PDA

View Full Version : Discrepancy between the Wipeout Pure In-game music and Official Soundtrack

camroncamera
25th February 2011, 08:37 PM
I've thoroughly searched the forum but have not been able to find the answer I am looking for regarding a discrepancy between the Wipeout Pure UMD In-game music and the 19-track Wipeout Pure Official Sound Track CD by Distinct'ive Records.

Specifically:
Wipeout Pure UMD (US), Sony Computer Entertainment of America UCUS98612
Wipeout Pure Official Soundtrack, Distinct'ive Records, Ltd. DISNCD155
http://www.discogs.com/release/496604

I understand that the tracklisting is slightly different between the two, although most music tracks are shared between the UMD and CD. The game UMD contains a few music tracks that the CD omits, and the OST CD contains three "bonus" tracks that do not appear in the game. All fine and dandy so far.

However, there is a big discrepancy for a music track that is (supposedly) shared on both the Game UMD and OST CD: "Night Mover" by Stanton Warriors.
When I play "Night Mover" (Track #14) on my CD of the Wipeout Pure OST, the track that is played on the CD actually seems to be "The System" by T Power. "Night Mover" does not actually appear on the OST, even though it is listed on the printed jacket. "The System" by T-Power and "Night Mover" by Stanton Warriors both appear on the UMD game disc. Seems someone has made a mistake on the OST CD.

Looking around the internet, it appears that the OST CD was reissued at some point with 20 music tracks instead of the 19 that originally appeared. This reissue CD seems to contain both "The System" by T-Power and "Night Mover" by Stanton Warriors. When you go to the Wipeout Pure OST product page at Amazon.co.uk, you'll see that 20 tracks are listed. The same is true for Amazon USA, but the US Amazon allows you to also sample the music tracks on the CD... but when you click to listen, the 19-track version of the CD is the item available to listen, not the 20 track version, so it starts to get confusing :/ When one clicks to sample the OST .mp3 album songs for purchase on either the Amazon USA or Amazon UK pages, it is a 19 track album, but it appears the tracklisting has been corrected; "Night Mover" by Stanton Warriors is correctly played, and "The System" by T Power does not appear. Is everyone lost yet? I know I am :D

So this boils down to my "question": Does the Wipeout Pure PSP UMD game *indeed* have the music tracks listed correctly for "Night Mover" by Stanton Warriors and "The System" by T Power? AND does the first-edition 19-track Wipeout Pure Official Soundtrack CD have a mistake in the tracklisting as described above? OR is it the other way around, and the CD is correct and the game is incorrect?

Thanks for listening :D

PS further resources:
Wipeoutzone thread on the OST: http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2332

EDIT: Okay, I have found an official Stanton Warriors page which contains a sample of "Night Mover": http://stantonwarriors.labelshop.org/ (Click to page 2 to see the "Night Mover" sample). I can CONFIRM that the tracklisting on my 19-song Wipeout Pure Official Soundtrack is indeed INCORRECT; "Night Mover" is listed on the CD label, but the track that appears in its place is actually "The System" by T Power, as I suspected.

rdmx
26th February 2011, 12:18 AM
I'll find you a photo/take one of my official OST disc afterwards if you still require it.
The printed disc does indeed contain Night Mover but NOT The System.
The tracks omitted from the OST disc are The System, Gold Rush, Black Jack.
Instead, the tracks Zulu, Saxtrax and Pulse of Life appear

camroncamera
26th February 2011, 12:39 AM
Does your copy of the Pure OST CD have 19 or 20 music tracks? Mine was definitely mis-mastered, 19 tracks total, and without "Night Mover" (but with "The System" in its place at #14). Thanks for any details you can provide! :D

Just for clarification, I do have a genuine, factory-pressed CD from Distinct'ive Records Ltd. EU, not a copy, download or bootleg.

camroncamera
26th February 2011, 06:47 PM
Another attempt by me to muddy the waters :D :

Amazon USA Product page for Wipeout Pure: Official Soundtrack CD:
http://www.amazon.com/Wipeout-Pure-Soundtrack-Various-Artists/dp/B000A87K7S/
We see that 20 tracks are listed on this version of the CD:

1. Aphex Twin – Naks Acid
2. Cold Storage – Onyx
3. Drumattic Twins – Twister
4. Elite Force – Cross The Line
5. Freq Nasty – Grand Theft (Edit)
6. Friendly – We Got Juice
7. Jay Tripwire – Room 2
8. LFO – Flu Shot
9. Ming & FS – Hellion
10. Paul Hartnoll – Boot Up
11. Paul Hartnoll – Ignition
12. Photek – C-Note (Instrumental Mix)
13. Rennie Pilgrem & Roxiller – Bug
14. Stanton Warriors – Night Mover
15. T Power – The System
16. Tayo Meets Acid Rockers Uptown – Crafty Youth
17. Themroc – MeanRed
18. Ils – Saxtrax [Bonus Track]
19. Way Out West – Pulse of Life (Edit) [Bonus Track]
20. Hybrid – Zulu [Bonus Track]
(Italics mine, showing that both "Night Mover" and "The System" are listed on this release.)

From the "Wipeout Pure OST CD" Amazon USA product page above, there is a "Listen to samples" link:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/recsradio/radio/B000A87K7S/
You'll see that 20 tracks are shown here, but only 19 of the tracks have a "listen" playback sample feature. If you click #14 "Night Mover", what you'll hear instead is "The System". This is exactly what my 19-track OST CD is like. If you continue to listen the the remaining samples, you'll hear that each of the others are incorrectly listed, probably because the samples on the product page were created from a mis-printed 19-track CD like mine, but using the label info from the 20-track reissue CD. And "Night Mover" by Stanton Warriors, though printed in the tracklisting, is actually absent from the music available to play. At the bottom of the list one of the Bonus Tracks, "Zulu" by Hybrid appears greyed out - it is not a clickable sample; however, the track Zulu actually plays when the link above it is clicked - "Pulse of Life" by Way Out West... and "Pulse of Life" actually plays when "Saxtrax" by ILS is clicked... and so on back up to #14, where the whole mishap starts :D

Let's now visit the Amazon USA product page for the .MP3 Album of Wipeout Pure OST:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000S98Z00/
Here we see 19 music tracks available, and the purchase option is by "album only". The tracklisting is as follows:

1. Naks Acid Aphex Twin
2. Onyx Cold Storage
3. Twister Drumattic Twins
4. Cross The Line Elite Force
5. Grand Theft Freq Nasty
6. We Got Juice Friendly
7. Room 2 Jay Tripwire
8. Flushot LFO
9. Hellion Ming & Fs
10. Boot Up Paul Hartnoll
11. Ignition Paul Hartnoll
12. C-Note (Instrumental Mix) Photek
13. Bug Rennie Pilgrem & Roxiller
14. Night Mover Stanton Warriors
15. Crazy Youth Tayo Meets Acid Rockers Uptown
16. Mean Reds Themroc
17. Sax Trax Ils
18. Pulse Of Life Wow
19. Zulu Hybrid
(Italics mine, showing that only "Night Mover" is listed, and not "The System" by T Power, on this release.)

If on the product page for the .MP3 Album you click to listen to #14 "Night Mover" by Stanton Warriors... the correct track is played - it really does play "Night Mover". But strangely, the .MP3 album does not have all 20 music tracks like the reissued CD, and does not contain "The System" by T Power.

camroncamera
3rd March 2011, 04:43 PM
Another update. I bought on ebay the PROMO version of Wipeout Pure: The Official Soundtrack, DISNCDP155. This CD contains 20 music tracks, and though the printed face of the CD is slightly different than my 19-track commercial release, the playback seems to be identical to the 20-track commercial release described in the posts above.