PDA

View Full Version : Controlled Quantum Levitation on a Wipeout Track

Taillo
29th December 2011, 12:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqmdv5iyIOY

stin
29th December 2011, 08:51 AM
That`s awesome! Thank you for showing us your link.

Welcome to the board!

stevie:)

Xpand
29th December 2011, 11:45 AM
That is mind blowing! I wonder what would take to make a 1/4 scale of that technology for large RC ships.

Hellfire_WZ
29th December 2011, 11:49 AM
Love the mini Moa Therma ;) It was interesting to see the original quantum-locking video emerge on YouTube at the exact time I was teaching superconductors to my Year 12 class, saved me a bit of trouble anyway!

JABBERJAW
29th December 2011, 04:28 PM
Great! It was like a full magstrip track. I want this foe the WO tourney next year :)

Olivario
29th December 2011, 08:16 PM
Amazing :clap

Darkdrium777
29th December 2011, 09:36 PM
OH MY GOD THAT'S AMAZING! :hyper

AG-SYSTEMS
30th December 2011, 02:39 PM
/\
What they said.

MyNameIsBom
31st December 2011, 10:13 PM
deleted

mdhay
31st December 2011, 10:40 PM
Forgive me for being cynical, but that looks 3D post-production to me.

Darkdrium777
1st January 2012, 02:46 AM
Quantum levitation is a real and possible thing. It requires a constantly cooled superconductor (hence the liquid N2 tanks inside the ships) and finely tuned magnetic fields created using electric currents.
The problems with this is are:
1. Superconductor requirement.
2. There is no steering possible, as the ships are quantum locked on the track. The track can go in circles, but the ships will follow it always at the same altitude and relative position.

AG-SYSTEMS
1st January 2012, 03:30 AM

Nope it's not CG. It does not have the tell-tale signs.

amplificated
1st January 2012, 03:57 AM
The problems with this is are:
1. Superconductor requirement.
2. There is no steering possible

1. Cars need an engine, too
2. ? Use levitation for keeping the ships in the air and use alternate methods for propulsion (otherwise it would just be the track pushing the ship), then use wings and airbrakes to steer, and probably more magnets to assist.

The real problem is making the levitation strong enough to support hundreds of kilos, which I am sure would be both energy expensive and inefficient compared to other less exotic forms of locomotion. And let's not forget how expensive this would be on a large scale.

JABBERJAW
1st January 2012, 03:02 PM
It looked like steering was possible, the craft changed lanes. Also, the propulsion/ turning seemed to be handled by the joystick. No sliding though, as the ships are held in a position

Flint Fandango
1st January 2012, 03:32 PM
That´s really impressive and awesome! Thanks for sharing that video! :clap

Xpand
1st January 2012, 03:41 PM
The real problem is making the levitation strong enough to support hundreds of kilos, which I am sure would be both energy expensive and inefficient compared to other less exotic forms of locomotion. And let's not forget how expensive this would be on a large scale.

High frequency alternating high voltage currents have the power to lift metal at ambient temperature with immense strenght. You can probably put the electrical generator in the ship and the metal on the track. The "levitator" powerplant can be some sort of battery that can be recharged before every race and, if needed, recharged in an instant by induction like in the WOXL and WO3 pit lanes.

SpeedKAng96
1st January 2012, 04:47 PM
That's just... bloody amazing!:hyper

Oryx Crake
1st January 2012, 05:50 PM
NEED ONE OF THOSE NAO! - Oryx & Syrennia

Colonel
2nd January 2012, 12:13 AM
Absolutely awesome, very impressive indeed. Would be cool to see a larger one, the size of a decent scalextric.

yawnstretch
2nd January 2012, 11:40 AM
For those doubting the veracity of this truly AWESOME video here's another thread with previous proof of concept: http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8406

Taillo's video is far more wipe'out oriented though! Thank you for sharing with us Taillo.

What a start to 2012!!! I'm so excited. It finally feels like my generation is getting a seriously cool and futuristic new invention.

Ecstasy!!!!

kaori
3rd January 2012, 02:48 PM
This is Moa Therma ? It is poorly done ! :lol no I'm joking, it's awesome.

zeeZ
3rd January 2012, 04:30 PM
Japan, eh? They're just the ones who actually might pull this off :D

Frailavi
3rd January 2012, 04:31 PM
I was waiting for someone to use a Quake.

zeeZ
4th January 2012, 12:19 AM
Hah, look whose video they chose to embed in that article:
http://geekbeat.tv/wipeout-comes-to-life-with-quantum-levitation/
Hellfire's an internet rockstar now? ;)

manthony_Higgs
4th January 2012, 01:47 AM
Does anyone else think that this looks a little (dare I say it) fake? Just look at the models when they go around the loop for the first time.

Temet
4th January 2012, 09:39 AM
I think it's a fake... but I do want a mini AG-Sys replica! :g

Xpand
4th January 2012, 10:43 AM
Sorry Temet, no it isn't:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws6AAhTw7RA

The only thing they figured out on the track was how to replace magnetic fields with electromagnetic fields of the same intensity and how to change those EM fields in order to control the ships...

Temet
4th January 2012, 11:53 AM
I saw this vid mate ;)
I also saw the wipeout vid on a French website (with the real video too), where they highly suspect the vid to be fake. There are anomalies with the smoke apparently.
I didn't say it's not possible though, just that I think this vid is a fake ;)

yawnstretch
4th January 2012, 01:27 PM
A lot of people think this is fake because they don't know about quantum locking which is admittedly a recent revelation (and before anyone says it was around in the fifties, I've seen the meissner and other magnetic effects before but until those guys at Tel Aviv made their video last year, this kind of "locking" was mostly unheard of).

Although this video is faked superconducting, magnetic, mid-air locking as shown in the video is now real.

If I was a student I'd be doing everything possible to be working with quantum locking. The advertising potential for trade shows would be phenomenal.

Xpand
4th January 2012, 03:49 PM
If I was a student I'd be doing everything possible to be working with quantum locking. The advertising potential for trade shows would be phenomenal.

I chose my university course thanks to this exact topic. To make wipeout ships come true. I'm on my first year but I want to investigate superconductors and quantum locking. And by the way: It's a goddamn hard course... It takes a lot of studying and when I said I wanted to follow physics engineering people asked me if I was mad... which I am, a little bit...

Sausehuhn
4th January 2012, 10:23 PM
I didn't say it's not possible though, just that I think this vid is a fake ;)

You seem to be right; look at the smoke trails closely and how they go through the looping’s track surface.
Apart from that it looks really, really good and I did not spot the CGI at first.

Then, on the other hand, this technology is possible already.

mdhay
4th January 2012, 11:16 PM
Told ya so. :P

In all seriousness, it's good to see that this actually can work. Can see a lot of use for it, that's for sure.

Xpand
4th January 2012, 11:24 PM
The smoke is weird, but I wouldn't call it a fake just yet. You see, that is liquid nitrogen condensating. It's lighter than air so any air displacement caused by the ships will affect the nitrogen smoke. And you can see that the size of the wind vortex corresponds to the size of the ship's frontal cross section.
Here's a video that shows the smoke when filling a cup with liquid N2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_JeAuJpMis

and a much better one with rapid motion of an object that shoots out N2 gas:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvatmPlKOYQ

yawnstretch
5th January 2012, 08:59 AM
That's what I thought the first time I watched it but if you go to 1.14 I think it is you can see the smoke trails going over the foreground in a CG only kind of way.

The tech is real but this video is not.

infoxicated
5th January 2012, 12:42 PM
Really obviously, too.

From the shaky cam, to the scrambled name badge, to the "Japanese Institute of Technology" *cough* having a GMail address.

The augmented reality ships done with the Vita look more realistic, although the track looks neat, I'll give them that! :)

Hellfire_WZ
5th January 2012, 06:44 PM
Xpand - Skip to about 0:45 when you see the controller for the first time. If you look around the edges of the controller, you can see the track disappearing. It's a definite fake unfortunately.

However, it's generated a ton of traffic for my Through The Ages video so I'm not complaining! ;)

MyNameIsBom
6th January 2012, 01:07 AM
deleted

Xpand
6th January 2012, 01:18 AM
Well, weirdly enough, the info they give on the beggining is correct... And, like the quantum locking demonstration of that round magnet track with the supercooled disk, this could be done the same way...

Flint Fandango
6th January 2012, 10:52 AM
@bom: There´s a difference between producing a fake video to obviously entertain people and trying to kid them by pretending it´s real. Just my 2 cents...

It´s a nice imagination anyway, so I don´t take it amiss. :)

Ragsus Maxima
6th January 2012, 01:28 PM
Although the video is a fake (unfortunately), it was really well done, and also, the possibility is still real and maybe in 30 years or so we could watch AG races for real. ;)

On the other hand, that video has the power to be rewatched, whether fake or not; don't doubt it. ^^

AG-SYSTEMS
6th January 2012, 06:38 PM
It's fake, I repeal my statement. No tell-tale CGI shine, but the elements blend too cleanly.

What it is is green screen with fake smoke.

Still, it's very possible.

Sausehuhn
19th January 2012, 04:12 PM
Hoax quantum levitation video by Montreal students a hit on YouTube (http://montreal.openfile.ca/blog/curator-blog/exclusive/2012/hoax-quantum-levitation-video-montreal-students-hit-youtube) ;)

mdhay
19th January 2012, 04:30 PM
Bazinga! :P

Yeah, enough gloating, I'll stop now. :P

Hellfire_WZ
26th January 2012, 05:29 PM
Here's a video showing how they did it :)

EDIT - Ah knackers, it's been removed

AiiRW0LF
21st April 2012, 02:36 PM
Awsome!
I´l hope to see such a race in my lifetime