lcd for another 6 years.

Anyone have any experience with these newer panasonic plasmas?

amplificated
30th March 2013, 07:18 AM
You realise movies are shot at 24fps, right? Also, there are various settings on both your DVD/Blu-Ray player as well as the TV that can improve the stutter by syncing your the player with the display. Google into it. 24fps into 60hz (or a multiple thereof) doesn't work out very evenly.

TV's have never been created from the ground up for games, and especially no LCD is ever going to have astounding input latency or response times. Also, all those buzzwords like "120hz", "240hz", "800hz", etc. means absolute jack ****ing **** on a TV for gaming. They accomplish it through processing rather than having a panel that can natively display a true 120/whatever hertz video, and thus the input lag is massively increased, making any serious gaming attempts a lost cause.

Whenever spending hundreds or even thousands of dollars on something you plan on enjoying for years to come, I thoroughly recommend doing more research than looking at store displays - and far more often than not, those in-store displays are all incredibly poorly calibrated for actual viewing conditions... so maybe that should be the last thing you look at, to verify you're fine with the form factor and you can get at least an idea of the picture and/or controls.

Oh, and I imagine the plasmas are pretty good, the biggest difference with LCD's is that they suffer burn-in. I.e. ensure you turn the TV off when you're not using it, especially if you have a game's menu plastered statically on the screen, or that picture will haunt that TV forever.
Frankly unless you really need a new TV... I'd wait for next-gen technology such as OLED or even better, CLED, even though they don't look like they'll be arriving any time soon.

JABBERJAW
30th March 2013, 12:08 PM
I have researched far more than you think, also, I have played movies on smaller lcds, and they don't look like crap like that. I know they are shot at 24, but the stuttering was completely unacceptable, not just simple ghosting, the tv was constantly trying to catch up. I'm guessing this is an issue with big lcds. I also changed the settings, but to no avail. There was a movie running on that plasma, and there was no stutter at all, so that is the way I'm going to go. Luckily, I already never pause even on a regular tv for long at all, or just turn the tv off while paused. I was getting this for movies more than games.

bought the gt version today, getting it shipped by Thursday.

Kappeskopp!
31st March 2013, 11:30 AM
Hi i have also an samsung TV 37" 200 hz and when i first time conectet my psp to play pure it was terrible!Then i have found in the settings game mode and its worked perfect!Happy Easter!

JABBERJAW
1st April 2013, 12:26 AM
i have watched over the last two days a few other large lcds in movies or basketball games. i now notice alot of stutter/lag/blur on all the brands. i have been watching tube tvs mostly until now, and that is probably the reason I am noticing even the minor stuff. It is enough that it will bother me, so plasma it is.

if you have an lcd, i recommend not hooking up your cable box to an lcd and a tube at the same time, as you would see exactly what im talking about. i did this after my initial trial with the tv.

stin
1st April 2013, 08:07 AM
Have you tested LED yet? I`m due a new TV in the autumn coming. But, I just hate the screen gets burned after certain bright colours, but it was an old 42" LCD Toshiba.

stevie:)

JABBERJAW
1st April 2013, 11:30 AM
that is what it was, an led, but the lcds do the same thing. It seemed more noticeable on an led.