PDA

View Full Version : Youtube / video problem

Colonel
12th February 2011, 11:31 AM
God knows what this is all about, but the last couple of days youtube videos and certain flash videos have been dispalying strangely on my PC. They've been split horizontally with a thick green band across the middle. I've attached a screenshot as an example. Can anyone tell me what's going on and how I fix it?

Cheers in advance :)

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x188/logicevents/youtube_split.jpg

SaturnReturn
12th February 2011, 12:13 PM
That does look odd. It's not something messing up with 3D settings is it? I'm completely speculating as I've never seen it before.:?

Woopzilla
12th February 2011, 12:17 PM
Found this: http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/youtube/thread?tid=631cc6037a91cc89&hl=en

Sounds like thats your exact problem. You should try updating your graphics card drivers.

Colonel
12th February 2011, 01:32 PM
Fantastic, thanks Woop :beer

mdhay
12th February 2011, 03:41 PM
I get the whole video screen going green after coming back from sleep mode, eventually, I got a BSoD, although it was a low - resolution one. Strange how this happens though.

blackwiggle
12th February 2011, 09:32 PM
mdhay
What you describe is usually a sign that your video card might be about to die.
Exactly the same thing happened a few months ago on one of my PC's.
I recommend you replace it ASAP, as I made the mistake and waited too long to replace mine due to lack of funds at the time [used other temporary fixes] and this problem crashed my PC so many times it must of done some serious damage to the main HD that has the OS on it, because now it won't boot at all.

The next PC I build will be based around the new Intel sandy beach second generation i5-2500k CPU. you don't need a video card at all, it and it's i7-2500k big brother are specifically designed for video editing and low power consumption [not games though], I've see benchmark test where this chip has done video processing 7 times faster than the current fastest video card [wait till you see the huge leap it performance and battery life in new Lap Top's using these chips, since no video card to drain power ], cheaper as well, so all good.

mdhay
12th February 2011, 10:34 PM
It's on my laptop, there's not really any way for me to replace it (Well, I can't think of a way to replace it without getting the laptop serviced, and they [Comet] will probably just give me a new laptop and say they couldn't fix it).

See, this only started when I upgraded the driver, after then it would make very loud noises for no reason, even as it was switching off, and of course, the YT video and BsOD problems. I've rolled back to a previous driver and it may have helped.

Colonel
14th February 2011, 07:48 AM
Found this: http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/youtube/thread?tid=631cc6037a91cc89&hl=en

Sounds like thats your exact problem. You should try updating your graphics card drivers.

All sorted now - after a bit of a cock up which made my screen a massive mess of 16 colours! Thanks again Woop, now I can watch your cup video :)