PDA

View Full Version : Singapore's General Election 2011

F.E.I.S.A.R
28th April 2011, 06:23 AM
It's been quite some time since the Group Representation Constituency(GRC) I live in was contested in a General Election. Almost all of the seats in Parliament are being contested,and there seems to be even more opposition than the General Election in 2006.
Nomination day was yesterday,27 April.Polling day is 7 May.
I'm now seeing banners of the two parties contesting the GRC.
(and their campaigning is during my MYEs...-.-')
How have your elections been carried out(recently,if any)?

DJ Techno
29th April 2011, 06:48 AM
Won't know until November 2012

Obamas still in office

The republicans can learn to shut the hell up and learn giving tax credits n special privileges to over millions and billion dollar industrys tax breaks to not paying taxes at all. Is where the debt is still not dropping like it should. So tax money goes to better use. Than stupid use.

Oh. Wait the one who did the stimulus n more W Bush is out.

And don't hate. If u knew more than what was behind the closed doors. Quantanimo bay n other things would.have been done like they should have been. It was not the president who had most power....

blackwiggle
29th April 2011, 09:08 AM
F.E.I.S.A.R
http://www.elections.gov.sg/gazette%5CG_ParE2011%5CCandidates%20declared%20to% 20have%20been%20elected.pdf#zoom=100

You have to have a chuckle when seeing that list.
All candidates are vying to be selected for the same electorate, something that is unique to Singapore.

F.E.I.S.A.R
29th April 2011, 09:28 AM
That GRC had a walkover.
There are wards in a GRC.There are a few wards in a GRC. An SMC is a ward,with only one member of a party contesting.

Medusa
29th April 2011, 04:40 PM
Canada is in the middle of an election right now (done May 2). I'm politically neutral so I can hardly wait for it all to be over, especially when it completely takes over the news.

Here's a few interesting Cdn politics stories from a few years ago, when it was actually interesting to follow the election news:
Conservative Belinda Stronach "crossed the floor" or switched to the Liberal side and ditched her ex-boyfriend in the process. Subsequently he (Peter McKay) flew back home to the east coast for one day, strictly for the purpose of a telecasted interview where he moaned about how sad he was and he "only had his dog left". (Words to that effect)
Then about two days later, it turned out it wasn't even his dog. He borrowed his neighbours pooch. ROFL Belinda Stronach for the win. To my knowledge she's not even in politics anymore as she's working in the millionaire family business...

Politicians make themselves look like absolute total losers. Then, once they're elected, they prove it.

Do you have any good stories from Singapore FEISAR?

F.E.I.S.A.R
30th April 2011, 03:24 PM
I don't know if this is just coincidence,but the incumbent party's lorry went round my neighbourhood blasting not once,not twice,but MORE THAN FOUR times. The Opposition party,I only heard it once.
This is the website of the GE. (http://www.ge.sg/)
Well,the rallies have started,and the parties are going about for support. This year,there is a cool-off day.
The incumbent seems bent on staying in power. There is a GRC that is very concentrated on in the news.
There have been breakdowns.
Rallies that go "What have you done,Incumbents?" "NOTHING!" and the questioning of the Incumbents
Questions like:Why is the incumbent only acting now?

I'm very bad at describing.
I'm too young to vote(voting age is 21). I'll play this(25s onwards) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiRacdl02w4) or this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48rz8udZBmQ) if something goes VERY WRONG.

Medusa
30th April 2011, 03:41 PM
LOL that's an awesome song FEISAR. I like it!

Nutcase:259
5th May 2011, 11:57 AM
Just had my first vote now im over age in the local elections and the referendum on alternative voting.

basically, where i live is such a conservative stronghold, (think someone quoted it as "run by old conservatives, for old conservatives" )that only 2 other parties actually bothered entering in my area (UKIP & Lib Dem), and even then they didn't canvas for votes, and i don't want to vote conservative so i might as well have just screwed up and binned my ballot :lol in the end i voted lib dem, because id rather have wasted my vote than voted for some right wing toffs or total nutjobs.

i hope all votes arn't like this.. :lol