PDA

View Full Version : PlayStation Phone

infoxicated
27th October 2010, 07:43 AM
The Engadget prototype pics look a little rough around the edges, but I'm due an upgrade from next month, so I'm all over it when it lands!

Anyone else thinking of getting one?

brainbeat
27th October 2010, 08:00 AM
runs off to read engadget, :)
Im definitely not getting another iphone and got a year left, might be interested:hyper

mic-dk
27th October 2010, 08:17 AM
I can't really imagine anything I want less, execpt, maybe, a red hot poker in one of my bodily cavities... :eek

I admit I hate all smartphones with a passion and has generally lost all confidence in consumer electronics as a whole, but... The whole idea of tying down the (paying) customer to One Offical AppStore with only "good, safe" apps approved by the All-knowing Company is grinding my gears. I see how Apple run their business, and how Sony runs the PSN. Now imagine a combination of the two (ref the other thread :) ) it's EVIL I tells ya!

Other than that, the hardware looks nice, and had they made a PSP-with-a-SIM I would definitely be interested, but this "specially developed apps" sound omnious in my ears.

[/GrumpyMan]

infoxicated
27th October 2010, 08:49 AM
I reckon it'll play all the PSP Minis (meh) and probably run a PS1 emulator (semi-meh), but if it has the power to run the latest PSP titles, like the new God of War, as well as Remote Play to my PS3 then it's full of win.

Not convinced by the look of the hardware just yet, but I'm going to hold off on my planned upgrade to a HTC Desire Z until I see when the PlayStation Phone will land. I had heard a rumour it was due before the festive season, but I just don't see that happening with it not being officially announced yet.

Should it be launching any time in the next three months then I am so there - love the idea of having access to my PSN content anywhere, any time. :)

someguy789
27th October 2010, 01:31 PM
I prefer the 3000 to the Go and I'm sure it'll be really overpriced so I doubt I'll buy it.
It's a good idea though I wonder if other companies (eg: Nintendo) will try something similar?

mic-dk
27th October 2010, 01:33 PM
I'm abandoning HTC and waiting and hoping, the Nokia E7 will live up to my expectations. I will, of course, be disappointed yet again ;)

If the PSPhone will be able to run all PSP titles, I agree it will be very interesting. Imagine all those speed laps I could do in meetings!

infoxicated
27th October 2010, 01:39 PM
@someguy789 The difference with a phone would be the operator subsidies that turn a £400 smartphone into a free upgrade for most folk.

Same would be true of the PlayStation phone, I suspect.

@mic-dk I don't think I could ever trust Nokia again - their cutting of 1500 jobs at Symbian last week does not bode well for the future of the platform.

kanar
27th October 2010, 01:49 PM
didn't buy an iphone yet just because I'm waiting for that lol. Can't wait, but would have been better to use the upcoming psp2 basics already, as I'll be "obliged" to buy 2 products instead of one super hardware.

mic-dk
27th October 2010, 07:24 PM
@mic-dk I don't think I could ever trust Nokia again - their cutting of 1500 jobs at Symbian last week does not bode well for the future of the platform.

1500? Didn't know that :(

I had sort of hoped all their OS hopping was coming to an end with Symbian^3 and their more or less ditching of maemo. That only leaves that meego creature to kill...

Anyhoos, I'll keep an eye on this PS phone. I really want to be able to have Pure ready on my phone for those boring meetings/toiletvisits :D

F.E.I.S.A.R
29th October 2010, 11:58 AM
Hm...the CPU of the PSP runs at a default cloacked rate of 222 mhz.My phone(an Xperia X2)has a processor speed of 528 mhz.I wonder if this benchmark is even fair.

MetaKraken
30th October 2010, 03:44 AM
Well, I'm not too excited on getting the new PlayStation Phone. I already have my PSP (and my cellphone), so two is enough.

mdhay
30th October 2010, 02:29 PM
Does it take UMD's? One of the pics loos like it does, although I doubt it.

ProblemSolver
31st October 2010, 02:23 PM
What OS does it feature, is it proprietary one? Am interested in
developing stuff for it, but if Sony hides ($$$) the SDK and sh!t,
then I guess there is little chance to form a proper base compared
to iOS and Android.

Are the specs known?

F.E.I.S.A.R
31st October 2010, 02:30 PM
I think it is still in it's prototype stages. ANYTHING can change. And I think the processor will be totally different as the phone would always be on. Any way to end tasks? You may have closed the program,but in WM 6.5.3,you have to end the task!

amplificated
31st October 2010, 02:30 PM
According to the article (http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/26/the-playstation-phone/), the phone will use Android.

Zoth-Ommog
31st October 2010, 02:32 PM
I don't think I could ever trust Nokia again - their cutting of 1500 jobs at Symbian last week does not bode well for the future of the platform.

Symbian is old stuff soon, what i've read Nokia will begin to develop MeeGo platform. So you're right what it comes to future of Symbian OS.

ProblemSolver
31st October 2010, 02:44 PM
According to the article (http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/26/the-playstation-phone/), the phone will use Android.
The best I could possibly imagine. :) Good move, if true.

F.E.I.S.A.R
25th November 2010, 05:51 AM
The phone uses Android...
Eh...I think there will be some compatibility issues to be solved. If it is a phone,how will the system work? A hardware specific app to play PSP games or is it integrated into the phone's OS?

infoxicated
25th November 2010, 12:50 PM
I decided not to wait for it and got an HTC Desire Z last week. I figured that by the time the PlayStation phone is out and the games reach a critical mass I'll probably be due for another upgrade anyway.