PDA

View Full Version : HEAD's UP-Latest PS3 update means you cannot upgrade your HD

blackwiggle
12th February 2011, 12:29 AM
I just saw this post at another forum so I copied & pasted it here so you guys know what the story is.

######## Please note, you cannot upgrade or exchange your hard drive on a PS3 with firmware version 3.56##########

I'm writing this as a general service to anyone considering upgrading their hard drives, or replacing their hard drive in the event of failure. Sony is aware of the issue, although their official knowledge base doesn't specifically address it. This problem is documented for the US, EU, and Asia regions.
Note this doesn’t affect EVERY user’s PS3 apparently----some people are still able to upgrade if they have the original hard drive. Most cannot.

The 3.56 update, released Jan 27, 2011, included 3D Blu-Ray support and security measures to block the recently-discovered jailbreak PS3 security issues.

But it also prevents system updates from being loaded from external media. In other words, if your PS3 is firmware 3.56 and you try to add a new hard drive, it will ask you to insert removable storage with the latest firmware data and press “Start” and “Select” at the same time to initiate the transfer, just like before on many other firmware versions.
The issue is that the PS3 finds the update and displays a message that says “The data is corrupt,” and the PS3 must be restarted, error code 8002F2C5.

As of this writing, there is no fix. If you have a new PS3 and it is NOT updated to 3.56, you can upgrade your PS3-----install your upgraded hard drive first before updating to 3.56 and you’re good to go.

This post will be updated when there is a fix or an update or pending the next firmware update, which may or may not include a fix to this issue. Some people say Sony is working on a fix, others say Sony says there is no issue.

Original post.
http://www.ps3trophies.com/forums/general-ps3-discussion/54662-ps3-fw-3-56-you-cannot-upgrade-replace-your-hard-drive-anymore.html

Reports of this problem at the Aus/NZ Playstation forum.
http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Technical-Support-Help-Advice/System-Update-3-56-Data-Corrupted-after-Swap-HDD/td-p/12309619

slimjim
12th February 2011, 01:05 AM
i thought it got sorted because you could download the newer 3.56 patch

blackwiggle
12th February 2011, 02:53 AM
No it's the 3.56 system update that is the cause of the problems.

jesse9705
12th February 2011, 03:25 AM
no darn it i already installed it on my 72 Gig PS3

F.E.I.S.A.R
12th February 2011, 07:20 AM
You cannot use update media of say,3.50 to change the HDD(provided you kept a copy of the firmware data)?

SaturnReturn
12th February 2011, 11:02 AM
Well this is a bitch. Need to send my PS3 off for repair, but don't want to send it with the large hard drive I have in there in case it gets screwed up. But then I send it in with the original hard disk, it's possible they'll boost up and format it and I won't be able to put my old hard disk back in. Sucks!

I have to be honest, this gradual degradation of the PS3's features is really starting to get to me. Really not keen on buying a PS3 slim now, which I was considering.

F.E.I.S.A.R
12th February 2011, 12:37 PM
Think Sony will attempt to pull this off on the PSP 1000 to 3000 models by making an update that makes swapping of memory cards impossible in that the memory stick in the PSP at time of update is the ONLY memory stick that can be used in that PSP?

SaturnReturn
12th February 2011, 01:05 PM
I think that would be silly. Sony makes memory sticks and it's designed as removable media. They want people to buy more of them.

MetaKraken
12th February 2011, 01:13 PM
I see the update 3.56, but I'm gonna be taking caution if I'm gonna install it, but then again, if what FEISAR said is true, then I won't install it until it's safe to install the latest update.

Feisar31
12th February 2011, 11:17 PM
Like slimjim said, this was already fixed (as it says a few posts down in the first link blackwiggle posted). They released a second version of firmware 3.56, which you can get by manually updating. Of course, it probably would have been better if Sony had made it a mandatory update, given the severity of the issue. Apparently people who already reformatted their old 3.56v1 drive are still out of luck, so in that sense the problem isn't completely resolved.