PDA

View Full Version : CoD:Modern Warfare 2

RedScar
8th November 2009, 06:49 AM
I understand that this is a forum dedicated to a racing game and doesn't have a whole lot of FPS players, but I'm just wondering if there is anyone on WZ that is picking this up for any console (360 PS3, PC)?

I have huge plan to pick this up for my PC day 1 at midnight, but then IW and Activision crushed the PC community with the announcement of no dedicated server support or mods.
Now since this is a big deal to PC gamers, I initially did what every hardcore PC FPS fan did, lit my torch, grabbed my pitchfork and went around yelling nasty thing about IW. Now that I've had school slap me in the face a few times and realize I've got bigger things going on I've calmed a bit about the issue although I'm still very bitter. I have signed the petition (http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?dedis4mw) which is 188000 signatures strong.
I watch the gameplay and it truly does look fun (if not the same as CoD4), but when I think of how much better it could be it pains me. I am against getting the game but then again, I am a hypocrite when it comes to these things so right now I'm unsure if I will purchase it. EA and BF:BC2 for the PC just got a whole lot more tempting.

TL DR? Tell me how it is if you get the PC ver, since all the PC ppl I know still have the pitchforks beside them when they sleep.

Oh and in case you were wondering, I am trolling WZ again, and would love to start up my PS3 to remove its paperweight title that it holds now. School is just being really annoying with constant stuff (Had to STUDY on my B-DAY! that should be outlawed) to do, but at least I'm doing well this year. Xmas break is coming up (although not fast enough) so hopefully I will get some Wiping in soon enough.

djKyoto
8th November 2009, 09:35 AM
I hope this game fails hard, but I know it's going to sell a ****load.

rdmx
8th November 2009, 10:19 AM
I was so pumped for it on PC, but with the lack of dedicated servers, it's turned into a load of ****.
The only thing is, I've been watching gameplay videos, it looks fun! That's what games are about after all.
I guess I'll wait a week or two and see what the community says.

mdhay
8th November 2009, 11:04 AM
I am proud to say that I'm not getting this. I don't play MW, I only rarely play WoW (Nazi Zombies is the only reason that I bought it), and I think that CoD will go the same way as Halo - the developers have ran the franchise into the ground to the extent that it has 'borrowed' from everything barely FPS related (Aliens and Enemy at the Gates spring to mind), then they add that silly "can't jump over 1 metre", and make the PC crouch at the speed of light and make NPC's run through air instead of on the ground, and every hormone - driven brainless male teenage mess at my school laps it up..... and they take the piss out of me for being different.:rolleyes:

RedScar
8th November 2009, 07:39 PM
Anyone else confused by mdhays post :P
Well looks like I have to go back to my first couple clans, see it I can't connect with some old members and find one that is still getting it.

mdhay
8th November 2009, 08:18 PM
Me! :g

rdmx
9th November 2009, 03:17 AM
Someone in my tf2 clan is getting it at the midnight launch so I guess I'll see what he says about the MP - that'll probably sway me towards getting it or not getting it. I've been looking forward to mw2 for quite a bit until the dedicated server news and since I'm not getting l4d2 anymore thanks to the neutered gore, I don't know whether I should spend money on mw2 then :S
Also since pretty much every single game has been delayed to next quarter coz nobody wants to compete with mw2, I might be a bit lacking in new things to do.

RedScar
9th November 2009, 03:31 AM
Ya you aussies get the short end of the stick when it comes to games.

I've been watching some more gameplay of the pirated 360 ver (lol console pirating?) and it looks fun, although it looks almost the exact same as CoD4. I realize that it shouldn't look that different because it is running on an improved version of the CoD4 engine, but it still kills it a bit for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbEJ3s3JWDU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rPPlfSwbME

Also, kill streaks seem WAY OP, getting 11 kill streak isn't that hard if u camp a choke point

Harvai
9th November 2009, 09:17 AM
I have huge plan to pick this up for my PC day 1 at midnight, but then IW and Activision crushed the PC community with the announcement of no dedicated server support or mods.

I'm a console player and I am really very sorry this happened to the PC version. Matchmaking is a crap way of going around things, whatever way you look at it. I don't play Gears of War 2 or Forza 3 online because the matchmaking systems they employ are painfull to use.

However, I'm getting my copy of Moderner Warfare for the 360 on launch day tomorrow, (like the mouth-breathing, casual-playing consoletard that I am, some people would say) and I'm pretty sure I'm going to like it. Except for the kill streak bonuses, they look waaaaaaay over-the-top.

And about Aussies getting the short end of the stick? Have a look at what's cut out of our version of Left 4 Dead 2... (and, by proxy, the rest of the worlds' versions)

DawnFireDragoon
9th November 2009, 01:48 PM
if you ordered it from ASDA online in the UK it got shipped to you last friday, my mate at work has been playing it all weekend. the g&t. he's loving it.

i will probably pick it up in a week or two, waaaay to busy with borderlands (which is awesome by the way, especially when played with a couple of friends) and crisis core (which i have been meaning to complete for months) right now, to be playing another game, i know will take away alot of my time.

but i loved the first one, multiplayer and campaign! second to half life 2, it's single player might be my favourite fps campaign i've ever played!!! :)

andy
9th November 2009, 06:50 PM
I can't wait for my copy to arrive haha. I have it on preorder for the 360.

DawnFireDragoon
9th November 2009, 07:41 PM
Uk shoppers:

£32 in asda

and amazingly it's supposed to be £26 in sainsbury's.

if that proves to be true, i may end up getting a copy from the local store.

RedScar
10th November 2009, 01:01 AM
32 pounds? that is 56.79 Canadian, and they want me to pay $70. That is some major BS
Buddy of mine who was on the waiting list to get the prestige edition got a call today saying that they had someone cancel and that it was his. $190 is way to much but meh, not my money.

EDIT: IWnet off to a flying start
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/comment/9/2009/11/793e57f853f1452f254236c85c65ad01/original.jpg
The link in the photo doesn't work either >.>

invernomuto
10th November 2009, 09:51 AM
Bought my PS3 copy yesterday and played some of the campaign and some multiplayer.

All I have to say about this game is: AWESOME ;)

DawnFireDragoon
10th November 2009, 11:23 AM
ok, the best deal for uk shoppers is easily morrisons:

£25.99.

An absolute steal.

supermarkets really are the best place to buy games these days.

Rapier Racer
10th November 2009, 05:09 PM
I drove to Morrisons with my mate and picked it up when they opened this morning, currently on play-through 2.

Supermarkets are not the best place for games, a lot of them only stock chart games, top 10 maybe 20. Imagine how **** it would be if every shop did that.

rdmx
11th November 2009, 12:33 AM
The RRP here is around 100 canadian so consider yourself lucky :/
Cheapest price here for the PC version is 86 canadian :mad: Damn activision

Rapier Racer
11th November 2009, 10:54 AM
So everyone's noticed how cheap the game is being sold for here. That can only mean one thing but do not panic! I've already prepared the "Let's sue infinity ward" thread its just raring to go.

rdmx
11th November 2009, 11:16 AM
In all fairness to IW, it's the publisher activision which sets the RRP, not the developer.

RedScar
11th November 2009, 09:25 PM
and activision is run by a game hater, literally the guy hates video games.

Rapier Racer
11th November 2009, 09:33 PM
I don't care who the real culprit is though I'm just going to point fingers without due cause.

Anyhoo, completed it for the second time, next, hard mode. I'm sure that will be fun on some levels...

Lance
11th November 2009, 10:27 PM
"... point fingers without due cause."

LOL
Good one, RR.

----

Or fun on some level. Self-inflicted torture, maybe? ;)

Harvai
12th November 2009, 07:39 AM
You guys think your pricing is bad, how does $120 Aussie dollars sound? For the standard edition, no less!

In a rare move of generosity, EB had a pre-order deal where you get the Hardened edition for the same price as the standard. Took that, and traded in some of my older games to bring the price down to about AUS $35.

Goddamn is this game awesome. Levels are a bit short for my liking, but they're still awesome. Nice selection of guns, too. Anyone picked up an 'AA-12 Shotgun' yet? Spews out shells like no-one's business.

Rapier Racer
12th November 2009, 02:33 PM
Hmm well Lance it depends how you look at it. Easy and medium you can run in guns blazing more often. I'm assuming hard will require more tactical use of cover, being sure your aim is good and taking down that tango efficiently. Estimated start time for hard campaign is this evening after a few hours kip, we'll see how long I stick it out. There is one particular level full of houses and narrow pathways which are built up a hill and its full of militia fighters, it was hard enough on medium that one...

Now 120 Australian dollars for a game. After a quick conversion it works out at just over SIXTY SEVEN POUNDS!!! What?! Are you having a laugh? This outrageous price is just for this particular game yes?

Now I haven't finished MW2 yet (and don't tell me the end) But doesn't Ghost sound a lot like Gaz from MW1?

Quoted from another thread, my response would take it off topic a bit I think. Yes, Ghost sounds exaclty like Gaz because its the same voice actor, it's a jolly fine coincidence that Ghost's role in the game seems to mirror that of Gaz and you cannot see his face. Hmm hmmmity hmm-hmm-hmm

infoxicated
12th November 2009, 03:20 PM
I should pick up my copy tonight - my brother got it for me yesterday.

I didn't really fall in love with the previous modern warfare game - thought it was a bit too much like a trigger point tram ride in places, but as this one as co-op I'm willing to give it another go. :)

Rapier Racer
12th November 2009, 05:15 PM
Yeah Special Ops mode an entire mode that can be played coop, which would be great, if it wasn't ****ed. Tried to connect with Arnaud to play through some it but after 7 or so game invites sheesh no dice.

RedScar
12th November 2009, 10:10 PM
I'm dling my eyepatch and wooden leg version right now. Going to see if the MP (or at least spec op) will work over hamachi.

DawnFireDragoon
12th November 2009, 10:38 PM
rapier racer, if you're playing it on ps3, it's because it has known server issues right now. infinity ward can't do anything, it's due to server overload i believe.

give it a bit of time and then try it out.

i've just started campaign and so far it's just as good as modern warfare. now i have to balance this and borderlands!!! arrrrrrrgh!

Rapier Racer
12th November 2009, 11:44 PM
Yeah I read about that, not too annoyed. When it comes to games like this especially squad based shooters I much prefer the offline single player experience, I think I played the original Modern Warfare online 1 time.

In fact Wipeout HD is about the only game I do play online I guess I'm just not largely into this online stuff so much, sometimes it leads to a poorer single player mode too and I resent it for this.

OBH
13th November 2009, 11:27 AM
fantastic game.

i have no internet so am already 3 missions from finishing it on veteren and have done the first set and a half of spec ops on veteren.

leveling up characters on split screen = ****ing sweet!!!!! :beer

kanar
13th November 2009, 11:40 AM
hey guys, looking for some co-op missions & classic team battle after this week-end, so feel free to hit me up if you see me online. I've quickly finished the story mode, was kinda shocked by the airport mission tbh. That wasn't necessary, and seriously they need a hollywood scenarist next time.

Hellfire_WZ
13th November 2009, 09:28 PM
Would love to hook up with anyone who has the PC version at some point :)

rdmx
14th November 2009, 03:10 AM
Ordered the PC version for 50bucks AUS (half RRP price :D) so I should have it soon
Ping from AUS to UK though would be ridiculous to say the least >_>

Harvai
14th November 2009, 08:20 AM
Now 120 Australian dollars for a game. After a quick conversion it works out at just over SIXTY SEVEN POUNDS!!! What?! Are you having a laugh? This outrageous price is just for this particular game yes?

I wish I was laughing, mate. I'd have stitches forever! There have been quite a few new release games coming out above AU$100, and good ol' EB seem to be leading the charge. However, if you're savvy, places like KMart, Target and Big W (oh how I love Big W!) will have it for cheaper.

On another note, finished it last night. Leaves itself open for a third installment (And knowing Activision, this is more than likely) The Aeroplane Graveyard mission is freakin' sweet.

Anybody found this 'Juggernaut' enemy yet? Looking though the artbook and saw an achievement for killing one, but I never came across one. Or maybe I did and Soap took him on...

rdmx
14th November 2009, 10:03 AM
I'm pretty sure the juggernaut is an enemy in spec ops.

infoxicated
14th November 2009, 01:45 PM
I still haven't opened my copy. Last night I played some San Andreas for a while, then switched to Rock Band and by the time I was done with that I was too tired for CoD!

Hopefully tonight I can do it some justice. :)

Rapier Racer
14th November 2009, 03:55 PM
You can never be too tired for COD! :P

Yes the juggernaut is in spec ops, don't just stand there and shoot at it is all I can say.

mdhay
14th November 2009, 05:59 PM
Got it today, finished it in 4-5 hours. SP length is a Bag O' ****. :(

Amorbis
14th November 2009, 06:47 PM
I missed on the opportunity to get it cheap from Morrisons, it went back up to £40 and the nearest Sainsburys is in Lancaster which is a bit far. I'll be holding off until I can get it for £30 for less.

The campaign does sound short from what I've heard, but lots of games do that these days. Most people buy games for online these days, after all. Which is CoD's case is fine as all the CoDs I've played are great online.

DrMannevond
14th November 2009, 08:26 PM
Well, I'm about 2/3 of the way through the PC single player on hardened, and well, it's hard, but awesome, even though the number of enemies on-screen at times is just frickin' ridiculous (but no infinite spawn, thank god!). Only problem I have is how insanely hectic the game is all the time. A quick breather now and then wouldn't hurt. As some reviewer said - It's like playing through a six hour long James Bond opening sequence:D

mdhay
14th November 2009, 09:34 PM
One word: Pause. :g

infoxicated
16th November 2009, 09:44 PM
I played a few missions last night, right up until the one where you're on US soil and then turned it off.

My first impressions are that, graphically it's superb, but gameplay wise it's just a re-hash of the previous Modern Warfare but with ridiculous James Bond moments thrown in to spice things up.

One thing I was looking forward to was the Brazilian shanty town mission, as there was a night time shanty town mission in SOCOM 2 where you could take multiple routes through the maze of buildings and come up with different strategies to complete the mission - it had bags of atmosphere. But with CoD 2 it's just a case of learning where the baddies pop up to kill you and then getting a little bit further on your next attempt. No point in being stealthy or methodical, 'cause once you trip that invisible trigger point they'll know where you are and appear from their spawn point.

This game is so frickin' linear, it might as well be Time Crisis with strafing.

Two points of ultimate fail; Blizzard level with Soap McScotsman when you're told to get to the far end of the base without being seen while Soap does some overwatch. I saw a good place to hide right around the corner from where you go solo, under a ramp leading up to a building on stilts. No can do, says the game designer - we don't want you to hide there, we've put an invisible wall there because we want to funnel you in behind the buildings so you can trip the dialogue trigger points and watch our "game" unfold.

Ever think of making a movie instead of a game, Infinity Ward? They're kind of like your game - except marginally less interactive.

Second point of ultimate fail; toward the end of the Brazilian shanty level where you have a clean shot on the bad guy I shot him in the foot. Turns out he's a chronic haemophiliac who dies even if you shoot him in the foot. Or the hand. Even with a pistol. I would have tried throwing a stick if I could find one, but he'd probably have dropped dead due to his chronic dendrophobia. Even if I just clipped an ear with a twig, instant tombstone from the bad guy - who's done surprisingly ****ing well to survive running across rooftops in the open, never mind the previous decades of his life until this point. Best I take a diversion around the rest of the twisting corridor in the shanty town, eh Infinity Ward? Wouldn't want the fact I'm a decent shot ruining how you want this scene to play out in your movie. I mean game. Or maybe I did mean movie.

So there you go - that's my summary thus far. Not impressed with late 90's AI in a game released just shy of 2010. I didn't get on with the forced control layout in Killzone 2, but their enemy AI at least gave their game some replay value. Glad I didn't pay full price for Modern Warfare 2.

mdhay
16th November 2009, 09:55 PM
I can imagine what IW would say to that:

"B...b-but the multiplayer's good, right?"

After having it for 2 days, I can't be arsed with it - I'm sticking to MGS/ Borderlands, I think. :rolleyes:

DawnFireDragoon
16th November 2009, 10:09 PM
i finished the game, but definitely think the original modern warfare was far superior, single player campaign wise.

i too got to the first american mission and i just thought....what? put it down for a bit, but then came back to it and finished it, the second half is much better, some really big things going on. graphically there is one mission in rain and darkness later in the campaign that is stunning...following something i thought was quite original and cool.

one major problem though, is that so much is set pieces or linear stuff, i swear it felt i only played about 4 hours and watched 2. especially one bit toward the end where i could have put my cats paw on the control and it would've completed that portion for me....probably get an achievement too! :P

i got it cheap, so i'm not too fussed, but i wouldn't have been happy if i'd bought it at GAME or Gamestation for some silly price.

i get some will disagree with that summary, but i was a tad dissapointed.

also, i want to get some peoples takes on a couple of things so shall start a thread containing spoilers. don't read it unless you finished the game.

(Merged the posts and hid spoilers with white text. Highlight text below to see spoilers. - SR)

There are two things i wanted to get peoples opinions on:

1. the level No Russion, yes, it DOES advance the plot...but why didn't you take out Makarov at the start, did i miss something plot related that meant we had to be undercover for a certain ammount of time, why not take him down when we arrived at the airport or the second he opened fire. i have no problem with the mission (as weird as it felt, pulling the trigger) but don't really get why it's going down that way, and thus the games overall plot.

2. you go through the whole game and don't take down Makalov, you get shafted by Shephard, then take him down just as quickly as he turned on you and that's it. i get it, they want to make MW3, and there's space for that, but was anyone else annoyed you have this build up to hating the guy, you even do the 'No Russion' mission, then you don't even get the guy.

on a plus note, i will say spec ops is awesome, the inclusion of the chernobyl snipping mission, available for two player co-op is great.

SaturnReturn
16th November 2009, 10:29 PM
Hi DawnFireDragoon

I merged the thread with your other post as I figured it didn't need another thread if we can hide text. Does the white text hide it sufficiently?

Lance
16th November 2009, 10:57 PM
This thread has some spoilers already, though, doesn't it?

SaturnReturn
16th November 2009, 11:03 PM
Another reason to merge the posts then I guess. I can't really tell the extent of the spoilers as I never played the game, but maybe Dawn's (can I call you Dawn :D) spoilers are more worth hiding? :shrug

DawnFireDragoon
17th November 2009, 01:51 AM
yes, they are worth hiding. spoilers are spoilers, and should always been hidden, or otherwise removed from direct attention, especially with a new game.

and yes the white seems to hide them fine, though i personally think a seperate spoiler thread would be easier overall, not having to hide everything and all.

But i digress, as no one has commented anyway, so it matters not!!!

Harvai
17th November 2009, 04:55 AM
I think you not killing Makarov is a blatant attempt at making a MW3. I was dissapointed by this. Mr Dragoon is right - you spend the whole game trying to take this guy down, and then they throw in something completley different for an 'ending'. I also find this with most games these days. I can't remember the last game I played that had a decent ending. Am I the only one who likes a decent ending?

RedScar
17th November 2009, 06:01 AM
You have to realize that this game is an action movie in disguise. Its IW's story so they told it like they wanted and you don't like it :P.

Played it at my buddies for like 2 seconds (literally, pulled the trigger on the controller then left). I was so not impressed how it looks EXACTLY LIKE CoD4. I don't care what you say, its an expansion pack in my eyes now and shouldn't warrent the price of a full game.

OBH
17th November 2009, 09:04 AM
spec-ops mission "breach and clear" on veteren just cannot be done i swear.

brainbeat
18th November 2009, 07:25 PM
hi im uploading a vid for the specops version but its on veteran too, same idea but u dont have to be as quick, oh and i have done story mode on veteran and was surprised how easy it was, compared to 4 and 5, the dsm level is a bugger though, just keep at it lol, ull know where i mean when u get hit by smoke grenades
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y17AGaPFgDk

RedScar
18th November 2009, 08:47 PM
Installed at 2 AM
Story mode beat at 6 AM (on regular)

4 hours, and I did not enjoy any of the missions like I did in CoD4. Even the ending was a slap in the face. Maybe its because I have to put half a mag into every enemy to put them down in SP where as in MP on hardcore I can drop someone with 2 9mm from my trusted M9 (best pistol in the game). Can't say I will replay it on a harder setting.

TO SPEC OPS!

RedScar
18th November 2009, 11:46 PM
Well Spec ops has its goods and bads. I'm sure that doing it alone kinda misses the point but meh. Don't enjoy most of these again, but its better then SP because at least I can quit out or restart if I'm not doing well.

Also OSH, see pic :P
It has TONS of room for me to improve, but I wanna get them all at least stared once b4 I go for times
Edit: ok I lied, I went and did a 22 second run but my graphics card decided to dumb out so my screen shot is gone. Will post a new one tomorrow.

infoxicated
19th November 2009, 03:38 PM
Holy crap RedScar - you're a machine right now! :clap

I'm trying to calm myself down with the game playing at the moment, as I have lots of stuff I need to clear up, but even if my weekends were completely free I don't think I could keep up that pace. :)

RedScar
19th November 2009, 10:04 PM
Here be the screen. I found my install file for fraps today also, gonna see how well my PC runs with it and if I can maybe record some vids. B&C isn't that hard. Breach, fire 1 mag. Reload, fire that mag, grenade launcher, grenade, flash, switch to shotty, RUN LIKE HELL!
I've fallen in love with the spec-op vers of cliff hanger. I can stealth the entire mission. Even though I've beaten it I keep redoing it for some reason lol.

kanar
20th November 2009, 07:31 AM
Multiplayer rulez; took my first nuclear strike in the face last night. Impact time; 1H02am, didn't expect to see a 25 kill streak, was so stunned that I went to bed right after that. Hope I'll launch my own one day lol. What a game.

infoxicated
20th November 2009, 08:21 AM
This is royally off topic, so I wouldn't be surprised if Lance rips me a new one, but some of the comments made in this thread, and those where we've discussed other games, have brought to light the reality of actually playing a game as opposed to the hype or flowery writing you tend to get in reviews.

I remember being annoyed reading a Eurogamer WRC review one year, where the reviewer said that the difficulty step was too steep when you went to hard mode. He said that no matter what he did, his car was just too slow and this was a big failing of the game, and marked it down accordingly.

I asked the guy straight if he played the testing mode of the game, which as well as allowing you to practice ripping the car through a variety of road surfaces, corners, yumps and jumps, made your car improve over time as the testing was a game mechanic that allowed the engineering team to bring improvements to the car. I thought this was quite an elegant and realistic way of improving the performance of the car and rewarding people who were willing to practice.

This, of course, had been totally missed by the "reviewer" and he snapped back that he didn't have time to do that kind of thing when he was reviewing the game. This annoyed me all the more, because the fact he didn't have the time was no reason to mark the game down over something he failed to fully explore.

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is that I've learned more about games by reading well thought out criticisms by actual gamers than I have from reviews. It would be interesting to see how many times we've done this over the nearly 8 years this forum has been around. :)

Lance
20th November 2009, 12:54 PM
Infoxicated is hereby banned for one year for going offtopic for a single post. :g

abukii
20th November 2009, 01:25 PM
@ Infoxicated-- I dont think thats irrelevant at all. Comparitively speaking and using MW 2 as an example, you hit the nail on the head. It wouldnt be OT if you said MW 2 was a great game and youre having fun, so I dont think its OT for saying youre not happy with the rating system and reviews vs. hype vs. gameplay. You were just a bit more detailed ;)
WRC is an awesome game btw.

As for MW 2, Im pretty straight with it. I played MW 1 only briefly and on PC. I played online on the 360 on launch. Couldnt get into it. To me, it could be the best game EVAR but if the community in which supporting the game is saturated with adolescence, it quickly falls to the bottom of my list. SOCOM Confrontation and WarHawk sometimes come to mind with that said. But its unavoidable for the most part...

infoxicated
20th November 2009, 03:36 PM
Hmmm.

I like this idea.

Anyone fancy joining me in writing a gaming blog?

There must be enough of us on here who play enough games and can write eloquently enough that it would make for good reading.

Amorbis
20th November 2009, 05:55 PM
I used to write for a gaming blog which has since gone into obscurity. It wasn't an easy thing to do with people to please and content to get in daily. I made a few enemies when I wrote a review of a popular game and I pointed out some of its flaws, I think it must have been the most commented on article for the wrong reasons. It wasn't all bad though, a couple of the other writers were very friendly and before I expressed my opinion too much my article responses were generally positive.

If you do go ahead and create a blog I'd go for a more niche subject. If you have too broad a spectrum you will be up against all the other blogs out there.

mdhay
20th November 2009, 10:06 PM
Anyone fancy joining me in writing a gaming blog?

I'd be up for that. Something like this needs a young opinion. :)

infoxicated
20th November 2009, 11:07 PM
Well that's me ****ed!

Nice idea while it lasted, though. :P

mdhay
21st November 2009, 09:41 AM
Oh, cheers! Nice to know where I stand on this one. :g

abukii
21st November 2009, 01:03 PM
I used to write for a magazine, was on a podcast, wrote for a table-top miniatures company and now I am writing TT. I have a following LoL...so yea, if this ever sheds light, count me in.

*reference upon request*

infoxicated
21st November 2009, 02:42 PM
Heh! I'm all out of references! ;)

I'll start a new topic for this because this is for CoD and I've derailed it enough. :)

DrMannevond
22nd November 2009, 10:54 PM
One word: Pause. :g

I know, I know. Only problem is I've been playing lots of Dragon Age too, so now I have a bad tendency to hit 'space' (pause button in DA, jump in MW..) and expect everything to freeze when I play MW. It usually ends messy.:lol
I'm also having some serious crashing issues with the multiplayer in MW (PC version). Basically every time I play everything works perfectly for a few matches, and then the whole thing just freezes at random. Anyone else have the same problem?

RedScar
23rd November 2009, 12:42 AM
Sounds like a hardware issue, like your system is overheating. Is it just game crash to desktop or is it a PC crash?

I've uninstalled my copy, don't enjoy most of the spec-ops and I've beaten the ones that I do on vet.

DrMannevond
23rd November 2009, 01:16 AM
The game works just fine in sp with all the settings except aa set to max, so I don't think it's an overheating issue. Multiplayer also plays just fine until it doesn't. The game freezes, and then changes its resolution to something my TV doesn't support which leads to a black screen, but the sound keeps playing. CtrlAltDel resolves it, and it works just fine again when I restart it, until the same thing happens again an hour later. Repeat infinitely.
Could be driver issues or something I guess (ATI...:rolleyes:), but this is the only game I have crashing like this. I'm leaning more towards either Steam doing something stupid in the background (nothing new there) or their new and shiny server-crap has some issues. Or it's something completely different:lol
I'll test it again when I get back from holiday in a couple of weeks. If it's still a problem then it's probably at my end.

OBH
23rd November 2009, 12:11 PM
almost finished spec ops on veteren now, just got "snatch and grab", "ambush" and the last 3.

hopefully ill get to see some 'zoners online soon.

YouAreFubar
23rd November 2009, 05:44 PM
Finally got back on it the other day after having to buy a new PS3 (bloody YLOD!). Started story mode again on Vet and finished it last night. Overall a good challenge, but not as difficult as COD4. Has anyone played the museum level yet? Once youve completed it, go to the mission selector and select museum. However, whatever you do....... Dont press the red button! (I wont spoil it)

Spec Ops is sweet as well, only played a few levels split screen with a mate but its surprisingly good. And of course the online is superb. I hear there are already map packs for spec ops and online in the pipeline (although microsoft paid to have first dibs).

mdhay
23rd November 2009, 05:48 PM
I pressed it. :bomb :lol

RedScar
23rd November 2009, 09:44 PM
Spec Ops is sweet as well, only played a few levels split screen with a mate but its surprisingly good. And of course the online is superb. I hear there are already map packs for spec ops and online in the pipeline (although microsoft paid to have first dibs).

They aren't making them, they are already made and built into the game. People who cracked the developer console on the PC have already found a bunch of content that was "left" out by IW.

abukii
23rd November 2009, 11:07 PM
Wow...this has been a bad day for me in terms of gaming. Pandemic closing and now devs pretty much egging on people to hack...I mean, Im indifferent, but if you only knew what I was going through....ugggghhhhh
:turd

OBH
25th November 2009, 05:45 PM
internets gonna be back in 0-10 days :) We should get some 'zoner 8 player "Rust" on the go :beer

Motorsagmannen
26th November 2009, 12:07 PM
i havent had this game for a long time at all, but after blasting through th SP campaign and some of the spec ops missions, ond thing really stuck...
they have stolen alot from BLACK, the brilliant ps2 game, both gameplay and aestethically.
#1, there is now alot more enemies at all times compared to MW1.
#2, the lighting and mood is set in a more similar fashion.( in the lack of better words. )
#3 the have stolen two scenes almost directly from the game. the first beeing the shower ( which BLACK first stole from "the Rock" :P). and the second beeing the spec ops mission on the bridge.
in itswlf this wasnt all bad but, it seems to me that they have taken a turn towards rampaging through missions rather than stealthing, except on the pure stealtg missions.
which makes the game feel less realistic than the previoius MW. i still think its an awesome game though, just a bit shifted in gameplay
EDIT: btw the multiplayer online seems excellent so far just as MW1, but once again BF has a better squadplay. i run it on ps3 hook me up for an online battle or spec up anytime im online :D

OBH
26th November 2009, 11:52 PM
my only grief with the game really is the ending, despite being quality in its own right, it isnt quite as epic as the first one :)

best bit is sgt. foley is voiced by the black matey from "the thing" :beer quality film.

RedScar
27th November 2009, 06:35 AM
Anyone who has finished the Single player will get a kick outta this speed run.
*SPOILERS!*
http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/mw2-20-second-speed-run/335159

What did you get it for OBH? PS3?

OBH
27th November 2009, 11:28 AM
of course :)

Dark_Phantom_89
8th January 2010, 03:32 PM
I'm risking people hating me for saying this, but am I the only person who actually didn't like this game? I was so relieved when I platinumed it so I could trade it in. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of FPS's, but felt that this one was missing something.

Mr Phlanj
8th January 2010, 04:08 PM
the problem is the maps, i feel that COD:4 had some of the best map layouts ever, but in 2 theres just too many roads you cant take because you have to get a sniper to counter snipe someone whos sitting in the tinyest of spaces 100000000 miles away with a sniper. At least on COD:4 the maps wernt as big so i could do it myself with a assult rifle it just ment i would die if i missed, not die without even being able to see the guy who killed me.

I still love the game tho I just feel thats what lets it down

TheFrostE
8th January 2010, 08:21 PM
i agree with you Dark ...except my dislike goes deeper than just this installment...is it just me or is there any one else who just isnt a fan of the COD series from the get go?...

psh, give me TF2 or counterstrike source...even 1.6 . THOSE were excellent FPSs . it doesnt have to be beautiful or realstic to be good

Dark_Phantom_89
8th January 2010, 08:32 PM
Finally, someone who agrees with me :D

OBH
15th January 2010, 01:24 PM
As much as i agree the original MW maps were better, MW2 is a far better multiplayer game -- Its perks, double attachments, new weapons, custom secondary weapons, riot shields, custom air support, killstreaks, and custom split screen profiles clearly justify that fact. If they released the original maps as an addon youd all be laughing! Roll on overgrown with a silencer and a heartbeat sensor :beer

Single player though; MW wins hands down. Better levels, better ending, and taking out indefinate respawning enemies from veteren made is so much easier. Took weeks to finish the original on Vet, took 2 days this time.

Tho the biggie is that Chopper Gunner is so inslanely overpowered. They were clever enough to make the AC 130 require reloading much more often than in spec-ops, yet the chopper gunner requires no reloading, isnt destroyed in a single hit, and being able to CURL EXPLOSIVE ROUNDS AROUND CORNERS ISNT A CLEVER IDEA :) though im as guilty of milking it as the rest of them......

Dark_Phantom_89
15th January 2010, 02:08 PM
OBH - I found the online matchmaking to be terrible. I was Rank 6 getting put in games against Rank 60 and 70 people.

Mr Phlanj
15th January 2010, 02:52 PM
yer it dosnt matchmake on your lvl it just finds open spots in games and it wont reward you for killing i greater ranking player. CoD:WaW had a good idea of having a bootcamp that once u reach lvl 8 (i think) you cant go back into bootcamp. they did one big misshap with that tho and that was you can join bootcamp at any lvl if u could press the buttons quick enuff, but i thought it was a good idea.

Harvai
16th January 2010, 07:54 AM
I find there's personal satisfaction in beating higher ranking players. Especially prestiging players!

Not many people on Xbox LIVE pay attention to footsteps, so I'm having a great time with the Ninja Pro perk, which quietens your footsteps so they're barley audiable. Combine that with silenced weapons and people don't know what's going on! got an 8 kill streak running around one of the buildings on Highrise because people couldn't hear me! Good times.

infoxicated
19th January 2010, 08:42 PM
I completed the single player the other night. It's a good looking game, but the story is both ridiculous and entirely predictable, the AI is primitive, and the whole deal with the player character being a bullet magnet at all times just removes any sense that you're in a battle with the non-player characters.

It'll be going to someone on the other side of ebay at the end of the month and I'll be getting MAG - I had more fun playing the Beta of that over one weekend than I've had in Modern Warfare 1 & 2.

RedScar
21st January 2010, 10:01 PM
Wow, surprised this thread still exists, lol.
I've got (since X-mas) the PC verison and am currently lvl 62. The MP has its high points but mostly its the low points. Tubes have ruined the game completely, and with no dedicated servers to enforce anti-tube rules it becomes disc snapping rage worthy. Me and my buddies usually play HC:HQPro, so ppl don't even need to use danger close to kill. We have adopted a new rule. We all have a tube kit (I call mine "4th Lvl of Hell") of 203, thumper, danger close, with scavenger optional. We don't use this kit till we see a tube BUT the second we do, hell is unleashed. It rains (literally sometimes) tubes and usually brings about a mass rage quit fest. Its a bitch tactic but I've lost all patience with those who tube that I would rather do this then argue with them over it.

That and the PC version along with steam is broke as sin. Hosts randomly crash after 1 or 2 times hosting back to back. Lag is noticeable in 40% of all games. Hacking is rampant and unchecked, most people don't even try to hide it. Party system has a few bugs causing one person to be dropped by the party when joining games. Map rotation is broken, you play the same maps almost back to back since host switches. The list goes on.

Its still the only thing I have to play since I played TF2 and BF2 to death. Nothing beats earning an AC130 and calling it in to protect the HQ, but there are so many flaws in the game that you are immediately reminded that IW couldn't code a tetris game correctly. Treyarch is a much better developer, I don't care if ppl don't like W@W, it in terms of community support is light years ahead of any POS IW releases.

Also, Vector + Dual Glocks with extended mag = spray fest :)

rdmx
22nd January 2010, 11:24 AM
Heh you have the same system I do when it comes to tubing - don't tube unless tubed upon first (it's a guilty pleasure >_>).
Apparently the hosting crash problems are fixed if you opt into the steam client beta as its a crash within a steam dll.

RedScar
23rd January 2010, 04:37 AM
Does anyone else have this for the PC (to lazy to read entire thread)?
I'd love to play against/with some other Zoners, just add TehRedScar on your steam.

rdmx
23rd January 2010, 05:15 AM
Problem with trying to play someone in canada is that the time zones will be horrendous, also the ping will be horrible since I'm in Australia :S

yeldar2097
24th January 2010, 02:03 AM
Just played online/single player for the first time - me likey ^_^

Harvai
24th January 2010, 03:02 AM
There's only really a few things I don't like about MW2 MP;

Akimbo (more like Trollkimbo) Model 1887s: IW brought out a 'fix' that can be 'un-fixed', meaning you can still get killed by these things from miles away.

Commando Pro + Tactical Knife: Holy hell have I received some rage-inducing, Halo-esque knife lunges. Nothing a Spas-12 can't fix, though.

The other thing, I still seem to find that the game decides that joining a game with an American host is the best thing for me (in Australia). I can still hold my own with my wonderfull connection, but it means I resort to bullet hoses and toobs instead of trying to be sneaky-sneaky with my silenced FAL (trying to get the thermal scope, are they any good?).

Besides that, this is great fun to play with, especially with some friends on the same team. Predator missile kills on Pave Lows are awesome.

rdmx
24th January 2010, 03:39 AM
Thermal scopes for anything but sniper rifles are nigh unusable due to its recoil - this is not as much an issue if you are playing only hardcore game modes as a single shot or two from a gun will usually kill but if you prefer softcore like I do, the thermal scope is only for shits and giggles (vector thermal anyone?)
Additionally, even in hardcore, most people are going to be using cold-blooded because perks like stopping power usually aren't needed to boost damage - but don't let what I'm saying put you off, try it out first and see if you like it.

yeldar2097
24th January 2010, 11:52 AM
Can I just ask, how the bloody hell do I learn about all the funky gubbins in this game? Was playing MP last night and there was all manner of stange noises coming from every direction. Turrets? Harriers? Call Packages? What?!?!
Ok those are actually pretty obvious but I still don't know what a Holographic sight does...

mdhay
24th January 2010, 12:48 PM
http://callofduty.wikia.com/wiki/Holographic_Sight :+

rdmx
24th January 2010, 02:48 PM
In cod, the holographic sight is basically a fancier red dot sight - in real life it basically uses mirrors and you don't need to have your head oriented straight on to see what you're aiming at.

RedScar
24th January 2010, 06:46 PM
Problem with trying to play someone in canada is that the time zones will be horrendous, also the ping will be horrible since I'm in Australia :S

I was up till 4AM this morning playing :P. Worked on my homework all day so 12-4 was CoD time. Just add me on steam :P

I disagree Harvai, all of the shotties have **** range, and the models are so nerfed that I don't see many using them. The Dual glocks are more OP in my opinion, with scavenger and steady aim they are better then any other gun at close range.

Commando is this games "poop grenade", if I could transmit my murderous intent through the internet everyone who uses it would run in fear. I don't come across it to often, but on maps like skidrow and invasion it shows its ugly head. Dual glocks (or a striker with extended mage :) )beat it most of the time, but the idea of lunging 5 feet blows my mine, someone in IW smokes crack.

The advantage of the holo vs the red dot in MW2 is that the holo is not 100 red, its semi transparent so you can see your target in the dot easier at longer distance. I find that I lose my target sometimes with the red dot, so I stick to the holo or acog.

The thermal is ok on HQ on say wasteland or derail, but anything else and your asking for trouble. HQ almost no one uses SP/P, so it next to useless. I've seen quite a few thermal FAL's, but my biggest issue with them is that the time it take to bring the sight up is to slow if you and your enemy see each other at the same time you will usually loss, you might as-well just use the WA2000 or M21. That said some ppl like me who jump back and forth between soft and hardcore so I generally keep SP/P on my sub and assault kits. I do have a dedicated stealth kit and stinger kit which have it, so if I find I'm getting sniped a bit to much I can jump to those.

rdmx
25th January 2010, 01:26 PM
Dual glocks are about as ridiculous as the pre nerf 1887s and I wouldn't be suprised if they are nerfed sooner or later - myself I'm fond of quick scoping, none of that poncy camping for me thanks - doesn't look good for my kdr but it's fun.

Amorbis
25th January 2010, 05:19 PM
Redscar has a point, Commando is quite annoying on the small maps, I cringe when I watch the kill cam only to see the person warp a few feet to hit me or the knife appear to magically slice me from where the person was standing.

I'm currently addicted to care packages. I have both care packages and the big four package drop thing. They are quite close to cheating when you get an EMP, Pavelow and turret all in one go, but I do have to get eight kills by myself first. I should try some more streak bonuses, but my helicopters always seem to be a bit too relaxed in terms of killing anything. I much prefer the ones that rely on user input, such as air strikes and predators.

RedScar
25th January 2010, 10:27 PM
I choose to play MW2 specifically not caring for kdr. I can usually keep it at or around 1.7 like I did in BF2 or CoD4, but I have more fun running around with tactical knife (BUT no commando) sometimes.

Best round ever, was playing with Hei and NYC|Vash, im third on my team I think.

rdmx
26th January 2010, 01:24 AM
OMG CAMPER :P I don't see anyone get scores like that unless they are camping and going for nuke.

RedScar
26th January 2010, 08:24 PM
Well when our entire team rushes to get the flag, someone has to stay on defence. I didn't just stand in one place, but I still cover the back half of the map. Camping is what happens in TDM or FFA, you can't camp in an objective based mode :P. I had two harriar strikes, 2 chopper gunners, and someone else earned an AC130 and got one from a care package as well.

I did get a nuke (my first) yesterday on scrapyard. We had like a 12-0 cap score to so it was cruel I think. Presiteged last night also, I want more create a kits.

PS: What is your steamID already

yeldar2097
26th January 2010, 11:17 PM
On PS3 was anyone getting a ridiculous amount server relocation followed by error message?

Or is that normal? I don't know yet. Played Submarine something-or-other today. First map I actively dislike :P

RedScar
26th January 2010, 11:21 PM
WHAT! Sub Base is one of the best and balanced maps in the game unlike estate, rust, scrapyard, and terminal (although I like terminal, it is far from balanced).

The most recent patch messed up server hosting on the PC (host would crash after hosting 1 round), which they have fixed. The patches take longer to deploy on the consoles due to hardware and console specific problems than IW can patch straight away on steam, so it maybe is the patch we got which broke it and they haven't released the one that fixed it.

yeldar2097
26th January 2010, 11:47 PM
Me no likey. Not a good map for n00bs with L86 LSW's *ahem* guilty *ahem*

That, and I suck massively ^_^

I got nuked 4x during an hour-long session today. They're following me, I can tell.

:g

Harvai
27th January 2010, 08:28 AM
Well when our entire team rushes to get the flag, someone has to stay on defence.

Ah, so you're playing on the PC I suppose? Xbox kiddies have no idea what the word 'teamwork' means... Played 3 games of Headquaters Pro, with me holding the team up in kills and HQ destroying. With one red bar for connection. Seriously, everyone would run around the map aimlessly and not give a stuff about the actual headquarters. I quit after losing 200-0 3 times in a row...

Also, Mini-Uzi and UMP45 FTW

RedScar
27th January 2010, 05:10 PM
I tried to use the the UMP (umpus as I call it) during my initial play though and for the life of me couldn't do well with it. Since I prestieged I began using it (since I didn't have my beloved vector yet, I now do) and I must say that I seem to do much better this time around. Still prefer the vector since it has no recoil with the iron sights what so ever and fires quicker, but I will do the gun challenges on for the UMP then move on. I still miss the scorpion from CoD4, surpressed that thing had no recoil and on HC it outclassed all other guns.

Haven't used the mini-uzi save when I pick it up when outta ammo. Has a lot less recoil this time around due to the fact that it now has a stock on it, but I still don't like it to much.

Vash (one of the dudes I play with) put it best Harvai, Rename FFA and TDM as dick around and rename any objective game mode as TDM, because that is how they are played. I detest HC:TDM since it is ALL camping, I have yet to see a HCTDM round reach the 75 kill limit since everyone camps. I go to play objective based modes like SAB and I can plant the bomb like 5 times, and no one on the team defends it, enemy plants it once and they defend it, we lose. Frustrating!

RedScar
30th January 2010, 09:21 AM
Challenge, play 3rd person team tactical vs someone using commando
Result, you see that the warp distance is XBOX huge

Seriously, me and a buddy ran into a 4v4 where the other 4 were using MT,LW and Commando. I've never wanted to reach through the internet and slap someone so hard.
After I left that I played some merc TDM, got an AC-130 like 5 rounds straight (epic wasteland AC-130 streak). I'm really liking the normal percision airstrike now, with a UAV up you can do a lot of damage.

Dark_Phantom_89
30th January 2010, 09:39 AM
On PS3 was anyone getting a ridiculous amount server relocation followed by error message?

Yep, I got that all of the time - really annoyed me

Amorbis
31st January 2010, 04:31 PM
Not to be boastful, but I really felt like sharing this abnormality I had today whilst playing team deathmatch on Wasteland:
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/ao/Leftovers/dsc00054.jpg

I've never had so much good fortune on COD before that. The enemy team decides to take cover in the bunker from all the air support whizzing around, but they couldn't take cover against my explosives. Two heli-gunners helped too. I doubt I'll ever get a score that high again. :eek

Harvai
2nd February 2010, 01:20 AM
Has anybody raged hard at people using the Care Package Marker glitch? Y'know, the one where people get the Care Package killstreak and then run around with the marker grenade that makes them 60% faster? Combine that with Commando and Marathon Pro and you've got a sprinting, knifing nightmare.

Some dickbag was using this on the lower level of Highrise, and instead of getting mad, I got even. Akimbo Rangers beats knife. Forever.

XBARNSTERX
2nd February 2010, 01:24 AM
I just got my akimbo rangers yesterday. having lots of fun with them:D

RedScar
2nd February 2010, 02:19 AM
Has anybody raged hard at people using the Care Package Marker glitch? Y'know, the one where people get the Care Package killstreak and then run around with the marker grenade that makes them 60% faster?

They haven't patched that out on the consoles? I had that patch a long time ago on the PC, although commando is still gay.

am I the only one who hates the akimbo rangers? I'd rather use the striker any day. Striker kicked ass in BF2 and its kicks ass in MW2, not at extended mag yet

yeldar2097
2nd February 2010, 01:39 PM
By level 26 one should have seen all the maps right?

Played one I'd never seen yesterday and today I played another one called 'Rust'. How many sodding maps are there?

Amorbis
2nd February 2010, 05:22 PM
I think I must have been around level 30 when I'd seen all the maps. I played rust quite late on, it seems it isn't a very popular map when it comes to voting, in my experience anyway. I didn't play Highrise until quite late on either, I have no idea why. Unless maps have different chances of appearing on different game modes.

XBARNSTERX
2nd February 2010, 06:33 PM
Well i've only ever played FFA and TDM. I've only come across derail on TDM, so i think your right. I'm not even sure if i've been on all the maps myself:|

Harvai
3rd February 2010, 08:44 AM
You mean they've patched out the Care Package glitch on the PC? Wow, consoles get the bum steer again.

My only complaint with akimbo Rangers is the reload time. For guns with a total of four shots, you think it'd reload a wee bit quicker.

I believe I've seen all the maps you can play on, and I'm lvl 46. Fortunately, Underpass rarely comes up and I always put a vote to skip it. What a **** of a map that one is...

yeldar2097
3rd February 2010, 11:41 AM
I like scrapyard with my newly unlocked akimbo P90's. I don't think I'll ever feel more badass....until I unlock akimbo Uzis. Reminds me of Timesplitters and Tomb Raider 2 :g

Lance
3rd February 2010, 03:04 PM
...although commando is still gay.

Don't make me stomp you [figuratively] if you use "gay" as a negative adjective again. It's really insulting to gay people, including me.

RedScar
3rd February 2010, 05:36 PM
my bad lance, its a habit I've developed from highschool and still an ignorant teenager.
commando is still bull **** *

The map rotation system is broken because of the hosting method. I played skidrow last night...5 rounds in a row. Me and 3 others were playing CTF and everytime the round ended we would get either a host error or the game would just put us back to our private lobby. Click to join CTF again and we are put into skidrow. Its a horrible map, and 5 times of horrible was frustrating. We still won all those rounds since we are playing against un-coordinated randoms or parties of 2, but ya. I'm only a fan of a few maps this time around, sub base, invasion, afgan and sometimes quarry. The rest are horribly designed for objective based modes which is usually all I play.

What are you all using for Callsigns and emblems? I find it probably the most interesting part of the game is seeing ppl using certain setups. I wish you could do customs, although that would just lead to anime and porn ones on the PC. I use these

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/callofduty/images/5/59/Shock_and_AweTitle.jpg http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/callofduty/images/1/10/Emblem-f15.jpg

http://callofduty.wikia.com/wiki/Callsigns

yeldar2097
3rd February 2010, 07:22 PM
I have a dutch flag and a flower because I'm a pansy

:g

RedScar
3rd February 2010, 09:40 PM
you can also use
http://forums.modernwarfare247.com/index.php?/topic/11207-beta-callsign-generator/
to make it :P

Harvai
4th February 2010, 09:17 AM
Still haven't found a good emblem to go with the Crackin' Skulls title. Also changed my clan tag from AUS to what you see in lieu of what happened over at Studio Liverpool.

Hit me up on XBL if you want!

http://i47.tinypic.com/rcm045.png

RedScar
8th February 2010, 06:20 PM
http://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/natural/b2e3b8763efe73e7243145c9966050323fb7a819.png

Had this game last week on Wed or Thurs. 5 of us named after the matrix joined a CTF (or as agent smith calls it "rape train has no brakes") and I got an AC-130 without killstreaks, used it, died, used my saved harrier and PredM to get another. I didn't camp :P, I got 2 of those caps myself. I'm surprised that on a map like skidrow the AC130 was as useful as it was. With the 5 of us, we win like 95% of our CTF games, only map we consistently lose on is Favela, since its possible to run the flag across the map quickly. That said, this is also possible on scrap yard but its way to easy to die on scrap yard. Still not the epic terminal match, but 9-2 is still a steamroll.

rdmx
10th February 2010, 08:28 AM
Damn that's pretty good - and they couldn't take it out?
Bear in mind I'm pretty sure you can't use killstreaks earned in previous lives to count to your current killstreak, otherwise you could just get ac130s repeatedly

RedScar
10th February 2010, 05:19 PM
Only certain killstreak don't count towards your next killstreak. Those include the AC-130, chopper gunner, and anything from a supply crate (either 4 KS, 8 KS, or sentry). However, if you save a Pavelow, Harrier and PredM, and use it on your next life, they will count towards your killstreak just so long as you stay alive in the same life that you used (not the life you got it) it. I'm unsure if the stealth bomber or normal airstrike do, because I don't use them as my killstreaks that often. You also have to get a kill first in that life before you use the killstreaks to count towards your new ones. I got a couple kills, called in my harrier, then pred, then harrier earned me another pred, which earned me another harrier and then an AC-130. Its evil have that much airsupport up at one time :).

It is the easiest way to build a loop of KS if you are aiming for that style of play, which on Merc TDM I normally do since its all about kills. Rarly on objective games do I play like that, it just so happened that this happened on this day since we were playing choke point maps like skid and underpass which require extreme teamwork to get the flag from a defensive team. A 105 followed by some 40mm will quickly rid the flag area of campers and allow for at least a single if not more caps to happen.

Taking out an AC-130 takes 3 stingers (2 flares, 1 for finisher) unless you wait, since it gets new flares every 10 secs. If you are alone in your mission to shoot it down it is near impossible to shoot it down in the 40 sec time that its up unless you purposely kill yourself or find extra ammo somehow. I will kill myself and switch to my AA kit when I hear harriers or heli inbound just because I know what comes after if they aren't shot down. Thus I rarly encounter an AC-130 or chopper gunner, and if I do I tend to shoot it down. Two ppl can make quick work of it but I have only ever come across this once in all the time I've used it. In fact I rarly see anyone take a shot at it since you can't do it alone, they generally just hide in buildings ASAP although on objective maps ppl will still attempt to defend so they risk it more often.

Z°ⁿε
11th February 2010, 05:25 AM
This is why i quit this garbage game a while ago.

Stop complaining about perks, really. Your just mad because you get caught ill prepared. Commando doesn't win the game automatically, Commando doesn't give the user free kills/points.. If someone isn't educated enough to see that perks are all relative, then they deserve to get pWNDed up the shiz track->:donut

Beast players don't complain like this because they accept all types of players.. and in the process, they tell em' to sit down.

Harvai
11th February 2010, 10:24 AM
Half the time I raeg about Commando is the Halo-esque knife lunges which doesn't really fit with this game. I know that a way to deal with commando is to pack a shotgun (which I do anyway, and it's jolly great fun, too)

rdmx
11th February 2010, 10:53 AM
Problem with that - everyone says 'just shoot knifers', hard to do that when ppl have host advantage + also being in aus and it feels like it takes a full second to register your shots

RedScar
11th February 2010, 10:34 PM
I don't complain about commando because I get owned with it. I complain because it is so STUPID, even from a balance point of view. I maybe get killed with it say once a round, which is way less then I am tubed, but somehow it makes me more frustrated. Hell, I saw a teammate running around on rundown, he went 29-7 (no killstreaks)!!!! I only went 23-11 with an ACR and striker, and I was killing arse. So either he is amazing or he was host and the 0.5 sec lag bonus he has was enough that he wouldn't die. There is no natural counter to commando like all other perks/equipment. Cold blooded counters airsupport, ninja counters heartbeat sensor, blast shield attempts to counter danger close, but nothing counters commando directly.

I got another nuke yesterday, 34-7 on scrapyard. Scrapyard is the only maps that I've gotten them on, and I absolutely hate it lol.

Harvai
14th February 2010, 06:48 AM
Problem with that - everyone says 'just shoot knifers', hard to do that when ppl have host advantage + also being in aus and it feels like it takes a full second to register your shots

I have to deal with this as well. Makes me feel so happy when I (finally) join a game with an Aussie host.

Had my best game of 27-5 the other day on Skidrow. Two predators and a Harrier will do that.

RedScar
6th March 2010, 05:47 PM
Well after some more CTF runs last night, we came pretty close to equaling the 17-0 victory but no luck. Still great rounds though, as per usual I'm on D since we have 2 or 3 runners, so it makes getting a chopper gunner easy. I'm Jester, it was top gun call sign night so I'm playing with Maverick, Goose, Iceman, and Merlin.

yeldar2097
19th March 2010, 03:56 PM
Quick (very N00bworthy) question: Is it impossible to select early killstreaks if you have already got a later killstreak waiting?

I use the harrier strike thingy and I also have UAV but if I haven't used my UAV it's quite hard to tell where to put the strike. Annoying for me :nod

rdmx
20th March 2010, 02:50 AM
Nah you can't unfortunately.
At least you can use older killstreaks in this one unlike cod4 where if you got an airstrike, you couldnt use your uav anymore or if you got a heli you couldnt use your airstrike.

Harvai
20th March 2010, 07:24 AM
Getting a harrier strike at the same time as the enemy getting a counter-UAV is even more annoying. It's like playing darts blindfolded!

rdmx
20th March 2010, 08:57 AM
I don't know about you but it always seems like I'm the only one who ever ever uses UAV or counter uav - everyone instead tries for harrier/chopper >_>

yeldar2097
20th March 2010, 12:41 PM
I've never stopped using UAV or Care Package...mainly because my highest killstreak is something MASSIVE like 7 or so :lol

I also have an epic <1 K/D ratio (can't remember the exact number but it's not pretty).

Kill some peeps, go for Base/HQ, capture/get shot, rinse/repeat :g

Another question: Is there anything I can do to decrease the massive lag that I seem to get during gameplay (besides getting a better internet connection)?
- I have a habit of watching people killing me on killcam and people always seems to see me on their screen for a much longer period of time than they have been on my screen (or I'm just slow :P).
e.g. One guy came into a room with Akimbo 1887's (I hate those things), saw me and took his shot with one of them. He missed, so he took a shot with another and missed again ( well he hit but didn't kill). So then he polished me off with the 1st one that had since reloaded and was now primed to fire again.
That was killcam. According to what I could see on my screen, I saw him come into the room (I was hiding in a corner :P) and I was toast after only getting 1 shot off (P90).

Please tell me I'm mad and that it's just the game teasing and playing mindgames with me because that kind of lag is just :bomb:brickwall. I hope it's just some kind of blip/bug :beer

RedScar
20th March 2010, 04:37 PM
Yeld its all thanks to the fail system that IW has used for the MW2 system. It promotes US based servers. I was in a server at like 2:30 in the morning a few weeks back, and all of a sudden an entire clan from New Zealand joined. Now since I was playing with a buddy, it made him host. Everyone but the host, some pug, and myself was laggin hardcore and they kept bitching for us to leave. They ended up leaving after I say "screw you". I believe that after a certain time it tries to swap up server location, but I have seen a lot of Euro players join US servers.

I will swap out to UAV sometimes, but generally I stick with 5,7,11. Right now I'm running 5,7,9 (stealth bomber) because I'm going for the killstreak challenges. All I have left is the useless steath bomber, emp and nuke. Once I'm done stealth I will prob start to run different setups though, I love the sentry sometimes but its a pain to call it in. The air power bonus of a harrier or higher KS is defiantly more of an advantage then UAV I'd say, and UAV is almost useless in hardcore since everyone is running cold blooded.

Harvai, its worse then playing lawn dart. If there is a counter UAV and you call in something it will drop it at a random location I believe. Just save it and if you haven't died, go hid in a corner to keep the killstreak going

Amorbis
20th March 2010, 05:51 PM
I have a habit of watching people killing me on killcam and people always seems to see me on their screen for a much longer period of time than they have been on my screen

That happens to me often, the events in the kill cam are inconsistent with what happened on my side of the connection. I'm guessing it's lag, as the person that kills you probably has a better connection so they will be a few milliseconds in the future. Either that or we're both mad. :dizzy

rdmx
21st March 2010, 09:48 AM
The thing about picking higher killstreaks is that I (and plenty others) tend to take out air support as soon as it arrives with a nice bunch of stinger missiles. Harriers explode the moment they appear, so do chopper gunners. Even ac130s go down fairly quickly with a bit of teamwork
While the UAV may not give yourself as many direct points, it gives your team a significant advantage and contributes to the overall success of the team.

yeldar2097
21st March 2010, 12:19 PM
I'll just pretend my UAV usage is tactical then :P

I suppose it also depends a bit on what mode you play, or the kind of room you're in. Sometimes Air Support is completely pointless cos it gets shot, or nobody seems to care that they're being shot by the same chopper every time they respawn. Weird that. What I find hilarious is when you have some kind of Hit-Squad on the other team that abolutely blitzes you: my whole team got pinned down in Highrise Domination by snipers yesterday. In the entire round I got 2 kills, nobody else got any. I lol'd, big time.

Some really annoying people make a habit of shooting down my measly UAVs....grrrr :g

RedScar
21st March 2010, 05:17 PM
While you may shoot down the airsupport insertcoin, there is still a significant number of people who don't. Of all my games, only about 5% are facing a team willing to switch to a stinger kit. You have to remember that UAV's can also be shot down, and if I have my stinger class selected I will find the SOB and shoot it down :P. I find that if you are playing softcore, knowing where the enemy is doesn't really help much since everyone is running around like a chicken with their heads cut off anyway. In hardcore where it is much more useful, it not as effective since most people will have CB. There are exceptions to this but this is what I've found most often.

Personally, I have a dedicated CB kit so that even you have a UAV you still won't see me. Then I just play off my teammates who attract the enemy and get some easy kills.

YouAreFubar
25th March 2010, 09:32 PM
Mapathy (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/mapathy-dlc-modern-warfare/63645) - A terrible condition that inflicts many MW2 players....... :redface:

RedScar
25th March 2010, 09:40 PM
So they include 2 old maps that everyone already knows the start routes, HQ and domination spawns, frag and sniping spots. And they are two of the worst maps from CoD4 also.

Stupid Activision and IW net, I'm not spending a dime on the map pack.

YouAreFubar
25th March 2010, 09:44 PM
Tbh Overgrown is my favourite map from COD4, im looking forward to playing it on MW2. And I also rate Crash as being one of the better maps from COD4. Dont forget, there is 4 new maps as well and map packs of the past have only had 4 in them, your getting 6 this time round!

RedScar
25th March 2010, 09:51 PM
I hate crash, its a complete spawn rape once one team gets caught up in the higher corner. Then you only have two routes out and you can camp them super easy. Its almost exactly the same on the lower half, but its slightly easier to break out of. Overgrown was ok, but the last thing I want is another map that encourages useless snipers to play an objective mode and camp.

The other 4 maps will most likely be un-balance much like the current batch of maps is, with no thought on where the bomb sites for demo/search go.

Give me backlot, bloc, district and vacant on top of 6 new maps then I might shell out $10. 6 maps for 1/4 of the original price is BS.

RedScar
11th April 2010, 06:15 AM
I assume that anyone who is playing this knows about the map pack. Personally, Activision can go fall into traffic for all I care, I'm not paying $15 for 3 new maps and 2 olds ones of which 1 I hate with a passion. Anyone else getting (of have it for u 360 owners) it?

rdmx
11th April 2010, 06:31 AM
I just hope they don't make you have to pay if on PC - nobody will buy it if this is the case. Considering it costs US$90 here on steam, I can only wonder what the price would be for the DLC :|
The community is fractured enough without having to split it even more by adding paid DLC.

RedScar
11th April 2010, 07:23 PM
No dedicated servers and a complete port from the console version. I'd be surprised if Activision didn't make us pay. I would get to laugh then at all the 360 owners though.

Amorbis
11th April 2010, 07:38 PM
I would have thought that the purpose of removing modding tools and dedicated servers was so they could charge for things like DLC, if people can't download user maps for free then they're more likely to pay for some new (or old) ones.

I'll buy the map pack on PS3 if it's around £10, at least the maps won't be terribly overpriced then. The inclusion of old maps doesn't bother me, I'm quite glad they did it. I was fondly surprised about the inclusion of an old map in the COD4 map pack, a reskinned version of Carentan from COD 1 and 2. Even Wasteland in the existing MW2 map list is a renewed version of Brecourt from COD1/2, but on COD1/2 it was about sniping and not tubing.

If I don't buy the new maps now I'll get them on sale, if that happens.

Dan Locke
11th April 2010, 08:01 PM
Just to clear things up: "JayMinerFan" in this game is actually my little brother using my account.

BearAlmighty182
11th April 2010, 08:03 PM
I myself will be buying the Stimulus map pack when finally released for us ps3 users. Im not particularly bothered about the price and have made no fuss of 360 users getting the content first. Im not what you would call a cod fanatic but do have a penchant for snipe and stalk. Many of my friends spend literally All of their time playing cod and nothing else to be frank i find it rather dull. I enjoy the variety of different genres and different challanges. This map pack will at very least give me an excuse to bang it back on for a while until undoubtably will eventually become stale again. The lure of double points will keep me interested and the old cod4 maps will act as nostalgia. i personally am dissapointed at no new special ops missions....

RedScar
11th April 2010, 08:22 PM
@Amorbis

Wasteland (Brecourt) was an amazing map in CoD 1/2 because of the game, Wasteland in MW2 is just a cluster----. To many snipers sitting there doing nothing, and almost no cover from airsupport unless you go into the tunnel of doom. I LOVED Carentan and its re-new Chinatown in CoD4, but that is because the game was still based mostly on gunplay, and most servers I played in banned tubes and launchers. Now you will be lucky to play Wasteland on the PC, it and scrapyard are almost always voted straight off without having to ask the players. Something is wrong with a map when I can get tubed off the spawn. Its fun like 1/10 I play it, and that is usually because its one of the more challenging CTF maps since the run distance is quite long and has no cover, which means teamwork becomes important.

Harvai
13th April 2010, 01:40 AM
I've got the 360 version of the game and I'm loathed to buy the DLC. I might get it when the price comes down (if the price comes down). Also, for a lot of people, the map pack DLC didn't work. So all the hoo-haa about the 360 getting it first seems like a bit of a slap in the face, really.

At least they've finally fixed the matchmaking so it finds local games first. HALLELUJAH!