PDA

View Full Version : blazblue...for the guilty gear fans!!!

TheFrostE
25th June 2009, 04:19 AM
well...just wondering if any zoners here picking up arc systems new fighter "Blazblue". it looks stunning and with my brand spanking new Arcade stick, im ready to go next tuesday :D.

eLhabib
25th June 2009, 10:13 AM
Oh I am definitely picking this up!
Even though I silently wish they had just remade GGXX in high res, the characterdesign on BlazBlue is... well.. meh.

Amorbis
25th June 2009, 11:53 AM
I've never played a Guilty Gear or Arc System Works game before, I'm more of an SNK/Capcom person, but from what I've heard, read and watched they look very elaborate and crazy, which can only mean it should be fun. BlazBlue looks like a stunning game visually with the massive sprites and crazy combos. Too bad there isn't any word of a European release happening, I don't want to have to import :(.

There is the other problem of King of Fighters XII on the horizon which I also want to buy. Some reviews and videos ought to help me make my decisions.

eLhabib
25th June 2009, 02:22 PM
I know it's a personal preference thing, but if you are thinking about only getting one of the two (BlazBlue or KOF), I can tell you that I've played both (briefly, admittedly) and there is just no way to put them on the same level. Graphics-wise and gameplay-wise, BlazBlue reigns supreme. And to be honest I was also really disappointed by the sprites of KOF - I expected them to be much crisper (which they are in BlazBlue).

Easy choice to me really.

TheFrostE
25th June 2009, 03:12 PM
awesome habib...cant wait to play some games with you. should be fun online!k

IDReaper
25th June 2009, 07:55 PM
Mine is on preorder right now. Can't Wait! Yeah FrostE we gotta have a round or two on day one. I'll bring my Jin with me =D

RJ O'Connell
25th June 2009, 08:03 PM
I'll be getting it for Xbox 360. Before KIGO throws a brick at my head, I only have 360 FightPads, and I can't play BlazBlue with the DualShock if it's anything like GGXX which would give me severe hand cramps because getting overdrive attacks to come out was a pain in the ass.

OBH
25th June 2009, 08:04 PM
guilty gear was quality. Faust is a hilarious character.

TheFrostE
25th June 2009, 08:07 PM
they made overdrive attacks very simple in blazblue :D

RJ O'Connell
25th June 2009, 08:13 PM
2009 is a great year for fighting games - SF4, KOF12, BlazBlue, Tekken 6, Soul Calibur 4.5 on PSP, Tatsunoko vs Capcom coming to the West...I made the right choice by getting into fighters late last year it seems :g

TheFrostE
25th June 2009, 08:15 PM
well since you can have up to 6 players in lobby and voice chat with the likes of soul calibur 4 it looks like we can have some nice non-wipeout zoner gatherings.

OBH
28th June 2009, 06:12 PM
i still play tekken DR online now.

best player i played was some matey as lee - 246 wins / 1 loss. was a madman!

eLhabib
30th June 2009, 12:35 PM
just ordered my copy of BlazBlue SE from the US, should arrive in Vienna early next week, I hope! Can't wait!

djKyoto
30th June 2009, 01:57 PM
I want it, I'd have to import however, it looks fantastic.

IDReaper
30th June 2009, 01:59 PM
Going to go pick up my preorder right now. =D

SonicChaos
30th June 2009, 04:27 PM
Got the limited edition predordered, Gamestop should get it in tomorrow. I own GGXXAC+ and it was amazing, if incredibly complex. Then when my PS3 comes late this week I'll be online and ready to kick butt.

TheFrostE
30th June 2009, 11:03 PM
been playing it allll day, its phenomenal... story is epic and fighting system is flawless so far. im playing my main as noel vermillion and sub as carl clover. i was so dissapointed that the way the controls are you need both sticks to play sooooo i couldnt use my arcade fighting stick BUT after some Al Sartwell style button remapping ive found an almost perfect button scheme that works great with the arcade stick

IDReaper
30th June 2009, 11:34 PM
Been putting in some training hours offline as well. I'm all around impressed with the game. Jin is definitely my main, but suprisingly I feel comfortable with Tager!?!? The cast is very well balanced and unique. First thing I did when I booted up the game was jump in training and do the Bang install xD

eLhabib
30th June 2009, 11:57 PM
LOL @ Bang Install :lol

FrostE: afaik you only need the second analog stick for the 'easy combo' execution, a mode to help beginners - you don't play with that help enabled anyway, do you?

IDReaper
1st July 2009, 01:11 AM
Yeah right stick is only for easy execution of specials. I don't like having to move away from the face buttons because if I miss or screw up at least I can barrier defend real quick.

SonicChaos
1st July 2009, 03:42 PM
I recently played my friends copy and it is amazing. I will be maining Jin and working on a secondary.

First thing I did when I booted up the game was jump in training and do the Bang install xD

That's what we did too lol.

TheFrostE
1st July 2009, 05:44 PM
no i dont use the easy help....but didnt realize it at first. the arcade stick is phenomenal for this game...im going to try to upload a few online fights i did yesterday sweeping ppl 3-0 :p

Amorbis
1st July 2009, 06:25 PM
Argh, you're all making this game sound really good and I have no money in which to buy it with >_<. Making myself watch YouTube videos of it to compensate doesn't help either. The high reviews are tempting me more, too. I might get the special edition shipped here to England sometime but I doubt it will be soon.

I hope the game plays well with a Saturn controller. I do have an arcade stick but it isn't very high quality and I prefer pads anyway ;).

eLhabib
1st July 2009, 07:11 PM
Just tried GGX2R on PC with the PS3 tournament fight stick (yes, it works perfectly on PC) just to get in the groove with a faster game again (SF4 is so static in comparison), and I have to say, one thing that bothers me is dashing. I used to play GGX2 on a standard controller back in the day, and dashing is as simple as tapping the digipad, but now, that I'm used to the stick, I want to play BlazBlue with it as well - I just can't find a way to dash easily with the stick! It's so much movement for the hand! Please, someone with tons of arcade-stick-experience, tell me, how do you do it? Is there a trick? :?

TheFrostE
1st July 2009, 08:43 PM
i play my arcade stick on my lap and lightly glide the stick around with my thumb and pointer finger... for dashing forwards just give the stick a couple taps with the side of your pointer finger. i could show you technique if you get on ps3 , with ps3 eye cam

eLhabib
1st July 2009, 09:37 PM
Forward dashing - ok, even though it's more distance than comfortable, it's manageable. But what about backwards? 'Cause tapping with the side of the thumb ain't exactly easy to do...

TheFrostE
1st July 2009, 09:42 PM
backwards i rest my pointer finger on the top of the joystick (kinda wrapped over the top) thumb pressed on right side, and side of the middle finger pressed on left side(same as your pointer finger position from before only your putting pressure on the stick), then grip the stick and shake it to the left 2 times, then go back to the other position

eLhabib
1st July 2009, 10:14 PM
Sounds easy, but is actually quite a big move if you have a large stick ;)

Anyway, many thanks for the tips!

SonicChaos
2nd July 2009, 07:21 PM
I prefer controllers vs. Arcade sticks. Just seems better for me. I might get some videos up once I get into training mode some more.

DividedXZero
2nd July 2009, 07:30 PM
You guys are really peaking my interest with this game! :hyper
I never owned any GG, but my brother did and i loved the game. (Also liked Darkstalkers back in the day).
This has got me curious, and gamestop showed the Special Edition at reg cost..so i have to look into that.

I've always played this games with controller, the arcade stick is good for button layout..but man I'm just not good with fighters and joysticks..d-pad for me all the way (Just like Wipeout). Same thing I always did with any of the SF series...

Online features right?
Does it play like Guilty Gear and street fighter alpha series? (build up power gauges, counters, finishers..etc.?)

JABBERJAW
3rd July 2009, 01:05 AM
"BUT after some Al Sartwell style button remapping ive found an almost perfect button scheme that works great with the arcade stick "

What exactly did you do? :)

Task
3rd July 2009, 01:14 AM
8 D
He invoked your name, sacrificed a neGcon, and offered up holy prayers to the god of arcade gaming while weilding the blessed soldering iron!

TheFrostE
3rd July 2009, 02:22 PM
Divide....this game is HUGE on countering and timing your blocks just right . and yes there are specials and finishers (the astral finishes need to be unlocked for each character). some characters have the bar that grows as you take damage or dish it out while others have different means of unleashing specials.

and Al i just removed all of the functions of the right analog stick (shortcuts for button combos and specials, then just mapped the rest to give me a perfect fit with my hand position.

i dont know if any of you have played ranked matches yet, BUT...you are not allowed to use ANY button shortcuts for specials or hard attacks during matches, so make sure you learn the full button combinations for your moves before you go into a ranked battle.

SonicChaos
3rd July 2009, 05:44 PM
Yes. Some characters have different gauges for different functions. I can tell you Hakumen is broken and probably will be banned from tourneys, Distortion drive that takes out half your health in one shot, and normal attacks that take out a tenth of your health per hit, that's not OP at all....

eLhabib
3rd July 2009, 06:43 PM
Shame really, because I quite like his appearance. So I guess Noel is gonna be my main then...

SonicChaos
3rd July 2009, 09:46 PM
I'm not entirely positive, but I think it's a very good possibility the same way Kliff and Justice are tourney banned in Guilty Gear.

IDReaper
4th July 2009, 12:18 AM
I dunno, using Hakumen and I feel that his high power is balanced by his lack of speed. Not only in movement but move startup/recovery. A lot of his strategy also involves countering and defense. Seems to me he's more of a close range beast like Tager. But, like, less slow.

TheFrostE
4th July 2009, 05:43 AM
Hakumen is OP big time. i was saying the same things to myself today. el habib, noel is my main as well.

and im currently working on perfecting Carl Clover...man hes a BEAST if you can learn to control two characters at once, trick is to trap your opponent between you and your marionette...very challenging but rewarding when mastered. guys if you dont have me added ADD ME, i want to have some nice wipeoutzone blazblue games.

KANDANG
4th July 2009, 11:36 AM
fyi, hakumen is low tier...

carl climbed the tier list thx to this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pk9TR9A6ls

needs some patching
:)

TheFrostE
4th July 2009, 02:55 PM
i know about the clap trap with him...but it is NOT by any means easy to pull off against a decent player online.

eLhabib
4th July 2009, 04:20 PM
Plus, I understand that barrier burst should get you out of that situation once - and you won't make the mistake of getting caught again ;)

AG-wolf
4th July 2009, 05:24 PM
is there anywhere to get this game for less than 60 bucks yet?

sny
4th July 2009, 09:19 PM
Apparently Gametrailers likes BB:CT too (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-hd-blazblue-calamity/52354)... :rolleyes:

I wish there weren't so many awesome stuff coming already, else I'd probably give this a try... maybe I will anyway. :)

SonicChaos
5th July 2009, 02:07 PM
It's gotten high praise from all the major sites out there like IGN, Gamespot, GT. It may be hard to pull off, but still, it should not exist.

Apparently Gametrailers likes BB:CT too (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-hd-blazblue-calamity/52354)... :rolleyes:

They didn't play the music to go with Bang Install, uber lame lol. They got it all right though along with Jin's whining.