PDA

View Full Version : SIXAXIS/DualShock3 Sticky Buttons--Suggestions/Cures?

Medusa
27th February 2011, 06:42 PM
I've had both my DualShock3's for only about 4 months, and both now have sticky buttons, the left D-pad button sticks on one (no doubt due to WO HD mashing) and apparently, the square button on the other one has stuck (playing LBP, pictures keep getting taking with no intent/prompting from me...)

I've looked up quite a few websites...and nearly all require disassembling/cleaning/reassembling the DS3 or SIXAXIS (virtually the same techniques so I'll lump them together).
But I don't want to do all this! As it looks far more difficult to get back together than a PSP, and that took me long enough when I had to do it.

The only other solution I found posted anywhere was to put a drop of water on the Dpad and mash it around a bit. I don't like the sounds of that...so what if I dropped in some rubbing alcohol instead?

What has everybody else done to solve this?
P.S. No, I'm not going to go buy another one. :blarg

mdhay
27th February 2011, 06:48 PM
Probably wouldn't work, but maybe a can of compressed air?

infoxicated
27th February 2011, 06:49 PM
I think their build quality is shocking, actually.

I got one when they first came out to add to the two SIXAXIS controllers I had, and three months later the spring in R2 was so weak I had to give up using it for most games. It's not pretty charging into battle in MAG when R2 swaps your primary weapon for your pistol!

I think you should try Isopropyl Alcohol (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropyl_alcohol). On last week's Tekzilla Podcast (http://revision3.com/tekzilla/geo-caching) they put some of that on a sticky iPhone button and it cured it right away - most cool. :)

Got a new DS3 with my new PS3 recently, so I hope this one lasts longer.

Medusa
27th February 2011, 06:59 PM
Thanks, I think I'll try that infoxicated. The only thing will be finding isopropyl that's not diluted (as I think rubbing alcohol is isopropyl diluted with water?).

R3BU5ER
27th February 2011, 07:09 PM
Well, I just opened my 2 sixaxis controllers yesterday to fix my r2 button and the squeaky left stick.... It ain't too hard to open and fix it, but to put the back cover back on it is a bitch! Bloody annoying. If you don't feel like going through all that sheit, maybe you can try spraying Teflon spray on to the d-pad and buttons, then smash 'm around for like 10 minutes, it will hopefully drip into the controller and smooth'n up your buttons...If not, well you'll just have to open it or buy a new one ;)

Darkdrium777
27th February 2011, 09:13 PM
Get a high concentration isopropyl alcohol, it should evaporate quite quickly even though it is not pure.

MegaGeeza22
28th February 2011, 04:35 AM
this happened to me to, the L3 button would stay left or right when i let go!! and the R2 button would stick. i think it was mainly due to eating snacks and greasy fingers whilst playing cod4. i cured it by just pressing the "infected" buttons repeatedly whilst i watched a programme... after 200+ fast repeated presses the stickiness was gone. its also a good workout for your thumb! my thumb is now like a piston lol

Medusa
25th March 2011, 11:51 PM
I finally got around to trying this. Bought 99% isopropyl alcohol, dipped a qtip into it and meticulously dripped it on and around the D-pad buttons and square/circle etc. buttons.
It worked! Thanks very much for the suggestions! And, I now own enough isopropyl to bathe my controllers in it if I so desire, multiple times, since it was only available in a half-litre size...anybody need some?

infoxicated
29th March 2011, 08:17 AM
Glad to know it worked - I need to pick some up myself, as I have a couple of sticky buttons on a pair of controllers.

For me the main issue is analogue stick creep, but that's just poor components as opposed to being sticky.

Nutcase:259
29th March 2011, 11:58 AM
How does everyone get there controllers so dirty? :g

i had analogue stick creep on a ps2 controller. i think you can pull it up so there's like a popping sound. its doesn't really solve it but it makes the stick a bit err 'stiffer' so you can centre it and it wont keep moving slightly off centre.

Medusa
29th March 2011, 02:22 PM
LOL Nutcase, I'd really like to know how mine got sticky--I'm absolutely anal about keeping my electronics clean...so when I realized the buttons were sticking: "WHAT?!" :blarg

slimjim
29th March 2011, 03:18 PM
is it a thing that happens over time ive had my ds3 since release of the slim and mine haven't stuck yet

Nutcase:259
29th March 2011, 06:30 PM
maybe you need wipeout gloves haha.

perhaps it all depends on when you controller was built? ive had my sixaxis since i got my ps3 august 2008 and i haven't had a single issue :P.
But the DS3 i got a few months later has a r2 button that doesn't spring back when you press it down :(
i assume alot of the controller is made from bought in components from various companies so perhaps some companies provide better quality materials than others, so all your mess will clog it up more easily :P :lol

Medusa
30th March 2011, 03:27 AM
Hmm there's a thought...why didn't I think of playing with my brown kid leather driving gloves on before??
Welcome to the future of the WipEout nErd: pulling on your driving gloves, picking up your controller...3, 2, 1, GO (sweat) :lol