PDA

View Full Version : What's Toronto like as a place to live?

SaturnReturn
1st June 2011, 11:28 PM
Hi all

I know there are some folks from Toronto on the forum (whether they still visit is another question), and I expect some people have visited there too, so I was hoping for some advice.

I've been a bit miserable/depressed recently and it's largely job related, but am also feeling that my life here has just stalled in many ways. It's kind of hard for an introverted person to make friends and stuff in a really introverted country. Plus I feel stuck in a never-ending cycle of going to work and coming home and getting stuck into some heavy procrastination.

I'm working on a job in Toronto at the moment (remotely from London) and am currently training a guy from Toronto too. He seems really friendly and it's been fun having him around and the general vibe of office life in Toronto (in our specific firm at least) sounds more appealing to me. It also sounds like there is more opportunity to learn the kind of stuff I want to and my salary would potentially be much higher, with much better opportunities for promotion etc. All around it sounds decent, assuming this guy from there isn't just trying to lure me over to prevent himself from having to do the boring work for too long. But I'll put my natural skepticism aside for now.

So I'm looking for some advice along the lines of the following:
1. Generally what's the place like?
2. Does anyone have meaningful and reliable comparisons of living costs compared with London, or anything to watch out for that I might not automatically factor in, like a tax on snow shoes or something?
3. Are there any things to really watch out for that I should be aware of, i.e. major down sides. For example, if there were no tea in Canada, or if they only get nasty US vomit flavoured Hershey chocolate (no offence to Americans but if you're not used to it then that's totally what it tastes like), or if the girls all grow beards to stay warm in winter, then any one of those may put me off.
4. Climate wise - are winters terribly unbearable or are they a kind of crisp dry cold, which is usually quite awesome?

I can spend lots of time googling but still wouldn't necessarily trust the answers I get so anyone here with any experiences of Toronto to offer can feel free to chime in.

blackwiggle
1st June 2011, 11:39 PM
Task is the bloke to ask, but as you probable know he hasn't visited since march 27th.
maybe if you shot him a friends request he will spot the email automatically sent and respond.

Mad-Ice
2nd June 2011, 05:35 AM
Hi Saturn,

A very serious post with some good humour too! It really sounds like you need a big change in your life! I would say: Go for it! To be able to live and work in a different country is so good, it really give a new prepective to the life you have been living before. All the things you have summed up are inferior to the opportunity for you to be able to experience some new and fresh. I wish you strenght and guts to take the plunch into the deep.

As far as I know Spaceboy Gajo (WZ) Spaceboy-G (on PSN) is living in Toronto too. Also Flashback_Jack is living in Toronto. I remember they did some great Wipeout meetings and sometimes they were with 4 or even 5 pilots.

Greetz Mad-Ice

rdmx
2nd June 2011, 05:41 AM
You could even move to Australia
http://www.reddit.com/r/australia/comments/hijrg/want_to_move_to_australia_great/

Kyonshi
2nd June 2011, 06:30 AM
I dont live in Toronto, but living in Québec's metropolis, Montréal, i can give you somehow a good hint about living in Canada. Toronto is also THE metropolis of Canada, the biggest city where most of what happens in the country happens there.

First the climate is a big issue for foreigners. Winter is the harsh season of course. Where i live it can go down -35°C with wind factor. Typical snowstorm have 60km/h winds, and snow accumulation reaches 30cm, in average. Toronto is a bit southward from Montréal, but they also can get damn cold weather and heavy snowstorms. Take in account that they are on the Great Lakes shores, where winds can be kinda strong (Chicago ain't called "Windy City" for nothing...). Winter here is humid, not dry. The icy air get through your bones if you dont wear the appropriate clothing. You have no choice but to get great quality gear to go out during winter. Canada Goose, North Face and such winter coats are the best. Rest assured, those weather conditions are not happening everyday, but at some point during winter, they will happen sooner or later.

Otherwise, spring, summer and fall are great, very sustainable. The opposite of winter, summer, is very hot and humid too. It can reach 30°C in the most extreme hot days. Otherwise, it turns around 25°C.

Cost of living in Canada is pretty decent. We did suffer from the economical crysis, but nothing catastrophic like the US. Minimum wage is around 10$ here (6,28£). Take note that you'll have shitload of money when you'll convert UK pounds in canadian dollars. Job opportunities is still going decent in Canada. We aren't going bankrupt at all. If you have good knowledge, education and experience, you can get a secure and decent job. Canada is well opened to foreign workers, the country is very well oriented toward multi-culturalism. The only issue about cost of life is appartements and houses. In large urbanized areas like Toronto and Montréal, renting an appartement can be be expensive. In Montréal, finding a decent place with at least 4 rooms is around 700$ to 900$/month (439,67 to 565,29£). The more you are far from centralized areas, like if you search in suburban areas, you can find a bit lower, but overall you'll have to consider a good amount of cash for this. Food, gas, clothing, studies have decent costs. Energy (hydro-electricity) is property of the state, like health-care. Immigrants get beneficiate from a good helping hand from the autorities. Take note that since Canada is part of the Commonwealth, you wont need a special visa to work here, for a period of 6 months. I could be wrong somewhere in this, but im sure i heard this once.

So far, thats what you need to know the most. Like i said im from Montréal, not Toronto, but i think i gave you the basics. Once you talked with someone from overthere, you'll get the whole picture. I hope your future endeavours are successful my friend!:D:+

amplificated
2nd June 2011, 03:03 PM
I read that a recent report claimed people's quality of life in Canada was amongst the top of the world rankings; second only to Australia's.

I've personally never been to the country myself, but everyone I know who has been there has had nothing but good things to say; although only one of them lived there for a prolonged period of time.
I wouldn't mind visiting at some time, also.

I have to say though: 30C is not hot... 30C is a nice summer's day! :lol

Medusa
2nd June 2011, 09:58 PM
Hey, I shave my beard for summer thank you very much :p

Really though, +1 to everything Kyonshi said. If you can't handle winter you may well die during it! There is plenty of great tea here, you shouldn't have any trouble there (unless you expect good tea to be readily available at cafes-that's trickier).

Toronto gets humid summers and humid winters, so it feels colder than it is in winter and hotter than it is in summer.

You should PM Task for more details if you need, the Mod with all the TO info you may ever need.

SaturnReturn
2nd June 2011, 10:02 PM
People keep mentioning humid, but what does that mean in real terms? Is it going to be any worse than a horrible muggy and smoggy London where I have to get on the sweaty Underground every day? I'm guessing it probably wouldn't be.

Thanks for the advice so far people. I've heard similar stories on rental prices from everyone, so that's good. Does anyone have sites for checking out the cost of buying properties, such as a one or two bedroom flat type thing? I'm clueless and all I find is flashy houses that are CAD $ 2,000,000.

Medusa
2nd June 2011, 10:09 PM
Try going to kijiji.ca and selecting Toronto (GTA) as the region. Then browse and enjoy.

blackwiggle
2nd June 2011, 10:19 PM
Despite the weather [I mean Toronto's average summer temp is only 8- 9 c higher than Sydneys coldest winter day] the cost of living would have to be a lot less than Sydney, which makes it very appealing to me.

Rent's here are absolutely ridiculous, a average 2 bedroom apartment [if you could find one] in one of the inner suburbs would cost you easily Aus$700-750 per week, and our $ is worth more than the US atm :eek.
The average house around where I live rent out for around $1500 PW.
A crappy little inner city workers cottages with not enough room to swing a cat, in Surry Hills/Redfern would cost you well over $1 million to buy.

Plus we had state Government sell off the electricity services, so we have had 3 price hikes and another coming in July over the last 2years, average cost per quarter for a single person would be around Aus $300 -350 depending on how water was heated etc.

Running a car is about as bad as rent due to fuel costs.

The only thing that is relatively well priced is food, lots of choice and not that expensive.

Nobody "Lives" in Sydney any more, they just survive the best they can because it's so expensive.

Kyonshi
2nd June 2011, 10:46 PM
@Amplificated

Don't worry, i dont whine about our hot summer days!:D Believe me, i prefer by far sweating like a pig in summer than freezing to death in winter...:lol

@Saturn

Humidity can reach 70% in winter, and 100% in summer during extreme cases. You can cut yourself a cube of humidity with a knife and keep it for any future use. :P Its DAMP, your clothes stick to your skin just by taking a walk. Air conditioning is mandatory, even more if you live in dense urban areas, like me. But like i said, the average summer day still wanders around 25 to 27°C, with average 60 to 70% humidity. From to time, a heat wave will occur for sure at least once, somewhere during the season. Last year, we had one lasting one full week in Montréal. People were going nuts! And im not talking of the southern US, people were dying out there...

Now you were asking for property costs... In Montréal, its quite insane for a house. Nothing under 200 000$ and at this price, its far from mint condition. You have to pay at least 300 000$ for a decent house, and this is without city taxes yet. The most popular solution here is condominiums. For an average 4½ rooms (the half is always the bathroom), prices starts at 180 000$, and the building is in good condition. There's a big boom of those properties being built here, its very popular because of course you own it and its compact. Resale value is great too. So i presume that its pretty much the same situation in Toronto, which is bigger than Montréal. Prices could be a bit higher, but the city is much more spreaded over in peripheral areas around downtown. You may have more choices, opportunities and even find a house with a nice backyard.

SaturnReturn
24th June 2011, 09:36 PM
Thanks again for the info folks.

Just an update - I've asked for a short term placement with the Toronto office. My line manager was positive about it, but they have to get budget approved. He suggested 2 weeks but I know that's almost nothing considering the amount of work I have to do on my project in Toronto, so I suggested 4 weeks. I might even see if I can stay longer if it goes well, although I think my line manager would be reluctant for me to be away for that long.

Anyway, it's still positive news and hopefully something to look forward to.

If that doesn't work out, or if it does and I really like it there, then I might consider bailing on the UK more long term and applying for the open permanent position over there - would probably be around a 2 year minimum stay. We shall see.

RedScar
24th June 2011, 11:32 PM
Let it be known that Toronto Winters are some of the most warm in the country. I have family (currently living with them) about an hour and a half north of the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) and it will drop in temperature by 5 C sometimes when I traveled between them and downtown. Yes it is humid, ie read temperature is high 20's, feels like mid to high 30s. I've already dealt with one really bad day this year, thankfully we haven't had one as bad since.

I took my post secondary in TO and lived downtown (http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=neill+wycik&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl) for 8 months of the year (the cold ones XD). It was small but the rent was insanely low since it was a "student" coop. $440ish (it goes up every year, last was $447) but that included water and elec, which you will not be able to match in the area. Rent very much depends on where you are in the city, further from the core the cheaper it gets generally. Can't say prices since I got lucky with that coop, but I had friends paying $350/month with 4 other roommates and a 30 min Transit commute. If your looking to buy then that is a whole different story. I'd say rent first and do some research and scouting for a area you'd like/ can afford. Saves you from having to make the huge commitment right off the bat when you might not know exactly what you want.

City has its good and bad, lots of stuff to do but the transit system (TTC, Toronto transit commission) is utter **** quality and expensive for what it is. If you plan on biking to work, also know that cyclists and drivers in TO hate each other with a fiery passion. Bike lanes are entirely dependent on the area, and I know the City just gave the go on removing some bike lanes along one of the busier street. Walking is best I found, although if the weather doesn't permit it can be a pain.

I could ramble on, but I don't know what specifically you have to ask. Just PM me if you have any more questions and I will do my best to answer. 8)

SaturnReturn
25th June 2011, 02:09 PM
The project I'm working on is actually for TTC. I'll let them know that they suck. :P How bad is it really though? At the moment I pay almost £200 a month to get to work and the trains run on time approximately 1% of the time. I'm not sure it gets worse than London when it comes to price vs. service on public transport - not in the western world anyway (although I have heard NYC transit sucks too so could be completely wrong on that one).

JABBERJAW
25th June 2011, 03:31 PM
There is a crazy guy named Jay West who resides there. You DON'T want to go there! :)

Medusa
25th June 2011, 03:39 PM
Great news Saturn! Hope at the very least you get some fun times out of it.

RedScar
25th June 2011, 03:57 PM
Well its $3 CAD per ride one way, or monthly pass goes for $111 CAD (+tax = $126 CAD) right now. So for overfilled, slow, and never on time service you get kinda close to where you wanted and walk another 5 mins. Just my experience with them. They make a huge profit every year and yet the fare keeps going up to cover "expenses". I probably make it worse off but I'm not a fan of them to say the least.

So I take it your working around the new subway expansion?

Task
25th June 2011, 06:44 PM
Oh, hey, a thread that I should really post in! 8 D

My sister is a Mech Eng that lived just outside Oxford for a while, so from her experiences I can tell you that you'll find Toronto very affordable. She found England to be very expensive compared to what she was used to from here.

It's a big city, there's very little you can absolutely say about it, except that which has already been mentioned here. 8 )

What I can guarantee you is that with a city this size and this varied, you'll definitely be able to find things to interest you. It hardly matters what you're after, you can find some if you're really looking.

Which brings us to my next point; one of the reasons I've been away for a while is that we're moving! Into a bigger place that's even closer to the Yonge line, but still technically on the Sheppard line. Two weeks today, actually. The important part of that is that we're moving into a 3 bedroom, so if you need a place to stay for a week or two then we can actually host you!

And yes, we can totally get some more of that Toronto WO Gathering going. 8 )

I'll try to keep on top of this thread, but a PM is definitely the quickest way to get me. Al's PM was what got me here today.

Anyway, it's a great city, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else, and we're looking forward to seeing you! Let us know when you'll arrive here in The Colonies! 8 D

Medusa
25th June 2011, 06:58 PM
Dammit, if ever I needed a raise + more holiday time...it would be this year.
2011: Missing Al's tourny again, record numbers of zoners in TO...me home. :turd

SaturnReturn
25th June 2011, 10:00 PM
So for overfilled, slow, and never on time service you get kinda close to where you wanted and walk another 5 mins.

Except you do all of that in an air-conditioned train carriage right? Sounds like a luxurious bargain compared to the London Underground. :D

Jay - Thanks for the info. I think for my short term trip I can stay with a colleague. But I'll drop you a PM when I'm on my way over there.

RedScar - Right now the project I'm working on is ECLRT. Here is a link:
http://www.toronto.ca/involved/projects/eglinton_crosstown_lrt/index.htm

I'm not supposed to say anything about it but I think it's all pretty public anyone on this one and you guys over there generally seem pretty aware of your government projects anyway.

Medusa - I know Canada's a big place, but can't you just get a sled and hook it up to some moose or something? :?

RedScar
25th June 2011, 10:43 PM
Oh snap, I thought they had canceled the LRT. Guess I heard wrong. If you don't mind me asking what in particular are you doing within the project? Kinda don't see how someone across the pond is involved.

Also, air-conditioned....ha I wish. I think the subway has some but even if its ok down in the tube you aren't there for long. Buses and street cars are ok if there is only a few ppl, but if they fill up (which they do at the busy hours) then don't expect it to make the experience less BO smelling. Enough about how I hate the TTC though.

SaturnReturn
25th June 2011, 11:09 PM
Well in general terms, I'm doing a load of analysis work. My firm is international, so they get whoever is the best person for each job, wherever they happen to be. Naturally, I'm the best person for every job (:P) so I work on things in random places all over the world, but do a lot of the work remotely. I don't like that though, because I don't even get to meet the people I work with half the time, or to see the places I'm doing the work for. That's why I'm trying to change that this time around.

Really thought you'd have A/C over there. I think all the newer systems and upgrades will be getting A/C. We'll never have them on most of the London Underground trains though, because the tunnels just aren't big enough for the height that would be added to trains with A/C.

Medusa
26th June 2011, 05:02 PM
Medusa - I know Canada's a big place, but can't you just get a sled and hook it up to some moose or something? :?

Yeah, I do have a Qirex in the garage. :)

Being able to afford both time off plus going anywhere is pretty tough for me. Not impossible, just pretty tough.

RedScar
26th June 2011, 05:23 PM
Maybe some of the new stuff, but the TTC has some really old fleet vehicles that they can't retire.

SaturnReturn
26th June 2011, 05:24 PM
That sucks. Doing the job you do I feel you deserve to have those things a bit more easily. I guess the world is a bit out of balance in that way though. Maybe others could come to your neck of the woods instead?

If I end up in Canada permanently, I think the size of the place will blow my mind. I take it for granted here that I can visit lots of places in the UK relatively quickly, and even European destinations are just a half day away. It looks like that's the kind of time it takes just to get to the nearest major city in Canada.

Medusa
26th June 2011, 05:28 PM
Yes it does rather suck. I could make more money serving coffee at Tim Horton's than doing what I do. Oh well. I drink coffee, I don't serve it!!!

But yes if there's any way you can manage to do any sightseeing when you're here, get to the Rockies. I'd tell you do a cross-Canada drive...but it takes awhile.

RedScar
26th June 2011, 07:32 PM
You out west Medusa? I hear the Timmy's staff get paided like $16/hour because they are so short handed.

Task
26th June 2011, 08:08 PM
Yeah, they cancelled the Sheppard LRT, but the Eglinton LRT has risen from that flaming wreckage. I'm glad they've managed to salvage something.

The subway cars are quite often very nicely air-conditioned. The streetcars and busses are another matter. They have windows that open to provide a nice breeze though. As long as you can stick to the subway for the majority of your trip, it's a good system. The best part might be The Path system. Imagine the worlds largest underground mall, attached to the subway system and forming a pedestrian walkway underneath half the city. In the middle of winter I can get around with sneakers, jeans, and a T-shirt with a jacket as long as I don't have to travel off The Path.

RedScar
26th June 2011, 08:17 PM
Task speaks the truth, the PATH is a god send in the winter, although it gets kinda crowded for obvious reasons.

SaturnReturn
26th June 2011, 09:23 PM
I was originally working on Sheppard LRT. I heard that a new mayor was elected and basically cancelled it all because he likes cars and not trams. This meant I immediately had to stop work and had nothing to do for two weeks. Was not fun times.

But now I'm on Eglinton. There's tonnes to do and they're really trying to push everyone. It's pretty demanding and no-one to really share my work with. My brain is typically fried by the end of the week. I've been super-efficient too, like, to the point where I'm almost being complained at for it a little bit. But at least I'm saving you guys money. ;)

It will be awesome when I go over there to actually feel more connected with the place and the project. It's interesting actually just reading things like wikipedia articles. How ironic that an internet-based article makes my work feel more 'real'.

RedScar
27th June 2011, 02:02 AM
Haha, well its hard. Global world but you really only know what's directly around you. Its why so many go on backpacking trips, so they can experience the world.

Ya Rob Ford got elected and basically stopped all projects that were in the works. He is a very economically minded mayor (which was his running platform) and Toronto has historically been the most expensive area of Canada to live in thanks to stupid tax rates and stupid tax grabs. He wants to cut the funding on all city run objects to reduce the strain on people, which is fine but you can't neglect stuff for too long or you end up having to dump a ton into it later. He wasn't my favorite candidate, but at least he has stuck to his promises and doing what he says (mostly).

Medusa
1st July 2011, 12:44 AM
@ RedScar: I live in manito ahbee...well, close enough ;) Manitoba. I just like that translation better...

When are you headed over here Saturn? Fire off a PM if you know, there's a chance I may get out there this fall.

RedScar
1st July 2011, 02:31 AM
You happy you getting a team again? I know I am, cause lord knows I don't wanna cheer the leafs on.

Medusa
1st July 2011, 02:34 AM
It's exciting, yeah! But I don't really watch hockey anymore
and I'm a Montreal fan
:D

RedScar
1st July 2011, 04:44 AM
BITE YOUR TONGUE! hahah I kid...kinda

SaturnReturn
1st July 2011, 05:55 PM
When are you headed over here Saturn?

Got approval today. Still have to finalise details but apparently it will be roughly mid-July to mid-August. However, I'm supposed to complete a deadline for a load of work and a report while I'm over there and I don't think 6 weeks from now will be enough time for that to happen, so I may be there a little longer.

Doesn't look like I will be there in 'Fall' though. Having said that, there will still be lots more work for me in Toronto I think so I could be coming back again.

Medusa
1st July 2011, 06:34 PM
That's exciting, congrats again! :clap Change of scenery always does people good. :) I might have to wait for you to improve the subway system before I go back to TO anyway. I just realized, it's been almost 20 years since I've been there! I barely remember it...

I'll PM Task for sure whenever I do go out there, he is the Toronto Wipeout Gathering Taskmaster after all.

RedScar
3rd July 2011, 04:07 AM
Grats Saturn, hope the project goes alright.

SaturnReturn
25th July 2011, 09:30 PM
Remember when I said I had approval for my trip? Well all sorts of back and forth nonsense has happened since then. Eventually I just said, "screw it" and booked the flight. My own line manager was telling me to so it was OK, but my intuition was telling me something would probably crop up.

Well something did. Apparently there are all sort of annoying processes and tax rules as soon as someone is out of the UK for more than 30 days. I would be out for 31 days....cue much needless stress. Even today I was putting up with a seemingly incompetent secretary and worrying about the fact that no-one on either side of the Atlantic wants to fund my trip. You would have thought that after 8 months of me working on the project to make up for others' lack of skills, they would at least be able to work the money side out without me having to worry about it and can just be positive about it. But no, two days before I leave and still no agreement. So much stress, and I'm exhausted with a stinking cold too. *Massive sigh*

Whatever, flights are booked and I'll be in Toronto soon enough. Just might have to fly back two days earlier and incur a rebooking fee on the ticket. In any case, I will take my PSP and WipEout Pure and Pulse on the flight, as well as a load of tissues, some lemsip, and kit-kats. I've heard they have those in Canada anyway, but it will be interesting to compare the quality of the chocolatey goodness. I wonder, should I take my own tea bags? Hmm..

Oh, and a serious question - if I buy a pay-as-you-go sim card for my mobile/cell phone out there, does anyone have any recommendations for the best network/deal?

RedScar
25th July 2011, 09:43 PM
Well I don't own a cell phone because I'm a cheap ass and the rates are stupid expensive. If your in TO only some of the smaller carriers might work (public moblie, chatrr, City Fido) but I couldn't tell you exactly.

The chocolate will be different, ours is probably sweeter as NA and EU have different tastes. Yes we have tissues XD, and Lemsip is known as NeoCitran.

As for the tea, couldn't tell you. I know lots of ppl drink Tea from Timmy's or local stores, but no idea how it cracks up to the UK standards :P.

Remember, we have different outlets so if you wanna use your PSP charger bring the adapters you can buy.

Have a safe flight! Weather is supposed to have rain the next few days, but whether that actually happens who knows, weather ppl around here are wrong 75% of the time anyway.

Nutcase:259
25th July 2011, 10:26 PM
Getting the ball rolling :D , Best of luck to you Saturn :+

You can always import chocolate to show them what it should taste like :P

SaturnReturn
25th July 2011, 10:31 PM
"Anything to declare?"

"Yes, I do declare that your chocolate sucks, and your tea too. Good day" :P

Nah, I'm sure it will be fine as long as it doesn't taste like Hershey's.:blarg

Kyonshi
25th July 2011, 11:39 PM
Cheap chocolate here can't consistently be better than the one in Europe. When the first ingredient is sugar and not cocoa butter, you know you're facing something cheap. This said, im a chocolate freak (much like the Cookie Monster is nuts about cookies) so wether its a Kit-Kat or genuine Belgian chocolate, im all in.

I dunno about grocery stores in Toronto, but in Montréal we have a lot of stores who import Earl Grey tea and many other British brands, directly from the UK. Im pretty sure the same is done in the busiest city in Canada.

Take note that Canada is veeery much oriented toward multi-culturalism. So wether you're from the UK, Zimbabwe, Dubaï, Bulgaria, Bolivia, New-Zealand, Iceland, Barcelona, Vietnam, freaking Antarctica; there's always something here from your homeland for you to get.:)

SaturnReturn
26th July 2011, 07:16 PM
Cool cool. Thanks. :)

@RedScar - Yeah I totally know you'll have tissues and stuff once I'm there, I meant more for the flight. All the tissues in Toronto won't help me when Green Niagra falls (see what I did there?) out of my nose at several thousand feet. >.< Too much info, right? But man my body hates me today. :(

Oh well, on with the packing. At least I did my packing list last night, in the form of 13 post-it notes stuck to my TV. :D

Dark_Phantom_89
26th July 2011, 07:31 PM
I wish you all the very best for you Saturn. Don't go vanishing on us, we expect you to come back. :P

Medusa
26th July 2011, 09:24 PM
All the tissues in Toronto won't help me when Green Niagra falls (see what I did there?)

:lol Gotta love those summer colds. First day in nine days I can breathe properly after catching a nasty one. It's grossly fascinating how much mucus can be packed into one's throat and sinuses...:blarg:blarg

Have a great trip Sat!! Enjoy the super heat "here", if nothing else it'll cook the cold out of you. :)

SaturnReturn
29th July 2011, 01:09 AM
Well, after being detained in customs for an hour and a half they finally let me into the country, with a visitor pass on which the immigration official added some new condition which isn't listed anywhere under the conditions for business visitors. That was all a big hassle.

Anyway, it's very overcast at the moment, but still really humid, as everyone has warned me about. I was lucky enough to get only the air-conditioned subway train with non-working air-con both to and from the office today. :/ The labyrinth of underground shops below the office block I'm in was certainly interesting. Pretty toasty down there in general.

It's pretty different here to England. You have lots of high-rise buildings, but with lots of space between them. So it's possible to see long distances, which is nice compared to London, where you can only see as far as the next wall.

I haven't really experienced much yet. Accommodation is a bit far out - a 20 minute walk from Finch station. But hopefully soon I can get out and see some sights.

I did see a really dark-haired squirrel this morning. I'd say that has been the highlight so far.

RedScar
29th July 2011, 01:30 AM
Squirrels in TO are nasty bastards, had one try and steal some street meat from me once XD.

Congrats on the safe flight. You might be by my old family doctor, she had her office in that area if memory serves. Where about is the office your working at? Just curious if I know the area off hand.

RedScar
29th July 2011, 07:42 PM
Self bumping this thread.
Don't know if you know saturn, but this weekend is the Caribbean festival downtown. If your bored and want to take in some sights then you could check it out! Long weekend and great weather incoming!

SaturnReturn
30th July 2011, 09:42 PM
Yeah, a few people mentioned it. I'm so knackered though and still haven't shaken the cold so I don't know if I'll bother with it, given that I don't know my way around yet and don't have a subway pass. Bit of a trek into town from where I'm staying too.

Today I got up late and just went to check out the local area a bit. Had a smoothie from Tim Hortons and a piece of carrot cake. Pretty expensive it was, but the carrot cake was really tasty.:D

My office is on Bloor St. East. The subway network is odd because it has this whole underground labyrinth of shops and stuff, apparently so people don't have to go outside in the cold in winter, eh?

feisar rocket
31st July 2011, 01:18 AM
Its expensive. I Live in the GTA, Malton (NE Mississauga (beside the airport) to be exact. It's preety cheap to live here. It's small too!

Things you should do:
go to Ontario place, Wonderland, Center-ville and the CN tower.