PDA

View Full Version : Oh noes!!!!!! YLOD

KIGO1987
8th July 2010, 11:44 AM
****ing **** PS3 just froze on me while scrolling to select my ship in WOHD. Bitch made this beeping noise. Red light was flashing alot. Turn the back off, then back on again. ****ing bastard YLOD came on.

Now how the **** do i fix it. How much will it cost, and how long will it take for this to get fixed?

Majorly ****ed off right now

:brickwall :brickwall :brickwall :brickwall :brickwall :brickwall :brickwall :brickwall

ACE-FLO
8th July 2010, 11:57 AM
Oh schitt :(

The only thing I can think of to do (and I would do this) is to take your PS3 to a Sony Service Centre, or Sony Store - with a grimm reaper look on ya face, and a law book tucked frimly under your armpit ;)

Damn, all this with Avalon coming up too :(

mdhay
8th July 2010, 12:07 PM
Christ, there isn't really much you can do about it apart from what Ace has said. Hope for the best?

KIGO1987
8th July 2010, 12:10 PM
Mongrel ****ing bastard **** of a console. Yesterday i was going to do a system restore on it after putting some new music on it!!!! **** **** **** **** **** of a console. Out of all the times. Why now. Christ almighty. Going to miss Avalon at this rate unless there is someone else in Perth (****ing doubt it) that will be racing this coming Avalon. This is beyond all levels of ****ing bullshit.

Probably going to take a month to get it to be transported to Sydney, a month for the tossers there to masturbate, do nothing, wank so more, do some more nothing, leave me a phone call while im driving or on the crapper, i try to call them back, missed them by 5minutes since Sydney is two hours ahead at me, and there service center shuts at 2:30pm my time, wait for the next working week, talk to some tosser who cant speak english, get my PS3 back after GT5 gets released, the console is some downgraded shitheap that wasnt what i sent over there since the dodgy bastards tried to cut corners. Bulllllshit. (just waiting for AG-Wolf to come on this thread now).

Well Blackwiggle had the same situation 6months ago, so im going to ask him what to do and all. Really really really really am extremely pissed off atm.

ACE-FLO
8th July 2010, 12:12 PM
what does YLOD stand for anyway? :?

KIGO1987
8th July 2010, 12:17 PM
Yellow Light Of ****ing death

Minus the ****ing part of course.

got a bloody $1500 car service bill as well due. Im ****ed. Im going to have to go for a second job or something to get the money pissing in faster. Oh bloody helll

I hope i can take the HDD out of this console and transport it to another one. Please tell me guys that is possible or im going to go incredible Hulk very soon.

mdhay
8th July 2010, 12:23 PM
Yes it is.

KGB
8th July 2010, 12:34 PM
I could be wrong KIGO but if you put a HDD in another PS3 it will have to format it and so wipe everything on it! Someone tell me I'm wrong please.

ACE-FLO
8th July 2010, 12:38 PM
I still say go down to a Sony centre... it's ya best bet! ;)

I read your VM on my page, I'll respond here :

Downgraded? I doubt it - unless you mean backwards compatibility :D who needs that? PS3 is far better than the PS2 and the games of PS2 are so last generation, my patience wears thin and I start craving the Hi-Def resolution and stunning dynamics of HD-Fury...

That said, all I can say is they'll probably offer you a 120gb Console, if not - then the 250gb one... either way, it's an upgrade to your lower memory version. And it does mean you walk away with something you can play online with. Truth be told, its either that or a radiator - take your pick :?

KIGO1987
8th July 2010, 12:38 PM
I hope to **** that isnt true KGB. And i hope your right mdhay. Ive got the entire Tiesto Discography on the HDD!!!!! dont want to lose it at all!

****ing more bullshit. ****ing Blur is stuck in the BluRay drive and the bastard console isnt letting me eject the disc. How do i get the game out? Advice right now is greatly appreciated.

mdhay
8th July 2010, 12:41 PM
Hook it up to your computer and back it up, in case I am wrong?

KIGO1987
8th July 2010, 12:52 PM
How do i hook up the PS3 internal HDD to a computer? i wouldnt have a clue. Ive just taken the internal HDD out of the PS3. If im going to send it to the tossers out east i want to one, send them the console with a HDD i havent used since 2008 the original 60GB HDD that came with the console, and two i want to get this ****ing Blur game out of the disc tray.

@Ace, if they are going to replace my old school PS3 with a downgraded current gen Slim, they better offer me a credit refund of the price difference from what i paid for the 60GB ($999) to the based model Slim ($499). Or they can honestly get ****ed!

Right back to this jammed disc. How do i get it out???

yeldar2097
8th July 2010, 01:01 PM
Aside from holding the eject button for 10-15 seconds you could try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HOMqYeU4pk

No idea if it works but it's a start.

mdhay
8th July 2010, 01:01 PM
Nevermind, your best bet would be to keep hold of the hard drive, as for the disc, you can't open it up or they won't replace it, iirc. It might even be that the hard drive is corrupt, so you if that was the case you'd have to reformat it anyway. :/

ACE-FLO
8th July 2010, 01:04 PM
Oh dear - if you've opened your PS3, then you've lost any right to having it replaced / fixed... Looks like you only have one choice left. To fix it man :?

mdhay
8th July 2010, 01:07 PM
Ace, taking out the HDD doesn't count as opening it up - there's a slot on the side. ;)

KIGO1987
8th July 2010, 01:10 PM
Nevermind

Tell me what you want to say, not half way

your best bet would be to keep hold of the hard drive, as for the disc, you can't open it up or they won't replace it/

Bit late now. Was watching this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNW1IK0Gyt4
, only to discover the ****ing screws have this immensely retarded configuration. Its like a Phillips head screw but different.

WHO HERE HAS TAKEN APART A PS3 CONSOLE BEFORE?

WHAT SCREW DRIVERS DO YOU NEED TO DO THIS?

ACE-FLO
Ace, taking out the HDD doesn't count as opening it up - there's a slot on the side. ;)

Really? LOL, I didin't know that :D :paperbag :eek :lol

KIGO1987
You telling me the folks at Sony wont accept it now since ive taken the void tag off now?

mdhay
8th July 2010, 01:12 PM
How long had you had it? If it's a launch model, (I'm assuming so), then it won't matter anyway.

ACE-FLO
8th July 2010, 01:14 PM
Yeah, something similiar happened to a mate a while back, and he opened the barge - then put it all back together. Then he went to a Sony Service Centre and they said "it has been opened - Sorry, we can't do anything" ... he was apeshit for a while. Man, I don't know what to say right now :(

KIGO1987
8th July 2010, 01:16 PM
Bought it on September 11th 2007. The one month manufactures warranty on it expired ages ago, i thought it wouldnt matter if i went into the console to get the disc out. Still cost the same to repair it wouldnt it????

Aside from holding the eject button for 10-15 seconds you could try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HOMqYeU4pk

No idea if it works but it's a start.

Tried it. Didnt work. My console is before that time.

ACE-FLO
8th July 2010, 01:20 PM
A one month warranty? Mine came with a years manufacturers warranty... and you paid $999 AUS??? I hope you took out an insurance policy with that, an extensive one man. Coz if you did, that could come in quite handy, right NOW!!!

Please don't tell me you didn't insure it Kieran :?

EDIT: is it possible for Kigo to take his PS3 to a friends who has a PS3 too, and do something like wipe Kigos HDD and copy his friends one onto it? Though it would mean Kigo losing all his data on his HDD, atleast he'd have a working PS3? I'm thinking of a back up from one PS3 to another... it is possible from what I understand, but how to do??? Help???

yeldar2097
WHO HERE HAS TAKEN APART A PS3 CONSOLE BEFORE?

WHAT SCREW DRIVERS DO YOU NEED TO DO THIS?

Guilty. Took it apart to replace the laser a while back. 8)

I think the ones you need are Torx screwdrivers, the ones with the funky 6-point head.

mdhay
Yeah, it'll cost the same.

KIGO1987
8th July 2010, 01:25 PM
Good to hear there mdhay. Still im going to have to sell one of my kidneys to pay it off though.

Guilty. Took it apart to replace the laser a while back. 8)

Ok now i dont feel as bad..... i need one of Mosh's rollies right now bad.

I think the ones you need are Torx screwdrivers, the ones with the funky 6-point head.

Thanks big time for that, im going to Bunnings tomorrow to purchase one.

ACE-FLO
8th July 2010, 01:30 PM
Where's ProblemSolver?? bet he knows a thing or two :)

mdhay
8th July 2010, 01:30 PM
....EDIT: is it possible for Kigo to take his PS3 to a friends who has a PS3 too, and do something like wipe Kigos HDD and copy his friends one onto it? Though it would mean Kigo losing all his data on his HDD, atleast he'd have a working PS3? I'm thinking of a back up from one PS3 to another... it is possible from what I understand, but how to do??? Help???

The hard drive is encrypted to that specific PS3, so copying his friends data on there would make it unusable, which is why he needs to hope that he doesn't get a refurbushed unit back.

ACE-FLO
8th July 2010, 01:34 PM
Hold on, a refurbed unit given to him from Sony would be a good thing, coz they won't give you a facked product would they??? ... wait, who am I kidding :donut

KIGO1987
8th July 2010, 01:41 PM
****ed refurbished unit. I want the console back that i payed my hard earned money for. And i better be able to get my old console back, so i can put my old HDD in.

Instant death will be the resultant of the persons who intend to **** me over.

Im going to talk to Blackwiggle about all of this.

**** i dont even know how much all of this is going to cost as well too. Going to have to pay over credit as well since its some tosser in Sydney that is going to be fixing my unit.

mdhay
8th July 2010, 01:57 PM
Hold on, a refurbed unit given to him from Sony would be a good thing, coz they won't give you a facked product would they??? ... wait, who am I kidding :donut

He wouldn't be able to use anything except for trophies and store content if he did get one, so yeah.

Kieran, as far as I know, you have every right to ask them to, if they can, give you your PS3 back after service. If not, then they should at least compensate you in some other way than giving you an entirely new, practically useless unit.

ACE-FLO
8th July 2010, 02:04 PM
Kigo, take it back to a Sony service centre, in person. I honestly think its the best thing to do. And as Mdhay has said above me, they should be able to compensate you in some way...

EDIT: credit to Slimjim2097 who found this on the official PS3 blog : http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-General-Discussion/If-your-PS3-has-died-read-this-Sale-of-Goods-Act-Swap-your-PS3/td-p/9976820

Kigo ^ take heed, this is how to go about it mate :) I'm starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel man :)

KIGO1987
8th July 2010, 02:38 PM
Ill tell you what im going to do tomorrow, go to bunnings and get the TORX T10 screwdriver. get Blur out of the disc tray. after ive done that, that is number one problem out of the way. Next ill call the place where i bought the PS3 back in 2007, see who they would forward me onto about the console YLOD problem, if they forward me onto a bunch of tossers, ill leave it at that, and call the Sony Centre i worked for last year during the chrissy break, asked them the procedures that it will take to diagnose and fix the PS3. Im going to get a quote first before im sending it anywhere outside this city. Then the ball is out of my court and i have no control of it from there, im going to have to keep a hold of my reference number and chase up the process of my work job.

This seriously could not come at anymore ****ed up period of time. Ive got a car bill that is a bullshitley high figure and i might lose that mode of transportation very shortly, now the PS3 ****s up. A week before ****ing Avalon. This is beyond all levels of epic bullshit! This ranks a 9.5 out of 10 on the cunty meter. Sorry i had to bring that up but its dead true!

Unless there is someone else in this city that will be attending one of the Avalon day sessions, i cant attend this next event.... Can attend the Pulse session on infrastructure mode if it being hosted though when you think about it :) one positive thing out of a sea of deepshit.

Ace i really could do with one of your joints right now :(

Im dont really care about the trophys, i just want to be able to use my old school proper PS3 console with the 500GB HDD with the 200GB of media data ive put on it over the years.

KIGO1987
8th July 2010, 02:49 PM
EDIT: credit to Slimjim2097 who found this on the official PS3 blog : http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-General-Discussion/If-your-PS3-has-died-read-this-Sale-of-Goods-Act-Swap-your-PS3/td-p/9976820

Kigo ^ take heed, this is how to go about it mate :) I'm starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel man :)

Ive just had a read of that link Ace, thanks for it.

TBH i rather pay up to $300 to get my old PS3 CECHC02 back, fixed. so i can put my 500GB HDD in it and finish off the last of the 1,200,000 team loyalty points that i nearly ****ing finished! i just had a few more rounds to go with Piranha. ah what a joke! Just put a whole bunch of new music on the console HDD too, including Dave Pearce Trance anthems that i suggested to Danterich who i was talking to on the PSN earlier today. Last System backup i did was back in April, so i am going to lose alot of stuff. That isnt acceptable at all.

The PS3 Slim is a downgrade that i will never opt replacing my current console with. The slim was the answer to the bloody cuntbox360 price matching war. New generation PS3's with the same features as the old school PS3's would still be around if it wasnt for that. So if i was offered to get a PS3 slim replaced instead of my old one to be fixed. I would say no.

ProblemSolver
8th July 2010, 03:09 PM
@KIGO: Hmmm ... what should I say? Welcome to the club? xD
Am on my 3rd installment. lol But luv the PS3 anyways. :D

KGB
8th July 2010, 03:15 PM
Who can answer this then. If you took out your HDD and then put it back in the same PS3 would it still want to format again? If so you would still be screwed KIGO. You may have to buy a cradle for the HDD so you can connect it to your computer.

Like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sunwire-Enclosure-Laptop-Drive-VISTA/dp/B002RW42JY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1278602384&sr=8-3

KIGO1987
8th July 2010, 03:27 PM
I really would like to know that actually. Who help in the grief process of the possible loss of alot of PS3 data. I could come to my decision on what to do sooner. Still going to miss out on the next best avalon. God, i am so pissed atm!

@KIGO: Hmmm ... what should I say? Welcome to the club? xD
Am on my 3rd installment. lol But luv the PS3 anyways. :D

LOL, cheers there PS. Well i guess it was a matter of time, all the old PS3 60GB's where slowly doing this one after the other after a time span of 3years. Mine was due soon enough, just cut that Blur is stuck in the disc drive and the last system backup i did was in April, i said to myself when i put more music on it today i am going to do a backup Friday morning before i leave the house, oh the bloody pain and anger involved. I still love my PS3 too PS, ive owned it about the same life span as the laptops ive had, my Vista based laptops have crapped out 15times during the same time span, with HDD losses in ever time the stupid things would crap out all the time, in this period of time the PS3 has only done it once, so im still greatful its done it run over the other computers i use.

Dark_Phantom_89
8th July 2010, 03:37 PM
KIGO - Have a read of this. It may not get your PS3 working the way it was, but it should buy you enough time to back-up your HDD and get the Blur disc out. Also, take this time to clean out ALL of the dust from your PS3 - there's no harm in doing so now, and it could help.

Aidan's YLOD Self-Repair Guide (http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/tech-centre/36515-aidans-ylod-repair-guide.html)

ProblemSolver
8th July 2010, 04:01 PM
Well KIGO, if your data is important to you, then I would do what DP89
suggests. After my second PS3 died, I was able to operate it for about one
more minute each time I powered it back on. So I was able to save some more
data.

On the HDD issue.
There is no way one can copy the data from HDD while not being on the very
same PS3. The GameOS partition is encrypted and signed for the PS3 in
question after formatting. If you put it into a PC, you will only see a big
chunk of encrypted data. You won't even believe it, but also the firmware is
signed this way, meaning, you can't copy the bytes out of the NAND flash and
write them back onto another PS3's flash. It won't boot. However, the guys
at a Sony certified repair shop can do anything, they can copy HDDs, make
firmware downgrades, whatsoever. They do have a special PC software that is
connected to a Sony server. Every time a repair shop wants to do a critical
operation, they need to authenticate first. That is to say, Sony logs every
activity (and generates keys) a repair shop can do on a PS3. This way things
don't get out of hand. Nobody can steal a service PC and copy PS3 content at
will all of a sudden.

KGB
8th July 2010, 04:12 PM
Well that's my idea knackered then :frown:

KIGO1987
8th July 2010, 04:20 PM
Thanks very much for the link DP had a good read of it, not sure ill be able to do it though, i remember talking to Deepmix about that earlier on this year. He didnt have that much luck.

@PS: one or two minutes at best wouldnt be near enough time for what i would be needing to do. What i would need would be to have at least 2 to 3hours of stable PS3 operating time to successfully transfer over all of my PS3 data onto a HDD. Last time i did a system back up it took 2hours and 20minutes. Best bet i have is to ask specifically for my old PS3 to be repaired and not be replaced with a new one. Ill send over my current PS3 to Sydney with the original 60GB HDD in it, i dont care much if the donkeys lose that HDD or stuff it up, ill just keep my 500GB here. and when (hopefully) get the old PS3 back, put the old 500GB HDD back in the same PS3, do a couple dozen hail mary's and see if the PS3 recognizes it. If it does. Ill be very delighted and swearing KIGO can transform back into happy pleasant KIGO.

Just so immensely cut this has happened one week before Avalon. Was going to enjoy having a chat with the folk a Gareth's pissup.

ProblemSolver
8th July 2010, 04:20 PM
@KGB1971:
And I do even think that a binary copy of the HDD won't do the trick either.
Each HDD has a serial number and I do believe that this number is used by
the PS3's formatting tool to encrypt the new a partition. That easy to do.

DreamyElf
8th July 2010, 04:35 PM
sorry to hear that mate...:(
you really should try the youtube video that Dark Phantom posted...
you dont have anything to lose right now.
ProblemSolver is correct, you cant transfer anything to a pc, only Sony service can do it, that's why they are charging a lot...
also even if they fix it, it wont last long and it will break again soon.
that is sadly a fact...
Sony will probably ask you an x amount of money to fix it and a bigger x amount if you want them to transfer your data to a new ps3 slim.

if you dont have money, you should try and convince(even threaten) Sony service that you'll switch to Microsoft and that you are extremely disappointed by their product,that you are a loyal Sony customer etc.(i hope you got my point)
many people got ps3 replacements and fixes for free after doing that.

everything i mentioned above are things and facts that i read on gametrailers forum and come from personal experiences from other users in your position...

anyway, good luck on everything you choose to do... :)

ProblemSolver
8th July 2010, 04:48 PM
... Ill send over my current PS3 to Sydney with the original 60GB HDD in it, i dont care much if the donkeys lose that HDD or stuff it up, ill just keep my 500GB here. and when (hopefully) get the old PS3 back, put the old 500GB HDD back in the same PS3, do a couple dozen hail mary's and see if the PS3 recognizes it. ...
It's very unlikely that this will work. Pre-firmware 2.40 it was possible this
way, but with firmware 2.40 parts of the operatig system are copied over to
the HDD. The firmware in flash and the parts of it on the HDD need to be "in
sync". If one takes out the HDD and plugs in another one, formatting it, and
putting back the old one, then I bet that the system will ask you to (re-)
format your old HDD.

You may as well sent your PS3 with the 500GB installed. If they are able to
repair your very PS3 without touching the firmware whatsoever, then everything
will work like before. But there is no guarantee (at least they won't give you
any). Anyway. If you sent your 500GB, I would write a little letter telling
that they should do anything to keep your data. But upon my experience they
aren't going to repair a YLOD PS3 anymore. They will just give you a new PS3
with one year warranty. But anyways, if you insist on your data, then someone
might actually copy your data over to the new PS3. This, somehow, depends on
the guy who does the job. Could be someone who knows about, or just someone
killing for a hand full of dollars. You never know. xD

Darkdrium777
8th July 2010, 04:56 PM
Hello KIGO. Sorry to hear about your console.
A while ago I favorited this video series (http://www.youtube.com/user/djwhetzel#p/c/435E2CA072A58596/0/4_Ic1_TY-GU). They could probably help you.
Otherwise, send your console in to Sony and ask for an HDD transfer if they can do that (I'm not sure they can.) You will have to pay 150$ or whatever they are charging in Australia. They should fix your console even if you took the sticker off because you are paying them.
Good luck either ways.

ProblemSolver
8th July 2010, 05:02 PM
Oh dear, Darkdrium777, welcome back mate! :)

KIGO1987
8th July 2010, 05:21 PM
It's very unlikely that this will work. Pre-firmware 2.40 it was possible this
way, but with firmware 2.40 parts of the operatig system are copied over to
the HDD. The firmware in flash and the parts of it on the HDD need to be "in
sync". If one takes out the HDD and plugs in another one, formatting it, and
putting back the old one, then I bet that the system will ask you to (re-)
format your old HDD.

You may as well sent your PS3 with the 500GB installed. If they are able to
repair your very PS3 without touching the firmware whatsoever, then everything
will work like before. But there is no guarantee (at least they won't give you
any). Anyway. If you sent your 500GB, I would write a little letter telling
that they should do anything to keep your data. But upon my experience they
aren't going to repair a YLOD PS3 anymore. They will just give you a new PS3
with one year warranty. But anyways, if you insist on your data, then someone
might actually copy your data over to the new PS3. This, somehow, depends on
the guy who does the job. Could be someone who knows about, or just someone
killing for a hand full of dollars. You never know. xD

Ok im royally ****ed. Seems like i have to go and play Russian Roulette and send the 500GB HDD with the PS3 anyway. Ill be on them like a road train taking out a roo at 120kmh. Im going to asked to continuously to backup the hard drive or the next flight out of Perth to Sydney ill be on to chase after them ;)

Hello KIGO. Sorry to hear about your console.
A while ago I favorited this video series (http://www.youtube.com/user/djwhetzel#p/c/435E2CA072A58596/0/4_Ic1_TY-GU). They could probably help you.
Otherwise, send your console in to Sony and ask for an HDD transfer if they can do that (I'm not sure they can.) You will have to pay 150$ or whatever they are charging in Australia. They should fix your console even if you took the sticker off because you are paying them.
Good luck either ways.

The balance restored. Yeah thanks for the condolences there Darkdrium. Having a PS3 YLOD on you is quite a ball breaking experience. mostly because you dont expect when the console is going to pull it off and crap out on you.

Yeah i pulled the void sticker off it 5mins too late. Ive still got Blur stuck in the disc drive and its irritating the crap out of me. Going to buy a TORX T10 screwdriver tomorrow to get that disc out of the console. I think i would of had to pay the same price anyway on the console since its way past its one year manufacture warranty on it.

ACE-FLO
8th July 2010, 05:49 PM
6 yrs mate, they'll fix it up to 6 years after you bought it :) Go to a Sony Centre...

That's right, read that playstation blog link in this thread I posted earlier, again... ;) Yah, I know you've opened it but it's worth trying anyway..., no ask, no get!

KIGO1987
8th July 2010, 06:01 PM
Ill talk with them, the folks know me at the store. Still i want to get that disc out. If i left it in, and didnt take the void sticker off, i beat the folks over there in Sydney would talk like there wasnt a disc left in the tray at all. Dont trust them forshit, dont trust alot of people tbh. I wish Blackwiggle got to my message sooner, since he had to get a disc out of his PS3 also. FF13 was in his PS3 when it crapped out on him. I think he got it out, took the void sticker off, and still sent it to the guys that fixes PS3 consoles in Australia. So not all is lost.

OBH
8th July 2010, 06:02 PM
Cost me £120 to fix mine (wish i got the extended warrenty for £5 a month too but they no longer do that in the uk).

On the plus side, 2 days later someone turns up at your house to take the broken one and hands you another.

YLOD can mean a lot of things though, mine meant a totally ruined processor due to lack of ventilation, annoyingly it also meant i couldnt remove the hard drive, so yeah, all saved games were gone.

edit:
Not sure what sony stores are like in the rest of the world, but the world in my town is next to useless and just say "phone sony"... but you are sony you stupid mo........ fine, whatever you say.

KIGO1987
8th July 2010, 06:19 PM
Game Traders offered no warranty at all when i purchased the PS3, since i was thinking how my launch era PS2 DVD lazer crapped out on me, i asked about it, they didnt offer any warranty at all. Not too many other places too. So i just bought it anyway. Ive worked in alot of retail joints over time and have discovered that most store warranty are nothing like the manufacturer's warranty the official product bran offers. So i dont bother most of the time because you still have to pay a fee at the end of the day anyway.

Kay, 5hours to the eastern states call center opens before i can talk to someone.

What do you guys think. Just talk straight to Sony first or talk to the store i bought it off first?

OBH
8th July 2010, 06:26 PM
Always the store first if you can mate :beer
If you have a receipt your laughing, not sure what it is over there, but here its something like any electrical goods can be returned within 2 years by law.

More i think about it, maybe its just one year... but try speaking to the store anyway :g

ACE-FLO
8th July 2010, 06:26 PM
talk to Sony... are there no Sony Centers Perth? I'd just go in person... demand justice so to speak... Phonecalls suck :?

EDIT: I woulda said go to the store first, but its been mnore than 3 yrs mate :? Oh, and another thing Kigo, that guy in the playstation blog made some good points in his letter to Sony, I'd get a print out of that if I were you ;) make your case real strong, get me?

RedScar
8th July 2010, 06:32 PM
Cost me $150 CAN when my BD player died inside mine. Hopefully they can get it fixed, but as for the disc inside the drive I know that when I filled out the "wtf is wrong with it" sheet it had a spot for that. As long as you show that on the invoice they should be legally required to provide you with that disc or a replacement of it. I asked this when I was talking on the phone to sony and they guy made it extremely clear of this. Of course this is here in Canada, somehow stuff could be different in Australia.

OBH
8th July 2010, 06:36 PM
Sony centers arent information centers, they just sell the stuff.
All they'll do is give you a phone number.... thats assuming theyre as useless as the one here.

KIGO1987
8th July 2010, 06:39 PM
Yeah i still have the receipt Haydn. Your talking to someone who has a small dosage of OCD. ive kept receipts on some of my old PS1 games too from the 1990's lol! Here in Australia there is the consumer watchdog, or if that goes all to crap you can go on Today Tonight or A Current Affair and have a quality bitch about everything to the Nation. A bit like our ranga red pubes Prime Minister we have now got here last night. Fair dinkum she is straight from the Ghetto of Adelaide that girl :p

Ace im running on autopilot atm, my fingers are typing and doing posts by my brain shut off to hibernation about a couple of hours ago. Im going to take a real good read of it. Its the only way i COULD attend the next Avalon, surrender my old PS3 for a new one, still dont want to do that tbh. God im thinking what is still on the PS3 that i was never able to get off the console.

Believe me Ace ill make my case. ;)

ACE-FLO
8th July 2010, 08:18 PM
I know you will mate :)

As for your TIESTO archive... you DL'd it once, you can do it again bud. Just think, a PS3 that's good for another 3 yrs eh? :) See you this Avalon Aftermath bud... damn this crap that happened to ya :(

zones
8th July 2010, 09:33 PM
Follow the yellow brick road...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U70SgRDVcBo

http://playstationlifestyle.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2376

As its expensive to get Sony to fix it and independent console repair are hard to find, your best bet is to wiki 'YLOD' and follow the guide above.

After all mate, uve got a giant paper-weight otherwise.

Good luck:P

boo4ever
8th July 2010, 11:14 PM
KIGO, I feel your pain. I got the YLOD this week as well. And of course I had not backed anything up. It seems you have discovered everything I did. I am thinking of trying the fix myself this weekend. Hope all goes well for you.

blackwiggle
9th July 2010, 02:56 AM
I just read about your YLOD and sent you details of your 3 options Kigo.

Yeah, it's a bummer all right having just gone through the same, but at least mine is still under extended warranty.

Your large HD is tied to YOUR particular PS3 and cannot be read by another console or a PC, I think you will find that if you were to put your original 60G HD back into the console that it wouldn't be able to be read either as there will be a HD/MB clock miss match, they are unable to be read after a certain period of time has elapsed, sort of treated like a HD from another console.

The stuck disc is stuck, don't try and get it out, only the newer PS3's have the emergency disc eject.
I have read enough horror stories at the Aus/NZ Playstation forum about people stripping screw heads and or threads and left with a stuffed console, and the disc still in it, Ebay has heaps of these.
If you choose to ring Sony Service, they will ask you what is wrong with your console and for your email address, then they send you a email with a PDF console repair form which you print out, this has a barcode on it which you take to the post office and they give you some bubblewrap and box and send it off the Sony, your console would of been booked in when you rang.
There is a section on the PDF which you fill in to say if you have a disc stuck in the console and what it is.
If your in warranty this costs nothing, out of warranty Aus $250...OUCH!

The other main option is to find a independent game console repair place in your area [there are heaps in Sydney], these are a lot cheaper than Sony, plus they won't wipe your HD .
If they have to change the MB your HD won't be able to be read though, them the breaks.
You are also trusting them with all your CC, email & password details, it's up to you.

EASY PEASY: Here's a console repair place in Perth, fixes PS3 YLOD from Aus$40
http://members.iinet.net.au/~modking/repairs.html

Kyonshi
9th July 2010, 03:48 AM
Hey Kieran, deeply sorry for that unfortunate event :( But that link Blackwiggle provided seems to be some quite reassuring solution! :)

Gonna share the pain with ya, check this out... On Sept. 28th 2008, WipEout HD was launched in America. I d/l it, and starts playing it. ****ing amazed i was, completely tilted off. After one hour, i call my buddy to give my impressions and as im talking to him, yeeees you know what... Thing is, i NEVER had the YLOD. Never happened. The PS3 just shut down, and nothing else happened. I smelled burned plastic from the console... The ****ing power supply popped, without any warning. ON THE WIPEOUT HD LAUNCH DAY.

I completely went off. Why Ô WHY did this crap happened on this very moment, while playing my all-time favorite racing game with astounding graphics and custom soundtrack?!??! WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY??? Dunno about you man, but went i die, i'm gonna have a deep and mother****ing serious chat with God to clear this off!:lol At this day im convinced i was struck with a deliberate curse/hex of some kind by fate or any kind of entity it may be. But if that's really the case, this ****ing bitch of entity is better never search for me again or i'll desintegrate it into the nearest parallel plan.

People will label me freaking excessive, but i grabbed my newly-cleared cred card and went to buy another PS3, re-d/l the game and played the whole evening until 2am (i start working at 8h30). Took a lot of my cash out in a second, but I never regretted it! :D

KIGO1987
9th July 2010, 08:05 AM
Taken apart the console, had to take two trips to Bunnings to get the right screwdriver's including a precision kit and the T10 size Torx Screwdrive just to get the console open. Good news, ive got Blur out of the BD drive, i had to spray some WD40 on the tight screws to get them out to access the BD drive, but Blur is free now,

so one problem out of the way, im going to give the console a good clean now. Its got that much dust in it its incredible. Maybe if i vacuum all the dust nshit out of the console levels then maybe it might allow me to turn it on to get some stuff off the HDD.

I think someone posted here on this forum not so long ago that all the old PS3's where slowly doing this after a 2 to 3year period of owning the console old launch 60GB models. Mine was simply next in line. Its survived 3 Australian summers of 45C/115F plus degree heat so the console has done me well, just need to get my stuff off the bloody HDD and i will chill out a bit, i remember i just organized all my Ministry of Sound stash on the HDD about a month ago, that took bloody ages.

Just gave the guy that Blackwiggle suggested as well as a few other folk across this sleepy city a call seems ive got a $25 quote fee along with a maximum fee of $99 to fix to console, doubt that is true. Im going to vacuum every nook and cranny in the console bay levels first before i send it off, i want to try a few things first.

But tbh is it better for me just to get the console sent to Sydney to get checked out by some official Sony folks or risk its getting frigged around by an unauthorized repair place. What do you guys thing??

Going to have another watch of these YouTube videos so i can take apart the console properly without causing any major****ups.

OBH
9th July 2010, 08:19 AM
My ps3 needs cleaning, though im terrified about taking it apart :beer

blackwiggle
9th July 2010, 10:35 AM
There is a hidden fan test feature on the PS3, it's different depending which console you have, those who have used it say it blows all sorts of crap out of their consoles which would save pulling it apart to do, but then again others warn against doing it saying even briefly overheating the PS3 causes damage, I don't know if a few seconds will hurt.
Here's the way to do it for the 60G model.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcHJzhzUCYk

Why would Sony have to send the console all the way to Sydney?
Surely they have a console repair place in Perth.
If that's your only option for an official Sony repair well I'd say forget it.
FACT:Since it's out of warranty they are going to slug you big time to repair it anyway.
FACT:Also since it is out of warranty they are under no obligation to fix that console if they say they can't [they are saving parts for the original 60G model so they can honour existing warranties], this is the typical scenario that ends up with you being offered a refurbished Frankenstation from Sony, and if it's over 2000Km away WTF are you going to do?, it's not as if you can drive around and pick it up, they have you over a barrel.
FACT:If you say to Sony I want my original console back even if you can't fix it, not a refurbished unit, they will still take a month and still charge you and you will still have a stuffed PS3. Lose Lose Lose situation
You don't want that, so why put yourself in the situation where you know that is the likely outcome.
Just ring around and get all the quotes and info you can from the different repair centers, the quote you got today [max $99] sounds about right from what I've read at the Aus/NZ Playsation forum.
Just make it understood that.
1] You want THAT console fixed or nothing
2] That you would really like it if they did NOT wipe the HD.
I'll ask Harleiquiine one of the Beta trial guys at the PS forum, I'm pretty sure he's in your neck of the woods, what he doesn't know about this sort of situation isn't worth knowing.

KIGO1987
9th July 2010, 03:26 PM
Is Harleiquiine a Perth guy? Damn i had him on my PSN friends list back in 2008, damn i could of used his advice more often. Could you do me a favor and ask him what is the best thing to do by his experiences, and places here in Perth he could suggest for me to go over other places. Cheers.

Im prob going to go to this place south of the river now that you recommended me. Ill go by there soon as it opens tomorrow to avoid the little screamingshits and the stupid mums driving there big 4WDs stupidly all over the road since the pesky littleshits are now on school holidays now.

When i see them, im going to pay the $25 quote fee first. See the problem identified first. Then when i got some extra cash on me (if the repair fee the full $99 if not ill do it sooner than later) get the console fixed. The highest priority is to get all the HDD content off and backed up, any other option isnt acceptable at all. Once its backed up and restored and repaired. and ive got the 60GB console back and its working again (given if everything is goes well). I will purchase a base model PS3 Slim in due time, and use that, since i know the ventilation on those units are more well suited to the Australian summer compared to the old consoles.

Just be really really careful in there Haydn. Dont do what i did, put the PS3 back together looking at the table and discovering there is one screw just laying there on the table that forgot to be put in somewhere. Think its for the Flash card readers so no big loss.

Haydn i did what is in that link Blackwiggle provided at the start of the year, be really careful, i did it during the heat of summer, the console was extremely hot while doing it. Might be a contributing factor why my PS3 is stuffed now, possibly. Console will burn your palms.

----

Just a thanks to everyone on this thread who posted to help me out here. I really appreciate it ProblemSolver, Darkdrium777 (great to see you back), ZoNeS, Blackwiggle, Haydn, KGB, DP, Yeldar, mdhay, Ace. Really do appreciate your words of advice.

yeldar2097
9th July 2010, 04:01 PM
Good stuff Kieran, nice to see Bleh safe and sound :)

I can do it when you bring it to my house if you like, I got all the necessary gubbinz :P

KGB
9th July 2010, 05:15 PM
I may be in the same boat soon, I have a loser 40gig model ;), the fan seems to be kicking in more and more often these days, usually when I'm watching a film which is extremely off-putting as it is louder than the film volume usually. If/when it goes, I think I'll sit there for a moment in quiet contemplation before throwing it through the window 8).

KIGO1987
10th July 2010, 01:42 AM
i was tempted to throw it out the window at one point when putting the console back together yesterday.

I sheared the plastic for that stupid torx screw hole. Spent 20mins trying to get that one bastard screw in, so i had a little fit and stabbed the crap out of the hole with the screw driver to get the screw in since it wasnt staying in there. Lid of the PS3 is being hold together with electric tap now....

Just want to get all my data off the PS3 HDD, so i can all my contents onto another PS3. I think it might be the best to get a entry level price Slim and pop my HDD into that (after getting the data all of it first).

ACE-FLO
10th July 2010, 03:51 PM
I got a slim, 120gb, and was going through the XMB after reading your post above, Kigo - because I think you can get all your data - and I mean all your data off your PS3, onto a Slim one. Let's see what DarkDrium777 or ProblemSolver can make of this - they'd know better than I would.

Pic attached. Needs to be rotated to the left 90degrees, coz I took the pic with my crap phone lol.

Darkdrium777
10th July 2010, 04:16 PM
Okay that is definitely awesome. Yes you can definitely use that KIGO if you get your old PS3 to start again.

KIGO1987
10th July 2010, 04:42 PM
I dropped the PS3 off today, going to take 3weeks for the folks there to look at it, then phone me. Should find out soon enough in due time how much it is going to cost altogether and if its repairable and if i can get the contents off the PS3 HDD.

I got a slim, 120gb, and was going through the XMB after reading your post above, Kigo - because I think you can get all your data - and I mean all your data off your PS3, onto a Slim one. Let's see what DarkDrium777 or ProblemSolver can make of this - they'd know better than I would.

Ive had a good look at this picture Ace has provided. I am not sure how this works. Have anyone used this feature on a PS3 Slim before? If this works with an existing PS3 HDD from another console, i might try this. But it would be wise to get advice and responses from other people who have tried this before.

Thanks for the pic Ace.

rdmx
10th July 2010, 05:46 PM
I wouldn't get your hopes up, I think both PS3s need to be fully functioning for it to work
http://au.playstation.com/ps3/support/network/detail/item250046/Use-the-data-transfer-utility/
You connect two working ps3s with an ethernet cable

blackwiggle
11th July 2010, 01:01 AM
Connecting the 2 PS3's and using the new transfer contents is your only option.
You said again in another recent post that you intend to take HD out of the old and put it in the new.
IT WILL NOT WORK, forget it.

The problem you are going to have with transferring your entire contents this way is if the total contents of your original HD in Gigs, is larger than the capacity of the HD in the new PS3.
Which old PS3 = 500G HD and new slim = 120g is going to be you problem.

So presuming that you do get the old PS3 up and working and you still want to buy a new slim and transfer your contents, you'd be best served by backing up the old first, then deleting enough content so it is small enough to fit on the new smaller drive when you transfer, remember to leave some empty space on it or it will almost certainly crash, or at least run incredibly slowly.

Another option MIGHT BE [I'm not sure if you can use a backup from one PS3 and then put it on another], back up the old drive completely, take it out of the old console and put it straight into the new slim, then reformat the old drive once it's inside the slim, then reinstall everything from the backup.
Which will hopefully bring you back to where you were pre YLOD.

KIGO1987
11th July 2010, 05:31 AM
I wouldn't get your hopes up, I think both PS3s need to be fully functioning for it to work
http://au.playstation.com/ps3/support/network/detail/item250046/Use-the-data-transfer-utility/
You connect two working ps3s with an ethernet cable

Was thinking is was going to be a transfer over LAN/ethernet. Too much tape involved in that option, prone to major fuk ups, if one minute thing goes wrong. A bit of risk involved there. But first i would need my console to function properly and all, before considering taking this option.

@blackwiggle. My best bet, and only way probably is to get the old console to function again then to do a system back up on the HDD, given i can get the console to function and operate properly for a good 2hours and 30minutes to allow the successful backup of all the data on the existing 500GB HDD.

The last system backup i did on the 13th of April this year says the entire data size worth of data backed up totals 103GB in total. But with formating sizes and all this wouldnt fit on a 120GB PS3 Slim, but a 250GB Slim, or possibly one of the new 160GB or 320GB slims that will be available on the market at the end of this month. This link posted a week ago shows the newer consoles coming out:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/white-ps3-slim-out-in-japan-this-month

If everthing goes right, this is what i want to do:

1. get the console back, hopefully it is functioning well enough to do a system backup
2. do a system backup from the 500GB HDD if the console allows me to operate it normally for a good 3hours onto an external HDD unit.
3. get a PS3 slim when i have the funds
4. put the 500GB HDD into the slim from the old console
5. format that 500GB HDD so it is clear on the slim
6. system restore the contents over from the external HDD
7. hopefully ive got everything back

i just have to get my old console back with it functioning properly again, even just for a period of 3hours. Anything less is just not acceptable.

I dont really like the option Ace showed me on the link with the picture, i looks like its going to do a half arsed job of transferring my data over. Im going to go with the method ive been doing for the past years. System backup followed by system format, then system restore, all with with my PS3 contents safe and sound on an external HDD unit.

blackwiggle
11th July 2010, 06:47 AM
The big "IF" is if you can back up data that's come from one PS3, and then transfer it onto a new PS3.
Which when you strip things right down is what you want to do.
I have a horrible feeling the "IF" will turn into a "NO".

The back up from the old PS3 will be tied to that PS3, there will be some sort of Sony coding going on that does it, the same way that it ties the HD to the one console so it can't be straight swapped into another PS3
If it didn't do this then it would basically allow people to give each other games by letting them copy them from a friends back up that's on a removable drive.

So your only alternative is to use the Ethernet cable between the two PS3's and use the transfer software.

At least you have 3 weeks preparation on your plans of attack, which are pretty limited truth be known.

KIGO1987
11th July 2010, 08:07 AM
Seriously dont tell me that.

The back up from the old PS3 will be tied to that PS3, there will be some sort of Sony coding going on that does it, the same way that it ties the HD to the one console so it can't be straight swapped into another PS3

Probably best to get Problemsolver's word of advice here
http://www.smileyshut.com/smileys/new/Respect/king-033.gif (http://www.smileyshut.com/Smileys/Smiley-Huts-Free-Respect-Smileys.html)
He seems to know every nook and cranny about the PS3 operations, as well as flaws that can be bypassed on the PS3. I want my **** off my HDD back!

yeldar2097
11th July 2010, 11:36 AM
I swear you must be the only person that has stuff on their PS3 that isn't on their PC/other storage media.

Seriously, how did you get it on there in the first place AND WHY WOULD YOU DELETE A BACKUP? :g

TBH mine isn't backed up either and feels like it's goin to die at any moment. Makes awful noises and locks up. Phat 60GB 'retro' PS3 ftw :rock

Seriously though Kigo, hope they can find a solution....mainly for their sake :P

KIGO1987
11th July 2010, 11:54 AM
I gave up backing up stuff on the computer. as windows vista always found a way to fuk me over any way possible, including crashing on me, and causing bad sectors on the HDD rendering it pretty much unusable. Lost music, movies and other valuable data was lost on the computer over a period of time, only stuff was safe was on the small flash drive and a external HDD unit i have, which wasnt large enough at the time to hold all my valuable contents. At the end of the day i back up most of my music and movies as well as photos onto the PS3 as it was a much safer harbor than the stupid Vista OS computer which was as predictable as the daily weather in Melbourne.

I backed up the PS3 every quarter. last backup i was going to do was now, this week, since it was the 13th of April i last backed up my contents of my PS3 HDD onto a external HDD unit, making it 3months. If it didnt take 2hours and 20minutes to backup i would do it more like once a week. I just takes too long. and i dont like leaving the PS3 on when i leave the house, or for very long periods of time, the unit gets extremely hot, especially in the extreme Australian climate.

i can use the 13th of April backup, but it doesnt have items like my Blur save data, some bluray films on there as well as an updated and organized music additions to the PS3 i put on there. I rather get an up to date backup of the PS3 HDD contents. It would be much better and heaps less ball breaking.

You old school PS3 is probably dusted to fuk over there in the Surrey mansion of yours. The dust in mine was incredible, but your PS3 will live for another couple of years over mine i reckon since the climate you have your PS3 is very cold and mild most of the time.

Your bloody right there, if they dont fixed to console the resultant will be death by a cricket bat from the boot of my car.;)

ACE-FLO
11th July 2010, 12:50 PM
Yeldar raised a valid point mate - and I read your response. If your PC is crashing on you all the time, maybe a back up of all the files on it to your 500GB HDD (need to format your 500gb HDD first tho) then a format of the PC with an older OS (like Xp service pack 3) and a re-install of of your back up from the 500 GB HDD woulda sorted out your PC one time... The you format the 500GB HDD and load on all your save data from the PS3 wqhich is now on your PC in some strange looking file, back onto the 500GB HDD whichis now less populated with data (like BLURAY movies 21GB), coz the PC is doing what it is supposed to do - store your movies and god knows what else randomness - but the PS3 has only the stuff it needs - like game save data, trophy liist and music... what else would you want on there anyway?

Maybe my thinking is flawed - maybe not... either way its too late to try the above. Just a heads up for the future.

Seems to me that you're in this mess because your PC was being totally unreliable and you used the PS3 to store stuff which shoulda been on the PC. The PS3 was never designed to handle a 500 GB HDD anyway :? Imagine one full with data - that will surely cause you system instability, and a very slow XMB to say the least. AM I right Kieran?

KIGO1987
11th July 2010, 01:34 PM
Im not going to use the 500GB HDD from the PS3 and put it into the laptop because it doesnt deserve to be in there. These stupid compaq/HP cannot be installed with XP at all, ive discussed this on the PSN and this has been backed up when ive asked people also. The core design flaw of these laptops, bloody joke. That 500GB HDD i bought was a raw 2.5" SATA unit with no case, so turning it into an external HDD for other usages was not my intention at all. Plus i have 3 other external HDD units ive used to backup data from the PC and PS3, a 60, 160, and a 320GB. They have a heap of movies and music ive backed up and collected over a period of time. One of those external HDD have my PS3 backup files on them too, given the reason why i dont really need to make the 500GB HDD from the PS3 into a laptop HDD. Unless there is a reliable laptop out there on the market at a suitable and practical price i am not going to bother doing anything with this laptop as its a heap of junk that i wish i never bought and was a mistake, and a cause of a lot of bloody greif. Thats why ive put more trust with the PS3 and external HDD storage mediums to back up my data Ace.

PS3 went to crap since it endured 3 Australian summers in a hot box with a POS ac unit that did more of blowing hot air around and caused dusk to fly around.

If things had an overall better build quality and werent rushed flawed designs, then i wouldnt be in this mess. Not like i can backup my PS3 and laptop contents every single day, i do it frequently enough, every few months. Just takes too long to backup the laptop and the PS3 everyday.

21st century build quality of things are a joke. My first car (20th century) and dryer (20th century) and first computer (20th century build). Just bloody worked, and they still do work til today. Everything now days is build to last a very limited life span, and its a bloody joke for greedy people to just make that extra bit of money in the long run to constantly screw over customers.

ACE-FLO
11th July 2010, 02:31 PM
How true mate, well put! Well, bugger - I guess we have to resign ourselve to going through avalon without you there - you're gonna be missed bud :( having said that, I wont be doing much avalon either, since I got a wedding to be attending like almost all that weekend... still, i might just fly up to gareths real late on Friday night and fly back real early Saturday morning... not sure though - i'll be looking like a dead rat at the cermenony on Saturday, if I do that :D :? :( what to do?

Either way, you're covering all the angles you possibly can atm, something will give - i'm sure of it :)

KIGO1987
11th July 2010, 02:44 PM
You did mention that in one of our last voice chat sessions on the PSN. That a possible wedding might be happening during the date of Gaz's Avalon pissup date. How inconvenient. That happens all to often, waaaaaaay too often in life, shiit always crosses paths at the shiitiest times.

Im sooooo fuked off that im going to miss out on this Avalon. Seriously there isnt alot of things to do in Perth, hence the name of dullsville. Staying at a rellies house all this weekend. No PS3 = little to do in Perth other than get pissed and visit the same crappy clubs you went to when you where 19 that havent changed at all and you cant go to the old burnout patch since cops are like Nazis now.

About the dead rat look at the ceremony, just be happy when you go home you have a fukin functioning PS3 when you go home, something to look forward for you mate :D

Darkdrium777
12th July 2010, 04:26 AM
The big "IF" is if you can back up data that's come from one PS3, and then transfer it onto a new PS3.
Which when you strip things right down is what you want to do.
I have a horrible feeling the "IF" will turn into a "NO".

If it didn't do this then it would basically allow people to give each other games by letting them copy them from a friends back up that's on a removable drive.I believe that there are some things wrong in here. What I think is correct (note the "THINK", I'm not sure don't take my word for it as absolute certainty.)

Back up utility I think works the same as transfer utility, but has intermediary step to an external HDD.
However, any data that is backed up onto that HDD can be fully restored to functionality on any PS3 system (maybe some exceptions like certain save data/game data things, but minor in comparison to what is recovered.)
BUT: this is the thing, when you restore content like purchased games, you need to activate these before you can use them, and activating is by logging on to the PSN user account that purchased these titles.
Therefore, giving games away like you say is impossible, because number one: game will have to be activated before it can be played; and number two: there are only five possible concurrent activations.

Now KIGO, if you buy a slim and wish to use your 500GB disk inside it, you will need to use backup utility. If you do not do so and use transfer utility, you will only be allowed to use the 120GB disk (unless you then do another backup and place in your 500GB which is an extra long step you probably do not want to make.)

Finally, most important too: If you do not wish to lose one of these concurrent activations, please deactivate your old PS3 system when you get your new one by following the steps which are somewhere on the page rdmx posted: http://au.playstation.com/ps3/support/network/detail/item250046/Use-the-data-transfer-utility/

blackwiggle
12th July 2010, 10:27 AM
I suppose Kigo could even use part of his old backup and put it on the new PS3 to test if it is going to work first, it would save stuffing about going through the whole process of making a new, up to date backup, and then only to find out there's going to be problem.
If there is any problem with it on the new PS3 just reformat it.

KIGO1987
12th July 2010, 10:45 AM
I believe that there are some things wrong in here. What I think is correct (note the "THINK", I'm not sure don't take my word for it as absolute certainty.)

Back up utility I think works the same as transfer utility, but has intermediary step to an external HDD.
However, any data that is backed up onto that HDD can be fully restored to functionality on any PS3 system (maybe some exceptions like certain save data/game data things, but minor in comparison to what is recovered.)
BUT: this is the thing, when you restore content like purchased games, you need to activate these before you can use them, and activating is by logging on to the PSN user account that purchased these titles.
Therefore, giving games away like you say is impossible, because number one: game will have to be activated before it can be played; and number two: there are only five possible concurrent activations.

Now KIGO, if you buy a slim and wish to use your 500GB disk inside it, you will need to use backup utility. If you do not do so and use transfer utility, you will only be allowed to use the 120GB disk (unless you then do another backup and place in your 500GB which is an extra long step you probably do not want to make.)

Finally, most important too: If you do not wish to lose one of these concurrent activations, please deactivate your old PS3 system when you get your new one by following the steps which are somewhere on the page rdmx posted: http://au.playstation.com/ps3/support/network/detail/item250046/Use-the-data-transfer-utility/

Oh Christ.....

That feels alot better reassured knowing this.

I was thinking that i could do this with a data backup. with the only thing that would need activation would be purchased titles over the PSN and all. Im not too fussed over this. Did buy the BD WOHD disc so if anything happens to the DLC files ive purchased over the PSN, ive got something to fall back onto. and the trophy sync stuff, not too fussed about that, did sync to the server with my PSN trophys the week my PS3 crapped itself, so that is all up to date. Just want to get a current backup of the PS3 HDD from July. The April one has quite a few things missing from now. If i can just do an backup utility on my PS3, just need to console to work for 3hours, then i can get a slim, put the 500GB out of the old console into the new one, format it, then put the backup data onto the new PS3. All in all im certain it is going to work, just need my old console to start up again so i can do a current backup. Once ive done that, all the data is onto the Slim i will only use the old CECHC02 just for PS2 and PS1 games, since the slim is a downgrade that only plays PS3 and PSN download games.

Time frame, when im going to back on the PSN guys, its looking like a month at absolute soonest. Sorry folk. Got **** to pay, and this is just one item out of several items that need to get payed for on my list.

OBH
12th July 2010, 11:16 AM
Seriously there isnt alot of things to do in Perth, hence the name of dullsville. Staying at a rellies house all this weekend. No PS3 = little to do

Borrow a ps3 from someone? :beer cant have kigo missing out of the pissed/blazed up camera banter.

KIGO1987
12th July 2010, 11:42 AM
I tell you what, fair dinkum Haydn im just going to steal a PS3, nick one from a shop and chuck a runner. http://www.smileyshut.com/smileys/new/free-scared-smileys-366[1].gif

I dont know anyone with a PS3 Haydn, just a few people with some cuntbox360's unfortunately. My much younger cousin, might just might have a PS3, i think he got one via the Bravia redemption, getting the PS3 off him for one night, well i dont think it is going to work......

ACE-FLO
12th July 2010, 11:48 AM
Aha, well if DD is right (and I think he could be), then why do it yourself? Go one better Kieran... Buy a SLIM and take your SLIM with your DInosaur to a Sony centre and tell 'em "I want all the crap, off my FAT BASTARD put onto my SLIM BITCH, thank you very much" then go for a Steak n Chips or something while they sort it out :D

KIGO1987
12th July 2010, 12:18 PM
i doubt ill get a free replacement from Sony with my old school PS3, one, void sticker is remove, two, i didnt buy it from there, and three they will make up some bullshit story, unless ive got a good case. If i know 100% what to do then ill have a crack at this replacement option you have showed me. i dont know other people in Australia who have tried this attempt, maybe Blackwiggle might know as he posts alot on the Sony Australia section of the SCE forums.

First i need to get that console back, just need it to operate for 3hours. 3hours of proper functioning time so i can get the **** off the HDD, back that up, only use that PS3 to sign into the PSN, talk to people, and get back to the messages. PS3 consoles are still very expensive here. Though Electronic Boutique got a bloody good 250GB PS3 deal going atm, plus 3 free games, $599 Australian dollars (not $599 US dollars (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_5I-JHTyF8&fmt=35)):p. But once again, ive got other things need to be payed, like the stupid car registration which has gone up.

carlos69nash
14th July 2010, 10:33 PM
AHHH ylod. Ive had this twice now, 1st time i repaired it i used a crappy thermal compound, ps3 ran fine however after 2 months it happened again. 2nd time roung i used colgate advanced whitening toothpaste and its been spot on for 4 months now. my teeth have gone yellow but it was worth it :) true story

AG-wolf
14th July 2010, 11:26 PM
why not just remove the hard drive, send it in to Sony, -pay- the repair charge, and then put the hard drive back in the machine when you get it back?

If the void sticker is removed, you'd have to pay the repair fee anyway, regardless of warranty standing.

You'd have to pay for a new machine anyway to replace the dead one; repair is cheaper than a new console

And when you get it back, you can still get all your data off the hard drive.

Best bet:
Remove hard drive
pay for repair
copy gamesaves off of hard drive when repaired system returns
remove your account and all DLC licenses
sell refurbished console
buy new machine

Darkdrium777
14th July 2010, 11:29 PM
Because you cannot send in the console without the hard drive.

In fact I am quite sure (in the US at least) that they ask you to leave the hard drive inside, or if you have the original hard drive of the console, remove the one you put in and place in the original one.

Because in 99% of cases they will not send you your own console again, but one that is already repaired and ready.

ProblemSolver
16th July 2010, 10:57 PM
Best bet:
Remove hard drive
pay for repair
copy gamesaves off of hard drive when repaired system returns
remove your account and all DLC licenses
sell refurbished console
buy new machine

does only apply if they haven't changed major components. If they
exchange the motherboard for example, then all hopes are gone. I do
even thing that even the replacement of the Cell processor would force
one to reformat the disc afterwards (RSX not sure). As I said, the disc is
encrypted and it is very likely that the Cell's (unique) Root-Key was used
to the sign the encryption.

The transfer utility doesn't help either. As one already noted, both system
must be fully operational.

Because you cannot send in the console without the hard drive. ...
Not so over here in Germany. ;) I think Sony can't rely on the disc.

KIGO1987
17th July 2010, 01:35 PM
Got a call from the repair place today just before they shut today. Telling me my PS3 fat is "repaired" and fix. But they couldnt do a backup since the HDD is 500GB. so i said ill come over an do a backup myself with one of my own external HDD (if they formatted that HDD im going to ****ing kill them), but since they called just before the closing time and since it is on the otherside of the city on a Saturday afternoon it is a bit of a task within a task to get over there in time, and to do a system backup on the PS3 HDD as well which would take 2hours at possible best, so i couldnt pick up my PS3 fat in time tonight. But i will be picking it up on Monday. $99 is the fee. Im guessing the quote fee is within that. They better not charge me for the backup they never did. But all in all ive got enough to pay for the PS3 repair:g. Whether it will work longer than a few weeks when i get it back is another question. I just would like to do a system backup on it asap. Then get a Slim in a month as a backup unit.

Now ive got a Big Ant External 2.5" SATA case for an old HDD i have. Does anyone here know how to format the HDD? because the stupid thing does register on the computer but it doesnt come up in the MyComputer page. Any tips of advice and knowledge would be appreciate (Darkdrium777, ProblemSover). Cheers :)

mdhay
17th July 2010, 02:00 PM
Find Disk Management and make sure it (the HDD) appears. If it does, make sure it has a drive letter (Such as E:\, F:\, Z:\, etc).

KIGO1987
17th July 2010, 02:06 PM
Cheers will try that. Thanks :)

mdhay
17th July 2010, 02:10 PM
Almost forgot, in case you don't know how to add a drive letter:

Right - click the HDD
Select 'Manage' from the drop - down menu
Go through the UAC bull**** if you have it (on, although, you'd be the last person who I'd suspect of having it on. ;))
find a drive letter that isn't used, and save changes

This is only going off of my own memory and the assumption that you can use a search function on the start menu (Vista/7).

KIGO1987
17th July 2010, 02:27 PM
Bastard still not coming up on Computer. I can only access it where the "Safely Remove hardware" icon on the bottom right of the screen.

I need to format this thing.

mdhay
17th July 2010, 02:41 PM
Does it not even appear on Device manager?

IDReaper
17th July 2010, 02:53 PM
http://rapidshare.com/files/112382685/SP27608.zip

Hey Kigo try this link, it is a small utility by HP for formatting external storage devices, I used it when I flashed my laptop BIOS to a new version by usb key.

I feel your pain though man, I just got YLOD too! But I have an extended warranty from Best Buy and am going to get a replacment today. Phew I was sweating for a little but glad I found that receipt. Good luck to ya =)

ProblemSolver
17th July 2010, 05:54 PM
... Telling me my PS3 fat is "repaired" and fix. But they couldnt do a backup since the HDD is 500GB. ...
Why should they want to do a backup? Didn't they said that your PS3 is fixed?
Or do they just offer you to backup your data from a service-PS3? If true,
then this would indicated that they have replaced a major component from your
PS3 not allowing you to read your old data with the very same PS3.

Unfortunately, the fats are dying. :( The fat PS3 with the OtherOS feature is
my third system I do really enjoy to death right next to my old Amiga and
my PS2Linux system. :)

KIGO1987
17th July 2010, 08:44 PM
http://rapidshare.com/files/112382685/SP27608.zip

Hey Kigo try this link, it is a small utility by HP for formatting external storage devices, I used it when I flashed my laptop BIOS to a new version by usb key.

I feel your pain though man, I just got YLOD too! But I have an extended warranty from Best Buy and am going to get a replacment today. Phew I was sweating for a little but glad I found that receipt. Good luck to ya =)

****ing legend!:g:g:g:g:D:D:D:D:D:D

Managed to format it, and the laptop recognizes it now.

You saved me from hitting this keyboard to pieces too:)

If i have any computer problems i always come to wipeoutzone since there is always guaranteed a solution here. Lots of people here with a vast knowledge of computer. Heaps better to talking to some tosser in Mumbai over the phone who doesnt know what im talking about and has really dodgy English.

Cheers, thanks again for that:) rep:+:+:+:+

@Problemsolver:

Im not sure what the entire story is of my PS3 atm. Kinda was told a half backed story. I still do not know what was the primary cause of my PS3 to YLOD on me. Given that the PS3 "is fixed now" from what ive been told im still wondering if i can do a system backup on the HDD. They would have to format my PS3 HDD in wouldnt they. Wouldnt it say "format HDD" since the HDD isnt recognized in my PS3 now? Well whatever the full story is ill find it out on the start of the working week.

Your absolutely right about the old launch gen PS3 like my CECHC02 model. There dying out one by one. My guess if the console works when i bring it home it'll probably chuck another YLOD on me within a few month like Deepmix's and others. So im going to insure myself and get a Slim in a month or two when i can accumulate enough cash.

infoxicated
18th July 2010, 12:27 AM
I've been worrying about my phat PS3 for a while now. Tonight I had it on downloading a movie from the PSN store and it was pumping out lots of heat considering all it was doing was idling.

I need to back up the drive at some point, as there's tons on it now and it's been ages since I made a copy of anything. Going to treat myself to an external hard drive when my house sale is complete with that in mind.

The thing is, I'd almost rather get a new one and do the system transfer thing than wait for it to die, but it does seem like an unnecessary expense.

blackwiggle
18th July 2010, 02:03 AM
There is/was a thread at PS Universe asking what signs did your fatty PS3 show before it died.
The vast majority showed the same symptoms, fans running faster than usual and the heat being extracted from them.
Also if the picture starts freezing, that seems to be the last death throws before they kick the bucket.

Some said that after doing the fan test that it blew out so much gunk that their PS3 returned to normal, I don't know about that; I've also read that this can cause more damage to a console that is already on the verge.

Hate to say it Infoxicated, but be prepared for a death in the family.:frown:

If your fully backed up it won't be so bad, just inconvenient.
Biggest PITA for me was re-downloading all my PStore stuff, you don't realize just how much you actually have until you go to replace it all, suggest you go to your PStore download history a write down what's there, then tick it off once it's been replaced, easy to miss stuff otherwise, what with all the demos etc listed in among it, most content downloaded quickly, but a few took an agonizingly long time, plus it eats up your monthly download allotment doing it all in one hit.

KIGO1987
18th July 2010, 10:31 AM
I need to back up the drive at some point, as there's tons on it now and it's been ages since I made a copy of anything.

Do the safe thing Rob and do a backup asap. PS3 fat can just drop dead at any moment.

Some said that after doing the fan test that it blew out so much gunk that their PS3 returned to normal, I don't know about that; I've also read that this can cause more damage to a console that is already on the verge.

Only some of the old fat PS3 can do the fan blow test thing. Where all the dust n **** gets blown out when you turn it on in a different way. The old 60GB PS3s cannot do this. 40GB and other models can do this fan test. The only way is to pull apart the console to get to the dust out. So much dust was inside my PS3. was incredible. Vacuuming cleaning the vents does little. You have to pull apart the console to get to the dust. But be careful with the BD drive. just shunting that a little bit can cause the BD to not function.

SaturnReturn
18th July 2010, 11:46 AM
What about getting a can of compressed air and blowing through the vents? Maybe that would help clean the dust out.

KIGO1987
18th July 2010, 12:59 PM
ive got a can of the stuff i bought a while back. I use it to clean the old keyboard. But if i used the stuff for the PS3 it would just blow the dust further into the major components in the console. Once the dust gets in. You have to pull apart the console to get it out, Andy does this once in a while. The dust accumulates in the essential parts of the console an is an absolute pain to get out. Ill pop some photos on this post to show you how the dust gets everywhere and how consistent cleaning of the console sometime never gets the dust out.

infoxicated
18th July 2010, 04:26 PM
Blackwiggle - as far as I knew you couldn't do a fan reverse on the original PS3?

It's something I'd do just for the fun of it if it works. :)

I don't think mine is going to fail in the immediate future - I've always kept it well ventilated and vacuum it out every now and then, but it'll be three years old in October and I don't imagine it'll be seeing a fourth birthday if there really are inherent flaws in the design of the hardware.

mdhay
18th July 2010, 04:31 PM
Well, if you keep it going like it is, it stands a good chance, surely?

ProblemSolver
18th July 2010, 05:49 PM
Don't rely on the fan test. From a physical point of view (fluid dynamics),
the fan test serves nothing for a device which is operated frequently. The
fan test may serve you a little if you haven't turned on your PS3 for about
two or three months. However, in general, the fan test has NO effect. The
best way to clean a PS3 (any device) is to open it up and to use a cleaning
rag to get rid of all the dust -- in case there isn't any warranty left, of
course. ;)

KIGO1987
19th July 2010, 08:30 AM
Right, got my PS3 back today. But not without all the drama. I go to the place today, which is located on the other side of the city from me, approx 2light years away from me. Going there with the $99 i was told the total fee would be, so i went there with 5 $20 notes in a small plastic bag there. I get there, guy says "my DVD loading tray was faulty". So it would be and extra $30. I didnt have the extra $30 on me. Said to him that wasnt the total fee we agreed on when you called me on Saturday afternoon. Was in a shiity mood because it was his fault not giving me his story and him getting his figures right. So in a shiity mood i got in my car, and drove aaaalllll the way back home another 2light years, got there and took my extra $50 from my safe which was suppose to be petrol for the car this week. Being pissed off coming back down the freeway doing 160kph plus i wasnt particularly good mood either. I get back there. Guy isnt there. Waiting for about 20minutes for a response. I get my PS3, put it in the laptop bag i have. Asked him the primary cause of the fault. It appears the CPU went to cactus or something. Im not sure if it was that was the primary fault. I could access all my HDD contents i had from before the YLOD incident, which is brilliant, because that was my number one concern and priority. Asked him the warranty time length on the job. One month if it chucks another YLOD on me. After paying i left. Driving back on literally no petrol in the car, just fumes since i had to take two trips out to the fringe of the bloody solar system and back twice to pick up my PS3. Got home. Did a system backup on it. That took 4hours and 10minutes this time. Total size of the backup was 115GB. Just signed into the PSN then, noticed my PSN friends list dropped from 100 to 98. With one pending friendship request during the time frame that i have been offline. One of the people that bugger off my friends list was Jonathan ______ / Kaori, i guess he wasnt expecting for me to make a miraculously return to the PSN. Buggered if i know who the other person was. Delightful for them to leave a message of there intention in my inbox. Well there is one spot available on my PSN friends list if anyone wants it. Probably wont be vacant for much longer.

But the full story of my PS3 is that it appears to have much more life in it, and not ready to die yet, i will probably not look towards purchasing a slim pretty much to the end of the year, when ive accumulated enough cash on me and have paid all these dumb car debts. I might consider buying a slim when GT5 comes out, ill purchase it if there is some sort of package going on with the console and a copy of GT5. Seems to be the right time frame and best thing to do.

Good to be back on the PSN agan.:) Looking forward to talking to everyone again.

A home in a home. Speaking about that need to check out the wz museum now.

ProblemSolver
19th July 2010, 11:03 PM
4light years. That's pretty close!

Could you do me a favor and call him again asking what he (they) did to
make your PS3 working again? To me its sound like they have repaired your
PS3 using the heating method. Well, mate, hopefully your PS3 will make it
till the end of the year. xD

blackwiggle
19th July 2010, 11:57 PM
I think you might be right Problemsolver.
I bet when the repairer disassembled it he's said to himself, this guys pulled this console apart before he bought it to us, seen that the screws on the disc drive had been undone then done up again, obviously to get a disc out, then thought evilly :twisted:g, humm, I could hit him up for a disc repair as he isn't going to know if it was broken or not as the console wouldn't start up.
Just winding you up Kigo. :)

The more likely scenario was, even if Kigo hadn't broken the disc drive, the chances of him putting it back together again without misalignment of the laser would be pretty slim, they probable did a tracking test, found it was out of whack and did some slight adjustment on it.
Which when you think about it, costing you an extra $30 now is better than the frustration of having the disc drive playing up when you get it home, then having to take it back, which would probably cost you even more in the end.

KIGO1987
20th July 2010, 10:19 AM
4light years. That's pretty close!

Could you do me a favor and call him again asking what he (they) did to
make your PS3 working again? To me its sound like they have repaired your
PS3 using the heating method. Well, mate, hopefully your PS3 will make it
till the end of the year. xD

2light years to drive there,
2light years to drive home,
2light years to drive there again,
2light years to get back home again.

8lights years of total driving distance :P

Well i was having a talk to Deepmix on the PSN. Saying whether the heatgun or the reballing method was used. I didnt have an opportunity to give the people a call there today. By the looks i reckon they used the heatgun method, it was a ****ing absolute shiitfest in the back room when i went collected my PS3, my PS3 was sandwiched under another fat, there was a PS3 dismantled on the floor, looks like a heat test was being conducted or something. The amount of crap just lying around everywhere was enough to give some with OCD a heart attack.

Im having a look at the receipt right now atm. $99 for the "motherboard repaired", and another $30 for the "DVD slot realignment" which was made up when i went to collect the console, and not the total agree price from Saturday.

I think you might be right Problemsolver.
I bet when the repairer disassembled it he's said to himself, this guys pulled this console apart before he bought it to us, seen that the screws on the disc drive had been undone then done up again, obviously to get a disc out, then thought evilly :twisted:g, humm, I could hit him up for a disc repair as he isn't going to know if it was broken or not as the console wouldn't start up.

Your probably right there, the dodgy bastard made up that extra ****ing $30 fee which it wasnt the total agreed fee when i spoke on Saturday arvo to him. ****ing lying **** he is. Got no sweet FA petrol in the car for this week now. I bet there was a drug methamphetamine lab out the back of the place too, so the guy could shoot to bunnings after i gave him my petrol money and buy some fertilizers or chemicals or something, then to make small pink pills with Mitsubishi logos on them then to sell them to drugies in Northbridge or something.

There was no evidence that the drive was stuffed. Not happy. If he said that was the price on Saturday when he spoke to me, then ill be less shiity.

Yeah i can tell that, lol:P still in a grumpy mood over this though:bomb

boo4ever
22nd July 2010, 09:21 PM
update * i was able to bring my launch 60g ps3 back to life with the reflow (heat gun) method. i spent about $60 (usd) for the tools, and it took me several hours (i took my time). i had already purchased a slim fearing the worst. i am not sure i trust the old unit as it seems louder than before but i had no problems getting the data off of it.