PDA

View Full Version : Any DiRT 2 Players out there?

Challenger #001
14th October 2010, 11:30 AM
So booted up C. McRae's second memorial game this morning, only to find that 'DreamyElf realises the capabilities of the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 9'. Had a race with Mr Greece just now, where he thoroughly whupped me in Morocco. Anyone else up for a game or two in the future?

OBH
14th October 2010, 11:43 AM
If i still owned it on the ps3 i would :) got it for 360 with my mates badass wheel.

Great game.

DreamyElf
14th October 2010, 12:47 PM
those races were really fun chal^^
especially the one we both crashed and dnf... lol

you know Colin McRae Rally was my fav racing game (along with GT), i loved it and played to death. i had all the games.
my dream, since psone days, was to play a CMR game with a wheel.
now that dream has come true, it's so amazing, i totally recommend you buying a DFGT if play Dirt2 or GT.
i just love the rally and trailblazers events on this game!^^
not a fan of the others modes (baja, trucks, buggies) but the experience i have while racing from cockpit view is terrifying (in a good way...). :)

i'm really looking forward to Dirt 3, as i read that Codemasters obtained the WRC licence, it will also have stages with rain and snow.
bring back the good old CMR days Codemasters, i know you can.

Challenger #001
14th October 2010, 01:14 PM
Utah is a car-wrecker, no doubt about that. You're just so fast down it you can't afford a single mistake.

I do have a wheel, I just have nowhere to put it. It's a Ferrari 3-in-1 Thrustmaster Force Feedback wheel, which has a really dodgy clamping system - means I can't put it anywhere except on a perfectly level table, and how many of those are around? :/ And trying to transport an entire set up to and from the UK to France would be a nightmare - it is with the wheel itself anyway.

That said though, I did find a lot of use for it in my early days of having it - it was used for the RACE07 games on the PC; NFS:Undercover and GT5:Prologue on the PS3 before I got bored of the snore-fest. I swear, I've had more fun playing Burnout and WipEout than I ever will have with GT4 or 5.

3 was fun though - it got use from the wheel, as did the NFS games, and even WipEout Fusion. (Trust me - it works with the dodgy physics - so much fun. ^^). I also did a career on Race Driver: GRID with it, and I played the WRC03 with it as well. But McCrae DiRT 1 is simply too sideways to warrant a wheel in my opinion.

What I found a great use for it is the hidden gem that every GT fanboy should play - Enthusia Professional Racing for the PS2. If you thought Forza or GT were the definitive words on realistic driving, you've seen nothing yet.

Yeah, not big on the Baja/T1 things. I buy a rally game to play with rally cars!:evil That said, I went to a British Rallycross event and would love to try the RX150 buggies at some point. ^^

I think a WRC game is coming out for itself this year anyway, but I won't complain if I get to have Doran and Foust as my teammates all to go gang up on Kimi Raikkonen. :D

UB3R~JKP
14th October 2010, 02:25 PM
Disgrace to the Colin Mc Name, awful game and not even like real rally in the slightest, Arcadey and false, baiscally GRID on Dirt, literally. I don't mind arcadey games but they advertise it as a "rallying experience" yeahhh....no

OBH
14th October 2010, 05:05 PM
Arcadey and false, baiscally GRID on Dirt

Other way round mate, Dirt came first.

Dirt 2 is a sick game under one condition - that you use the internal view. The driving experience is soooooooo much better. Ive never in my life seen a driving game that changes so drastically based on the camera.

You miss out on so much detail from the outside - specific car damage, water splashes on the windscreen (so dangerous!), dashboard toys etc. Being able to look around, you appreciate how polished it really is.

And in a steering wheel and online play and you get a giant :+ from me.

.... as long as its internal! :beer

DeepMix
14th October 2010, 07:20 PM
i got the game, i dont play it as i used to now is just collecting dust but still is a great game :)

UB3R~JKP
14th October 2010, 08:51 PM
Other way round mate, Dirt came first.

Dirt 2 is a sick game under one condition - that you use the internal view. The driving experience is soooooooo much better. Ive never in my life seen a driving game that changes so drastically based on the camera.

You miss out on so much detail from the outside - specific car damage, water splashes on the windscreen (so dangerous!), dashboard toys etc. Being able to look around, you appreciate how polished it really is.

And in a steering wheel and online play and you get a giant :+ from me.

.... as long as its internal! :beer

Ah, no? Dirt 2 is what we are talking about, nothing like Dirt 1, why? Codemasters 1st game was a flop because of the intense realism, I loved Dirt 1. So no it wasn't Dirt first, I don't even consider Dirt 2 to exist alongside the other Mcrae games, oh well enjoy the 33% actual rallying in the game

Kyonshi
14th October 2010, 11:20 PM
DiRT 2, no, but DiRT... HAIL DIRT!!! :D This is by far one of the most realistic, intense and immersive rally racing game i've played. Gorgeous graphics, lots of tracks and cars, past and present.

I totally despise DiRT 2 interface and approach. I don't wanna play NFS: Pro-Scrap, i wanna play DiRT!!! DiRT maybe had a modest interface, but it went to the essential: rally racing. I don't wanna go to a party, i wanna race. DiRT 2 has also gorgeous graphics and track locations. Cool cars too. But WHAT THE **** happened to controls and handling?!? I may not have the best knowledge of vehicle physics, but i don't find it very credible to have a 4x4 pick-up turning quicker than a Feisar ship... You barely touch the analog and it turns at 90°... No thanks.

And as UBER~JKP mentioned, i don't think DiRT is supposed to be an arcade racer. I'm all for implementing X Games style racing in stadium, but could we stay at the level of DiRT, or maybe even GRID? And that's another one i hope they won't screw up. GRID is the coolest urban racer ever! If GT5 flops, you'll see me still playing GRID and its hopefully greater following chapter ;):+

DreamyElf
15th October 2010, 07:57 AM
no one said Dirt 2 is the best rally experience.
it's just a FUN off-road game.
but it's not arcade, neither simulation, something between those two.
if you want an arcade rally there is Sega Rally.
if you want a pure sim-based rally experience nothing comes close to Richard Burns Rally.
CMR games have always been made with sim and arcade elements to make sure that the game is fun to play.

with that said i'm sorry but Dirt was the only game in CMR series that i didn't like.
just a personal opinion here, i respect yours guys.

about the direction that CMR games took with the release of Dirt, it's wasn't only Codemasters decision, it was Colin's too.
he wanted to add more off-road elements to the CMR games.
if you remember he used to race in many other events in his life like the known Paris-Dakar Rally in his Mitsubishi Pajero.

we sadly don't have a great rally game on ps3 so i think it's pointless to try to say which is better. (neither Dirt, Dirt 2, WRC or Sega Rally is perfect)
just play which you think you find more enjoyable and lets hope that Dirt 3 or WRC next year will deliver what we all want.

Challenger #001
15th October 2010, 08:04 AM
I liked both DiRT games and I recently got engaged to GRiD. ;3 Anyone want to add me for a race on that, no problem at all. Just don't expect wonders from me on the Prototypes. XD