PDA

View Full Version : PS2 controller on PS3

okam
28th July 2009, 11:19 AM
My sixaxis is getting worse every day, but I am too cheap to get a new one :P That, and it's fine for most other games than WOHD.

The DS2 that came with my PS2, and which I have been using a LOT for 6-7 years, is still working fine. The analog sticks feel a lot firmer and more solid than the sixaxis, it would probably be great for WOHD. I know there are PS2-to-PS3 converters out there but it sounds like quality varies a lot.

Does anyone have any hands on experience with these converters? Which ones work, which don't? Any recommendations?

Sausehuhn
28th July 2009, 11:24 AM
I have no experiences with DS2 on PS3, but I heard rumble isn't working at all. And of course there's no SIXAXIS support ;)

Haywire_Guy
28th July 2009, 11:30 AM
Yeah ive tried it out- and the PS3 controller feels way more tactile and responsive. The only known converter out there is the usb one, and because it uses the Universal Bus port makes the on screen event 1/4 a second after the pressing action. Good for RPGs, but noticeable on decent racing games let alone Wipeout HD.

You can find some cheap converters here: http://cgi.ebay.com/PS2-to-PS3-PC-Game-USB-Controller-Converter-Adapter_W0QQitemZ180376599475QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVi deo_Games_Accessories?hash=item29ff487bb3&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

or here: http://www.amazon.com/PS2-Controller-Adaptor-Sony-PS3/dp/B000PS1TG6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1248780605&sr=8-1

-Hope this helps

Sources:
-Bought a pair myself.

KIGO1987
28th July 2009, 12:10 PM
My sixaxis is getting worse every day, but I am too cheap to get a new one :P That, and it's fine for most other games than WOHD.

The DS2 that came with my PS2, and which I have been using a LOT for 6-7 years, is still working fine. The analog sticks feel a lot firmer and more solid than the sixaxis, it would probably be great for WOHD. I know there are PS2-to-PS3 converters out there but it sounds like quality varies a lot.

Does anyone have any hands on experience with these converters? Which ones work, which don't? Any recommendations?

Kay im going to help you out there.

Now what you need to do is have at least some cash on your to buy a sixaxis or a DualShock 3 Controller.

Now im not sure if there are any GAME or Electronic Boutique stores in Norway, but i am sure there are some equivalent stores. So what you need to do is buy a pre-owned one (either sixaxis or DS3), since its preowned the item should have a 7day return warranty on it.

What you need to do is buy it. Then come back in a few days with the current controller that you have problems on, and say that this preowned controller i bought here a few days ago and it is faulty, and not working properly. Either way the store policy would be a full cash refund, or a in store credit on the original purchase price on the preowned controller that you have purchase a few days earlier. Either way at the end of the day you now have a fully functional and working PS3 controller at zero cost.

Enjoy:)

NightArh
28th July 2009, 12:13 PM
I fell from the chair... :lol KIGO you always give great ideas! I like you! :)

AG-wolf
28th July 2009, 02:38 PM
Yeah ive tried it out- and the PS3 controller feels way more tactile and responsive. The only known converter out there is the usb one, and because it uses the Universal Bus port makes the on screen event 1/4 a second after the pressing action. Good for RPGs, but noticeable on decent racing games let alone Wipeout HD.

wat? I never had lag issues with my little USB-PS2 converter... Though, it DOES have a hard time interpreting the pressure-sensitive buttons, so just pressing them lightly doesn't always register. I actually use an original Dual Shock from PSX since the buttons are completely digital. I find it easier to use the old PSX controller for WOHD because the D-Pad has less travel and it makes barrel rolls a little quicker.

this is the exact one I bought:
http://www.divineo.cn/cgi-bin/div-cn/ps2-dscc2
it works great. (side note, ordering from the chinese section of the website is sometimes cheaper even if it isn't local)

okam
28th July 2009, 05:58 PM
@KIGO: lol, that's pretty sneaky! Only thing is that I would have to get another sixaxis while I have my heart set on a DS3... excellent idea tho!

@AG-wolf: so you would recommend the Dragon Electronics (from Divineo) one for WOHD? What settings do you use for airbrakes, and do you use the analog sticks at all for steering? The price is definitely right for a student with no income, just loans ^^

BTW I have my original PSX DualShock controller aswell :D I love that thing to death!

Lance
28th July 2009, 10:47 PM
}thinks KIGO's suggestion would cost the next customer time and trouble and money for fuel to make an extra trip to the store. And needless irritation, too, of course.{

okam
29th July 2009, 01:09 AM
Meh, who cares about other people? (OK, I do, but just a little... sometimes... ).

Sidenote: I just took apart my sixaxis and cleaned everything. Absolutely everything. Scrubbed down every button and every hinge and every square mm of the casing.

Misaligned analog stick can't be helped, but cleaning out the gunk (how the hell does it get so dirty in there anyway) helped a little on the right stick "clicking" and getting stuck. Slightly sticky X and O buttons are slightly less sticky now, and L2 no longer squeaks. Now I have to make my own high pitched sound effects when airbraking/sideshifting to the left :/

Sooo... still in the market for a PS2-to-PS3 adapter!

BTW... people... do NOT take your Sixaxis apart. Ever. It took me an hour just to click the 2 parts of the plastic casing together when I was done cleaning (taking it apart, and juggling all the little bits inside was easy enough though).

AG-wolf
29th July 2009, 04:16 AM
AG-wolf: so you would recommend the Dragon Electronics (from Divineo) one for WOHD? What settings do you use for airbrakes, and do you use the analog sticks at all for steering? The price is definitely right for a student with no income, just loans ^^

I hear the student bullshit, I start at an art college in maine in a month D: AND I have car payments and sh*t to still try and cover aside from all the other money I put myself into debt with... anyway, yeah this adapter is great, I have zero issues with lag (and believe me I've been all over the lag BS... I returned two different +$1200 TVs due to input lag issues until I finally found one with no input lag; the first two TVs were so bad I couldn't play the oldschool sonic or megaman games. I use them as a test since they both require absolute precise timing for jumps and everything).

BUUUUttons:
X = F*CKING GO!
[] = Fire
O = Absorb
/\ = look back
R1/L1 = Air Brakes
R3 = Camera **
L3 = voice chat or whatever **
R2 = flip/speed lap turbo reset/whatever else it does now.

** = these are out of the way so I dont accidentally hit them when racing... but now that I can't put "flip" and whatever else it is on "Select", I occasionally hit that when I dont mean to in eliminator mode :/

I usually use the D-Pad, but the analog stick is good for zone mode sometimes... *shrug* I dunno, the analog stick only ever felt "right" for Wipeout 64... I used to use it for Wipeout 3 (rather well, I might add) back in the day, but I can't do it anymore. But yes, that adapter (the "v2" specifically) works great... just get it lol :P And DIvineo has TONS of other absolutely awesome stuff on their site... it's a great place to get all sorts of different stuff you never realized you needed lol ;P

cleaning out the gunk (how the hell does it get so dirty in there anyway) helped a little Wash your hands with regular dial (or any other non-moisturizing) soap EVERY time before you use the controller... easiest way to avoid hand gunk like dead skin cells, grease, Dorito cheese, etc. Whenever I buy a used controller I always take it apart entirely then scrub every non-electronic part down with soap and hot water using a tooth-brush... it lengthens the life of the controller and gives me peace of mind so I'm not touching someone else's filth lol :P

}thinks KIGO's suggestion would cost the next customer time and trouble and money for fuel to make an extra trip to the store. And needless irritation, too, of course.{ same here, I'd feel wicked guilty trying to pull that kind of sh*t

okam
29th July 2009, 08:40 AM
I'm usually good about keeping my electronics clean, not only because I intend for them to last a very long time (like my PSX/PS2 :D ) but also the nicer they look the more you get for them should you decide to sell them :P

The sixaxis had breadcrumbs inside it! Must have been those making that sound when shaking the controller... la cucaracha. Will order the adapter thing soon, and let you know how it works. Yes, it looks like the chinese site is the cheapest (even if it's not a large sum).

BTW what sensitivity do you use for the airbrakes? Also, what do you do for a PS button... ?

AG-wolf
29th July 2009, 06:16 PM
oh mybad, yeah i forgot to answer that :P

for sensitivity, I turn EVERYTHING as low as possible.. If you're using a PS3 controller, that makes it as close to digital as possible because it pretty much ignores 90% of the pressure you're putting on the button. This is the reason I use a dual shock 1, because they are COMPLETELY digital, so the game only registers PRESSING HARD LIKE THE MOTHER F*CKING FIST OF THE NORTH STAR every time you push a button.

PS Button = Analog button. Unfortunately it doesn't bring up the XMB when you're playing a game, though. It reacts as though you held the home button down and gives you the "quit, restart, turn off controller, turn off system" menu. I don't know if any other PSX/PS2 to USB converters actually interpret the button press properly, but all I do is keep my PS3 controller handy if I actually need to access the XMB or reply to a message, etc.

okam
29th July 2009, 06:53 PM
so, no light air braking then, just 90 degree turns straight into walls :P

AG-wolf
29th July 2009, 07:13 PM
only if you don't know how to drive ;)

KIGO1987
29th July 2009, 07:55 PM
Airbraking on the PSX, PSone controllers would be pretty much identical to that of Pure, Pulse on the PSP. But shideshifting would be so so very much easier.

IH8YOU
30th July 2009, 03:56 AM
I've used the PSX controller with the USB adapter - and - at least in my case, it's EXTREMELY sensitive. I sometimes get false d-pad inputs - which when pitching back for a boost / BR - can prove troublesome.

That said - the air brakeswork VERY fast - and it handles like a dream.

Sadly - airbrakes are broken again post 2.0. Bleh.

KIGO1987
30th July 2009, 09:34 AM
Could always go for the Pulse set up on Wipeout HD,

DD, Leungbok, RR and me use this configuration,

The DPAD and L1 and R1 as the airbrakes, its the best way to play the game, and its the most responsive sideshift setting to choose from.

TBH i would use the R3 to control, but its impossible to efficient brs with the joystick. And those spongy airbrakes are just crappy in the highest order.

Haywire_Guy
30th July 2009, 10:32 AM
The PS2/PS3 adapter does lag; Burnout and other racing games are much harder on the converter than on the PS3 one. The one you showed me looked similar to the one i have at home, but you mightve gotten a different brand or something i dunno. I use the official Dualshock 2 btw.

Anyway i hardly ever use any of the 2 i have now cause i hardly play RPGs anymore, only racing games and shoot em' ups.

AG-wolf
30th July 2009, 04:47 PM
I sometimes get false d-pad inputs open the controller and make sureall the d-pad components are clean and that the plastic isn't worn down too badly.. I know what you're talking about, it's like if you wanna pitch your nose down, you might suddenly cut right or left depending on how you pressed the button. It's a facet of the old style d-pad; you can fix it but you have to sit and fiddle with it by either tripping in one spot or building up the plastic contact nubs in another.

The PS2/PS3 adapter does lag ... I use the official Dualshock 2 btw.and like I said, when you use a PS2 controller, all the buttons are pressure sensitive, and the PS2-USB adaptor doesn't register the values properly. I also don't know what burnout game you're talking about; if you mean any PS1/PS2 games that you PLAY on the PS3, then any lag is a fault of the PS3 itself because it doesn't do direct video output, it has to convert the video signal and upscale it and all this other happy horsesh*t so ANY PS1/PS2 game has lag on the PS3 unless you're outputting 480i over analog video connections (Composite, Svid, component)

Haywire_Guy
31st July 2009, 10:47 AM
I was talking about Paradise which runs natively on the PS3 in 720p. Unfortunately i don't own a backwards compatible console so it only runs PSX and PS3 games.

Jeebus sorry if i angered you or anything but im just reporting what happens with my adapter, it might work better on your PSone controller but i'm just telling the community what my experience is with the adapter on the DS2.

AG-wolf
31st July 2009, 02:31 PM
lolwat? not angry man :P out of curiosity, do you have a PS1 dualshock you could try with your adapter? I wonder if that would make the same difference I encounter

Haywire_Guy
1st August 2009, 12:10 PM
Apologies about thinking u were angry then ><. Nope i dont have the original PS controller, but im guessing it should work just like yours (lag free =) if i ever managed to get obtain one to test.