PDA

View Full Version : Portal 2

Hellfire_WZ
19th April 2011, 07:51 PM
I was a huge fan of the original and I've been waiting for this for a very long time. And they haven't disappointed. Just like the first, this has to be some of the best script writing I've ever seen in a game. Very dark humour and some great casting with Stephen Merchant. Some of the test rooms are also pretty challenging, they've definitely given some thought to improving on the mechanics from the original

Anyway, the main reason I decided not to put this in the "last game you bought" topic is because the multiplayer in Portal 2 is cross-platform between PC and PS3. So if any of you are planning on getting hold of it, do let me know and we'll get a bit of co-op going! :)

DJ Techno
20th April 2011, 02:54 AM
how about you send me your copy of portal one

i had a cool customer tell me i need to play portal one before playing portal 2

Temet
20th April 2011, 07:12 AM
lol, it's probably cheaper to by Portal 1 on steam on PC or even the Orange Box on PS3 than sending a copy over the Atlantic twice.

I'll get this one Hellfire... but not in the coming days ;)

Hellfire_WZ
20th April 2011, 08:41 AM
Temet - he means on Steam, you get a free copy of Portal 1 when you buy it that you can give as a gift if you already own the original.

Mike - No problem, add me on Steam and I'll send you the game. Steam ID is ironknackers

Temet
20th April 2011, 09:47 AM
:paperbag

Sorry, I don't have/know steam... my computers are old relics.

mdhay
20th April 2011, 07:36 PM
Should be getting this on PS3 tomorrow, and of course will be installing it on the old laptop when I can. :D

Jav
20th April 2011, 07:43 PM
I have a question about this whole Steam thing. If I buy it on the PS3 and link my purchase to a friend's Steam account, does that mean we'll both have the game?

Challenger #001
20th April 2011, 07:44 PM
Loving the username there, Hellfire. xD

I'll be getting it soonish, but Amazon are being dicks about delivering it. >.> It was supposed to be a birthday present for me, but the delivery time has ended up all messed up. I'd love to play with some of you though.

Hellfire_WZ
20th April 2011, 07:51 PM
Ah, my actual account name is ironknackers. You'll find me under the usual Hellfire_WZ by the look of things.

I'm not entirely sure about how the account linking will work. I did hear that buying a PS3 version will also get you the PC version free, maybe that's what it means.

mdhay
20th April 2011, 11:23 PM
What it means is if you link your PS3 and Steam accounts together, any game that Valve release that uses this system (if the freeloading masses out there don't ruin it) will be associated with that account. In other words, don't link your disc with his Steam account. I made the mistake of letting my brother do that with my old account with his copy of L4D2, and he screwed it up. Royally.

Challenger #001
21st April 2011, 11:23 AM
I got it! I'll add you again Hellfire, maybe we can try co-op at some point. My steam account is Andurron.

As for the way that it syncs PS3 to PC, here's how it was explained to me. When you install Portal, and connect to PSN, you can choose to sync your PSN account to your Steam Account, or create the latter if you don't already have one. This will 'open' Portal 2 in your Steam window for PC or Mac, and then you enter a verification code within the box (like you do with some other games) to be able to play it on PC/Mac.

Hellfire_WZ
21st April 2011, 01:13 PM
Great stuff! Make sure you do the single player first though as apparently co-op leads on somewhat from the main story. I don't think there's any spoilers or anything but what's going on makes more sense

Challenger #001
21st April 2011, 01:25 PM
Playing through it now. God, some of these are tricky...

P_Denton
21st April 2011, 09:05 PM
God, the solo campaign is still way too short... and awesome. The puzzles were a tad less tricky than I expected though, but I guess they kept most of the difficulty for the coop. I can't wait to play it :D

DJ Techno
22nd April 2011, 11:53 AM
Temet - he means on Steam, you get a free copy of Portal 1 when you buy it that you can give as a gift if you already own the original.

Mike - No problem, add me on Steam and I'll send you the game. Steam ID is ironknackers

help me find the steam website today. then i'll create my id n add yours.

just post it later

im going to a magic the gathering poker game tonight

mdhay
22nd April 2011, 12:11 PM
http://store.steampowered.com

That should be it.

Hellfire_WZ
22nd April 2011, 12:14 PM
Okay then. I'll be away over the weekend so I'll send it as soon as I get back

KGB
22nd April 2011, 06:15 PM
Got it as well. Loving it so far.

Mr Phlanj
25th April 2011, 03:13 PM
i just finished it (on the 360) and i loved it :D

Darkdrium777
25th April 2011, 05:30 PM
Steam ID is ironknackersActually your Steam ID is 76561197973163947 :D

Hellfire_WZ
25th April 2011, 05:58 PM
Yeah yeah, okay then smart arse ;)

Darkdrium777
25th April 2011, 08:25 PM
Aha you changed it :P

Well ok, as for Portal 2 I want to get in on PS3 so I can get the PC Steam copy (And then play with people from both platforms), but from what I understand this process requires a connection to PSN. And as we all know this isn't going so well right now. So there's no Portal 2 for me yet. :(

Medusa
25th April 2011, 09:16 PM
I was all mad thinking Portal 2 could be downloaded from PSN Store...hahaha. Either way, I have to wait to get it now...which is good, I need to spend all my time away from PS3 right now.

SaturnReturn
25th April 2011, 09:56 PM
This game is everywhere right now. I never even played the original properly, even though I have it as part of the Orange Box. I fail at video games. :(

eLhabib
1st May 2011, 05:19 PM
Just finished Portal 2. MAN, this game is AMAZING. Goes straight to my top 10 of all time. Gameplay, humor, design - AAA!
Chris, you NEED to play this! And play Portal 1 first!

SaturnReturn
2nd May 2011, 09:25 PM
I started Portal 1 over the other day. But I'm stuck. I guess I'll give it another quick go now.

I wouldn't pay full price for Portal 2 though, or any other game with a short 1 player mode. Just how long is the main campaign mode anyway?

EDIT: OK so the bit of Portal 1 that I was stuck on wasn't that hard. My brain must have just been broken the other day. I think I'm near the end now. One step closer to Portal 2 anyway.

Nutcase:259
2nd May 2011, 09:36 PM
Finished the single player. Honestly one of the bests games ive played since MGS2 i love the story and how the 'cutscene' bits play out. and i love the humour and just the general feel of the levels, it has a real atmosphere and the other characters albiet 2 have good personality. :g
Reminds me of Wall E how 2 non speaking robots convey more emotion and personality than hollywood actors.

oh & some of the gel levels especially toward the end are incredible. Should be compulsory playing. cant wait for co-op

i was surprised by the campaign, people said it was really short. took me 3 days but its longer than some games ive played. plus theres the co-op

SaturnReturn
2nd May 2011, 11:58 PM
Hooray, I just beat Portal 1. Thank god - that last stage went on forever. Now I can totally go to bed. :D Was fun though. Also, now I totally get what the significance is of phrases like, "the cake is not a lie" and "doing science".

JFthebestJan
5th May 2011, 07:42 PM
well, i never played portal 1, but i PLAYED portal 2 :D

this game is just 1 of the best experiences i ever had in my gaming history (easy top 10)

eLhabib
6th May 2011, 05:02 PM
I didn't think Portal 2 was a short game. Took me well over 6 hours to finish it, but then I like to take my time and explore, listen to every bit of dialogue carefully (and appreciate the hell out of it in Portal 2's case), look at all the detail in leveldesign. I'm sure you could rush through it in 4 hours, but it really is a big game, with epic storytelling and setting.

Also, splitscreen co-op was a BLAST with my cousin. Another 3 hours or so of excellent playtime.

SaturnReturn
6th May 2011, 09:19 PM
For me that's not a whole lot of playtime for a full price game. Don't get me wrong, it sounds about right for single player these days, but to me, that still ain't right. I pick things like that up when they're reduced in price. I learned my lesson after LBP was only £15 within a few weeks of release, having paid £40 at launch.

I assume Portal 2 will still be as awesome in a few months.

eLhabib
7th May 2011, 11:36 AM
sure will.

KGB
13th May 2011, 02:44 PM
Finally managed to finish the co-op by myself. Not easy, but with the help from some speaker wire I managed it ;). Just need the two online trophies and I'm done, anyone want a hug? :)

Edit: if we ever get back online

Challenger #001
13th May 2011, 04:45 PM
Oh, go on then KGB. :P As soon as I'm online on PSN, I'll take a hug. You could probably get the 'Portal Professor' trophy with me as well.

KGB
13th May 2011, 06:02 PM
Cheers Challanger :), that trophy is a stupid one really. If i was just starting out on co-op, I wouldn't really want to do it with someone that has gone through it already, no fun in it to just do what the other player tells you.

Challenger #001
15th May 2011, 12:38 PM
I suppose it'll make sense when the DLC packs come out. But at least it's only the Calibration Course you need to complete. I've seen a couple of youtube lets' plays of it admittedly >.> The Yogscast is the one that comes to mind, so perhaps we could try and do a speed run of it. :3