PDA

View Full Version : Air combat !

FirstDave
21st July 2011, 05:26 PM
Hi all. I,m wanting a decent air combat game for my ps3.At the moment i only have IL-2 Sturmovik Birds of prey on my PSP which i dont find that good to be honest.But whats it like on a ps3 and is there something better out there.The last one i had was Afterburner on my Amiga 500 many years ago which was ok at the time.:)

Dave.

trackripper
21st July 2011, 05:32 PM
HAWX and HAWX 2 are the only decent ones currently around, if you wait a bit though, Ace Combat: Assualt Horizon is coming out in a few months...

FirstDave
21st July 2011, 05:45 PM
Thanks trackripper, I had seen recently seen on a games forum someone said that hawx 3 was due out soon, do you think it would be worth waiting for it.If it is due.

Dave.

trackripper
21st July 2011, 06:05 PM
Personally, I have HAWX, and previous games in the Ace Combat series, and if I'm honest, the HAWX series is alright, not top notch like the older Ace Combat games, but playable. The new Ace Combat is somewhat disappointing from what I can make out from the trailer, and it seems like they've just taken the plot from Modern Warfare and added planes, but I'd still go for the AC over HAWX.

rdmx
21st July 2011, 06:09 PM
HAWX 2 imo was kinda awful. Too much side distraction stuff which can't be replayed - all those UAV sections. I wanted to fly jets! Not listen to the game's boring plot. HAWX 1 was much better in this respect

Also the lasers at the end are a pitiful, artificial way to add difficulty to the last level.

FirstDave
22nd July 2011, 06:42 PM
I think i will give Hawx a go and it looks decent on the old youtube.Cheers everyone.:beer

DAVE.

feisar rocket
22nd July 2011, 07:06 PM
Dave, get After Burner Climax!

FirstDave
22nd July 2011, 07:53 PM
Thanks i didnt even know you could get afterburner on ps3.Right i,m off to see if i can see some gameplay footage.Cheers mate.:P

Dave.

trackripper
22nd July 2011, 08:06 PM
...Afterburner? Seriously?
*facepalm*
Sorry, but I just don't think that game is up there with HAWX and Ace Combat, it somehow feels arcadey... Although that's just my personal preference, if you want more arcadey-style games then by all means go for that.

FirstDave
25th July 2011, 05:06 PM
Right,After looking at both afterburner and hawx i would say afterburner is like what modnation racers is to gt5 looks like good fun but i think hawx 2 fits the bill and is very cheap used but i have one querie which is do you get any codes with a new game that are needed for dlc or online as i think any that come with a used game would not be valid.:)

Dave.

trackripper
25th July 2011, 09:32 PM
+1, brilliant analogy :P

As far as I know, HAWX 1 came with some generic Left Right Left Right Up Down Up Down codes that unlocked special aircraft and it could be used multiple times (I bought it used). Online doesn't require any codes, just load the disc and hit online :) No free DLC codes as far as I'm aware, although this is for HAWX 1, so I'm assuming HAWX 2 is similar.

RedScar
26th July 2011, 02:30 AM
HAWX is a horrible game in my opinion. The silly "turn off the flight computer" mechanic is annoying and way to arcade for me. There really hasn't been a decent flight combat game that isn't silly arcade or true sim. Ace combat is probably the closest but its still got a way to go towards sim in my opinion.

trackripper
26th July 2011, 09:21 AM
Yes but Dave here wants a game ASAP, and out of all the ones on the market right now, HAWX is probably the best if he's not willing to wait until Oct/Nov for Ace Combat Assault Horizon...

infoxicated
27th July 2011, 01:51 PM
Ace Combat 4 was the last one for me that felt like it had some grounding as a flight sim. After that they got a bit more arcadey, which is a big shame as the visuals are so polished.

I'm hoping that the new Ace Combat game on PS3 isn't too arcadey, but from the trailer it looks like they've completely sold out on any attempt to behave like a sim. :|

trackripper
28th July 2011, 01:57 PM
I know, admittedly the new one looks rather too arcadey, everything seems to be on-rails with the new camera etc etc. I just hope the old control methods stay.