PDA

View Full Version : SkyDrift

G'Kyl
22nd September 2011, 05:24 AM
I know the game's been mentioned in some other thread, but I think this deserves its own. If you haven't done so already, give this one a look! I was reluctant as anything, cause all I knew about it was “air combat” and “stinky old planes”, which I guess reminded me of Red Baron or whatever. ;) Well, it's not that kind of game. What it is is a surprisingly good racing game in the line of Quantum Redshift, N-Gen Racing, M.A.C.H. and the likes.

It has six (I think) quite beautiful locations (which you can fly reverse as well), very good controls, a standard set of weapons (missiles, mines, shockwave, shield etc,) and a pretty bad soundtrack. You can't everything, I suppose. ;) You can change the difficulty and on the hardest setting it's actually quite challenging, which I like. Also, they borrowed the weapons system from Rollcage, where you collect up to two different weapons and get bigger versions if you collect the same weapon twice. Plus, there are post-race medals somewhat similar to WOHD.

It's fast, but it's not the fastest game in standard races. It gets real fast in speed races though, where they place boost rings all over the track and in between tiny cracks in some of the rocks – which is a lot of fun if you make it through. Seriously, give the demo a try! (Even though I don't know if there is one for the PSN version.) It's not Racing Game of the Year material, but I think it's one of the most fun racers around and certainly one of the best excuses for not playing WipEout! Also, we could race each other online! :)

Ben

leungbok
22nd September 2011, 06:28 AM
youhou, another wiper on skydrift ! :hyper:
yes there's a demo on psn, no speed race anyway, you need the full game for that, but you can have some races online (also limited but gives a good overview of the fun that can can offer ;))
A good way to have fun & fast races untill 2048 :beer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkU-CCpr3jY

JABBERJAW
22nd September 2011, 11:05 PM
That's pretty fast, looks good in that mode, and hard. Is there any catch up in it? I couldn't tell

MENGKESHI
22nd September 2011, 11:37 PM
I just started too! I notice you guys set all the records using the first plane (cant remember its name) - any reason you chose that one? speed and boost are both crap. Also anyone have tips on how to refill boost quickly by doing "stunts"? Hope to see everyone online!

leungbok
23rd September 2011, 05:50 AM
Is there any catch up in it?
You mean a feature that makes the last pilot faster ? No!! There's way to be faster (like taking some risks, flying very low or very close to the rocks or structures to get more propulsion) but no unfair help ! :) And yes the speed and feeling is totally different on speed races. Power races = venom (but fun anyway and not based on luck), speed races = phantom IMO :beer
Skyline is the second plane in fact ;) It's a very good overall plane, despite the stats he has a good behavior on air, pretty stable, fast enough and his boost is good !
To be fast and refill boost, fly very close to the ground as much as possible, and use that boost to reach supersonic as much as possible also !
I look forward meeting some of you online ! :)

MENGKESHI
23rd September 2011, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the tips Leungbok, I was trying to roll to get boost but it wasn't really working lol

JABBERJAW
23rd September 2011, 07:19 PM
That sounds really good

RedScar
23rd September 2011, 08:38 PM
It does look fun, but I'd rather play if on the PC when it comes out then on my PS3. Who knows :(

Amorbis
24th September 2011, 12:10 AM
Reminds me of Plane Crazy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD4Px9ij8aM&feature=related) on the PC, which I had about 12 years ago. I was awful at it but that stop me from having fun.

I have a Logitech Flight Stick that I could use for SkyDrift but I don't think it works with the PS3. I can always download the demo and give it a go, I'm sure it'll be fine with a pad.

Colonel
30th September 2011, 02:03 PM
This looks like a lot of fun, I'll grab the demo this weekend. Cheers G'Kyl :)

leungbok
30th September 2011, 02:55 PM
Especially since wipers should be immediately comfortable with the gameplay ;)
my SkyDrift's playlist : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2KLvJb5hx8&list=PL59DA8B24D19AC897&feature=plpp

Colonel
2nd October 2011, 12:12 AM
Well I downloaded the demo this afternoon and what a game! I bought the full version after 30 mins. It's ace, great intuitive control system, very responsive, and awesome gameplay. I fully intend to nail this game, it's great. I Really recommend it, it's the first game other than Wipeout HD that has held my attention for more than about an hour. Feels a bit like WO in some ways, with a bit of Blur thrown in for good measure. But it's unfair to compare it to other games, it's excellent on its own merit.

Many thanks G'kyl and leungbok :)

leungbok
2nd October 2011, 06:28 AM
Cool, i will send you a friend invit on my BADTEST account ! :)

Albino Ace
11th October 2011, 03:27 AM
Only found out about this game a week or so ago, bought the full thing a few days ago (on XBL, no PS3)

Pretty fun...liking Ace Combat as well as WipEout, I had to give it a try! :P

Quite fond of the weapons system, and how converting weapons to boost is less effective the further in front you are, as well as it being harder to "steal" weapons since they respawn quicker (not to mention being less random). Ground-hugging is very helpful, as Leung pointed out. I've found myself using the Panther the most, which seems akin to most incarnations of Assegai. Very helpful mobility for Speed Races...before I unlocked that, the more conventional-looking Cooper was my choice plane.

JABBERJAW
15th October 2011, 01:21 PM
So there is CPU assist? Only in weapon mode?

leungbok
15th October 2011, 01:39 PM
Hmmm, i thought that respawn's delays were due to the location where you leave the track or explode instead of your place in the race.
I don't know about weapon races, i play almost only speed races :D

JABBERJAW
16th October 2011, 06:13 PM
Sorry, I was talking about LESS BOOST because you are further ahead

leungbok
16th October 2011, 09:10 PM
You fill yourself your boost gauge when you absorb items, and boost power seems to be the same no matter your place on the race ! ;)