PDA

View Full Version : Whats lagging? My TV or my PS3???

OBH
8th July 2010, 06:07 PM
Im starting to get quite annoyed with the persistent lag I have while playing almost any ps3 game.

I have a 1080p HDTV, all the various ps3 display options are compatible (full colours, cross colour reduction, super white hdmi etc), except when i have all these turned on graphically intense games start to lag, and some lag a huge, huge amount.

If i turn all these things off it almost completely stops, though i spent a fair bit of money on my ps3 (and am a stubborn b*stard :beer) so i refuse to turn them off.

If anyone has anything to say on this id love to hear it, cant find anything useful in the wide world of the interweb.

ACE-FLO
8th July 2010, 06:13 PM
change your TV's picture settings to GAME mode. :g

KIGO1987
8th July 2010, 06:23 PM
What tv do you have Haydn? some tvs offer really shitty lag, while some (Sony Bravia's) offer next to no lag.

OBH
8th July 2010, 06:25 PM
TVs some one id never heard of before, remember being hugely surprised to find out it was 1080p. Ill let you know.

What do you mean GAME mode ACE? You talking about the picture setup, if so the pre set picture set ups are garbage.

Darkdrium777
8th July 2010, 06:27 PM
Yes the post-processing by the TV sometimes is enough to make it lag.
If you do not have a Full HD TV and send a signal to it in 1080p, sometimes the conversion to 720p by the TV to display it in it's native resolution is enough to cause this lag. While watching TV you'd never notice, but during games you will.

Try turning off post-processing like MotionFlow (120Hz image processing, if you don't send 120Hz the TV processes the rest to get 120Hz and it can introduce lag), colour correction, etc. on the TV (If you have a Game mode that will do that) and sending a signal in the native resolution of your TV

amplificated
8th July 2010, 06:28 PM
I've heard cross-colour reduction is undesirable. Also, if scenes are too dark too often for you, turn off RGB Full - colours look better but blacks are horribly crushed with it being on.

Usually the TV will be at fault though; it's called input lag. Turn on game mode, disable motion enhancement and cinema drive type processes if they're on. They tax the TV's processing engine and don't enhance gaming.

OBH
8th July 2010, 06:31 PM
Ill check my tv settings, cheers for the replies.

Really dont want to turn off full rgb colour on my ps3, i hate to get caught up with aesthetics but games look shocking when its turned off.

AG-wolf
9th July 2010, 02:51 AM
PS3:
1080p
full-range RGB (super white, whatever the f*ck sony calls it)

Cross-Color blahblahblah is only worth using if you're on Composite SD cables.

TV:
See if there's a "game mode"
make sure there's no picture cropping... different TVs call it different things, Wide Fit, 16:9, Just Fit, Dot-By-Dot... you want it so that the TV isn't stretching/shrinking the image at all...
TURN OFF:
Noise reduction
auto-contrast
"fine motion" / cinemotion / 120hz / insert-useless-marketing-buzzword-here

What brand TV do you have?

blackwiggle
9th July 2010, 03:56 AM
It's not just the TV PS3 connection between the two, although I will agree this can have a significant bearing on this performance aspect.
I've noticed that something fundamental has changed, and keeps changing slightly over the last 3 system updates, what that is I don't know, but it's has a detrimental effect on the PS3's graphic performance when things get busy.
My settings remain the same, so nothing has changed by me altering outputs.

I first noticed it when playing FFXIII, over the basically 2 month period I was playing till I platinumed it we had 2 system updates.

All was fine, then things first started to tear a little bit after the first update, and the frame rate seemed to drop/judder when things in game got really hectic, not a huge amount, but noticeable.

Then after the second system update these artifacts got a lot more prevalent, and thing could really slow down, control input was slow and caused me to die on several occasions, I even had the console freeze on me during a long battle which was not taken too well.:bomb.

I thought it might of been because FFXII can be graphic intensive, but the same thing has been happening while I've been playing the 1 year old Infamous, and that not as hugely a graphic intensive game as FFXIII.
Pressing controls and not have things work or have them eventually work way after you inputted them that it's too late
I've had the console freeze on me 3 times.

The only times before this that my console has EVER frozen have been while getting stuffed about while in the wipeout online menu boards/ start of race disconnection dance.

Maybe it's got something to do with this Cinavia DRM that got installed a few updates ago, who knows what it's asking/checking for and how often?
If you see the way it operates then you might come to the same conclusion.
That's the only real thing that has changed over the last few updates apart from the removal of 2nd OS ability.

ProblemSolver
9th July 2010, 05:32 AM
Lag? Man, you're getting old. Get used to it! :P

blackwiggle
9th July 2010, 06:37 AM
If you ever want to see how bad lag in a game can get, try playing a multiplayer LBP level online during school holidays or a holiday weekend when the server is getting smashed.
It gives the term lag a whole new reference level, everything else pales into insignificance, totally unplayable.

OBH
9th July 2010, 07:33 AM
Besides standard picture settings and audio EQ my TV has no settings of any kind..