PDA

View Full Version : Jack Layton's Last Letter

Medusa
22nd August 2011, 05:26 PM
If you are Canadian, you know who Jack Layton was. He just passed away from cancer and was the Leader of the Opposition in Canada's Parliament. He led the New Democratic Party to that position for the first time in history, only to pass away now. He wrote a last letter to Canadians, and I want to post the last paragraph of it here, because regardless of politics schmolitics, these are great words to live by:

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.

All my very best,

Jack Layton"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2011/08/22/pol-layton-last-letter.html

Syrennia
22nd August 2011, 05:45 PM
It's a great loss for Canada... Honestly, Layton would have made a great Prime Minister or if not, at the very least, better than what we have now. It's a shame to see him go. I find that he was someone one could place their hopes of a better population-minded future for the country. :(

Darkdrium777
22nd August 2011, 05:50 PM
Oh really. Shoot! :(
I knew he was in bad shape but I thought he could get better again like last time. So sad.

Syrennia
22nd August 2011, 06:00 PM
Oh really. Shoot! :(
I knew he was in bad shape but I thought he could get better again like last time. So sad.

He had a cancer that he rather not name. Sigh... Poor guy. :(

Flint Fandango
22nd August 2011, 06:21 PM
I´m not a Canadian and I´ve not heard of that man before, but I perceive the words of a visionary when I see them.
It is a great bequest and an even greater loss for your country.

Thanks for posting this letter, it´s also an inspiration for other countries and their politicians.

RedScar
22nd August 2011, 09:55 PM
I'm not an NDP by a long shot, but I have to give it to a man who stayed in politics as long as he did and achieved what he did while never selling himself out. Condolences to his family and friends.