PDA

View Full Version : Dumb mistakes that turn out well

blackwiggle
1st September 2012, 12:28 AM
After getting a email, and then talking to somebody that is actually more stupid than me [Hard to imagine I know :P ]
This idiot, after drinking pretty close to 2 bottles of Red wine, decided to go on to Ebay.

Oh yeah!...brilliant [as in the FAST SHOW http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgMgkl-gRxk ]....I woke up the next morning [still partially inebriated, no surprise there] to a Email.
Congratulations , You have won Ebay bid #$@%%...a WTF! moment ensured ....I sat there dumb struck looking at this message, I later imagined it as a comic situation as from Gary Larson who did the Far Side
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=the+far+side&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=cmH&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=np&prmd=imvnsb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=-1BBUObKAeSaiQeoxIHgAw&ved=0CDUQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=907

Anyway, I ended up getting this in the post 2 days later.

OK..this is as described in the sale info, now WTF am I going to do with it?

So after a bit of searching I joined a watch collectors forum, posted some photos of the watch and awaited a reply.
It's in solid white/yellow/rose Gold , with some sort of effect laden onto the surface so the 3 metals look like one.

Turns out I snagged a "one off".
According to the "Experts" at the forum.
I've been told that the Omega Museum in Switzerland doesn't have this model in their collection, and I should contact them as they would want it.
And since it is double boxed, with all paper work, and in mint condition, I could be sitting on a small fortune.

I'll be happy if they do a swap for a couple of new Omegas, as they go for around 5k-6k here in Aus each.

Anyway I look at it, it seems very likely that I have won out of my drunken goof up :rock

Nutcase:259
1st September 2012, 11:16 AM
now WTF am I going to do with it?

Wear it? :P

looks pretty swish. Should take a pilgrimage from Australia to Switzerland to reunite omega hq with their special edition :lol :rock

blackwiggle
3rd September 2012, 08:43 AM
I collect old late 50's to 60's Omegas, every time I have a decent enough win on the horses I put the money towards either getting one I already have fixed up to the max, or as in this case buy another.

The problem I have with one is the watch band construction, it's made up of slithers of the different coloured Golds welded with gold solder to a gold braid on the inside.
It's never been shortened, and I don't want to have it done as 1] I know the value will decrease 2] Finding somebody able to do it without stuffing it up will not be easy 3] Even if I did find somebody it would be very expensive to have done.

I know I won't lose any $$ over it, it's just unless I suddenly get Arthritic swelling around my left wrist the band is about 3cm too long.

I'm in no hurry to sell or swap it, I'll wait till the Omega Museum get's back to me first.