PDA

View Full Version : Welcome back to PSN

Spece2goin
17th May 2011, 07:20 AM
With their program : "Welcome Back", Sony offer to PSN users 2 PS3 games from the following :

* LittleBigPlanet
* Infamous
* Wipeout HD/Fury
* Ratchet and Clank: Quest for Booty for EU / SuperStardust HD for US
* Dead Nation

How awesome is this? New players incoming for WipeoutHD!

Oh btw, hi everyone, long time no see!

Colonel
17th May 2011, 08:49 AM
That's great news, I was really hoping WOHD would be one of the games on offer. It makes sense if they're planning to release new games, to build interest in the current one. Looking forward to some busy lobbies in the coming weeks :beer

icarasDragon
17th May 2011, 10:14 PM
I'm getting InFamous and Ratchet and Clank: Quest for Booty expansion on PS3
and on a seperate PSP account i'm getting
Either LittleBigPlanet if my sis wants it OR
ModNation racers (I already have WipEout 1, PulsE and NFS Shift on PSP, too many racers :P ) and Pursuit Force

amplificated
18th May 2011, 09:20 AM
Glad I didn't think Dead Nation was worth the amount they were asking when it came out.

After that it's a toss up between Infamous and Ratchet & Clank, since I already have LBP and obviously 'HD/Fury... hmm. Decisions, decisions...

Surprised at such a small selection of games, and kinda disappointed personally since Dead Nation is the only game I'm even half interested in; but it's definitely good to see 'HD/Fury in the mix. Everyone who owns a PS3 needs this game! Of course, I'm preaching to the choir here... :P

Dark_Phantom_89
18th May 2011, 10:25 AM
I'll be picking up LBP and Ratchet and Clank. I've got all of the others.

Darkdrium777
18th May 2011, 11:39 AM
I don't have Stardust, but all you guys seem to be picking Dead Nation. Which is annoying because I'd like to play coop with you guys in it eventually.
Do both have online coop? I don't know.

Dark_Phantom_89
18th May 2011, 11:42 AM
Dead Nation is an absolutely fantastic game and I would definitely recommend it. I remember playing through the online co-op with DreamyElf and we both had a great time.

amplificated
18th May 2011, 08:04 PM
Super Stardust HD is okay. It kept me interested for a decent time when I first got it (maybe that's because I hardly had any games at the time, who knows), but once I finished just about everything, the magic just died and I have played about 3 minutes' worth of the game since. Not that big of a deal, but the game is meant to be an arcade/replayable experience, so it's worth saying.

To answer your question though, it doesn't have online co-op.

I thought it would when I got it, but alas, the co-op is purely offline unfortunately; and the multiplayer pack is filled with minigames you'd have to force yourself to play, since it's rather unlikely you'd rather play them over a more full fledged multiplayer game.
---
...Has anyone here played Ratchet & Clank? I've never played any game in the series, don't know what it's like.

Infamous looks like a GTA clone (with superhero powers, which I guess is the only thing that could make it half way interesting), but I can't stand GTA.

Kyonshi
18th May 2011, 08:16 PM
I recommend inFamous to everyone who enjoy super-hero games. This is by far one of the most exciting and greatest game experience i ever had. Controls and gameplay of Cole is, in my humble opinion, a benchmark to the genre. You have tons of super-powers and a multitude of ways to put them to good use. You choose between being and agent of Good or Evil, and your character, storyline and NPCs react in consequence. The level design of the city is ****ing amazing and very well elaborated. Honestly its quality is well beyond Batman: Arkham Asylum and Spiderman: Web of Shadows, which are damn good games themselves!

If you like the genre, im pretty sure you won't regret it. As for me im always thrilled to come back to it from time to time. Just can't wait for the 2nd game coming soon! :D

billychanxtr33m
19th May 2011, 12:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVS3WNt7yRU

OneAVGNFan
19th May 2011, 03:33 AM
I must download Superstardust and Dead Nation because i already have the other three.

blackwiggle
19th May 2011, 05:43 AM
Looks like for the PS3 it will be R&C Quest for booty and Dead Nation for me, and for the PSP - LBP and Killzone liberation[which I'm sure I will suck at :paperbag].

The promo said we only get to keep the games for a month, but how will that work with the PSP?
I mean I could download it via the PS3 onto the PSP, then back the game up into Media GO! on the PC.

A bit confused with the PSP stuff as it's hardly ever been used, it must be the most pristine first generation PSP's on the planet.

For those opting for Infamous, do yourself a favour and go to the store, there is a free weapon upgrade for Cole [something Blades] that makes some of the challenges while playing as "Bad Cole" a lot easier, I didn't know about it until after I had already finished the game.

Colonel
19th May 2011, 12:31 PM
Quite chuffed as I have 2 PSN accounts on my machine (one of them is my GF's little brother's) so I can just grab all four that I don't have.

MegaGeeza22
19th May 2011, 02:26 PM
The promo said we only get to keep the games for a month, but how will that work with the PSP?
I mean I could download it via the PS3 onto the PSP, then back the game up into Media GO! on the PC.
You can keep the 2 free games forever! and the 2 psp games, its the ps+ stuff that only last for 30days.
I hope your right colonel, i only have Wipeout from the 5 games and 4 free games would be great!

mic-dk
19th May 2011, 07:29 PM
I hope you're right, but the danish version of the email clearly states that the free games only are available for 30 days. It doesn't make much sense, but I really wouldn't put it past Sony ;)

SaturnReturn
19th May 2011, 10:15 PM
* Access to the free games and exclusive features finishes at the end of the 30-day subscription period. Anything you buy with exclusive discounts, dynamic themes and premium avatars are yours to keep forever.

The above is confusing, because they use an asterisk in multiple places and for multiple other disclaimers. But I think it refers to anything downloaded with the playstation plus access in the 30 day free subscription period. An asterisk only appears next to inFamous and Dead Nation, which have a different disclaimer about availability in Germany. So the games would seem to be for keepsies.

blackwiggle
19th May 2011, 11:42 PM
Yeah it's confusing the way it is written, I've seen the same confusion/ questions asked at every gaming forum I visit, then again I find most of SONY's product instruction/installation manuals for both hardware and software unnecessarily confusing.
I wish SONY wouldn't use their legal department to have such a detrimental effect on what could be clear and concise explanations/instructions for everything they do.
It's almost like they do it on purpose in case they want to change their mind about something, then go "OH! you read it wrong", it really meant this.

I'm sure it's why some people hate SONY, there's always a nagging feeling of a rip-off being done somewhere when you are constantly being confronted with something that reeks of legal speak.

MaxiM
20th May 2011, 12:00 AM
Luckily, moderators of the eu.blog cleared that out. You get 2 out of 5 PS3 games forever, and 2 out 4 PSP games as well. If you have both PS3 and PSP on your account you get both packages. Pretty sweet.

Me and my g/f will get all 4 PS3 games together, but I wonder if I should get LBP+MNR or MNR+PF for PSP, since I'll be getting LBP for PS3 anyway.... :|

And yeah, I expect a surge of new players. This makes me happy. Maybe finally someone I can race against without feeling like a total ass.

amplificated
20th May 2011, 12:52 AM
...But I think it refers to anything downloaded with the playstation plus access in the 30 day free subscription period.

Only free games and offers available on PSN+, anything bought with the PSN+ discount is yours to keep forever.

slimjim
20th May 2011, 01:04 AM
i thought you get to keep themes and avatars from ps+ also

Aeroracer
20th May 2011, 01:57 AM
does anyone have any idea when ps3 store is open again..i wanna go there :)

slimjim
20th May 2011, 02:07 AM
most likely the end of may

MegaGeeza22
20th May 2011, 03:32 AM
The store opens on Tuesday!! and it will be updated twice a week until they clear the backlog!
Slim, i think your right about the avatars and themes.
2 games are to keep forever but you have to claim them within 30days.
For PS+, Everything expires after 30 days Except... paid for content (half price stuff) and avatars and themes. :+
Roll on Tuesday!

Colonel
20th May 2011, 08:22 AM
Wow, Tuesday is gonna be crazy, can't wait :hyper

slimjim
20th May 2011, 09:23 AM
thanks for the info Mega

SuperNova
20th May 2011, 10:51 AM
As an owner of all listed games, I Recommend inFamous and Ratchet & Clank: Quest 4 Booty

inFamous is a terrific open-world action platformer, can't wait for inFamous 2 which hits June 7th!

Spece2goin
21st May 2011, 11:57 AM
i thought you get to keep themes and avatars from ps+ also

Everything you download within the 30 days using PS+ will be yours.

MegaGeeza22
21st May 2011, 04:49 PM
lol Spece2goin, are you trying to confuse people...
Everything on ps+ will expire after 30 days unless you subscribe and pay to keep the content

FirstDave
21st May 2011, 05:11 PM
I have also read on the playstation blog that everything you download with psn plus during the free period will be yours to keep but a lot of people say otherwise so we,ll just have to see.

Dave.

KGB
21st May 2011, 05:30 PM
I don't have playstation+ so I could be wrong, but I think that if you buy something from the store that is discounted under playstation+ then you get to keep it. If you just download stuff which is free and only available under + then you will lose that content after the 30 days are up.

MegaGeeza22
21st May 2011, 05:31 PM
post a link or paste what it says....
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/05/16/details-of-the-welcome-back-programme-for-scee-users-2/
Access to the 30 days free PS Plus subscription is only available for those countries where PS Plus is offered. You will have access to the PS Plus content planned for May for 30 days. Access to the free games and exclusive features finishes at the end of the 30-day subscription period. Anything you buy with exclusive discounts, dynamic themes and premium avatars are yours to keep forever.

Proof

Colonel
21st May 2011, 05:57 PM
From the comments section - moderator post:
Posted on 16 May, 2011 at 10:51 pm by Nick Caplin
"The free games are yours to keep. It is only some of the content you get through PS Plus that will expire at the end of the month."

Basically what they're saying is that you only have 30 days to download your free games. Once you've got them though, they're yours.

amplificated
22nd May 2011, 01:28 AM
No. The PSN+ subscription is separate from the 2 free games welcome back package. PSN+ offers free games, but your access to them is lost once your subscription runs out.

Once the PSN is back up and fully operational, you have 30 days of free access to PSN+ and its offers. Any material that is free from PSN+ will expire when the subscription runs out, but anything bought using the discount PSN+ membership gets you, is yours to keep.

Can I write this out a few more times with slightly differing wording until it sinks in?

I don't understand the confusion... 2 free games deal - IS SEPARATE - from PSN+ free games.

Vincent_VII
22nd May 2011, 02:45 AM
So excited to finally get HD. I had been waiting on a sale/bundle of HD/Fury, but this is fantastic.

mic-dk
22nd May 2011, 07:10 AM
I don't understand the confusion... 2 free games deal - IS SEPARATE - from PSN+ free games.

My confusion comes from the different types of free games.

We get two free games - check!
We get PSN+ - check!
on PSN+ you can download more free games - check!

and then later on, in the fine print section, it says that the free games expires with your PSN+ unless you renew it. Hilarity ensues. They should stop calling PSN+ games for "free", for one they're not, and it would separate the free PSN+ stuff from the genuine free games.

Sonys communication is unclear at best.

Mr Phlanj
23rd May 2011, 01:39 PM
FFS!!! I get my ps3 back i log onto PSN and it tell me ill get a email saying what to do about the information change we need to do.

BUT when i try to log onto to hotmail it says the login dosnt exsist......

amplificated
23rd May 2011, 02:51 PM
You should be able to use the console to create a new password without any touching any kind of email, provided you created your psn account on the console.

Mr Phlanj
23rd May 2011, 03:11 PM
WOO! all fixed now!!!

i think this calls for a beer!!! :beer

Cyberio
23rd May 2011, 04:42 PM
Bigger online community, cool!

Colonel
24th May 2011, 10:34 AM
Looks like PSN is down tonight for maintenance (from 4pm to midnight GMT), so hopefully the store will be online after midnight.

However if you log in to the PSN before 4pm today, you won't be kicked out when the maintenance begins. Details here:

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2011/05/24/psn-goes-offline-again-today-store-tomorrow/

Not long to go now :g

Edit: Maybe not then http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2011/05/24/psn-store-not-reopening-tomorrow/ :brickwall

MegaGeeza22
24th May 2011, 11:55 PM
Sony - "Game developers have been told that the store will resume trading on Tuesday the 24th"

1 week later -
Sony - "The store will not be online on the 24th as some "rumours" have stated"

LOL, rumours.... rumours that sony started! They missed their deadline, removed comments that they made and they are blaming it on internet rumours...
Sony, Your company is a laughing stock.

Oryx Crake
25th May 2011, 09:43 AM
they do seem to have made rather a mess of things dont they...

blackwiggle
25th May 2011, 10:23 AM
It's the Japanese Government that are preventing SONY from reinstating the PSN.

As far as they are concerned, SONY have not met the "Duty of care" requirements.
They are worried that another "Loss of face" will occur shortly after the last one.
Unless SONY can PROVE that the new protocols that have be put in place that would avoid this sort of calamity work, well the **** will fly.

ion harvest
25th May 2011, 10:36 AM
Sony - "Game developers have been told that the store will resume trading on Tuesday the 24th"

1 week later -
Sony - "The store will not be online on the 24th as some "rumours" have stated"

LOL, rumours.... rumours that sony started! They missed their deadline, removed comments that they made and they are blaming it on internet rumours...
Sony, Your company is a laughing stock.

Is this what Sony do when things don't go as they planned? Wahahahahaaa

amplificated
25th May 2011, 11:59 AM
It's the Japanese Government that are preventing SONY from reinstating the PSN.

As far as they are concerned, SONY have not met the "Duty of care" requirements.
They are worried that another "Loss of face" will occur shortly after the last one.
Unless SONY can PROVE that the new protocols that have be put in place that would avoid this sort of calamity work, well the **** will fly.

That's only for the Japanese PSN. They still don't have online access at all.

Colonel
25th May 2011, 03:04 PM
Oooh, Xbox live "encounters issues" :lol

http://electronictheatre.co.uk/index.php/xbox360/xbxo360-news/8170-xbox-live-encounters-issues

Probably nothing but it would be funny after all the sh*t that Xbox fans gave Sony.

Xavier
25th May 2011, 03:21 PM
That's only for the Japanese PSN. They still don't have online access at all.

Indeed. Any online access except mandatory/automatic game update downloads results in an error, even if you're trying to visit the Store for a non-Japan country. Thanks a lot, Sony.

amplificated
26th May 2011, 01:47 PM
I'm pretty sure there isn't a single PSN branch that has the store working yet; but just about everywhere except Japan you can at least play online, access your friends list and that kinda thing.

Colonel
27th May 2011, 10:29 AM
Surely to God this is it now...

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2011/05/27/psn-maintenanc%E2%80%8Be-incoming/

blackwiggle
28th May 2011, 12:24 AM
If it goes down for maintenance yet again, then there will most likely be yet another system update as well.:rolleyes:
I know they did say that there was a LOT of catching up to do with the store [basically 6 weeks worth of stuff], and they intended to update it several times a week till they caught up, which with the recently changed layout at the store [Which is aweful IMHO :-] will make it a lucky dip to find what the new entries are.

leungbok
28th May 2011, 07:02 AM
hackers also recently developped a cheat software, so there's reasons for sony to fix and clean their servers ! :rolleyes:

However i don't say it's the reason why they do this maintenance, but if they want to save the whole online community they will have to fix it or ps3 will have the same issue as psp's online gaming.

Nexus72
2nd June 2011, 05:14 AM
hi All

PSN is Back!!
welcome!!

:nod
:+

Hellfire_WZ
2nd June 2011, 10:27 AM
The Store came back online this morning, but it's still very glitchy at the moment. Probably worth waiting until this evening before using it

Flint Fandango
2nd June 2011, 11:00 AM
Hm, it seems to be down in Germany...yet. :frown:

Nexus72
2nd June 2011, 11:23 AM
oh yes guys, this morning was on, now I look and if 'active in Italy ...:hyper

But online PC is off .... with PLAY3 is on!

subtotal
2nd June 2011, 10:14 PM
YAY !!

the lap times are back!!!

booo

mine are s**t

il_mago_di_Doz
3rd June 2011, 02:10 PM
ahahahahhahah :lol

amplificated
3rd June 2011, 04:40 PM
I guess I hadn't played in too long - all my records are missing. So much effort getting some of those top 10 SL's and a couple of WR's... gone :(

KGB
3rd June 2011, 05:04 PM
Looks like the welcome back package is now available

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/06/03/welcome-back-content-is-available-now-frequently-asked-questions-answered/

Aeralys
3rd June 2011, 05:42 PM
And so begins the WipEout HD online BOOM

Hellfire_WZ
3rd June 2011, 06:40 PM
Just ordered a new hard drive for these, when stuff like this comes around it makes you realise that 60GB really is bugger all nowadays ;)

Medusa
5th June 2011, 02:18 AM
Well darn it all, I don't know why/how/what/when, but I got the free PS3 games for both of my accounts, and half the PSP games, but the other 2 PSP free games offers didn't appear for my other account...

But anyways, looks like my video gaming for next winter is all set up now. :)

MegaGeeza22
5th June 2011, 06:34 AM
Does anyone know about the 3 free movies?
They're in the film section of the playstation store!

amplificated
6th June 2011, 02:10 AM
One of the free games I selected disappeared from my cart before I could continue the "purchase", and the PSN thinks I already claimed it :/

Stupid, buggy, PSN...

blackwiggle
6th June 2011, 02:21 AM
Just go to download history and click on download again, should work.

amplificated
6th June 2011, 02:50 AM
... :/ like I didn't look already

Anyway, just checked it out again and still managed to get it via account management/services. It wasn't the biggest deal even if I couldn't get it, as I don't really like how Infamous looks much anyway, and at >7GB, it's unlikely that I'll even download it with a 50GB/month cap... and I already got 2 free games from the Aus. store. Was just venting

Japanese PSN, up next. (last time I checked the store, it wasn't online yet..).

Eden Priest
6th June 2011, 08:27 AM
well just dont go all bonkers on the "welcome back" pilots im sure there are a few dimonds in the rough :/

Colonel
6th June 2011, 09:52 AM
Had a bash at Dead Nation last night. Fun game I have to say, although it clearly won't hold my attention for long. It feels like a 20 year old space invaders type game with pretty graphics over it. Tried downloading Infamous, it was still going when I got up this morning!

FirstDave
6th June 2011, 04:53 PM
like the Colonel really Dead nation is a good little game but i can see me getting bored of it quickly and Infamous was a waste of electricity (No pun intended) and hours of time downloading it ! Maybe its just me as i see plenty of folk saying how good it is. but not my bag.

Dave.:P

icarasDragon
6th June 2011, 11:27 PM
inFAMOUS Is really a gem once you have it, downloading 7.5GB is no mean feat but you won't be disapointed, Gameplay of just running around the city and killing random reapers is a hell of a lot of fun, and the missions just give you a bit of a XP boost before the main storyline missions womp your buzzing bum because you forgot to upgrade your powers [That's what the side missions are for!].