PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Fortress

omega329
20th December 2009, 03:09 PM
After a brief discussion in the offtopic thread, I was just wondering, does anyone else here played dwarf fortress?

Here's mine currently, http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-7671-cryptcrescent
I've devised a sprinkler system to put mist in the main hallway, as mist gives Dwarfs a "happy thought" this serves as a way of stopping my dwarfs from getting too upset :D .

mic-dk
22nd December 2009, 05:37 AM
Ooh, that's a nice shower!

I've started a new fortress. It's still a bit of a mess, I got my steel production up and running, but is fast running out of trees and coal, so my main concern right now is locating the magmapipe. After that; Architecture!

I'll see if I can get it uploaded sometime soon.

Attached is my mate's dragon killin' traps :eek

omega329
22nd December 2009, 11:22 AM
Good luck locating the magma pipe, I've already used visual fortress and can confirm that there is no magma pipe on my current fortress.

The most awesome thing yet happened just a few minutes ago, I had forgotten to lock a set of doors, allowing a goblin ambush to get in. The goblins had managed to work their way down a z-level into my main food/wood/farming level, and were attacking low-level, defenseless, planters. So, I station my military in the middle of this planter-massacre.
The first dwarf down is a Champion Wrestler, quick, but has no chance of making it to the planters in time. He grabs a stray goblin and THROWS it about 30-40 squares straight at another goblin , who is part of the way through murdering a planter.
The thrown goblin hits the other goblin and dies on impact, knocking them both to the ground, giving the planter a chance to escape. I decide to examine the square with the two goblins on (k), this is what I see:

<Goblin name> , Goblin Wrestler
<list of goblin-y items>
<thrown goblin name>'s corpse
<thrown goblin name>'s Upper Left leg
<thrown goblin name>'s Upper Right Leg
<thrown goblin name>'s Upper Left Arm
<thrown goblin name>'s Upper Right Arm
<thrown goblin name>'s Head

The force of the impact with the other goblin has ripped it's limbs off!

The Champion wrestler then runs over to this heap of goblin parts, picks up the second goblin (now unconscious, winded and in pain, lower spine and legs red) and does exactly the same thing, throwing it at a THIRD goblin!

Of course, by this time, the rest of the military has arrived, and they begin picking off the remaining of the goblins, but not before this Wrestler manages to pick up goblin number 3 and throw him at a wall, killing him on impact.

This is the reason I started playing Dwarf Fortress :rock

Lance
22nd December 2009, 02:10 PM
:) Bloodthirsty often?

mdhay
22nd December 2009, 05:58 PM
Omega, that is why I play Fallout. :twisted

omega329
22nd December 2009, 07:36 PM
Sometimes... :twisted
Of course, all this is in ASCII on my screen, which I find enjoyable, as I can imagine it however I want and I'm not constrained by some other artist's imagination...

mic-dk
23rd December 2009, 05:08 AM
Omega, that Urist McWrestler deserves his Fine Moutain Goat Roast. Most awesome! Those filthy orkses and goblins deserves nothing less!

:mr-t

I have 4 "tank" dwarves ATM equipped with superior (or better) steel armor, helms, gauntlets, shields, the works. It went fine until I issued battleaxes and warhammers. Now 3 of them are lying unconscious in the barracks with injuries... Silly dwarves.

Oh, and I embarked on a map with flux, underground river and magma pipe. I <heart> Find location :) I know it is a bit cheap, but I hate spending a lot of time on a map only to find... nothing.

omega329
23rd December 2009, 05:25 PM
You should have seen what happened to the Hammer Lord with the artifact platinum hammer. (yes, platinum, the damage multiplier might be 0.5 for the material aspect, but Jesus Christ, the quality multiplier pushes that ridiculously high.)

I don't care if he's only level 10 and can go up to 20, there's no way in HELL he's sparring after what happened last time.

So... Much... Blood... D:

mdhay
24th December 2009, 03:50 PM
But Omega, there is no blood. :g

omega329
27th December 2009, 04:28 PM
Then what are all the red-coloured floor and wall tiles covered in? :P
Anyway, I've been on holiday since christmas eve, so there's been no developments in the fortress as of late, but I might be taking part in a succession game on a different forum in the new year :D

mdhay
30th December 2009, 09:49 AM
Ketchup. :g

Lance
30th December 2009, 02:16 PM
marinara?

omega329
4th January 2010, 09:13 AM
Definitely blood, it's described as "a splattering/pool/speck/smear of blood" depending on how much and what caused it.