PDA

View Full Version : My PS3 has just died!!!

YouAreFubar
13th November 2009, 01:50 AM
Its just turned itself off in the middle of a MW2 online match and all im getting now is a blinking red light! Great! Its a 60GB model and wont be in warranty any more! And just to add to it my MW2 disc is stuck inside!

Fubar's not happy! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

RedScar
13th November 2009, 02:53 AM
well the PS3 support team is pretty good with this. My laser died on my 40GB awhile ago and it was replaced pretty fast. It cost me $190 Canadian (with shipping) but it came with a 3 month warrenty. It sucks but this is the best option, give them a call or check the support website.

Lance
13th November 2009, 03:35 AM
$190?! sheesh.

TorquedSoul
13th November 2009, 04:02 AM
check the hard drive connection. If the connection is good check to make sure the hard drive is itself functional.

Rezatron
13th November 2009, 06:35 AM
You can force the disc to eject by holding the eject button down for 6 seconds. This only works when the PS3 is on so i'm not sure if it will work for you.

chaos80
13th November 2009, 11:13 AM
The same thing happened to my 60GB model almost a year ago. Died in the middle of a WO session. Went YLOD on me... I contacted the retailer/distributor about it, and sent my broken one in and got a brand new 60GB model even though I didn't have any warranty either. It's is such a common error in those model, that you will probably get a new one too. Good luck!

AG-wolf
13th November 2009, 12:30 PM
if your model is one with PS2 compatibility, just bite the bullet and pay whatever Sony charges for repair. It's better than getting one of the newer gimped models.

YouAreFubar
13th November 2009, 01:55 PM
I cant even turn it on to try to eject the disk. It powers up for a second then the light goes yellow then flashes red. Dead with my game stuck inside. I have just found the receipt now and ive had it just over 2 years and 1 month, its well out of warranty. And tbh im not too fussed on the PS2 backward compatibility. Ive still got all my old PS2 games but ive rarely used them in the 2 years ive kept hold of them.

Im just checking the HD (as soon as I can find my screwdriver) and then ill ring Sony up now and see what they say. I didnt want to be doing this on my day off!

YouAreFubar
16th November 2009, 10:07 PM
Ive bit the bullet and just spent £250 in a slim PS3. I could have done without spending that kind of cash before Christmas but I need to feed my habit. My next challenge is to now retrieve my MW2 disk from in my old PS3. Does anyone have any suggestions for this? Ive taken the lid off my PS3 and had a look at the blu-ray enclosure, but I dont have a screwdriver small enough to unscrew it. Would anyone know if it would be straight forward or not to get at it if I can get past this obstacle?

BulletWraith
17th November 2009, 07:07 AM
here's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R43qUqaRqg) a tut on youtube to dismantle it and get your disk back

but the last comment on it says this:

dude! you could have just switched off the PS3 from the back, held the eject button, switched it back on (while holding the eject button, and keepin it on until the PS3 switches on/light turns green) and then the PS3 would switch on in fan test mode, so the fan will be at full speed. You'll notice it very easily by the loud noise it makes. Then 5 seconds later, the blu ray drive spits out the disc as if u pressed the eject button normally! That's how I got my COD4 out of my 40GB PS3 :)

so you might want to try that first if it'll work
Churr
-kiwi Stevie

YouAreFubar
23rd November 2009, 05:57 PM
Only works on the 40GB im afraid (I tried it anyway though). I went out and bought a precision screwdriver set and managed to retrieve the disk with relative ease. Thanks anyway zer0shen!