PDA

View Full Version : Wip3out commercial ONLINE!!!

Hybrid Divide
24th May 2003, 10:09 PM
http://vagrantlogic.1io.org/wip3out.wmv

Yeah, the quality could be better but I had to conserve space.
And the quality of my racing in some of the shots leaves much to be desired too! :-?

If I was actually producing this as a commercial, it would be different.

Most of it was filler, I spent 90% of the time on the opening part with the team animations and the closing part with the ships exploding.

Anyways, thanks for watching.
(If someone else would like to host that file, feel free to do so!) :D

Thanks Wiseman (that was you who gave me the PSX logo animation right?)
I can't remember off the top of my head, my apologies if I get that wrong! :lol:

Wamdue
25th May 2003, 01:25 AM
like I said via the icq, awesome stuff. Very nice cut. Its got a guniune feel to it. Good work!

FoxZero
25th May 2003, 02:24 AM
neat, although for a commercial it is pretty long. it reminds me more of some of the promotional movies at e3 that ran on giant monitors and such. its too bad you hit the walls and missed a few pads in it, cuz the flowing movement is nice otherwise. one of the few times ive ever seen the game move without the controller in my hands :wink:

Hybrid Divide
25th May 2003, 02:28 AM
Yeah, it is a bit long. But it was that way mainly because I had to fill requirements for it. Considering it was a school project and all.

As for my racing... that's not a representation of my skills... except for the successful run through the 90* turns on Manor Top.

I kept trying to get decent takes, but I got tired of having to start over, and then tell the computer to start recording again. I let the preasure get to me ya know? :D

Either way, you gotta admit at least the opening sequence (up through the team animations) and the ending sequence with the explosion were good. Those were what I spent all my time on! 8)

Anyways, thanks for the comments.

lunar
25th May 2003, 03:26 PM
I found it very hard to watch because my internet connection isn`t fast enough and it kept stopping. Kind of spoiled the mood :wink: But what I saw looked very good - especially the start with the team logos, that must`ve taken some time. :D

Please let us know if it ever becomes available in a saveable form.

xEik
25th May 2003, 04:48 PM
You can save it by right-clicking and selecting save target as...

The commercial is neat. I love the intro sequence played backwards (well, forward) and the way you synchronized the end of Xpander with the explosions. Curly's voice at the begining is also cool with that part of the intro.

Now my constructive criticism:

-It is too long (I know you said you had requirements).
-The caps letters in the text don't look good.
-There is some red text that is impossible to read.
-The driving sequences could be improved (no wall banging).
-Xpander is great and the best choice if you only use one song but I would have preferred some mix of two or three of the songs
-The screen where the tracks are chosen doesn't feel right there. It stalls the fast pace of the whole commercial.
-The sequences belonging to the demo display the demo word. It would look better if you covered it with some kind of logo.
-The logo animations have a white border that doesn't look good.
-Curly's 3,2,1 is OK but the GO ! is said too late.
-Driving sequences should switched more quickly. They are individually too long.
-Good to see a prototype but almost omly Mega Mall and Manor Top are showed with a bit of Stanza Inter. No Porto Kora?!

Woah, this has been a long list. In general I like the commercial but these are some of the things that should be addressed from my point of view.

PRACTICE LEADS TO PERFECTION !

Thruster2097
26th May 2003, 03:15 AM
Sorry to seem like a flamer here, xeik, but I feel that the countdown sequence is perfect. In the game, as we all know, you can jump off the line before curly says go. It may not be "technically" accurate, it just has the right feel.
Again, sorry to mention that, wut thats my strong opinon. And thats why I am here, to express opinions.

:vagrantlogic
You are a genius. A god amongst men. You deserve praise and credit for your work, even if it might need a little tweaking to attain perfection.
I bow in your prescence.

Hybrid Divide
26th May 2003, 03:30 AM
:D
Glad you enjoy it! If someone would like to host it, I'd be more than happy to provide a higher quality version. Or perhaps I could send you a CDR with the original AVI on it.
(When I get a job and some income again that is. :wink:

xEik
26th May 2003, 09:48 AM
Sorry to seem like a flamer here
Disagreement is far from flaming. Everyone can have his opinions and, as you said, we're here to express them and, in this precise topic, to discuss Vagrant's commercial.

About the higher quality version, how many Megs are we talking here? I might host it for you. (xEik remembers that he never received some CD from Thruster2097)

Wiseman
29th May 2003, 06:12 AM
-There is some red text that is impossible to read.That's because of the super compression he had to apply to the video, I doubt the original one had the same problem.

Anyway, looks great Vagrant Logic, glad I could help. :D

I hate to point it out, but I did notice one little blunder. On about 2:10, right after the "Plus a hidden 4-player link option!" "Plus a hidden" breifly reappears on the following hyperthrust screen.

One things for sure, your first 3 minute commercial turned out a heck of a lot better than mine did! :wink:

Hybrid Divide
29th May 2003, 06:39 AM
yeah, I noticed that... there's a lot of errors on that video

the sound synch is off on the first gameplay part, in Megamall with Piranah A.
Even in the full version, the red text is kind of hard to read.

Oh well, I got an "A" on the project at any rate! :D

Glad you enjoyed it!

Playstation!
*logo appears in front of pure black*

The Loz
29th May 2003, 10:31 PM
I just watched it. It's really good! *picks up jaw and clicks it back into place* Wish I knew how to make stuff like that.

Loz

Asche XL
10th June 2003, 01:57 AM
The sites down, did you relocate the commercial or take it down?

Hybrid Divide
10th June 2003, 08:12 AM
The site was down? That's odd. try it again later. Seb was probably doing something with the server. *shrugs*

U V
28th June 2003, 10:45 PM
still down, and i was looking forward to watching this aswell

xEik
29th June 2003, 01:13 AM
I decided to mirror it here http://casal.upc.es/~xeik23/archives/wo3commercial.zip

Feel free to download and enjoy Vagrant's work. :)

Caution, 5 MB download ahead. :P

Hybrid Divide
29th June 2003, 08:54 AM
Thanks for hosting the commercial! :D

The guy who hosts my web space is moving or something and I don't know when it'll be back up.
I'll be sure to post it up here when I get it back.

And a bronze E-Pack award for xiEk!

EDIT
And now I just realize that I was spelling your handle wrong the whole time!
That's what a lack of caffeine gets me. :lol:

U V
29th June 2003, 09:37 AM
chears for that, it brought back fond memorys of that game 8)

Synthetic Consciousness
30th June 2003, 09:17 AM
Excellent job! 8)

[Warning: Only elite pilots need apply.]

infoxicated
30th June 2003, 10:35 AM
Finally got round to watching this :)

Really good effort - the end scene with the intro played forwards is pretty cool :D

Thanks for the plug too - the only thing I would change about it is the center aligned text - it can bring down the quality of almost anything.

milady
2nd July 2003, 06:24 PM
hey guys.

is this anywhere online still? can't get it at the mirror either. was thinking of doing a video to go with a friend's music track. the music just sounded so classically wipeoutesque. having not so much fun trying to use a usb framegrabber we bought. playing wipeout on a teenyweeny window isn't putting our racing in the best possible light..

on the upside, finally made it to Custom League! wahey!

and even better than that.. passed my driving test! FINALLY!

on a funny note, a friend is learning how to fly a plane.... and he said he figured out how to do the pedals immediately because they were the same as airbrakes!

regards

m.

Lance
3rd July 2003, 03:29 AM
milady: airbrakes :D yes!
Wipeout IS reality!

Hybrid Divide
3rd July 2003, 03:34 PM
Somewhere down the line perhaps I'll remake that wip3out video with some of the suggestions supplied for a perfect commercial experiance.

Not to mention, better racing! :D

Who knows.