PDA

View Full Version : Stargate Universe - Rethinking the franchise?

YouAreFubar
6th September 2009, 10:44 PM
Anyone seen this yet? >Trailer< (http://stargate.mgm.com/view/series/3/index.html)

Now I think the Stargate TV series are ok, its always on around the time I have food ready and its usually the best thing on at the time. However, this may be a little different, it looks like theyve taken a few ideas from the recent Battlestar Galactica remake (make it darker and the situation desperate, cool camera angles, etc) and the trailer looks pretty sweet. It even has the infamous Scottish actor Robert Carlyle in it. Im looking forward to this!

SaturnReturn
6th September 2009, 10:52 PM
I've watched the film many times and always enjoy it. I watched a lot of the series too. Was it called SG-1? I think it was. (I could look it up very easily, but that's how lazy I'm feeling). If memory serves - they did something called Stargate Atlantis too, which I didn't care for. I'll look out for this new one. It's worth a shot.

Lance
7th September 2009, 03:31 AM
Loved the original movie, liked the first few seasons of SG-1, totally lacked interest in AG Atlantis.

abukii
7th September 2009, 04:00 AM
I loved the movie, both series and the SG-1 movies. The PS3 wont play the trailer, but I'll shuffle up to a pc and watch it then comment later. I am looking forward to the new series.
FYI-- When Claudia Black isnt being a snob on SG-1, She's Voice Acting in Uncharted 2. How cool is that :)

*edit* For some reason, my initial edit didnt post...anyway...YouAreFubar has it-- Looks like they took a page out of the BSG book. Looks good too. Oct. 2nd will be a good day for sci-fi fans! Thanks For sharing!!

stin
7th September 2009, 07:39 AM
Watched the trailer, looks really good, totally revamped and, honestly, I`m so looking forward in HD!, that would be awesome!

Rapier will love this!;)

stevie:)

DawnFireDragoon
7th September 2009, 01:05 PM
looks pretty good. i hope they haven't lost all the good humour though. it worked well in the other two series'

Darkdrium777
7th September 2009, 10:33 PM
Stargaaaate, it's a great big world, a great big swirl... :g

Watched every single one of these episodes (SG1, Atlantis + all the movies), great series all over. I hope it's more of the same with this one! :)

NightArh
8th September 2009, 07:27 AM
I liked only the original movie. SG series is a parody IMO

Lance
8th September 2009, 02:23 PM
Well, I wouldn't say it's a parody; it's just different. I think that any long running series must be different in character than a standalone movie in order to sustain itself and build a longterm audience. Inevitably, something of the original 'feel' will be lost. But in good series, something worthwhile is also gained. For me, Stargate SG-1 did provide something worthwhile despite its differences.

YouAreFubar
8th September 2009, 11:02 PM
I think that this is going to be going in a slightly new direction in terms of story and style, it looks like its not going to be as light hearted and humorous as previous incarnations, and if they pull it off well be in for a treat. I personally am liking the new direction of sci-fi that Battlestar Galactica seems to have kicked off, while light hearted entertainment does have its place, it does get tedious after a while and I need something a little darker to keep my interest.