PDA

View Full Version : Need help with choosing a laptop

mdhay
27th March 2010, 08:42 PM
After finding out about needing a laptop for Graphic Design, I started to look at the choices available. Seeing as I would like one that isn't crap, and can hold its own against what I'll throw at it (Graphic designing, gaming, game design etc), I've been having a look around.

This is what I have seen so far; seems to be powerful, has a moderate battery life and isn't too expensive (http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/612529/HP-DV6-2113/tab/specification#spec)
Any ideas/ suggestions? Any help or advice would be appreciated. :D

YouAreFubar
27th March 2010, 09:52 PM
I would suggest a Macbook Pro (I use one myself). Macs are amazing at graphic stuff (and are the industry standard), and you can use Bootcamp to install a Windows operating system (you have to have the disc mind) on another hard drive partition for all your gaming needs.

If you dont want to venture to the dark side, I hear alienware computers are good for gaming, and ill assume that they would be handle graphics pretty good as well.

It all depends on your budget though.

stin
27th March 2010, 09:58 PM
An HP!, put this way, why not ask a salesman or ask your teacher to recommend certain type of laptop for you OR ask your parents to say for you?;)

That is the only way to keep you right.

stevie:)

mdhay
27th March 2010, 10:48 PM
If you dont want to venture to the dark side, I hear alienware computers are good for gaming, and ill assume that they would be handle graphics pretty good as well.

It all depends on your budget though.

That's probably the highest I can go pricewise, and I'm not getting it for gaming, so an Alienware isn't an option (I just want to be able to play Fallout1/ 2/ 3 on it).

An HP!, put this way, why not ask a salesman or ask your teacher to recommend certain type of laptop for you OR ask your parents to say for you?

That is the only way to keep you right.

Thing is, My parents don't know anything about them, and salesmen in Blackburn are shite.

I was under the general impression that seeing as GIMP is essentialy a free Phototshop, there is no difference between them, so learning how to use a mac is useless, as I'll be taught how in college. :)

stin
27th March 2010, 11:26 PM
aah..ok, but what you got to remember is...your parents are paying for that laptop for you and you must do something to pay back for your parents like dishes or whatever you do as a compliment...you know;)

stevie:)

mdhay
27th March 2010, 11:46 PM
Don't need to - Just need 4 CGSE's. :g

Dan Locke
28th March 2010, 02:04 AM
Be sure that the touchpad is decent - an alarming number of computer companies seem to think that it's a good idea to make them grippy. My old Toshiba was wonderfully easy to use because of its smooth, responsive touchpad; when the screen broke, I replaced it with an HP G70, which has one of the vilest excuses for a touchpad that I've ever had to use. I very nearly replaced it with the Toshiba's (which would have necessitated cutting a hole in the computer's case), but I realized that I wouldn't have any working drivers for the new computer/touchpad combination. I'm currently considering roughing the surface up with some fine sandpaper.

Most grippy touchpads have no noticeable seam between them and the computer's case - if you see a touchpad like that, STEER CLEAR. I made the mistake of thinking that such a touchpad could still be smooth enough to use - and I'm paying for it every time I use my computer.

drell
28th March 2010, 08:32 AM
This is a strong opinion post but I think it is incredibly stupid to use any touchpad for graphics design. At least use a mouse, or a tablet at best.
---
Dan Locke, buy yourself a small mouse that you can carry everywhere, perhaps in your pocket even if you have no space in the bag. Great mouse (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/mice/devices/6536&cl=us,en), I use it all the time.
---
Good luck playing Fallout 3 on any laptop at this low of a price though. Unless you don't mind playing low detail :s

mdhay
28th March 2010, 09:15 AM
I'd be using a mouse, and Fallout 3 is just an example (1 and 2 should work), I'd probably just put HL2 on there. I tried to put F3 on my bro's old laptop. Still have nightmares just thinking about the FPS count. :cold

rdmx
28th March 2010, 10:27 AM
May I make the suggestion of the Asus UL30VT?
$750USD - extremely good battery life, ULV cpu which can be overclocked for gaming performance and get this - switchable graphics between an nvidia gpu and an intergrated intel one - swap to the nvidia for gaming (which runs games very well for the price), or swap to the intel for normal work or video watching. It's also quite light so it's nice and portable.
It runs mw2 on high so it should have no problem with fallout 3 for example or indeed hl2/source engine games
I just got one, pleased with it so far

mdhay
28th March 2010, 10:32 AM
I'll have a look. Thanks. How can it be overclocked? :g

Nevermind, it's import only. :(

Amorbis
28th March 2010, 10:58 AM
I think with doing Graphic Design it would be a good idea to get a Mac, but I'd inquire about any course requirements such as what programs you'll need etc. You wouldn't want to buy a Windows laptop and need a Mac or vice versa.

I don't know much about Macs so I couldn't recommend one in particular, I use the Adobe suite on my PC. ;)

mdhay
28th March 2010, 11:00 AM
They way I see it, I don't need a mac. The development suite is on windows, so why switch? I already know how to use a mac. :G

Found something else, anyway. (http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/616710/SONY-VPCEB1S0E-WI/tab/specification#spec)

ACE-FLO
28th March 2010, 01:19 PM
Whatever you decide mate, get yourself a decent Graphics Tablet. Designing without one, is a long ass process :D

Macs rule :rock

mdhay
28th March 2010, 01:29 PM
I already have plans to get one. My brother got one, and he couldn't use it, so I'll have a practice with it before I do anything else.

rdmx
28th March 2010, 01:57 PM
I'll have a look. Thanks. How can it be overclocked? :g

Nevermind, it's import only. :(
I imported mine from the USA, came in 3 days, no hassle - there was a bit of shipping cost but still significantly cheaper than buying locally

mdhay
28th March 2010, 02:10 PM
Importing/ buying online isn't an option, otherwise I'd have that one. Thanks anyway. :)

MrSmadSmartAlex
28th March 2010, 02:13 PM
That Sony would be a much better buy than the first one you linked to IMO, mainly because it's not stuck with integrated graphics. With a laptop, you're pretty much stuck with whatever it comes with for graphics, and integrated graphics will just eat into the RAM, and possibly even lack some capabilities. Usually, it won't really matter, but you said you're using it for graphic design, so dedicated graphics memory (like in that Sony) would be better. It should run Fallout 3 fine as well. ;)

edit: :lol forget that. I dismissed the first one because it was incorrectly listed as having no dedicated graphics memory. I'd still recommend the Sony though, because it's graphics chip is better.

mdhay
28th March 2010, 02:24 PM
Cool, I'll see what my parents think about it. :)

SaturnReturn
28th March 2010, 02:39 PM
Sorry for being overly cautious here, but even though it's not super expensive, I can't help but feel like that Sony looks too flashy. It has "steal me" written all over it.

mdhay
28th March 2010, 02:44 PM
I wouldn't be taking it anywhere.

ACE-FLO
28th March 2010, 04:16 PM
Then forget the laptop scenario, and get a tower mate- FUTURE PROOF :)

upgradeable for power apps which you'll use in future, like rendering 3D images then animating them :rock

mdhay
28th March 2010, 04:21 PM
I cannot get a tower - if I did, it wouldn't be my computer.

BulletWraith
31st March 2010, 02:31 AM
I dunno about Sony, I mean it'll work great for sure, but some of the cover price will be going into its looks, so I'd go for a Lenovo, or maybe an Asus

might be just personal preference but I can't stand laptops with shiny screens, visibility issues ahoy'hoy, but if your lighting conditions are always going to be perfect I guess you don't need to think about it

-dreamingthelife

q_dmc12
5th April 2010, 02:13 AM
1.8GHz Dual-core processor, 2 GB ram, 500 GB 7200 RPM HDD, nVidia sound card of some sort, various USB ports, a decent sound card (VIA?) and put linux on it. Use Wine for your windows games.

These are all ball park figures but you'll probably want something close or better than these. :pc

oh, you'll probably want one with a wireless card if not a 10/100/1000 gigabit ethernet port as well.

mdhay
5th April 2010, 10:01 AM
Too late, I got the Sony one on Thursday. I'll hold that thought, though. There may be a time for me to get a better one. :+

q_dmc12
5th April 2010, 11:16 AM
What are the specs?

mdhay
5th April 2010, 01:24 PM
Will a DXDiag text file do it? (Attached)

SaturnReturn
5th April 2010, 01:39 PM
That zip file doesn't work for me, but I think they're just listed here (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?p=170080#post170080), right? Or is it a different one?

mdhay
5th April 2010, 02:02 PM
Oh yeah, forgot about that. XD

q_dmc12
5th April 2010, 09:27 PM
Oh nice! :o

mdhay
5th April 2010, 10:19 PM
Yeah, and it was supposed to be £650, but was knocked down to £630, and I got reduced price AV software to total the original price. :O