PDA

View Full Version : Help! Net is down...

Colonel
25th January 2013, 12:21 PM
I'm having net connection problems at home (posting this from work). It started this morning. The modem appears to be working fine. Both laptop and desktop say their wireles connection to the router is fine. But when I launch Chrome, no pages load. I tried to open the Security Centre in the Control Panel, to have a mooch about with the fiurewall etc, but it says there's a plugin missing, run32.dll from the Windows system 32 folder.

Anybody got any suggestions? It's very difficult to compile the Group 8 Omnium results and send them if I can't get online at home.

Thanks,

Adam.

blackwiggle
25th January 2013, 12:34 PM
Windows 7 ?
XP?
VISTA?
What are you running.

I'd say it was either a Java or more probably a Adobe product like Flash or Reader that has automatically downloaded the updates, but needs the PC shutting down first to install them.
Try that first.

Only if no joy/result.
Start> All Programs>Accessories> System Tools> System restore.

Also Firefox has been updated VERY recently and is behaving badly from my experience.
Suggest using Internet Explorer in the mean time.

Colonel
25th January 2013, 01:05 PM
Cheers blackwiggle. I'm using Windows XP Service pack 3, with a fairly recent version of Google Chrome. I haven't used Firefox or IE for years.

EDIT - It came back on magically this afternoon. And thank Christ, the next few days would be a nightmare with no internet connection.

MegaGeeza22
25th January 2013, 05:56 PM
Im glad you got it sorted colonel! Maybe someone could help me out? I got a pc for free a few days ago because my friend gave up on it as its broken... Its a vista and the problem is when you switch it on a pop up comes on screen and says something about an app crash and that explorer.exe will restart... It says something about mp4splitter.ax. Then it just does this continuously and i cant click on the start menu or anything! It sucks and all i can do is press ctrl alt delete to bring up the task manager and shut it down. it does this in safe mode too. I hope someone can help because i only have my crappy iphone for internet and getting this pc up and running will help me out a lot!

Darkdrium777
25th January 2013, 10:44 PM
If there's a license key sticker on it or your friend can give you what it is, download a Vista ISO from here (http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/w/microsoft_os/3317.2-3-microsoft-windows-vista-official-iso-download-links-digital-river.aspx), burn it to a CD or prepare a USB boot drive and get to reinstalling the OS. You can do it with 7 too, links here (www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/xd44g).

blackwiggle
25th January 2013, 11:16 PM
Im glad you got it sorted colonel! Maybe someone could help me out? I got a pc for free a few days ago because my friend gave up on it as its broken... Its a vista and the problem is when you switch it on a pop up comes on screen and says something about an app crash and that explorer.exe will restart... It says something about mp4splitter.ax. Then it just does this continuously and i cant click on the start menu or anything! It sucks and all i can do is press ctrl alt delete to bring up the task manager and shut it down. it does this in safe mode too. I hope someone can help because i only have my crappy iphone for internet and getting this pc up and running will help me out a lot!

It's telling you that the portion of explorer that divides MP4 files [most internet streaming video] into separate video and audio files is either missing or more likely corrupt.
Do as Darkdrium recommends and it will reinstall the correct MP4 drivers

MegaGeeza22
26th January 2013, 09:10 AM
Cheers guys, i will try out what you said on monday! Iv also been told that if i use command prompt in safe mode i can uninstall things manually and that i should uninstall this mp4splitter.ax or a programme that it uses. apparently its a codec that has somehow been installed and latched onto explorer.exe on start up.
I tried to reset the computer to its factory settings using command prompt but it said that there was no restore point lol... So i will try the uninstall today and if this fails i will download what you suggested to a disk on monday!
I will let you know how things go!