PDA

View Full Version : Stuck/Dead pixels - your input?

AG-wolf
21st September 2009, 10:49 PM
I love my new TV I just bought for my dorm, but it has one single stuck blue sub-pixel.

In the past, I have returned a TV for exactly this problem. It isn't glaring, it isn't even in the prime viewing area... but it's there.

I've tried online guides;
-rapidly cycling the area with a given color
-massaging the area gently
-tapping at the pixel

I didn't have luck with this method in the past, and it still didn't work this time.

This is my primary monitor for school, and it is also my new gaming TV. I DO have a backup monitor, and I don't NEED to be playing games while I'm supposed to be doing college work... but should I bother to exchange the TV or not? I ordered it online, so I would have to re-pack it, ship it out to them, and wait for the replacement to arrive. I don't mind the process, and I'm not upset over anything (I went through 5 launch PSPs before I got one with no dead pixels)... I just can't decide if it's worth the time and effort to ship it back and wait for the replacement for just one single dot on the screen. It's only 32 inches, so it doesn't even really stand out, and I can't even really notice it when I'm using my computer or playing games.

What do you guys think? Should I exchange it? There's always the possibility that the one I get in exchange has one or more dead/stuck pixels... Should I just keep it and deal with it? I'll always know it's there...

KIGO1987
21st September 2009, 10:57 PM
Well if its giving you the shits, and by the sounds like it is, its probably best to get it shipped and replaced for a new one, thats what i would do,

You spend the money,

and you should expect the best.

My advice, get it changed.

[BTW my launch PSP has a cluster of dead pixels on the top left corner, ive grown accustom with it in time, by its very irritating at times, i wish ive replaced it at the time of purchase.]

blackwiggle
22nd September 2009, 02:03 AM
I suppose it depends where one the screen the dead pixel is on if you can live with it.

Another thing to bare in mind is that there might be a minimum amount of dead pixels needed [say 8 just for arguments sake] before the shop is obliged to replace the screen,I'd check any find print on the website that you bought it from before you try for a replacement.

IH8YOU
22nd September 2009, 02:27 AM
Yes, and the 2nd kick to the stones - a blue primary with most vendors no longer counts as a full pixel with most vendors. They list that as a "sub-pixel" - and there are 3 sub pixels to a pixel. :?

Most vendors also have additional guidelines on the thresholds for pixel placement, and grouping density. 4 bad complete stuck pixels in the center of the screen side by side will likely get an exchange, where as 7 stuck sub pixels, and 4 stuck pixels scattered around the edges may not.

billychanxtr33m
22nd September 2009, 02:34 AM
lol my psp slim has had some dead pixels in the top left corner since i bought it. whether or not you send it back is your choice. and there is always the possibility that the replacement could have dead pixels too.

Darkdrium777
22nd September 2009, 02:45 AM
This (http://www.jscreenfix.com/) and massaging the area near the pixel worked for my red sub pixel on my ViewSonic VX2035wm (The one I brought at Al's.) It was dead center too. Massage while it's switching colours.
I know this could potentially be a big problem for you if you don't get it fixed ;) so I would try to get a replacement if nothing works, however this problem is usually not covered by insurance until a certain amount of pixels.

AG-wolf
22nd September 2009, 11:48 AM
well like I said, I tried jscreenfix and UDpixel AND massaging it, and it won't go away. I wish I had a magnifying glass, I think it might actually be a break in the pixel mesh structure and not just a stuck blue.

Whatever the case, though, the retailer I bought it from said they would replace it without any problems. I just don't like the idea that the replacement may have one or more dead pixels... everyone seems to say it's a common problem, but my first Samsung, my Sharp back at home, FrostE's two Samsungs, the Sylvania here in my dorm's common area, and the Olevia in the main school building all have perfect screens... All the Mac displays in the school (and there are a LOT) have perfect screens.

I think I'm gonna send it back, but I'm gonna wait til I go back home to CT so I can put the TV back in the shipping box they gave me...

Lance
22nd September 2009, 02:15 PM
It would bug the hell outta me; I couldn't live with it without feeling irritated for hours every day. Keep trying until you get one perfect screen. I bought my tv in a megastore that had probably close to a hundred sets on constant demo and all of them seemed to be perfect, including the one I bought. There's no excuse at this point in LCD development for there being a flaw in the screen.

IH8YOU
23rd September 2009, 12:39 AM
I'm willing to bet that most of these perfect screens aren't as perfect as you think. The best way to check for stuck pixels is to set the entire screen to black, and kill the lights in the room - that's the time when you will see them. On a typical computer desktop, or moving picture, it can be a lot harder to perceive them.

For dead pixels (stuck closed) - which seem to be a lot less common, you obviously want a white background and look for the dark spots. For full pixels - black background and look for white spots.

The most visible sub pixels are green, as they're smack dead in the human visible spectrum - reds and blues tend to be harder to see by comparison.

Also my view is that most "pixel" fixing programs / methods are snake-oil. I've seen stuck pixels get unstuck over time - but changing colors rapidly has little to do with it - and massaging can actually CAUSE pixels to die.

Don't hold out for seeing the array grid / traces - they're quite small - and sandwiched between several plates.

yeldar2097
23rd September 2009, 06:10 PM
I have clumps of dead things on my screen. Some are blue, some are green. They're everywhere!
Ruining my nice 1920 x 1200 screen: I paid good money for that :(

KIGO1987
23rd September 2009, 07:38 PM
Are you sure its not what you are smoking instead Yelder? :lol

DeepMix
29th September 2009, 08:00 PM
well i suggest you to change it, i just bought an lcd tv LG a few days ago and i discovered one blue stucked pixel, so i went to change it and they are giving me a new one in 2 days, i havent played anything meanwhile tho lol i dont like to play in 480i anymore so im waiting for my 1080p tv :(

SaturnReturn
29th September 2009, 08:28 PM
I have clumps of dead things on my screen. Some are blue, some are green. They're everywhere!
Ruining my nice 1920 x 1200 screen: I paid good money for that :(

Then show it some respect and stop squishing bugs on it then, you noob!:)