PDA

View Full Version : "goodbye" for an indeterminate period

AG-wolf
27th August 2009, 01:13 AM
back at the beginning of the year, I was informed I had been accepted to a college I applied to (the only college I applied to, specifically)

http://www.meca.edu

I'm 25, it's about time I tried to do something with myself. Whether this experience lands me a productive career or not is irrelevant, I'm going to school for MY sake because it's something I want to learn... lol not too many people are that stupid anymore :P

at any rate, classes start Monday, August 31st.. move-in day is... tomorrow. I still haven't packed half of the crap I need to bring :P I haven't even gotten my computer organized, otherwise I wouldn't be wasting time on the internet right now lol

I probably have to sell my car because I can't make car payments while I'm at school, I more than likely won't be playing games, but i'm bringing a couple things at least. I don't know how much time, if any, I'll have to spend on the forums here or anything like that, so this is basically a tentative farewell... I'm not gone for good, I'm FAR from done with Wipeout :P I might pop in on the forums occasionally depending on how heavy my workload is at school. I may be on the forums this weekend, so who knows.

IH8YOU
27th August 2009, 02:28 AM
What you going back to school for? If you don't mind me asking.

Regardless, I wish you luck in your endeavor - I'd love to go back to school if my situation were any different than the current one.

Pace yourself, and keep plugging. Even when you feel like this. :brickwall

And yes, Wipeout is a gigantic revolving door - you'll come back around, that much I'm sure of. :g

BulletWraith
27th August 2009, 03:38 AM
also curios on what your studying?, just had a peak at the website looks like a good place to be studying/creating.
I'm 26 and last year I went back to tech to study costume design for theatre and Stage, just it's not like your the only one getting back to things
The Motherland awaits your return

thunder and joy
zer:donutshen

Lance
27th August 2009, 04:01 AM
Good luck. I hope you'll be back to the WZ whenever you can be here.

Frances_Penfold
27th August 2009, 04:49 AM
Looks like an interesting college-- good luck! College is a great time to meet people and hang out. I hope you meet some lifelong friends :)

No doubt you will be plenty busy but probably, if you pace yourself and don't goof around *too* much, you'll have some free time to play some Wipeout and post on the WOZ. I remember having bits of free time back in college...

Rachel Johnson
27th August 2009, 11:15 AM
Good luck. I never went to college, but if I had a chance to go, I would. Nothing better than studying something you want to, instead of something that is expected. :D

okam
27th August 2009, 04:24 PM
College of arts? Been there, done that, never had more spare time in my life actually. :D

infoxicated
27th August 2009, 04:50 PM
All the best Wolfie - I hope you enjoy the experience. :+

Aeroracer
27th August 2009, 06:50 PM
Bye wolf..have a happy life:)

YouAreFubar
27th August 2009, 11:33 PM
Hope your studies go well!

AG-wolf
29th August 2009, 12:30 AM
Thanks for your well wishes, guys. Figured I'd swing by and drop a note since i Have my computer all set up in my dorm.

Freshman and sophomore years are relatively exploratory, in that you don't decide a major and are stuck with it the rest of your time in the school; you get the opportunity to try a few different fields/mediums so you can get exposed to something you wouldn't originally have chosen. ie; say someone attends and expects to go into ceramics/pottery, but they take a metalworks elective and it turns out they not only like it but they're really good at it too- they may decide to pursue a different path and since they don't declare their major until the end of sophomore year, they have the opportunity to think it over and see how it goes.

I don't have a specific goal with my education here just yet; I vaguely keep saying I want to get into puppetry or animatronics. Illustration, drawing, and anatomy courses will give me the basic structure skills to draw and realize different designs and concepts for a potential finished piece. If I were to get into sculpture or 3D design, I may be able to use the courses to my own means and it might help me if I wanted to get in the physical construction and tangible design elements of a finished piece. I could take further education after this school; if I got into engineering, I could actually design the technical and mechanical workings, or if I took some performance art classes, I could be the guy controlling everything :D

One of the things I was always fascinated in "art," illustration, cartoons, etc etc etc, was how someone could almost literally bring something to life. With the stroke of a pencil, something becomes "real," to whatever extent you allow... Puppetry is the most direct representation of that :) It's IMMEDIATELY recognizable by anyone's eyes, you can elicit tangible emotions with a mere flick of your wrist or turn of a dial or flip of a switch... I don't know what I plan exactly to do with whatever I learn here, but I know it will be satisfying regardless. I want to HAVE that ability to bring something to life by my own hands, whether it's an actual realized 3-dimensional interactive piece, or even just a simple illustration or design ("alive" doesn't necessarily mean a piece represents something that can be living in the sense of breathing and moving).

I cna't believe I'm putting myself in debt just to learn how to draw better lol

Anyway, I ramble.. I need to get back to the main building to work on something I need to finish for tomorrow. The studio space is open and accessible to students 24/7 :D Later tonight I'm gonna check out the threads I missed over the past couple days, and whatever the private messages I see up in the corner there, and then I may or may not lurk over the course of the next months. I AM gonna see if the school blocked the ports the PS3 uses to play online though ;)

Mad-Ice
29th August 2009, 08:36 AM
Good luck and lots of fun. Greetz Mad-Ice

okam
29th August 2009, 08:39 AM
Good luck with your studies. I draw and paint myself, and I love having the ability to create something from nothing. You have a pencil and some paper, and you can create anything with it, no limits.

BTW, if your school network blocks ports or applications, you could always use http://www.your-freedom.net/ or something similar. I used their free service while I was in Japan, and it was good enough for WoW and Skype. I didn't play much, mostly just to stay in touch with old friends, but at least this gave me the opportunity.

andy
29th August 2009, 06:54 PM
hey, good luck with all that! I'm doing something I want to do myself this year too :). I've always been doing the whole, Maths and Physics stuff to get a job that pays - heart was never in any of those jobs I was working towards. I went to sixth form to maths and physics A levels (along with DT and Art) but I failed the first year and was faced with having to resit a year and stay at sixth form for 2 more years. However, I got told about a course in a local college from a friend and we both applied together. We didn't get in lol but we got told we could apply for the next year to start, so that's what we did.

Now I'm going for a Games Development course at College in 2 weeks and I can't wait, haha. It feels good knowing I'm going to be studying towards something I want to do.

I know exactly how you feel! I would've loved to study animation too. Wish you luck :D Hope you have loads of fun and meet great friends :D

q_dmc12
30th August 2009, 05:45 AM
Ahh, good! Who finally knocked some sense into yah? Just kidding, it will be a fun experience I'm sure, heck I haven't had enough! ;)