PDA

View Full Version : Removing Black Border From Videos?

Dark_Phantom_89
20th September 2012, 11:28 PM
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone could help me? I'm currently using Windows Live Movie Maker to edit videos, but whenever I import a 1920x1080 HD video, I get a black border surrounding the entire video in the preview. However, when I import a standard 480x320 vid, the preview covers the entire screen and it's fine. If anything, the HD video should cover the entire preview screen because it's in a much better resolution, but why doesn't it?

I've done some research on the Internet and it's all said to change the aspect ratio to 16:9 (widescreen) to remove the borders. I did this, but it's only removed the borders at the top and bottom. The left and right borders still remain. I'm now out of options and don't know what to do. I need those borders removed completely and the video to cover the full preview window like the standard definition videos do, otherwise it won't look right when transferred to DVD.

I do have Pinnacle Studio 12, but it doesn't support the format that my videos are in (mp4.) I do seem to remember reading that a codec can be downloaded to support it, but ideally, I'd like to use WMM because it's easier to edit with for this particular thing.

So, can anyone help me? I'd really appreciate it.

TL;DR: How do I remove the black borders from my videos in Windows Live Movie Maker?

rdmx
21st September 2012, 05:11 AM
I haven't used Windows Movie Maker in a long while, but make sure both your export format is also the correct resolution. You're probably exporting your videos at 4:3. If Windows Movie Maker is anything like I remember it though, it's probably still ruining the quality.

You should really consider a better video editor.

Ragsus Maxima
21st September 2012, 11:53 AM
I've never used Movie Maker, but it's possible that the problem is in the pixel aspect ratio of your video, which also affects the preview window, and thus, the final render.

Is there any option to change the value of the pixel aspect ratio?