PDA

View Full Version : PSP Go!!

Luxoflux
31st May 2009, 10:37 AM
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/05/30/rumor-psp-go-revealed-in-june-issue-of-qore/

Finally, Sony has done something new with a psp. Lot of negative comments on joystick, but i actually quite like the way it looks. Not to mention that they will be (finally) releasing Gran turismo on this psp.
I just cant wait :D

mdhay
31st May 2009, 10:47 AM
:blarg:blarg:blarg:blarg:blarg

It looks like :turd. The only things that appeal to me are the internal memory and new Metal Gear being produced, and even then, it [The MGS] would probably be released on PSP - 3000's anyway.:bomb

archman
31st May 2009, 10:50 AM
Wait, you say that GT Mobile will be released for PSP Go only? Or can it be played with all PSP's?

mdhay
31st May 2009, 10:59 AM
It'll be on the store, so you, in theory, could try and download it.

Darkdrium777
31st May 2009, 11:05 AM
:blarg:blarg:blarg:blarg:blarg

It looks like :turd
Pretty much nailed it with the five :blarg there. I'll add a http://forums.beyondunreal.com/images/smileys/emot-gonk.gif but really it's the same thing.

Looks like the design team has been off the internet for the past two years or so, because this concept (http://conceptpop.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/2256832179_53017e0ccf.jpg) made by ONE person who probably doesn't even work in the industry for this kind of thing looks tons better.
Sure, there's still my problem with the triggers but for the form factor they were going for, it has much more functionality. And a 2nd analog stick.

archman
31st May 2009, 11:12 AM
Jeez, the triggers on this pic are in the sky, man! I wouldn't go for that buy, buds, for sure. :D

Darkdrium777
31st May 2009, 11:20 AM
Actually, there are two "triggers", the little squarey things on the sides. L1 and L2. It actually has all the buttons of a PS3 controller.
But I agree, the placement is still rubbish. Then again, PSP4k (Refusing to call it "Go", it's just stupid) has rubbish placement as well, so I'd prefer that concept personally even though I wouldn't buy it myself (PSP2000 5.03M33 ftw)

Amorbis
31st May 2009, 11:21 AM
I'm not too keen on the whole download only thing, I like having my UMDs. Game discs are the physical representation of the games you own and I'd miss that if they were gone. I doubt you'll be able to 'transfer' your UMD games to download either and I'm not going to re-buy Pulse and Pure. Maybe I'll be able to get a cheaper PSP-3000 sometime after this has launched.

Sure, there's still my problem with the triggers but for the form factor they were going for, it has much more functionality. And a 2nd analog stick.
I'd like to see that too, but the Go! is on the same hardware as regular PSPs. They probably want to keep all games compatible on all PSPs. Maybe on the PSP2.

archman
31st May 2009, 11:21 AM
Jeez, even worse for the triggers. Darkdrium, 5.03M33 ??? Already out?? khm...

KIGO1987
31st May 2009, 11:23 AM
There already a ****ing thread about this here;
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6229&page=3

Anyhow enough of me being a grump.

PSP GO looks interesting.

L and R buttons will be interesting. Be using the rear buttons on the base of your index figures, apposite to the end of your index figures like in the 1000,2000,3000 models.

16GB will not last long if i had one, there should be a 32GB variant also.

If Gran Turismo Mobile if a promotional feature for the PSPGO then it will highly probable it would not be a UMD featured game, but a game that is purchased directly off the PS Store. Im thinking that 1.8GB (UMD Dual layer maximum memory) wouldnt be enough to hold an Gran Turismo game. So thats the reason why its being put of release for half a decade.

Im just thinking about it seriously....
If this PSP GO has a sim card input in it, and can be used as a phone, then ill definitely purchase it, if it cannot be used as a phone, ill continue to use my quite reliable 1000 series PSP.

archman
31st May 2009, 11:26 AM
If there'll be the phone and other shape and other proper button position, I'm going for it. Probably :D

Darkdrium777
31st May 2009, 11:37 AM
Darkdrium, 5.03M33Sorry my bad, I think 5.03, or 5.02, is GEN. I have the most recent M33 firmware, I think that one is 5.00.

KIGO: your thread was question about memory sticks. This is really for PSP4k.

There isn't any phone.

Confirmed "features"
-Lack of UMD drive
-3.8" screen (Current PSP is 4.3")
-Bluetooth support
-16GB internal memory
-Memory Stick Micro expansion slot
-43% lighter than PSP3k

KIGO1987
31st May 2009, 11:40 AM
If this can be used as a phone i will buy this.

Other than if it is not, then i will not buy it.

Looking forward to Gran Turismo PSP. Online on that would be pretty cool:D

Pricing would be great for this.

I can see $499 AUD at this rate. $399 it should be at max, since it only has 16GB on it.:+

I love the marketing strategy Sony is doing here with the handheld market. **** them all, is more like it. Having both the PSP-3000 and the PSP-GO for sale syncronised with each other means sony can get a larger share into the market. Take more from the extremmly successful Nintendo DSi and the Iphone. I wonder if the specs are increased on this model too. More RAM too?

KIGO1987
31st May 2009, 11:45 AM
KIGO: your thread was question about memory sticks. This is really for PSP4k.

No it wasnt.

For people who didnt see the name of the thread i created last week, here it is again in size 7 font;

"Random PSP questions and future developments"

future developments, does mean future developments, not just memory sticks.

Its in the Wipeout Pulse section of these forums.

Here is the link also
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6229

Darkdrium777
31st May 2009, 11:53 AM
impact is better to get your point across

And if you want to be right about the placement of this discussion, then your thread should be in Off-Topic D:

KIGO1987
31st May 2009, 12:03 PM
thank you for the advice there

AG-wolf
31st May 2009, 12:36 PM
PSP Go! - And you thought you got bad hand cramps with the old PSP...

LOUDandPROUD
31st May 2009, 12:36 PM
Hmm...when I first saw the placement of the analog stick, I was like WTF? Then I thought about it...I have long fingers that always used to be cramped and uncomfortable with my original PSP (don't have one anymore) and this new placement (farther to the right) might alleviate that issue for me. Of course, if you don't have long fingers then you may understandably still be thinking WTF at the new stick placement LOL.

The only thing I'm perplexed about now is that this PSP Go isn't replacing the PSP 3000...what the heck do we need two diffferent PSP's for???

AG-wolf
31st May 2009, 12:44 PM
PSP Go says it doesn't have a UMD drive, but it has 16 gigs of internal storage with expandable capacity... The Go could be a way of Sony trying to bolster content purchases through their PSN store to be downloaded directly on the console. If it gains enough popularity, maybe their entire content-delivery system will be digital/electronic, and they may sh*t-can the PSP3k... UMDs are an added production cost.

mdhay
31st May 2009, 12:46 PM
@LaP:

Because some people won't like the new one.

KIGO1987
31st May 2009, 12:55 PM
The only thing I'm perplexed about now is that this PSP Go isn't replacing the PSP 3000...what the heck do we need two diffferent PSP's for???

Marketing techniques by Sony to get a larger share of the handheld market.

Also a trial and error of a new direction of technology, and if that fails, then there is the 3000 series that is still there to be developed on.

djKyoto
31st May 2009, 02:26 PM
The main problem with the PSP Go it's that it's still a PSP. Nothing majors really different, it's mostly a redesign of the existing one.

But then no one gave Nintendo that rule.

SaturnReturn
31st May 2009, 03:40 PM
I like how they call it the PSP Go, as if the current one is such a burden that I couldn't possibly take it out of the house with me. I don't see a lot wrong with the current PSP design. The only thing I dislike about it is that I have to shell out far more for Sony's memory sticks than I do for equivalent capacity SD cards. But the Go doesn't seem to fix that. Given that games wouldn't be on UMD I think it would make the issue worse, as you'd be far more dependent on internal memory, and I think the 16GB would be consumed quickly with relatively few games, videos, and albums.

So yeah, if you already have a PSP, I really don't see much point in buying a PSP Go as well.

Darkdrium777
31st May 2009, 09:51 PM
they may sh*t-can the PSP3k... UMDs are an added production cost.If they do that they're effectively alienating all the PSP owners currently out there... And any potential buyer in a region where the PSN Store is not available. It would be a pretty dumb move.

lol at impact spam.

AnErare
31st May 2009, 10:29 PM
Of course Sony isn't going to adopt SD or any other standard since they have their own. That would just be stupid and expensive for them because of copyrights and patents they don't own themselves.

I also see people calling this unit the PSP-4K, no-one is actually giving it that name outside this forum as far as I have seen, there is also rumour it isn't a 4K system but they have taken a sidestep. And looking at the unit that could well be true. But we'll see about that at E3 I guess.

What I find interesting is that there's also rumour of a trimmed down PS3 comming! It's supposed to be a lot sleeker than the current system ;D I would probably buy one and use the one I have to make a nice Linux or BSD system :)

I do like the PSP Go! it's casing. Only wtf are those shoulder buttons doing up there? :) We need to airbrake! Really, Pure is downloadable through PSN, this doesn't seem right to me :)

SaturnReturn
31st May 2009, 10:41 PM
AnErare - I'm not sure what you mean. Why would SD be expensive for Sony? Or do you mean to change it to SD for the PSP Go would be expensive? They are using it in some of their products now. I can't remember but maybe it was one of their phones I saw SD being used in. I distinctly remember it because I never thought the day would come.

AnErare
31st May 2009, 10:42 PM
Because they have their own Memory Stick copyrights and patents.

KIGO1987
31st May 2009, 10:47 PM
**** SD on the PSP. If that where to be, Sony would have to pay royalties, and that price hike would go towards the consumer purchasing the product.

AnErare
31st May 2009, 10:51 PM
Exactly, only trouble is they've downscaled it on this system to the M2's.. :/ So we will not be able to use the sticks we already have.. And that means they will see more money flowing into that bucket probably. I don't really mind though, word has it that Sony is not faring well these days and I would surely hate to see it go down the gutter...

infoxicated
31st May 2009, 11:26 PM
I see it still has that terrible on/off/hold power switch.

A definite no sale as far as I'm concerned - it was the most pathetic implementation in the first place and none of the hardware revisions have made any real difference. :-

BARTgai
31st May 2009, 11:35 PM
Not too crazy about the slide-up screen, looks like it could break off easily if you're not careful. I think I'll stick with my 2000.

SaturnReturn
1st June 2009, 12:15 AM
**** SD on the PSP. If that where to be, Sony would have to pay royalties, and that price hike would go towards the consumer purchasing the product.

Currently a 16GB SD card seems to be about £30, whereas an equivalent memory stick costs around £60. That seems like a big cost is already passed on to the consumer. If the price needs to be that high then it must be costing a lot to make them I guess. Doesn't it cost Sony money to maintain the copyrights and patents that AnErare talks about? I assume that and lower volume of sales has to be the reason why memory sticks cost so much. Obviously they'd not make money from sales of memory sticks if they moved to SD, and I guess the royalties they'd have to pay would be to whoever has the patent or license for SD reading equipment? But if it is of so much benefit to Sony to have their own formats then why don't more companies do it? Isn't it possible that they would sell more products if they used SD? Having to fork out twice as much for memory probably puts a fair number of potential customers off Sony products. Also, Sony must have lost a fair amount of money on mini-disc. Although I guess as BD beat HD-DVD they could make money off that. Risk vs. reward?

I'm not really trying to make an argument one way or the other. I'm clueless about this so am really just thinking out loud in an attempt to learn the reasons for Sony to always push their own format. There must be plenty of them I guess, or they wouldn't always do it.

RJ O'Connell
1st June 2009, 12:21 AM
Looking at it again I'm glad I play PSP Wipeout games with the D-Pad. Unless you have a long left thumb that analog nub is going to be BRUTAL.

I just hope diagonals actually work worth a **** on D-pad. I'd be glad to trade up to a 2000 series if it would just give me a D-pad that isn't stiff as a cadaver!

Darkdrium777
1st June 2009, 01:07 AM
Actually, D-Pad may be even worse than the analog nub.
If the PSP's current size is anything to go by, here is my draft of the PSP Go on top of it:
http://f.imagehost.org/t/0440/PSP3000vsPSPGo.jpg (http://f.imagehost.org/view/0440/PSP3000vsPSPGo)

I had to scale up the PSPGo a bit to fit the high resolution PSP-3000 image, I think it's scaled to relatively the appropriate size (I used the screen diagonal).

KIGO1987
1st June 2009, 01:19 AM
When you think about it the GO controls are pretty **** i guess. I actually play Pulse with my analogue nub over the DPAD, so Pulse on the PSP-GO would be utter **** due the far location on the nub, it would of been better located if it was like right next to the DPAD on the bottom left, like in the 1000,2000,and3000 models.

Guess i cant make a final judgement on these things until i see one of these PSP-GOs for realy and hold on of them in my hands.

JABBERJAW
1st June 2009, 01:44 AM
If this thing has bluetooth capability, I'm sure the ps3 controller will work on it. I'd still rather have a usb in, but I'd be happy just with that. My psp can becone a console after all.

rdmx
1st June 2009, 03:57 AM
I found gameboy advance SP's positioning extremely uncomfortable to use in comparison with the original gameboy advance. I'd take controls on either side of the screen anyday.

archman
1st June 2009, 04:26 AM
I see it still has that terrible on/off/hold power switch....

Oh on this 2000 model it's the only thing that I hate. **** the one who created it. You can't "hold" and then "unhold" it. It's a definite psp stand by. Kind of frustrating! :(

KIGO1987
1st June 2009, 10:34 AM
I think the best ergonomically desgined PSP would have to be the 1000 series, its got the width on the rear to hold it in a comfortable position, 2000 and 3000 bit to flat for me.

Sausehuhn
1st June 2009, 11:29 AM
Look how ugly it is.
Seriously: The Front looks ugly. The buttons look ugly, the back looks ugly. Man, it even looks ugly from the sides!
And it looks like 100% plastic.

I really don't like it. If they go for that slide-mechanism (still, I cannot understand why they did not "copy" the Nintendo-DS design so the screen can't scratch) they should at least offer a better design. The first PSP looks ten times better than that.

Plus, there's no UMD drive, yet still the thing looks rather bulky.
I would have liked the concept posted on page 1 of this thread, even if it had to be a bit thicker to get in all the hardware; but what they're relaesing now is simply not the right direction.

There's only one good thing I can think of: Bluetooth.
Let's see if they really use it or if it's just hardware that's never used (anyone remembering the infra-red-sensor?).

My two cents.

KIGO1987
1st June 2009, 12:32 PM
Its the 4th of June that the PSP Go gets reviewed at E3 isnt it?

Well, we'll at least get some more specs by then.

archman
1st June 2009, 02:05 PM
So this PSP Go! crap is confirmed??

KIGO1987
1st June 2009, 02:39 PM
Wait untill the actuall E3 conference from Sony to get the full spec sheet i guess.

Darkdrium777
1st June 2009, 04:21 PM
Nope it's tomorrow. Sony's conference is tomorrow at I think 11AM Pacific time.
I'll be watching live from here (http://www.gametrailers.com/e3/).

KIGO1987
1st June 2009, 05:40 PM
cool, thanks for the Link DD:D

NightArh
3rd June 2009, 02:08 PM
_http://e3.gamespot.com/press-conference/sony-e3/ There are some cool news )

djKyoto
3rd June 2009, 02:55 PM
It looks awesome. I rather have Downloadable games than UMDs. GT + PSP Go pack would be awesome. Plus all those PSP games comming up.

But I really don't understand the price. It's smaller with less moving parts than the existing PSP and its $80US more. Even $199 would be resonable.

KIGO1987
3rd June 2009, 03:08 PM
Its got to be a PS store exclusive, i doubt that it will be available as UMD. Dont think 1.8GB of UMD space would be enough to hold a Gran Turismo game of 800+ cars and 30 tracks.

NightArh
3rd June 2009, 03:24 PM
Downloadable games will prevent high level of piracy I think that is why Sony decided to sell only signed games online for new console

RJ O'Connell
3rd June 2009, 06:27 PM
GTPlanet is saying the game will be available on UMD, which makes sense, it isn't as if the PSP Go is any more powerful than the 3000. They are also trying really hard to make it under 1 GB since the Go! only holds 16GB of flash memory.

infoxicated
3rd June 2009, 06:54 PM
But I really don't understand the price. It's smaller with less moving parts than the existing PSP and its $80US more. Even $199 would be resonable.
I imagine UMD drives are dirt cheap to produce now that they've been doing it for coming on five years - 16Gb of solid state memory probably costs a bit more.

I'm actually quite intrigued by the PSP Go. If I could tether it to my phone via Bluetooth and use the PSP to surf the net with its bigger screen then that'd be cool. I still need to see one in the flesh to gauge the gashness of the on/off/hold switch and the analogue nub position, though.

NightArh
3rd June 2009, 07:12 PM

Console sell price is lower than its cost price cos Sony's main profit is earned from games selling

RJ O'Connell
3rd June 2009, 08:43 PM
New video shows that you can also turn the system on by flipping the screen out (http://kotaku.com/5277695/watch-the-psp-go-sliding-in-action).

NightArh
3rd June 2009, 08:59 PM
Sony never produces a ****. It is a good device

micky1984
4th June 2009, 08:32 AM
The pspgo is a really attractive piece of kit for me, my old psp is kinda broken due to the nub stick sending out false signals (im always moving right) so i dont play it anymore, titles like jak and daxter gran torismo make it feel like there re launching the sytem all over again. but i guess the main reason i like it is the size and hard drive space :) I like the fact that ill be able to store most things on my ps3 ( 300 gig) and then swap to pspgo when needed, it makes the two systems seem more linked in my opinion. so i for-see the pspgo taking a small chunk of my loan come next term :cowboy gotta love being a student