PDA

View Full Version : Dark Matter

Chill
29th May 2010, 04:14 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_matter

http://bigthink.com/ideas/20312

Something that could possibly make Wipeout a reality, as well as other things... Left this thread as open discussion of the topic...

Medusa
29th May 2010, 04:42 PM
Hmmm. Once they come up with a more specific definition of what it is, and/or recreate in the Hadron Collider (BTW, isn't it great the world hasn't exploded yet?), I can't speculate further.
But right now, ummm...I have no ideas how to connect this with WipEout, beyond the fact it is changing Newtonian physics in space (which changes a lot of things, so I do wonder if what they're observing so far away will be the same as what they observe on earth).

Dark_Phantom_89
29th May 2010, 05:07 PM
Ever since watching the X Files, I've always assumed that Dark Matter breaks down atoms and molecules into nothing, or in other words, disintegrates everything like a black hole...

Yes, my source is hardly credible - don't laugh at me :paperbag

On a more serious note, it could be possible, but it'd take at least another 50-100 years of research and development in order for it to be comercially used. Heck, I guess it could happen in 2052 or 2097 - wouldn't that be a coincidence?

Chill
29th May 2010, 06:09 PM
oh haha... well they're not saying as to how it can be captured or used yet, but appears they are using it... they just choose not to give out all the information for reasons that may prove reasonable... Apparently this type of energy is so powerful it can generate gravity... thus perhaps a counter-reaction as well with some work, 'anti-gravity'... perhaps the understanding of dark matter would lead us to a better theory of the works of gravity... ;)

yeldar2097
29th May 2010, 08:45 PM
'Anti'-dark-matter ftw. Come on you scientists.

I love sciency things, they fascinate me awfully :)

DrMannevond
10th June 2010, 08:52 PM
According to the wikipedia article they think dark matter is nonbaryonic, which basically means that we can't interact with it. Take Neutrinos for instance; If you hold out your hand for three seconds, approximately 15 trillion (!) neutrinos will pass through it in that time. During your entire life, three neutrinos will collide with an atom in your body (on average), the rest will just fly between the atoms in your body. So - basically there's not a chance in hell for us to interact with them in the near future.
As for black holes the atoms may get ripped apart, but the information contained in them is still conserved in the event-horizon (point of no return) of the black hole, encoded via tiny fluctuations/bumps on the Planck-scale.
I think (this is all from memory. Best taken with a huge pinch of salt:P).
Oh, and if you're into AG, check out Heim-theory. Fascinating stuff!
Edit : Just to give you an idea of the Planck-scale : If a tree was 1 Planck-length in size a proton would be the size of the known universe...:nod