PDA

View Full Version : Pilot's Cramp

Challenger #001
20th October 2011, 09:27 PM
Has anyone else suffered from this?

Past few months, whenever I've been trying to play WipEout, I get a severe ache in various parts of my thumb. Sometimes it's the pad of it from pressing against the analogue stick, sometimes it's an ache in the base of it where it connects to my hand. Either way, it's making the game nigh on impossible to play.

I don't have this issue with any other games, just WipEout. Switching to the d-pad alleviates the problem slightly but not by much. Is this usual after playing the game for a while?

trackripper
20th October 2011, 09:28 PM
Well the only thing I can really contribute to this is that I've always used the d-pad and never had any aches of any kind...

Colonel
20th October 2011, 09:47 PM
Like trackripper I've only ever used d-pad. I find it uncomfortable to use the left analogue stick and L2 together, so I can imagine the cramp you're on about.

Archon
20th October 2011, 10:00 PM
I've had aches with shooters or fighting games where I'm using an analog stick and shoulder trigger on the same side. The cramps will run from the inside of my thumb to the groove in between my index and middle finger. You're basically creating a clamp with your thumb and index/middle finger which is not healthy.

Since you're pressing L2 a lot, try turning your wrist when you have to press L2 so you're not still gripping the analog stick (similar to a vibrato motion guitar players use). Marksman always say to squeeze rather than pull the gun trigger, so make sure you're not pressing the L2 trigger the way you'd press the L1 button.

If all else fails, see if relaxing your grip lets you hit everything lightly but still precisely. I tend to hug my whole hand against the side of the controller but the more dexterity a game requires, the looser and more mobile my hands become.

Challenger #001
20th October 2011, 10:05 PM
Problem with reference to the triggers is that I'm not currently using an official Sony controller. I'm actually using a cheapo knock-off after my PS3 got delivered to my new house without one of my controllers. It's one of these:

http://www.game.co.uk/en/gameware-di-ps3-wired-controller-73019?pageSize=20&categoryIdentifier=21356&attributeName1=Catalog_GameSalesCatalog_EN_GB&attributeValue1=4294966781

Which has no motion control (so that's out), and button-press L2 and R2 buttons instead of the triggers that the standard one has.

Also, the turbo button isn't going to help me in events. Activated in a Phantom race, it limits my speed to Venom class.

Archon
20th October 2011, 10:12 PM
Do you use your index finger to hit both L1 and L2? If the ache is moreso in your thumb, try using your index on L1 and middle finger on L2. And make sure you're pivoting your wrist, not pushing and pulling your thumb back and forth.

Challenger #001
20th October 2011, 10:26 PM
I think I've been doing all you've described as being wrong, Archon. :/ I've used index finger for the trigger buttons, and I move my thumb rather than my wrist.

I guess i'm going to have to do some gamer physiotherapy...

blackwiggle
21st October 2011, 01:26 PM
Yeah I can get it pretty bad if I try to use the sticks and L2R2, so I gave up even trying to master that control configuration after a while.
Nearly as bad with D-Pad and L2R2, it's just the stretch that causes it.
Getting bad cases of D-Pad thumb over the years, to the extent my thumb nail has fallen off [especially when any new Wipeout game appears] has been worse than any cramp though, I must say.

I've recently been playing around with polymer clay [it's a cheap and easily bought plastic clay that you can shape into anything you like, and then bake in any household oven at 150C so it sets hard].
I think I'll try out making some different versions of more comfortable D-pads [one that makes barrel rolls a lot easier to pull off] and differently shaped sticks [concave tops instead of domed, my thumbs always slip off the domed ones], maybe even some different sort of triggers, who knows, there is plenty of options.

If anybody else wants to try doing the same, I'd just like to recommend KATO brand polymer clay, reason being it is the strongest once cured and resists chipping, it also holds fine detail in it.
Any bits you make I'd recommend to be 1" thick or less, as there can be problems curing it, or if a bit is thicker than 1", cut it in half, cure the two bits, then glue them back together.
The other brand clays are quite a bit softer and IMHO not really up to the job.

DreamyElf
21st October 2011, 02:44 PM
Never had any cramps at Wipeout.
I had problems with the L2/R2 buttons in others games though.

The only major problem i have with Wipeout, is having headaches and my eyes hurt a little after i play for a bit.
That's why don't play much lately...

MyNameIsBom
22nd October 2011, 11:22 AM
deleted

trackripper
22nd October 2011, 11:27 AM
Actually, Chal, I've just remembered there was a time where I had some sort of pain near the joint of my thumb while playing WipEout, and it was from gripping the controller too tightly. Also, once I flipped around from using L2R2 to L1R1, the pain went away. Experiment with controls?