PDA

View Full Version : WipEout 3SE Emulation Domination Cup

FEISAR_ARCH
2nd October 2012, 08:47 PM
Ok, before I go into this, this is not an official championship since emulation is yields variable results that might put others at a disadvantage. Because of this, no times will be posted on the leaderboards, and no titles will be given. This tournament is just for kicks, but there will be only one rule other than the prohibition of cheats, the maintenance of a constant framerate of 25-30 FPS.

Any concerns with the tournament, I'll be happy to field you in on. This is a windows-based emulation cup, you will probably need Intel Core Quad, with Windows 7 as your OS. This is the bare minimum for entry into this cup.

Another concern is the Graphics Card, I use the Nvidia Geforce GT 240 for this. Any Graphics card of equal or better performance, is accepted. But we will not use the Direct X plugin for our ePSXe 1.7.0 configuration. We will use the OpenGL plugin to avoid further variation.

Next is how to set it up:

Windowed mode: 1280x720

Color Depth: 32-bit

Un-tick "keep psx aspect ratio" because we need to enable widescreen correction in-game.

Be sure to get the following patch: pal2ntsc.ppf

Put that patch in the patches directory. Now back to the video config.

Textures:
Quality: R8 G8 B8 A8
Hi-Res Textures: Stretched
Filtering: Extended
Gfx Card VRAM: autodetect

Framerate:
Use FPS Limit
FPS Limit: 25-30 FPS

Compatibility:
Off Screen Drawing: Standard
Framebuffer Textures: Gfx Card Buffer
Framebuffer Access: Emulated vram
Alpha MultiPass
Advanced Blending

No Misc options turned on.

Sound is up to you, make sure it syncs.

Any ideas what the track lineup should be?

faB
3rd October 2012, 01:00 PM
Hmm I might want to participate once I get my XBox 360 controller...

I'm wondering though.. I'm not questioning the rules or anything, but just curious as to what are the best settings for emulation.

Have you tried gpuBladeSoft? It's blocky compared to OpenGL but feels much more solid (imho). I have a 3570K but it's hardly using 30% CPU. I prefer it for Wipeout as the picture feels more stable, whereas OpenGL polygons seem to "jiggle" due to low res coordinates.

What does the pal2ntsc patch do?

Any special reason to use OpenGL over OpenGL2 ?

Do you set framerate limit to get a constant framerate?

EDIT2: Nvm, finally got it to work widescreen+fullscreen, awesome :)

layer555
17th October 2012, 01:26 AM
Sounds like there's not much interest in this but I'd be happy to participate. I actually just recently played 3SE for the first time. I've been running it at 1920 x 1080 with ALL the effects maxed (draw buffering, 2xsai) and still maintained a 60fps. For the interest of this event though I can run it at PSX native settings and 30fps.

As for what tracks? I think we should include some tracks from both leagues AND the prototypes.

AG-wolf
25th October 2012, 07:17 PM
why not use pSX instead? It's a very accurate playstation emulator, the author has tried to emulate every chip and code process in the original machine, rather than using plug-ins for audio and video and all that other stuff like ePSXe

http://psxemulator.gazaxian.com/

the downside is that it doesn't "look pretty," but it requires far less overhead and yields more accurate results.

Also, what does pal2ntsc.ppf patch specifically? Video format alone? Because, remember the lap/checkpoint timers are adjusted for a machine running at PAL speed... how does the game's clock pace itself?