PDA

View Full Version : cant believe it, my ps3s dead

OBH
22nd July 2010, 07:45 AM
Thats right, less than 2 months since having the internet again, and my ps3 dies.....

Was mid race, then it simply turned off, and now the power button continues to flash.

Not happy, only paid £120 to get it fixed in February.

KIGO1987
22nd July 2010, 08:24 AM
That how my PS3 crapped itself, was one the ship selection screen, and i selected Piranha and the screen freezes, i turn it back on does the red light flashing crap on me, followed by a yellow light.

Bugger these old PS3 are going out one by one.

Didnt you give your PS3 an ultimately vacuum at Gaz's place Haydn? Youve got one of the last fats that where on the market, 80GB variant that couldnt read PS2 discs. Andy said yours sounded like a refrigerator unit, noisy as.

So your PS3 has been fixed twice now correct?

(i really should get a slim before GT5 so my balls dont get broken)

DreamyElf
22nd July 2010, 11:30 AM
i'm really sorry haydn... :(
i hope you have made a back-up mate.
that's the thing i'm afraid the most.
gone are the days when you simply bought a new console after the old one died.you had the saves stored safe at the memory cards...
now things are more complicated with psn accounts: dlc,trophies, copy protected saves...
you either give the console to the sony service and getting ripped-off (plus your console will die very soon again) or you buy a new ps3 transfer everything and sell the old one before it dies...

i have my ps3 slim for 8 months now but i'll sell it next year and buy a new one just to avoid this situation.
this is a lot better solution imo...

hope you get back online soon obh! :)

blackwiggle
22nd July 2010, 12:34 PM
It might be a different problem since this time it's the flashing red light [that's what I've just suffered], was the last time it died a YLOD?

Either way, 2 months then it dying on you again sucks big time, and if I remember correctly, you were out of action for what seemed an age last time, I feel for you.:(

Mine has been a noisy little so and so since it's return from the Sony PS3 hospital, it will be running quietly then the fans will suddenly kick in a lot faster and it actually becomes nosier than the blasted Xpox, it does that every 15 minutes now for a few minutes.
If it's been programmed by Sony to do that now I don't know, I think it must be because it's bloody freezing in Sydney atm, so it couldn't be overheating, plus I've read at the PS forums that this "new improved noisy version" to be the standard state that the PS3's return from a Sony repair. :rolleyes:

yeldar2097
22nd July 2010, 01:39 PM
You don't know the meaning of a loud PS3 til you hear Haydn's. I thought mine was loud, I was very wrong. Thought it was going to take off at any moment.

**** news for you Haydn, was hoping the cleaning would help but clearly didn't. Actually it was still noisy afterwards so the problem may have been a bit deeper within the inner workings etc...

Bit worried now though, first Kigo, then you, who's next??

Hope you can get it sorted soon mate :)

Amorbis
22nd July 2010, 02:39 PM
That's bad news OBH, especially after you've recently had it fixed. If I were you I'd lay it to rest and buy a slim. Although slims are more expensive than fixing it and the hard drive is still in the old one. My launch 60GB PS3 is still going strong and it only gets noisy when the weather is hot or I've been playing for over an hour. I keep it in a ventilated area on top of a set of drawers, none of the fans are blocked and I've hoovered it recently to get rid of some of the dust.

I hope you get back online soo OBH, we have a doubles league to do! ;)

ProblemSolver
22nd July 2010, 04:19 PM
How many fats to go?

Oh OBH, my warmest condolences. ;)

Get the crap out and get a slim. The slim was built for a reason! xD

Darkdrium777
22nd July 2010, 04:40 PM
I think it's time to buy a slim.

If it's done this twice, already, it might do it again if you get it fixed.
You'll be out of three times the repair cost if you buy a slim, but at least you won't have to repair it a third time if it ever breaks again.

Let me explain a little, I think my post is confusing:

First repair: 120L
Second repair: 120L
Third repair (Possible): 120L

OR

First Repair: 120L
Slim purchase: 250L

It all comes down to around the same price, if you see what I mean. Oh and L is for Pounds, I don't have that symbol on my keyboard.

ProblemSolver
22nd July 2010, 04:49 PM
...but at least you won't have to repair it a third time if it ever breaks again.
I expect that almost all heavy used fats will break sooner or later. Repairing
a fat just postpones the time until next impact. Kigo, good luck! xD

ACE-FLO
22nd July 2010, 05:30 PM
I swear my breathing is louder than my slim PS3 :D had it since November, but will probabby do what DreamyElf suggested, if my one started to get noisier... I do give it a good hoovering every month now - and that does hekp keep the midget quiet :D

I guess the best option for you Haydn, is to get it fixed just so you can get all your save data off it when you get yourself a Slim PS3 (it's inevitable Mr Anderson :D) like Kigo is planning on doing. Just don't go playing the fixed one too much or it's money thrown away if it dies again on you :?

Out of interest, have you found out how much it will cost you to repair it?

EDIT: I just got a message from Kigo to "Get online on BLUR NOW" ... ROFL, 20 player multiplayer racing, and he expects his PS3 to cope for hours on end... KIGO - careful matey ;)

ProblemSolver
22nd July 2010, 05:44 PM
... EDIT: I just got a message from Kigo to "Get online on BLUR NOW" ... ROFL, 20 player multiplayer racing, and he expects his PS3 to cope for hours on end... KIGO - careful matey ...
Euphoria? Perhaps his last few races. You never know. ;)

Darkdrium777
22nd July 2010, 05:56 PM
I hope he at least did that backup he was supposed to do.

KIGO1987
22nd July 2010, 09:14 PM
Yes i did do that Xavier. I did it as soon as i got my PS3 back on Monday. All 4hours and 15minutes worth of data backup :)

Euphoria? Perhaps his last few races. You never know. ;)

No actually:g ive just got out of a Blur room for the longest time ever, must of been 4hours or so, absolute Cambodia in the room, plus Australian swearing to the max as well :D Got new mate on my friends list too out of it. Im going to ask him to join this forum, sounded like an American from the East Coast or something.

I think it's time to buy a slim.

If it's done this twice, already, it might do it again if you get it fixed.
You'll be out of three times the repair cost if you buy a slim, but at least you won't have to repair it a third time if it ever breaks again.

Let me explain a little, I think my post is confusing:

First repair: 120L
Second repair: 120L
Third repair (Possible): 120L

OR

First Repair: 120L
Slim purchase: 250L

It all comes down to around the same price, if you see what I mean. Oh and L is for Pounds, I don't have that symbol on my keyboard.

Hopefully before Gran Turismo 5 comes out, ive got the money at disposal to purchase a PS3 slim. My PS3 is just loading like a POS atm. and i really dont want to miss out on the next Avalon session in August either.

Rapier Racer
22nd July 2010, 09:58 PM
Oh this is great I have a UK launch 60GB PS3 the one that plays PS2 games. Hopefully it won't die :( I'm not exactly filled with confidence after seeing a few of the threads on here.

gone are the days when you simply bought a new console after the old one died.you had the saves stored safe at the memory cards...
now things are more complicated with psn accounts: dlc,trophies, copy protected saves...

I don't know if anyone noticed but there is a transfer option in the system settings menu that lets you easily copy everything over, including copy protected save files, I don't know if you need to connect it to another PS3 and have them both working at the same time or not.

Dark_Phantom_89
22nd July 2010, 10:30 PM
When turning your PS3 on, how quickly did the fans kick in?

DreamyElf
23rd July 2010, 06:52 AM
I don't know if anyone noticed but there is a transfer option in the system settings menu that lets you easily copy everything over, including copy protected save files, I don't know if you need to connect it to another PS3 and have them both working at the same time or not.

both ps3's must be on and are connected via an ethernet cable...
also the process is very slow and you may also lose some data during the transfer...
so basically if your ps3 dies then you can't do the transfer, only sony service can do it...

OBH
23rd July 2010, 07:34 AM
Cheers for the replies and suggestions everyone.
I had a look on google and anyone who has a flashing power button says that at some stage it goes yellow.

Mine however doesnt go yellow, in fact at first it appears to be working correctly -- turns on, both buttons are lit up, just nothing appears on the screen, then a few seconds in it beeps and then the power button continues to flash.

Tempted to the throw the mother fooker in the bin to be totally honest. Thats twice in 6 months its busted. Definitely not paying another 120 to get it repaired, and Im gutted i had to pull off the warranty sticker at Gareths to clean it otherwise id have claimed my statutory rights that all electrical equipment in Britain has a years warranty by law.

Going to be an expensive couple of months too with a number of weddings and various other stuff to do, so no ps3 (again) for quite some time id imagine.

Not a happy bunny.

(ove also never, ever backed up my ps3 :))

KIGO1987
23rd July 2010, 10:39 AM
I know that sense of frustration there Haydn, i said to a mate of mine regarding my laptop that a i would throw the bastard off the roof of Central Park (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Park_%28skyscraper%29) if it was going to pull another HDD corruption on me.

Hope you can get that PS3 functioning for just a small period of time, get that backup you need.

Rapier Racer
23rd July 2010, 04:11 PM
When turning your PS3 on, how quickly did the fans kick in?

Who was that for? When i turn mine on you can hear the fan blast for a second or 2 then it fades out to nothing, after a little bit it picks up a notch and you can hear it gently blowing away when the TV goes quiet, it only gets louderish if the room is very warm in such cases opening the window causes it to pipe down again in a hurry. This is the way it had acted since day 1.

stinkleroy
24th July 2010, 12:41 PM
Ah OBH this truly sucks :( You finally get your internet back and now this...hope you can find yourself another ps3 soon :/

Dark_Phantom_89
24th July 2010, 04:19 PM
Who was that for?

I meant that for OBH, but it's always good to hear how other people's PS3's behave too. I've become quite obsessed recently with protecting it from YLOD.

KIGO1987
24th July 2010, 05:19 PM
Alot of us (here) on this forum. Will be having to purchase PS3 Slims soon. PS is thinking about getting one, boo4ever PS3 did the YLOD on him, but he managed to fix it via the heatgun method. My PS3 isnt going to survive the next Australian summer at all, im going to sit it in front of the air-conditioning unit soon as the heat picks up in coming months.

Only thing you can really do there Haydn is doing what the majority are, packing up either there functioning or non functioning PS3 fats, and changing to a slim, i dont like the slims at all, but if it can deal with the Australia summers better than my old fat, really is the only choice. Just dont want this to happen anytime during the release of GT5.

Haydn only thing you can really do there mate:(

mdhay
24th July 2010, 06:26 PM
Sorry to hear about the YLOD, Haydn. Hope you get yourself hooked up again soon. :+

infoxicated
24th July 2010, 06:26 PM
No kidding. Kigo's one going and then Haydn's has me very nervous indeed.

Was playing MAG for a few hours last night and although it ran pretty hot, all was well with the game.

As far as I know it's the heat cycles that kill them in the end - it's maybe even better to leave them on than it is to have them heat up and cool down all the time, as it's the heat expansion and contraction that breaks the solder on the motherboard.

I'd rather have a new mountainbike, laptop and TV than a new PS3, though, so I'm not ready to splash on a PS3 Slim just yet. Think I'll chance my arm and wait for the festive season bundles to start showing up. A Fallout New Vegas, GT5 or Rock Band 3 bundle would be very tempting.

mdhay
24th July 2010, 07:17 PM
....Think I'll chance my arm and wait for the festive season bundles to start showing up. A Fallout New Vegas....

I'd be careful with that if there is one/ should you get a slim and New vegas. Seeing as it's running on Fallout 3's Engine, it'll probably be full of bugs that only the PC version can get past (I wouldn't trust Bethsoft to, they know billion - fold about all the problems with Fallout 3, including the CTD issues :cold, yet do nothing about them). Just in case you expect everything to be well on a new slim and it freezes on ya. :)

infoxicated
24th July 2010, 09:03 PM
My PC isn't up to playing Fallout 3 or New Vegas and really it's for work. If I'm on the PC I'm making stuff. My PS3 is where the games are at, although I'll hold off on New Vegas until I've got an understanding of what sort of state they've released it in.

mdhay
24th July 2010, 09:16 PM
I'll be sure to make a thread soon after when it comes out.
Honestly, consoles had nowhere near as many bugs as the PC one, your PC can crash to desktop by saving your game. It's terrible :/

OBH
26th July 2010, 09:17 AM
strangely my 360 that ive only had for 2/3 months is continuously crashing this week.

something is very very wrong.

mdhay
26th July 2010, 10:52 AM
Yeah, it's lasted waay too long. ;) :P

KIGO1987
26th July 2010, 12:47 PM
I reckon the current model PS3 slims are going to have a massive price drop, and clearance. The 120GB and 250GB models. When the replacement 160GB and 320GB models come through maybe within a few months after theyve been released over in Japan. Maybe a few months down the track. Picking up a 120GB should be really really really cheap by for people who want to "future proof" (as SONY says) there investment for years to come, as the PS3 Slim apparently cannot YLOD.

carlos69nash
26th July 2010, 01:00 PM
If your warranty has expired then i strongly recommend fixing it yourself. Its very straight forward. There are a few videos on youtube that will help for a 60G...however the 60G and the 40G differ slightly around the motherboard mountings. I spent £10 on a heat/hot air gun and £2.50 on thermal compund yet you will also need a philps screwdriver, a T10 torx and some common sense. Good luck if you go for it :)

Rapier Racer
26th July 2010, 01:16 PM
....as the PS3 Slim apparently cannot YLOD.

Why not? Did they pull a Micorsoft and remove the lights ability to turn yellow like they removed the rings ability to turn red on the newer consoles? lool they can still die tho instead of RRoD its now the red eye of death.

carlos69nash
26th July 2010, 01:26 PM
Who comes up with these names?? Red eye of death?? Is it the same fault as the YLOD?

KIGO1987
26th July 2010, 02:48 PM
Why not? Did they pull a Micorsoft and remove the lights ability to turn yellow like they removed the rings ability to turn red on the newer consoles? lool they can still die tho instead of RRoD its now the red eye of death.

haha lol. Possibly. The slim has only been out for just a year now. So long term users of the PS3 Slim havent been around long enough like the PS3 fats, like Haydn and I own. I dont really like the Slim at all. So im unsure whether to get a slim. Im not entirely sure the difference with the internals over the Slim to the Fat. Would be interesting if they just removed the yellow light out of it.

Aeroracer
26th July 2010, 03:05 PM
R.I.P ps3

maybe you should claim on the house insurance say you droped it or something..depends on your policy and your cover perhaps..

KIGO1987
26th July 2010, 03:56 PM
Lol Jasmin im tempted to do that. But there would be the insurance excess involved, followed by a general hike in insurance fee. :P

ACE-FLO
31st July 2010, 02:02 PM
For the record, Kigos' PS3 died again ... GET A SLIM, if you reading this mate :)

Aeroracer
31st July 2010, 02:12 PM
I use my brothers ps3 its ancient.one of the original ones.nothing has gone wrong with it...i think a lot of ps3,s go wrong due to hot counrtys but i might just be lucky

ProblemSolver
31st July 2010, 03:41 PM
@ACE-FLO: I though he would make it till Christmas. Well.... xD

Didn't he said that he got one month of guaranty?

Lance
31st July 2010, 06:46 PM
This is not a message center for banned members.

DeepMix
1st August 2010, 04:51 AM
sorry to hear that :( a lot of old ps3 models are dying nowdays including mine who died a few months ago, currently using a slim model which im really glad with it, besides the bad looking design its really quiet and it works well :)

get a slim thats the true solution lol repairing wont do anything..

mdhay
1st August 2010, 11:33 AM
Lance, maybe Ace was also saying it to make a point that repairs are unreliable?

UB3R~JKP
1st August 2010, 12:57 PM

Where's your proof Lance, maybe he was just putting him bit in, no need to be so uptight and pricklike

infoxicated
1st August 2010, 12:59 PM
Back on topic or thread locked - the choice is yours.

OBH
3rd September 2010, 04:59 PM
My 360's back, hopefully ps3 is on the horizon too ;)
this'll be my....... 4th homecoming i think :beer

JJPAP
3rd September 2010, 06:22 PM
OBH, didn´t your mother tell you to treat material things w/ some kind of respect?
4 innocent boxes! I can´t believe it - hope you treat your brother (although his not a 100% material) better than this!
Behave - or pay the doughs.
Had a terrific day - reading ´bout your self-indulgent violence ruined it :frown:

:D :lol :D

OBH
4th September 2010, 02:09 PM
Aww, give me some credit....

...its only 3 boxes! :beer

Glad I brightened your day though my friend!! I love sharing the sunshine :g

UB3R~JKP
5th September 2010, 10:04 AM
I'm SERIOUSLY scared about my console going....after all GT5 is actually coming out so it would be a perfect troll attempt on Sony's behalf. :(

DJ Techno
7th September 2010, 03:33 AM
For the record, Kigos' PS3 died again ... GET A SLIM, if you reading this mate :)

My Pakistan friend has that.
And its backwards compatible too

But he's having problems with a game telling him a code
For why he can't play the game n do a new save file.

The code keeps saying cannot play needs to had at least 3GB of room for the HDD.

He has over 100gb in memory free. Why give this code error.

The game he is playing is Smakedown vs Raw 2008.

Asayyeah
12th September 2010, 09:45 PM
Bad luck here.
Still no YLOD on my ps3 from Jul08
but
I got Killzone disk who can't come out from the ps3...
I can't read it and got the 3 beeps when pressing the 'out' button.
Hopefully it's still under garantee (i paid for that)
Will see how thing goes tomorrow.
:(

OBH
13th September 2010, 08:00 AM
oh dear. if its beeping 3 times all the time it could be on its last legs.

Asayyeah
16th September 2010, 03:16 PM
All the papers insurance requested has been sent on monday and still waiting for my 'voucher' sent through email (maxi 10 days they said) but good thing is i ll have a brand new ps3 (probably a slim) without waiting too much.
The funny thing is i can still use my ps3 normally that's why i made a complete backup of what is stored into it (i know i will have to dl again the extra contents of few of my games) => 56gb on a fat32 HDD.
I also can play Killzone2 ! but everytime i wannt to pull off the disk it beeps.

I got the gameshop on the phone(where i purchased mine and where i ll have to drop it to exchange for a new one), manager told me it's a great insurance : with the new ps3 (slim 120gb) the 3rd year of insurance is not lost (mine is 2 years old) and will be added to the new ps3 (that means 2 years for free:cool: ) + 1 extra year if i want for 24 euros. I can also get the new slim 320gb + playstaition move included by adding only ...50 euros (not even the price of the move itself!)
btw the garantee costed me 40 euros 2 years ago (10% of the ps3 price)