PDA

View Full Version : What are you reading now?

blackwiggle
28th May 2009, 10:44 AM
I saw this at one of the larger book stores in Sydney and it perked my interest as it seems such a absurd premise.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - By Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-smith.

http://www.chroniclebooks.com/index/main,book-info/store,books/products_id,7847/title,Pride-and-Prejudice-and-Zombies/

ACE-FLO
28th May 2009, 12:01 PM
Just finished reading "Skunk Works" about Lockheed, Americas Aeronautical geniuses. This book details all their projects from the 'Ben Rich' era... who is accredited with bringing us the F117a Stealth Bomber, only, they invented it in the 60's - we didn't see it until the 90's... a very remarkable book, which is very thought provoking!

mdhay
28th May 2009, 12:12 PM
This thread.

KIGO1987
28th May 2009, 12:17 PM
Im reading this thread right now, along with some uni books.

I think aviation/air travel/space travel hasnt really advanced since the 1970s, have a look. The only supersonic commercial plane the Concorde is not in flight anymore, and it hasnt been replaced by a superior model. Instead we a still flying around in boeing 767s from the 70s still. Same with the Space Shuttle, that thing has been around in the 70s too, thats due to go out of commission at decades end. And there is nothing that is replacing it either. What about travelling to the moon, **** how long has it been since anybody's been up there? Since the 70s also. You would expect technology in the 21st century to be a bit more advanced than it already is, instead of computers running on inferior windows Vista.

ACE-FLO
28th May 2009, 12:30 PM
Kigo, all good points... and I do agree with you here. The reason I mention Lockheed, is because if anyone in the world could perfect anti-gravity technologies - my bets would be on these guys. The book was published after the 30 year official secrets act. When this info has to become public knowledge.

I wonder what secret military projects they're working on now?

KIGO1987
28th May 2009, 12:39 PM
The Aurora

ACE-FLO
28th May 2009, 12:44 PM
Borialis?

KIGO1987
28th May 2009, 12:51 PM
1989-today

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread60763/pg1

ACE-FLO
28th May 2009, 01:24 PM
Nice link Kigo - Here's the script from the site for those of us interested in it:

"Does the United States Air Force or one of America's intelligence agencies have a secret hypersonic aircraft capable of a Mach 6 performance? Continually growing evidence suggests that the answer to this question is yes. Perhaps the most well-known event which provides evidence of such a craft's existence is the sighting of a triangular plane over the North Sea in August 1989 by oil-exploration engineer Chris Gibson. As well as the famous "skyquakes" heard over Los Angeles since the early 1990s, found to be heading for the secret Groom Lake (Area 51) installation in the Nevada desert, numerous other facts provide an understanding of how the aircraft's technology works. Rumored to exist but routinely denied by U.S. officials, the name of this aircraft is Aurora.

The outside world uses the name Aurora because a censor's slip let it appear below the SR-71 Blackbird and U-2 in the 1985 Pentagon budget request. Even if this was the actual name of the project, it would have by now been changed after being compromised in such a manner.

The plane's real name has been kept a secret along with its existence. This is not unfamiliar though, the F-117a stealth fighter was kept a secret for over ten years after its first pre-production test flight. The project is what is technically known as a Special Access Program (SAP). More often, such projects are referred to as "black programs."

So what was the first sign of the existence of such an aircraft? On 6 March 1990, one of the United States Air Force's Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird spyplanes shattered the official air speed record from Los Angeles to Washington's Dulles Airport. There, a brief ceremony marked the end of the SR-71's operational career. Officially, the SR-71 was being retired to save the $200-$300 million a year it cost to operate the fleet. Some reporters were told the plane had been made redundant by sophisticated spy satellites.

But there was one problem, the USAF made no opposition towards the plane's retirement, and congressional attempts to revive the program were discouraged. Never in the history of the USAF had a program been closed without opposition. Aurora is the missing factor to the silent closure of the SR-71 program.

Testing such a new radical aircraft brings immense costs and inconvenience, not just in the design and development of a prototype aircraft, but also in providing a secret testing place for aircraft that are obviously different from those the public are aware of.

Groom Dry Lake, in the Nevada desert, is home to one of America's elite secret proving grounds. Here is Aurora's most likely test location. Comparing today's Groom Lake with images of the base in the 1970s, it is apparent that many of the larger buildings and hangars were added during the following decade. Also, the Groom Lake test facility has a lake-bed runway that is six miles long, twice as long as the longest normal runways in the United States. The reason for such a long runway is simple: the length of a runway is determined either by the distance an aircraft requires to accelerate to flying speed, or the distance that the aircraft needs to decelerate after landing. That distance is proportional to the speed at which lift-off takes place. Usually, very long runways are designed for aircraft with very high minimum flying speeds, and, as is the case at Edwards AFB, these are aircraft that are optimized for very high maximum speeds. Almost 19,000 feet of the runway at Groom Lake is paved for normal operations.

Lockheed's Skunk Works, now the Lockheed Advanced Development Company, is the most likely prime contractor for the Aurora aircraft. Throughout the 1980s, financial analysts concluded that Lockheed had been engaged in several large classified projects. However, they weren't able to identify enough of them to account for the company's income.

Technically, the Skunk Works has a unique record of managing large, high-risk programs under an incredible unparalleled secrecy. Even with high-risk projects the company has undertaken, Lockheed has a record of providing what it promises to deliver."

So... Yep - Lockheed gave the USA the SR71 (BlackBird) capable of Mach 3...

The Manned and Unmanned "U2" Spy Plane - One of the reasons the cold war ended... (The early prototypes were put into test with bycyle wheels - Pilots had to sign a disclaimer stating if they died - Lockheed were not to be held responsible - and Pilots did die)

The F117a Stealth Bomber

The D21 Spy Drone... Deployed from a B-52

These guys are secret military technology experts... Whatever these sites speculate - it is still only speculation, My guess - after reading "Skunk Works" is that whatever projects Lockheed is working on now - goes well into the realm of Science -Fiction. They do not design/manufacture commercial craft at all - they exist solely to provide High Tech seriously Star - Trek type technologies to the US government... To think - we didn't know about the F117a til 1993, What are they playing with now? It's not the Aurora - that is old hat Kigo - They're playing with even more crazier and dangerous ideas... I like them!

blackwiggle
28th May 2009, 01:34 PM
Jane Roberts-[A seth book] -The Nature of Personal Reality [Since this seems to be veering into the esoteric]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Roberts

READ it before you knock it as nonsense,it's makes you think,if nothing else.

It is as enlightening as any philosophical treatise as proposed by the most venerated philosophers.

A lot easier to read as well in comparison Jung,Freud,Nietzsche,Sartre.

mic-dk
28th May 2009, 01:46 PM
I'm taking a time-out from the heavier stuff and are currently plowing through Peter F. Hamiltons Night's Dawn Trilogy.

It's always nice with some space opera after a very entertaining book on the danish king Christian VII :)

Zoth-Ommog
28th May 2009, 01:47 PM
Donald Duck..

ACE-FLO
28th May 2009, 01:47 PM
Jane Roberts-[A seth book] -The Nature of Personal Reality [Since this seems to be veering into the esoteric]

Yes, well - when you start a thread such as this one - you cannot maintain control over which way it will go BlackWiggle... Everyone reads different books.

We all percieve the world differently, and yes - the nature of thought is provoking thought itself is it not? Someone once told me - you're an individual, just like everyone else hahahahhahahahhahha.....

But mate - 5 stars on the thread - I actually had this idea myself, but didn't follow it through for some reason, I'm glad you did!

lunar
28th May 2009, 03:13 PM
Looks interesting, Blackwiggle, but maybe not one for late night reading alone :cold ;)

I can`t claim to be reading anything except emails and the internet at the moment, but I recently read Bill Bryson`s "A Short History of Nearly Everything" which is great for people who love science but don`t always understand it or have the time to read hundreds of difficult books. Also it has some great descriptions of what would happen to the earth in the case of a meteor strike and other disasters!

The last book I read, which I finished a couple of days ago is "The Third Policeman" by Flann O`Brien. It is a really hilarious, gripping and strange book, with a fantastic first sentence:

"Not everybody knows how I killed old Phillip Mathers, smashing his jaw in with my spade; but first it is better to speak of my friendship with John Divney because it was he who first knocked old Mathers down by giving him a great blow in the neck with a special bicycle-pump which he manufactured himself out of a hollow iron bar."

Ethil
28th May 2009, 04:05 PM
At the moment, I'm reading (well, not right now, obviously) Jennifer Government, by Max Barry. It's quite fun, easy to read, etc... You guys should check it out.

ACE-FLO
28th May 2009, 06:31 PM
I've read that one - John Nike or something was a helluva character in tha tbook man - Yep - you're right, a lot of fun (humorous to feck) and easy to read - I remember making the mistake of reading this one on the way to work a few years ago, and laughing loudly on the train... Needless to say, I had to get off the next stop and swap carriages lol...

Since then I stopped taking books to work with me hahahaha:lol

omega329
28th May 2009, 07:51 PM
Watchmen, for the third time in two months.

Lion
29th May 2009, 01:09 AM
I just finished reading House to House, which is about soldiers in falluja, iraq
now I am reading Cathedral of the Sea, by Ildefonso Falcones. it follows a family in Catalonia in the early 1300s

blackwiggle
31st May 2009, 04:33 AM
Just started re reading The Gap series by Stephen Donaldson.
One of the best SC-FI series ever written IMHO,book two "Forbidden Knowledge" is un put downable even at re read stage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gap_Cycle

I read that this "was" going to be made into a movie [got into pre production stage],and that Russell Crow was cast initially [not as Angus]
Don't know who bought the rights to it,suspect it was Ridley Scott.

AG-wolf
31st May 2009, 04:41 AM
Sonic the Hedgehog: Issue 200

Harvai
31st May 2009, 09:01 AM
It's not a book, but I'm reading through issue 11 of Top Gear Australia magazine.

IDReaper
1st June 2009, 12:48 PM
Mechwarrior: Dark Ages, Flight of the Falcon

Decided to re-read it. I love my mech combat/political insanity fix.

ACE-FLO
5th June 2009, 12:53 PM
Just re-reading "Growing indoors and outdoors in soil and hydroponics" by George Van Patten.... Using it mainly for reference :redface::naughty:rock

ACE-FLO
27th June 2009, 01:12 AM
Just finished reading "skunk works" again, authored by Ben Rich, the guy who ran the joint.

Skunk Works, or Lockheed as it's formally known, is the USA's secret aircraft development facility. Area51 peeps. They have the U2 spy plane, the SR71 blackbird and the F117a stealth bomber to their credit to name a few...

Currently, they are looking into Anti-Grav vertical lift aircraft technology. If anyone can make this possible, it's these guys!

Recommended reading for Wipeout crazies like me!

... and about to start reading "Killing Pablo" by Mark Bowden (author: Black Hawk Down)

The book follows the rise and fall Pablo Escobar. It exposes for the first time the massive covert operation led by US special forces to hunt down the man described as "the billionaire godfather of international drug trafficking." - Cool **** imo.

q_dmc12
27th June 2009, 03:14 AM
my facebook

Rapier Racer
28th June 2009, 10:47 PM
The official inFamous strategy guide. DAMN THOSE BLAST SHARDS ALL 350 OF YOU!!! *rampant fist shakery*

RedScar
28th June 2009, 10:55 PM
Neuromancer - William Gibson

infoxicated
29th June 2009, 09:29 AM
I'm nearing the end of Frank Skinner - On the Road (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Frank-Skinner-Road-Stand-up-Comedy/dp/1844131904/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246267555&sr=8-1). Been reading it since my mum got me it for xmas, but I generally only read for half an hour before I go to sleep at night and for two or three months I was working such long hours I was too tired to do anything but collapse into bed when I got home!

Should be finished it by the middle of the week, though - it's been enjoyable, but not quite as good as his autobiography.

chboing
29th June 2009, 09:56 AM
Neuromancer - William Gibson

veryyyyy good one :)

Mr Phlanj
1st July 2009, 07:15 AM
Im about 2 3rds through Mr Nice the Howard Marks auto biography, it seams that H. Marks was in the always in the right place at the right time to smuggle a silly amount of green to stoners all over the world

in fact alot of customs procedures are in place today for what H. Marks did in the 70's

blackwiggle
1st July 2009, 12:39 PM
Frank Skinners trip to Elvis's home town and the search if the blue shirt was one of Elvis's originals was quite sad.

A classic case of FAN V' FOOL.

GreenPhazon
1st July 2009, 01:33 PM
Jack Kerouac - On the Road

ACE-FLO
5th July 2009, 11:56 PM
Im about 2 3rds through Mr Nice the Howard Marks auto biography, it seams that H. Marks was in the always in the right place at the right time to smuggle a silly amount of green to stoners all over the world

in fact alot of customs procedures are in place today for what H. Marks did in the 70's

next one to read would be "the emperor wears no clothes" by Jack Herrer...

BulletWraith
6th July 2009, 04:12 AM
Alan Watts: Does it matter?
A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada: Bhagavad Gita as it is

-zer:donutshen

ACE-FLO
9th July 2009, 10:29 PM
A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada: Bhagavad Gita as it is

In Sanskrit? ;)

Lance
9th July 2009, 10:56 PM
In Inuit?

mic-dk
15th July 2009, 05:14 AM
Neal Stephenson - Anathem

A bit wierd the first 10-20 pages, but I soon got into it. Looks like decent entertainment for the coming days.

G'Kyl
15th July 2009, 05:55 AM
Interesting. I haven't heard about someone reading the Gita for years. (Not that nobody ever did, of course.) How did you come across it?

I'm reading "House of Leaves" by Mark Z. Danielewski these days after a colleague recommend it.
Interesting book since it reads like a dissertation about a documentary of eerie phenomena. Only it's incomplete, there are pages missing, then there are only scribbled notes somewhere on the page, crosses, younameit - while the real story seems to come from the annotations of a guy who read the documentary and got his life turned upside down... Don't know if it's scary yet, but technically it's very interesting and well written.

Ben

Rapier Racer
15th July 2009, 05:16 PM
'Hitman' by Bret Hart, waited for 3 hours on Sunday to get it signed by him, legend!

stin
25th July 2009, 08:26 AM
This book I`m reading at the moment is Deadline, the author is Simon Kernick.

It`s about Kidnappers and timing!

Pretty good read.

stevie:)

Harvai
25th July 2009, 10:00 AM
Finished reading Jeremy Clarkson's I Know You Got Soul.

stinkleroy
25th July 2009, 10:50 AM
Have just started reading Papillon again, one of my all time favourite books :nod

Mr Phlanj
25th July 2009, 11:30 AM
finished Mr Nice and have started on Terry Pratchetts Nation

willsgb13
26th July 2009, 08:13 PM
just listened to audiobooks of children of men by p.d james and the god delusion by richard dawkins;

the former is an interesting study of an impotent world but the protagonist who pretty much narrates isn't a very likeable or empathetic character, and it's a pretty drab and depressing novel for the most part - understandably - but the final third when we discover julian is actually pregnant and we follow their efforts to find seclusion and get the baby born is ridiculous unfortunately and seemed hastily put together, certain important events needless and/or distracting and/or convoluted. blah blah it's a good listen all the same, particular the first third

the latter is a good deconstruction of the God hypothesis and the concept and power of religion and offers a solid alternative in the form of atheism, reinforced with reasoning and logic in every aspect, and there is no bias against any particular religion, or loss of perspective leading to a complete abhorence for the entire religion, instead a critique of the negative aspects of muslim, jewish, christian etc. faiths; however, the argument against religion and God and supernatural figures and faith in preference towards logic and science is pursued with a zeal akin to that of many of those negatively dismissive and aggressive and influential elements of religions which he attacks, and that underlying hypocrisy and inability to take a more impartial and objective stance on the argument undermines the book slightly. still some very interesting discussions about the bible, about startling fundemantalist campaigns both christian and muslim, about the possibility of alien life and observations on our universe, a convincing argument factoring evolution into the statement against the probability of a God figure - if he exists as most religions portray him then he'd be the last being in existence, not the first - an examination of natural selection and evolution and another on memes with regards to explaining how religion has become so embedded in our various cultures and more.

planning to start reading cloud atlas by david mitchell next. also quite fond of the audio book after listening to those 2. makes work fly by. a little anti-social though, and detrimental therefore, especially for someone who's already socially awkward, such as myself :? nomnomnomnomnom bookworm

slimjim
26th July 2009, 10:31 PM
I am reading Vulcan 607, The Regement, Bravo Two Zero

Motorsagmannen
27th July 2009, 02:09 AM
just finished on "Maus" by art spiegelman

finished Mr Nice and have started on Terry Pratchetts Nation

im reading terry pratchett at the moment as well, "Men at arms" in the discworld series. he is an awesome writer.

silverfoxy
27th July 2009, 06:13 PM
Started reading a book of short stories today by Jeffrey Deaver called More Twisted. Perfect for the train journey to work, read 1 on the way and 1 on the way home.

willsgb13
27th July 2009, 07:45 PM
only terry pratchett i've read is good omens written with neil gaiman, but was impressed - kind of standard epic supernatural-meets-humanist gaiman fare mixed in with some dogma / hitchhikers guide to galaxy lols, compelled to read more pratchett

Mr Phlanj
3rd August 2009, 10:13 PM
im reading terry pratchett at the moment as well, "Men at arms" in the discworld series. he is an awesome writer.

nice, thats a well good one.

finished the nation may get started on one of the many dean koontz books i have

YouAreFubar
4th August 2009, 10:59 PM
To be honest, I dont usually read. I much prefer my entertainment to be of the interactive or musical variety. But for my birthday last month one of my friends got me 'This is Your Brain On Music' by Daniel Levitin, and it explores the human obsession of music. The author is a neuroscientist who used to be a record producer and all the reviews and write ups say its good. Ive only got past the introduction so far, explaining how the author got into music and the basic premise of what he is exploring through the book, and its really interesting and I cant wait to get into the details.

Lance
5th August 2009, 02:33 PM
That would be a really interesting subject to me. Love of music seems to be characteristic of all humans. I know that might be a rash generalisation, but I do not recall EVer meeting a human who doesn't like music of one sort or another. I do wonder why that is.

Another question would be: Do other species of primates, and even non-primates like music? Does it give them pleasure, or do they even react to it at all? Does it require a humanlike brain to interpret the sounds as music instead of just noise? I suspect that very little research has been done in that field.

mdhay
5th August 2009, 05:05 PM
TAnother question would be: Do other species of primates, and even non-primates like music? Does it give them pleasure, or do they even react to it at all? Does it require a humanlike brain to interpret the sounds as music instead of just noise? I suspect that very little research has been done in that field.

I, for one have no idea, but you can change the way a spider spins its web if you give it LSD, Cocaine, or Ecstasy.:lol:D

mic-dk
5th August 2009, 05:18 PM
Well, these cows (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/1408434.stm) likes Simon & Garfunkel :)

I finished Anathem a while back and has only managed to open the collected Watchmen comics. It's nice and all, but I think I'm missing the point. It being heralded a masterpiece and all....

OBH
5th August 2009, 05:31 PM
Terry Pratchett - The Light Fantastic :g

willsgb13
6th August 2009, 11:18 PM
made a start on cloud atlas, not gotten far into it yet, and planning to get the new pynchon, forgot what it's called but the premise sounds good

might also give a few koontz books a read, i have a few lying around and tried them as a kid but never got them, intrigued to try again

and peoples' love of music probably comes from a desire for patterns, familiarity and expression, but there's obviously a lot more to it then that and i can't i'm knowledgable on the topic, but i find it interesting... may pick up the book youarefubar talks about

and i also tried reading watchmen, after watching the film, and i don't see why it's so amazing personally, but i'm only on the 4th issue, and it's not bad either. not particularly a fan of the story though, i think it wasn't that great actually, although i really dig dr manhatten as a characterand find him fascinating, same goes for rorshach, who's far more eerie in the comic, and ozymandias. i prefer the movie comedian, however. also love comic silk spectre - mainly because she's proud of her polish heritage :rock

stin
17th August 2009, 04:03 PM
Right!, I have had read Deadline from Simon Kernick, great book, but I decided to try Relentless by the same author and that was a great read which finished in two days!:o.

Linda bought a book for me and it`s called Peterhead Porridge from former prisoner James Crosbie, I did read and seriously, it`s so funny and they are all true. I would recommended everybody for this book.

Now, atm , I`m reading Kingdom by Tom Martin, another pretty good read too.

Also, I do really want to buy all Simon Kernick`s books

willsgb13
17th August 2009, 05:44 PM
not heard of any of them :/

trying V by pynchon, not an easy read but some interesting stuff there, not gotten far into it yet

cloud atlas is also challenging, the first chapter is by an american in new zealand in the late 1800s i believe? and the language is appropriate, and convincing, if not effortless to follow. perhaps the comic is better for such language? i found the league of extraordinary gentlemen utterly effortless, and too short, and it used similar tongue, if in a more jocular fashion

DawnFireDragoon
17th August 2009, 10:00 PM
Terry Pratchett - The Light Fantastic :g

hell yeah. i love terry pratchett, the discworld series is amazing. i own the whole series and re-read them regularly. And he got me into Neil Gaiman too, through Good Omens, which they wrote together.

which brings me to the short book by Neil called Stardust.

If you have only seen the movie. you should read the book. darker, different ending and very interesting. the movie was really good. But i loved the book.

just finished that, and it was a great little read.

okam
18th August 2009, 10:33 AM
Just got started on Lila, by Robert M. Pirsig, a book I have had for ages but never really got around to reading. Cost me about a pound at the local Salvation Army thrift store.

Not sure how much reading I will get done to be honest, since my semester just started and I have course work and a rather large collection of japanese literature history texts to get through in the next 3 months.

Tomahawk
18th August 2009, 12:33 PM
Another fan of the discworld series by Terry Pratchett here. I'm reading FEET OF CLAY at the moment. Love it like most of the other ones from the series I've read. Best one until now was WEE FREE MEN imo. That one made me burst out laughing every single page! :)

DawnFireDragoon
18th August 2009, 11:41 PM
I love the Watch discworld books. Guards Guards was excellent and one of his best. And Nightwatch is great too. too many to pick a favourite really.

I'm now reading Crooked Little Vain by Warren Ellis (if anyone knows of him, you know how crazy and messed up this book will be/is)

only on chapter 4, but it's so %^&$ed up and funny at the same time!

Mr Phlanj
21st August 2009, 08:28 AM
now im onto adam roberts - gradisil

Aeroracer
24th August 2009, 01:08 AM
qur'an..a top read, :dizzy:dizzy

designer_79
24th August 2009, 01:56 AM
Reading ''Wolf Totem'' winning book of the man Asian literary prize 2007.

Great story about a young guy sent to inner Mongolia during the cultural revolution in mainland China 1969. Despite living the harshest life amongst Mongolian herdsmen, and with the constant threat of the wolves this is a compelling story about a young guy finding his destiny far away from home but not far enough to be out of reach of the Red Guards ...

movie worthy if just the right director could do it.

DrMannevond
24th August 2009, 03:25 AM
Just finished Blindsight (again) by Peter Watts. Probably one of the most mind-bending hard scifi books I've ever read. The aliens in this book are seriously alien, and the main characters are all pretty borderline too, including the vampire (yes - hard scifi and vampires in the same book, but it works!) who makes pretty much every other vampire ever made up look like fluffy kittens. And that's just scratching the surface. I can literally open this book on any page and immediately start enjoying it, just because of all the insane ideas the author throws in there, and it's also the reason I get a shiver down my spine every time I look at the night sky and think of this book.

Haywire_Guy
24th August 2009, 12:43 PM
HoverCar Racer (Matthew Reily) and The Weather Makers (Tim Flannery). Both awesome books.

Honestly HoverCar racer is probably the best futuristic racing novel ive ever read, any fan of Wipeout should be able to enjoy this book to its highest descent.

ACE-FLO
24th August 2009, 12:59 PM
qur'an..a top read, :dizzy:dizzy

Most definitely is! One of my fave chapters is 'Mary' - about the mother of Jesus. Interesting to note that Jesus is regarded as a Prophet in Islam, and Mary (mother of Jesus) is honoured also... also, where in the Old/New testament is a chapter for Mary? if genealogy was so important to the early Christians, they shoulda chronicled Jesus' early miracles... strange huh?

Aeroracer
24th August 2009, 06:52 PM
emperor constantine of rome took it out when he made up the bible.vatican never put it back in...i think..i know bible has loads of stuff removed from it.

Lance
24th August 2009, 09:14 PM
I've just now been reading some of my own stuff. Self-absorbed, maybe? Yes.

DISRUPTOR
25th August 2009, 03:33 PM
I take it that your a writer. What type of things do you write about.

Lance
25th August 2009, 05:14 PM
Only an amateur. Used to write almost nothing but very short poems, now expanded to poetic prose and a few short stories; most are vEry short, what some people call ficlets. The longest is less than 13000 words, a romance based on cars. :D
Yes, I realise that tells almost nothing of what the writings are about. ;)

sny
25th August 2009, 07:54 PM
I'm nearing the last pages of 'Beyond Lies The Wub', which is a collection of novels and short stories by Philip K. Dick. It's amazing how thought-provoking even his earliest works (that are often only 8-10 pages!) can be... he's a genius of sci-fi. :robot

DISRUPTOR
25th August 2009, 10:19 PM
Lance, perhaps you could post an example of your work on the forum, if you felt like doing so.

Lance
25th August 2009, 10:35 PM
My work is already on my livejournal, another forum, an internet archive, and two of the poems were published in a book [and on T-shirts and coffee cups], so I think the WZ would not be the right place.

IH8YOU
26th August 2009, 04:57 AM
What am I reading? I don't usually read unless something REALLY captures me, and/or it's required for school / work, ect... Right now, I'm reading: The Universe in a Single Atom. Written by the Dalai Lama. Just about the only "spiritual figure" I have a great deal of respect for. Thus far, a great read.

ACE-FLO
26th August 2009, 05:36 PM
I'm reading "the Player of Games" by Iain M Banks... a future sci-fi novel

Also reading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Huntes S Thompson, for like the 4th time...

Oh, the last of my current selection of squeeze-reads is a book written by a friend. it's untitled, and the story centres around feudal Japan (Edo Period) and is pretty violent! Ninjas and Samurai everywhere! Must say, it's quite good actually... well done to my friend - Masi Misako!

stin
3rd September 2009, 07:58 PM
Now, I`m reading Sword Of God and the author is Chris Kuzneski.

It`s mixes with the army and secrets of history over religiously!.

I just started reading this morning and I`m passed 200 pages tonight!:eek

Lance
3rd September 2009, 09:29 PM
I'm thinking you were not on the golf course today. :D

As for me, I've read a few LJ pages, Ars Technica articles, forum entries, and a gaming magazine. I'm not sure that I'd recommend the combination for intellectual expansion or emotional satisfaction, but it's been fairly interesting so far.

stin
3rd September 2009, 09:31 PM
Actually, I`m working then;), just between lunch breaks!:)

so, no golf due bloody rain!:( but, I am trying get into golf as much as I can!

Rapier Racer
3rd September 2009, 09:47 PM
Poor Stevie its going to rain till Saturday.

I'm still reading my Bret Hart Book, what? Don't look at me like that it's quite a thick book you know.

willsgb13
4th September 2009, 08:02 PM
started 'v' by thomas pynchon and 'cloud atlas' by david mitchell simultaneously, found them both intriguing and challenging, the former written in the first few chapters in slangish tongue and with a seemingly darkly comedic tone, the latter written in the first few chapters in 19th century english, intend to start them both again soon when i am ready to absorb and appreciate them fully. also have the new pynchon, 'inherent vice', on the back burner, excellent premise about a private eye and the cultures of the 70s and 80s i believe

bought 'world war z' by max brooks and 'pride and prejudice and zombies' by obviously jane austen and some guy called seth grahame-smith - the former is written as a detailed factual account of a world war with zombies, and the latter is what it says on the tin, can't wait to start both

currently however a girl at work who's leaving to go home forever gave me a bunch of films, music and other stuff as a leaving present which rocked, and among the stuff was audio books, which get me through work really well. currently listening to chuck palahniuk's recently adapted 'choke' read by himself, it's fascinating and not always easy to stomach, guy with a really ****ed up mum works at a living museum and pretends to choke at restaurants so people save him and pay his bill, upshot is he turns ordinary people into heroes, oh yes - he's also a sex addict and his mum's degrading to her death in a mental hospital. some very interesting stuff on objectively seeing the world anew and philosophy as well as a teasingly constructed plot. was also given 'haunted' and 'diary' by the same author, '2001 - a space odyssey' by arthur c clarke and 'the shock doctrine' by naomi klein. i'm thinking my mind is in line for a lot of opening

also i forgot to add 'the bourne ultimatum' by robert ludlum. it's not got the same smarts or novelty or tension or perhaps direction as the original 'identity' or the first sequel 'supremacy' which is my personal favourite bourne novel, but it's engrossing and difficult to put down all the same

Mu5
6th September 2009, 12:20 AM
Sorry wrong place :)

ACE-FLO
6th September 2009, 02:59 AM
hahahahahahaha ... HAhahahahaha - what? You're reading the CD sleeves? Hahahaha ... ouch, stomach cramp! :)

stin
15th September 2009, 07:27 PM
Now, I`m reading The Lost Symbols by Dan Brown which this book just released today and I`m passed 100 pages already!!

This book is different compare the rest of the Da Vinci and Angels and Demons.

It`s pretty gripping stuff as The Hand of Mysteries!

Quite compelling read.

If you like all his books then you will love this one!:rock

ACE-FLO
15th September 2009, 07:35 PM
Ah, cheerz Stevie! :) I really enjoyed Angels and Demons (the illuminati diamond was genius) - and now his new book will be in collection pretty soon. Need to get it asap... I got nothing to read - except minds lol

willsgb13
15th September 2009, 10:19 PM
never read any dan brown, but like with rowling's work, the hype and the tenuous quality of the adaptations puts me off the source material

just finished 'diary' and 'haunted' by palahniuk and christ, disturbing stuff. some excellent insight in both though. not easy to digest some horrific plot material, however. moving on to '2001: a space odyssey' :rock

RedScar
15th September 2009, 10:38 PM
Count Zero - William Gibson

Lance
15th September 2009, 11:09 PM
moving on to '2001: a space odyssey' :rock

A book which was based on the movie which was based on a short story. :)

willsgb13
15th September 2009, 11:44 PM
i heard clarke and kubrick wrote it together, amirite?

ACE-FLO
16th September 2009, 12:28 AM
I'm reading deja-vu - by Willsgb13 :D

Lance
16th September 2009, 04:07 PM
Clarke and Kubrick wrote the screenplay together, yes. The original short story Clarke wrote was called The Sentinel. His novel, Childhood's End, which is one of my favourites of his works, also influenced the story line.

mdhay
16th September 2009, 04:33 PM
I'm reading the Killzone 2 guide/walkthrough. I want all the intel.:twisted

willsgb13
19th September 2009, 11:07 AM
i shall not repeat myself anymore then.

lance, yeah, clarke actually talks about that before the novel gets started on the audiobook. interesting stuff and i applaud their mission which was as far as i can tell utterly successful

they wanted to make the SF epic and what better way to comment on the world through futurism and speculative science then to examine the mystery of life itself and to tie it to the vastness of the void with swathes of grand classical music and realism that belies its age as well as a poignantly artful stance

i also like how the novel takes an explanatory role all the while revelling in it as though you can retain the wonder of something even after it's demystified which is less difficult to envision because of the sheer vast grandeur of the topic while the movie shows but doesn't tell

Harvai
20th September 2009, 05:01 AM
I'm reading through Tom Clancy's Debt of Honour. I found it in my mum's bookshelf, and so far it's a pretty good read!

Lance
20th September 2009, 03:14 PM
I'd like to read his book, The Hunt For Red October, because I enjoy the movie so much. I've watched it several times, but I've not yet read any of Clancy's novels. I'm pretty certain I'll like them.

willsgb13
20th September 2009, 05:22 PM
i've actually got that book, but have never read it. it's going on my increasingly massive 'to read' pile. it's pretty big, i hope no one mistakes it for a bonfire pile and gets a match :/

Lance
20th September 2009, 07:14 PM
Fahrenheit 451? ;)

willsgb13
20th September 2009, 11:27 PM
should i get that? i don't get it :(

right now i'm reading this thread ho ho

Lance
21st September 2009, 02:33 AM
It's a book about bookburning. The title comes from the burning temperature of paper, supposedly 451 degrees Fahrenheit. It was a sort of joke. My weird sense of humour.

The book is about more than simply bookburning, of course. Ray Bradbury. Sort of a Writer's Writer. Often brilliant.

mic-dk
21st September 2009, 04:31 AM
Yes, you should read Fahrenheit 451 if you haven't done so already. Now.

I just picked up a "Best of 2600 Magazine". Looks like fun, if only to remember when I was younger and irresponsible :D

Lance
21st September 2009, 07:25 AM
Which is somewhat similar to being older and irresponsible. :g

mic-dk
21st September 2009, 08:49 AM
Ha, yeah, well, my rebellion has officially been crushed. I now have a wife, dog and a house. They all need payments... :nod

Still got my motorcycle though, so every morning, driving to work smells a bit of gasoline and freedom. It goes away as I punch in my keycode.

Which reminds me, am I the only one who finds 'Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance' overrated?

Lance
21st September 2009, 02:24 PM
From my experience so far, yes, you're the only one. ;)

I loved that book, though you may want to consider that I read it not long after it was first published, actually when it was first published in paperback. I was struck by the title, being interested in both Zen 'Buddhism' and motorcycles. The comparison of the 'classic' and 'romantic' mentalities struck me pretty forcibly as I have huge doses of the classic analytical technician and of the poet in me.

much later edit: Does anyone know from which T.S. Eliot work the following quotation comes? >
"The awful daring of a moment's surrender/Which an age of prudence can never retract. /By this, and this only, we have existed."

willsgb13
21st September 2009, 06:42 PM
thanks lance and mic, i'll pick it up. goes on my ever-growing-larger list. oops i repeated myself there :nod

lance, as an english lit graduate, to answer your question - no idea :beer

just finished 2001 and love it so much. the audio book reading is full of different sound rooms for different effects for dialogue and stuff and the reader makes a good effort which increases the immersion of the listen. the story itself has also quickly become one of my favourite SF stories - beautifully crafted, with excellent attention to detail and a predictive knowledge of space and the planets and stars and laws pf physics that belies the less knowledgable time it was written, and a wonderful and attractive explanation for each point shrouded in artful, elegantly presented mystery in the film :clap

Lance
21st September 2009, 11:08 PM
Clarke was never less knowledgeable. ;)

mic-dk
22nd September 2009, 07:20 AM
on Zen and motorcycles

Like Kigo would phrase it 'I found it a pile of hippie ********' :D I dunno, it just never hit home for me. I think it's longwinded and so... like... 70s. I guess I'm special that way :)

Oh, and I'll second (third?) any recommendations of Arthur C. Clarke. Rendevouz with Rama blew me away when I read it as one of my first books in english.

Since we're moving into space I also fondly remember Ringworld and sequels.

stin
23rd September 2009, 11:27 AM
The book is The Lost Symbols and the Author is Dan Brown.

Finished it last night! and I loved it! Great great read!

KGB
23rd September 2009, 12:02 PM
I wondered if anyone was reading that Stin. I'm about half way through it. Whatever you think about Dan Brown, he is great at keeping you turn those pages.

ACE-FLO
23rd September 2009, 02:31 PM
Clarke was never less knowledgeable. ;)

Didn't he work on a few projects with NASA? or was that Isaac Asimov?

Lance
23rd September 2009, 02:36 PM
I'm thinking that would much more likely be Clarke; I think Asimov was only a writer of pop-science books for children and of fiction, but not a serious and inventive technology theoretician. Of course, I could be wrong. :g

[One of the earliest pop-science books I read was Inside The Atom, by Asimov.]

ACE-FLO
23rd September 2009, 04:09 PM
It was ole Arthur who worked on projects with NASA - just found this also...

Dwayne Brown
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-1726
dwayne.c.brown@nasa.gov

March 19, 2008

RELEASE : 08-083

NASA Statement on the Death of Arthur C. Clarke

WASHINGTON - The following is a statement from Alan Stern, NASA associate administrator for the Science Mission Directorate at Headquarters in Washington, regarding the death of Arthur C. Clarke:

"Arthur Clarke was a gifted writer of science and science fiction, and an unparalleled visionary of the future, inspiring countless young people throughout the middle and later 20th century with his hopeful vision of how spaceflight would transform societies, economies, and humankind itself.

"Although his personal odyssey here on Earth is now over, his vision lives on through his writing; he will be sorely missed."

Nicely put me thinks...

Lance
24th September 2009, 11:50 AM
For an interesting part of that vision, check out Clarke's 'The Fountains of Paradise'. The space elevator has become controversial in recent years, and with good reason.

IH8YOU
24th September 2009, 10:32 PM
DOE Simplified, Second Edition. :paperbag

DrMannevond
24th September 2009, 11:23 PM
Nearing the end of Dust of Dreams by Steven Erikson. This stuff is getting seriously epic! (As in : Return of the King looks like a bar-room brawl compared to it).
As soon as that is done I'm jumping on 'Nova Swing' by M. John Harrison, one of my favorite sci-fi authors.
Btw - Arthur C. Clarke 'invented' the satellite. And Asimov wrote the Foundation trilogy, which is considered one of the truly great sci-fi epics (It is, except for the nuclear powered wrist-watches:D).
And a fun fact : I went to a used books fair a few years back, and bumped into a guy selling his entire science fiction collection to make room in his library. He didn't care about the money, he just wanted someone who appreciates sci-fi to get the books, so he sold me everything for pocket change, many of them first editions. I was grinning for days!

Lance
25th September 2009, 01:27 AM
Clarke conceived the geostationary communications satellite, but not satellites as an entire class of artificial orbiting objects.

I think. :D

willsgb13
4th October 2009, 01:07 PM
excellent thread for recommendations and stories about lit etc

listening to naomi klein: the shock doctrine - the rise of disaster capitalism and being somewhat shocked at what i'm hearing

just finished reading deadpool: the circle chase and sins of the past and wishing i'd got a more recent deadpool but still seeing how he got built up into the lolworthy character he is today

now ploughing through the daredevil and sin eater and eddie brock stories that made the venom character and enjoying them muchly

please continue with the literary goodness good sirs and fling down your recommendations and reviews and banter for great justice

Lance
4th October 2009, 04:59 PM
Is Spiderman in this? : : Eddie Brock was in at least one of the animated TV series involving the venom being.

willsgb13
4th October 2009, 05:34 PM
yeah that's right it's spiderman, and eddie brock became venom when he bonded with the symbiote after spiderman rejected it. the comic is surprisingly good for one from the tail end of the bronze age of comics and peter parker while sporting the black symbiote is at times aggressive without the awful caricature that helped make the third movie so embarrassing

next comic on my list - swamp thing, the first volume :+

Mr Phlanj
23rd December 2009, 10:29 PM
i finaly finnished Gradisil by adam roberts. i did read 4 other books in that time but it was epic :)

stin
24th December 2009, 09:25 AM
Now, I`m just starting to read Target by Simon Kernick and yes, this is my fifth book and another five to go (one awaiting to get released in March coming)

DrMannevond
24th December 2009, 06:25 PM
Clarke conceived the geostationary communications satellite, but not satellites as an entire class of artificial orbiting objects.

I think. :D

I think you're right. My memory is not what it used to be:)
And the space elevator is looking more and more intriguing, now that they're finally starting to figure out how to make the required materials in bulk. I'm not holding my breath, but at least it's looking more likely that they will be able to build one at some point.
(And Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy has a very nice description of what happens if one ever collapses. Imagine a giant, continuous moving explosion that goes around the planet. Twice. It won't happen with the designs they're proposing now, but that's besides the point. Big explosions are fun!:hyper)
And just to stay on topic : Here's what I read during the last four weeks :
Book 2 of the Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks
Sun of Suns by Karl Schroeder (Awesome!)
The Painted Man by Peter V. Brett
Book 1 and 2 of the Ragamuffin books by Tobias S. Buckell
First Lord's Fury by Jim Butcher
Pushing Ice by Alastair Reynolds (Very Arthur C. Clarke-ish. Reminded me of Rendezvous with Rama, in a good way)
Most of Peter Watts' short stories (finish your next book dammit!)
Right now I'm reading 'Bundle of Trouble' 24-29 of the 'Knights of the Dinner Table'.
After that I'm thinking about starting 'The Quiet War' by Paul J. McAuley or 'The Windup Girl' by Paolo Bacigalupi. Anyone read any of those?

ACE-FLO
15th February 2010, 11:17 AM
I'm reading my bank statement, ... interesting :(

Derren Brown - Tricks of the Mind

Mr Phlanj
16th February 2010, 08:02 PM
almost finnished 'Senior Nice' the 2nd atuo-biography of howard marks (who anyone who smokes the good stuff will like)

willsgb13
16th February 2010, 08:04 PM
calcio by john foot - apt name for an author of a book about the beautiful game, and a man who, as a scholar of italian culture, is well researched and able to provide a vast knowledge of the italian game for perusal and disgestion. and let me tell you, italian football is ****ing fascinating.

- an ancient game similar to the town-wide games english villages used to have, a professional game from the 20s, mussolini siezing the game for the purposes of propaganda and promotion in the 30s, 4 world cups, only one world cup not attended, 3 different clubs winning the european cup, scoring and defensive records, european and world players of the year including first defender - cannavaro, one of the most recognisable tactical systems in football history - catenaccio - a club boss who became president/PM after naming his party after a football chant - berlusconi, countless betting and match fixing scandals, some of the most influential and violent hooligans in the world, a knack for triumphing at the most controversial and difficult moments - 2 world cups under fascism, another 2 after major club scandals - some of the most powerful tragedies in world football - superga and of course heysel, some of the greatest players, teams and moments in world football

admittedly some of those bits are blanket statements to cover individual examples, but it truly is one of the most fascinating footballing nations and makes for a compelling story. i'm 500 pages in and nearing the end, and sad that there is not more to tell. anyway, if you're interested in either italy or football - especially if both - i highly recommend this

mic-dk
16th February 2010, 08:20 PM
'Danish Military History' covering the years 900->2000. It's not as boring as it sounds and not just endless descriptions of battles. It tries, among other things, to explain the powerstructures at any given time - more inspired by Clausewitz' "war as the continuation of politics', than the usual war books.

Also, the tone is at times quite light and they're not afraid to point out particularly stupid dealings of silly kings.

Oh, and book one has a burning swedish ship on the cover which helps a lot too! :lol ;)

SenGoku81
16th February 2010, 08:22 PM
Currently reading The Crow Road by Scottish author Iain Banks, finding it as darkly humorus and morbid as The Wasp Factory was, but there is a bit more substance to this novel. Already I've found myself sharing a quiet, knowing nod with the book regarding some of the situations within. So far there seems to be a bit of that classic theme, the coming of age, covered in the book and a lot of it resonates strongly with me. I've always enjoyed Banks' Sci-Fi and in particular his Culture novels. Are there any other Culture fans amongst you?

Before TCR I was trying to read Salmun Rushdies The Satanic Verses, but for the time being that book in particular gave my mind the slip as I struggled with a very complicated plot. If anyone could better explain Verses to me I'd be grateful.

Next up I've got Catch 22 or The Count of Monte Christo to get stuck into ^^

Aeroracer
16th February 2010, 08:24 PM
10th planet.....

pseudo science theory on homo erectus are geneticaly modified by aliens to become modern day humans..

and....

dr ali's nutrition bible

boring but got some really good food info in it.

stin
17th February 2010, 09:10 AM
I still reading Simon Kernick`s books, well he`s got nine books so far and I read seven of them, brilliant books and atm I`m reading is The Murder Exchange.

But, I also read other books but simon`s books keeps coming back to me.:redface:

ACE-FLO
17th February 2010, 12:27 PM
Sengoku, I like Iain Banks. His idea of a Culture which spans planets is scary. Very clever, very imperial. Drawing parallels with 1st and 3rd world themes in modern times. Clever clever clever. I think I might pick up "the Player of Games", again.

Aeroracer
18th February 2010, 06:55 PM
@ace...your books sounds interesting.....:nod

ACE-FLO
18th February 2010, 08:35 PM
Ah, :) Thanks Jasmin. They were... currently I'm doing more writing than reading. Work has got me working the most effed up hours 2 nights a week, as I have to talk with peeps from the other side of the pond :) tiring... drafting mails and schit. Beside that, I'm at home without much energy to do much except eat and crash... reading just seems too stressful atm. Funny that, coz I always read to relax??? I don't know what's going on there lol... Anyway, at this point in my life, I'm getting into Blu-ray, :g but the novelty will run out as ssoon as I've watched like, 3 more movies - then, I'm gonna get me a good book again :)

Mr Phlanj
18th February 2010, 09:01 PM
i cant remember what it was called but the best sounding book came into my shop today. It's about elvis useing his army training to bring down a KKK plot :D. the thing is it didn't look like a comedy, it just has elvis as the main character :P

willsgb13
20th February 2010, 08:02 PM
'Danish Military History' covering the years 900->2000. It's not as boring as it sounds and not just endless descriptions of battles. It tries, among other things, to explain the powerstructures at any given time - more inspired by Clausewitz' "war as the continuation of politics', than the usual war books.

Also, the tone is at times quite light and they're not afraid to point out particularly stupid dealings of silly kings.

Oh, and book one has a burning swedish ship on the cover which helps a lot too! :lol ;)

i became aware of the rivalry between sweden and denmark through a swedish mate of mine recently; before that i'd always thought there was a sense of amicable respect between the nations :g shame that's not really the case. it's like how liverpool vs everton was supposed to be a friendly derby, with passion but mutual respect, fans sitting together etc. when now it's become as vicious as all the other derbies on and off the pitch. i'd gotten that swedish-danish friendly impression from the 2-2 draw they got in euro 2004 which qualified them both for the knockout stages and knocked italy out. then again after that was that 3-3 qualifying match for the world cup i believe, when the fan came on the pitch and got denmark a 3-0 awarded win, when sweden had fought back to equalise from 3-0 down in the actual game, before that fan's pitch invasion and attacking of the referee i believe forced the game to be called off. might have been the other way round, not sure. but yeah, i'll probably get this for my mate as a prank present :D not sure how well he'll take it ;)

SenGoku81
22nd February 2010, 12:05 PM
I think I might pick up "the Player of Games", again.

Everyone loves the odd, casual game off Azad! ^^

I find his books are always completely turbo-ape-shmidt, lots of underlying themes, mainly moral questions but no answers, that's your problem lol.

I love the Minds, though the Culture is an almost entirely egalitarian system you can't help but think about what the agendas of the minds are. They keep their cards so close to their chests that I'm pretty sure even they don't know what they are. That and I love their penchant for absurd sounding names with a some of my favorites being G.S.V. So Much For Subtlety, G.S.V. Of Course I Still Love You, G.C.U. Only Slightly Bent and G.C.U. Big Sexy Beast to name just a few. ^^

mic-dk
22nd February 2010, 06:38 PM
i became aware of the rivalry between sweden and denmark through a swedish mate of mine recently; before that i'd always thought there was a sense of amicable respect between the nations :g shame that's not really the case.

Oh it's really not that bad. After 800 years of on-off wars, it's gotten quite civilised. Except, when we at Team Nordic has our weekly sessions. I still owe Golgofier for some particularly nasty rockets :D

Besides, I get to laugh and point at burning swedish ships, since they won the last war we had ;)

might have been the other way round, not sure.

It was... That plonker cost us the game. Ironically he lives in Sweden :lol

To turn this back on track, I've just started on "The best of 2600 Magazine". It's a collection of stories from, well, 2600 magazine. Really looking forward to it!

willsgb13
22nd February 2010, 08:28 PM
It was... That plonker cost us the game. Ironically he lives in Sweden :lol

To turn this back on track, I've just started on "The best of 2600 Magazine". It's a collection of stories from, well, 2600 magazine. Really looking forward to it!

so it was denmark!! what a plonker indeed, suitably a polite and equally descriptive way to describe that fan. still, revenge was obtained in the SA world cup qualifiers :lol

calcio does only mention in passing italy's 1968 european championship win, as well as the crespo, almeyda and conceicao world record transfer which was a blatant plus valenze. i was hoping it would maybe go into a transfer which happened involving perugia which was apparently the catalyst for the introduction of the current transfer window schedule, but nothing. it seems like it's skimming things sometimes because there's so much to cover, and it seems subjective in judgement sometimes too, which is very difficult not to seem like when dealing with the problems italian football has. and because i'm a terrible pedant, it would have been good to have lists of club and national team honours, although it does feature appendices, glossary of italian terms and extensive notes expanding on bits covered in the book. a great, encyclopaedic book and fascinating read.

i am now reading brilliant orange by david winner, a book all about dutch football. this is far less in the way of an encyclopaedic document and more of a character study of a nation with a focus on its football; despite the parallels it draws, the writer doesn't claim to have unearthed the key to the dutch condition, rather simply revelling in a progressive, methodical, co-operation built country and how these traits elevated its club and national teams to the top of football as well as introducing a revolutionary playing style that changed football and dazzled the world. the book is far less encyclopaedic, although it still covers most of the important points of club and national football history in holland, even if only in mention; instead it digresses into interviews with artists and architects, journeys around holland, footballing digressions - such as when discussing the fateful 1974 world cup final between holland and west germany, digressions to discuss holland belgium matches, as well as germany's win over hungary in the 54 final and that schumacher battiston semi final in 82 - and examinations of the building of holland, whose countryside and cities are apparently all pretty much man made or at least man shaped, as well as dutch art regarding space and the use of it, and the liberal revolution of the 60s among other things. this book is focused on football but contains enough else and immerses itself in enough other topics to make a good read for a non-football fan. it's also written well and has a certain direction. good book, only problem is it's quite short.

to finish away from football for a change, i'm also about a 3rd of the way through cloud atlas by david mitchell. a lover of travel and of the far reaches of human and literary and genre variety, he crafts stories which capture the imagination and transport you to many different times and places; a merchant ship in the late 1800s i believe, an artist's house in belgium in the 30s or so, america in the 60s i think. tenuous links between the stories so far, but i hope a few of them are returned to. one ends - thus far - in a pleasantly creative way that i'm at pains to reveal. so i won't.

:beer

stin
3rd April 2011, 08:01 AM
The book I did read was Metro 2033, it`s about the Russian underground train`s stations. But anyway, it was a great read and I had thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing.

I knew Metro 2034 is out in the public but can`t get them yet due I`m awaiting for a english version, so that will take time.

If you were wondering why I read this book?, well, my son persuade me to read it and I eventually did and I was hooked!, but he read it first then me.

Yes, I`m aware, there is a game too but I`m not interested and I just like to read books.:)

mdhay
3rd April 2011, 04:14 PM
I really want to read Roadside Picnic, I like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. that much, the book has to be good, you know? :D

bjoern92
3rd April 2011, 04:27 PM
I am reading Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. Pretty famous book i think.
The reason I got into it is that the game Bioshock is inspired by its time and story, and that game is great imo.
Well its a good book :) It has a bit of everything in it.. very philosophical. recommended:nod

DJ Techno
8th April 2011, 02:09 AM
started but not finished

The United States Army Ranger Handbook
the actual and thick book of ranger teachings and practices.

and a important way to get something off ya

Getting rid of the Gorilla, Brian Jones.

For those of you who might have a chip on the shoulder. might want to read this. its easy. not that thick. thats why i said its easy.

andyf53
16th April 2011, 02:37 AM
This is Your Brain On MUsic, Daniel Levitin 2006

Flint Fandango
16th April 2011, 01:41 PM
The Job - Interviews with William Burroughs

Very difficult to read for a foreigner, but it is worth! What a genius!

...From the diary of a six year old boy at the American School in Tangier Morocco: "I get up at 8:30. I eat my breakfast. Then I go to the job."
When asked what he meant by the job he said, "school of course."

runingman111
17th April 2011, 03:04 PM
Scar night - Volume One of the Deepgate Codex from Alan Campbell (http://www.alanmcampbell.co.uk/)

willsgb13
5th June 2011, 12:27 AM
hello everyone, it's been a while, sorry for going AWOL...

i've done a little reading lately, so here is the literature i have most recently digested; most of it, if not all, is actually comics

death note - a japanese manga which is also an anime and a live action pair of films; what i love about this is the battle of wits between kira and L, the intrigue of the struggle between light's web of manipulations and L's ever-intuitive, fearless and relentless drive for the truth, and kira's head; if you don't know, death note is about a literal death note, a book with supernatural powers - it gifts the user with the power of enforcing mortality, and comes with a huge list of unbreakable rules, as well as your very own death god. kira is the anonymous but public figure created by the guy who finds the dropped death note, while L is the best detective in the world, who is hellbent on taking down kira. fun!

wanted - i loved the premise when i read it, but i actually think this was a bit of a missed opportunity. it had its moments, but raced through without developing character much; it's good not to drag too much, but you can also be too pacey, IMO. some uninspiring characters too, a decent plot twist, and a mixed bag in the end; it's certainly a story that speaks to me though, so through bias it's a favourite anyway;

the boys - this is another crass, cynical, self concious comic, but such material walks a tightrope of quality, without a middle ground in my experience; it's either natural and genius, or unnecessary and ugly; ennis is the master in this field though, and the boys continues to be as interesting and hilarious as ever, walking the proverbial comedic tightrope with ease; i highly recommend this black comedy, the crude look at the costumed world of superheroes;

that's it for now, actually. i'm going to be reading a bunch of books presently, including the new sookie stackhouse novel, and angelology which sounded intriguing, thus me getting a copy. peace out boyos

Mr Phlanj
5th June 2011, 05:43 AM
tthose are some good books man, i like how simon pegg is in the boys

Challenger #001
5th June 2011, 11:09 AM
Just finished Throne of Jade, by Naomi Novik. I can't believe it took me THIS LONG to start reading these books. I've been having a lot of moments like that if I'm honest of late. >.>

willsgb13
5th June 2011, 12:22 PM
tthose are some good books man, i like how simon pegg is in the boys

yeah, wee hughie is based on simon, and mr pegg does an introduction for the first volume in recompense tribute.

just to add, i've also been listening to the Riftwar trilogy by Feist on audiobook; great stuff. listening through a second time, about 2/3rds of the way through Magician. it's about a fantasy world beset by war, which does, hilariously at times, borrow heavily from LOTR, star wars and other seminal fantasy stories, but which still stands apart as a magnificent fantasy/SF epic. done for now

xEik
5th June 2011, 01:29 PM
I'm about to finish the fourth (and final) volume of the Chinese classic novel Journey to the West. Some of you may know it by its bonkers serialization called Monkey Magic. Otherwise, it's also the main inspiration for the early Dragon Ball.

BulletWraith
5th June 2011, 01:58 PM
I'm reading: In Tune With the Infinite
by Ralph Waldo Trine
found the book a year back in pretty good condtion, finally starting to read/absorb it
read / download link (http://www.sacred-texts.com/nth/twi/index.htm) from sacred texts

zer:donutshen

MyNameIsBom
6th June 2011, 04:20 AM
deleted

Medusa
7th June 2011, 04:28 PM
Haha I found that really funny!

I'm currently reading Elementary Japanese by Yoko Hasegawa. I find the plot lacking somewhat but engaging enough to continue to the end. I want to find out if Miller-san hooks up with Son-san in the end as they seem to spending a lot of time together!

Seriously though, it's a great textbook.

OBH
14th June 2011, 07:41 AM
Homicide,
Written by the author of The Wire.

willsgb13
25th June 2011, 07:00 PM
i'd read that, the wire was one of the best shows i've ever seen

right now i'm reading Free by Katharine Hibbert, who's a journalist who was made redundant and couldn't afford her flat anymore, twists of fate which solidified her idea and strengthened her resolve to start squatting, which is what she started doing; the book is an account of her experiences and the history, place in law, concept and a general big picture of homelessness, free living in our country and squatting.

i'd heard of squatters before but i didn't know it was legal to trespass as long as you didn't cause criminal damage entering a property, and then illegal to kick anyone out of a property without using one of a small number of court-based procedures, even if they are a squatter. i didn't know very much about that whole world, and it's a daunting prospect to be homeless and the accompanying uncertainties, dangers, prejudices and hardships.

it's a fascinating book though; she obviously speaks up for squatters and activities like skipping and hitch-hiking, denouncing the wastefulness of supermarkets and coffee-shops that feed her and the other squatters and the beaurocracy that creates thousands of empty homes whose inhabitation defines squatters, but she isn't rabidly biased towards an inherently insecure lifestyle which can be construed as scrounging, is on shaky legal ground and is isolated from mainstream society.

it's also a pertinent time to read about such an experience, since mr cameron is talking about criminalising squatting. anyway blah blah, that's what i'm reading right now yo.

stin
25th June 2011, 07:55 PM
I just finished the book called The Turin Shroud, interesting history novel. But now, my mind was starting to drifting away from my realm. So I decided to read my book again as "The Greatest Game Ever Played" as a historical fact from early 1920 through as golfers. Which I`m fascinated to their eras to make their golf alive till now.

ion harvest
18th July 2011, 11:17 PM
I got a book for my birthday in March called "The adventures of Huckleberry Finn". I think it was a joke. So I didint read it. :blarg

When my mates brithday came end of June I got him a book called "How to be happy and get what you want" or something haha. its a revenge thing. I wonder if he reads it :D:mr-t:D

Medusa
28th October 2012, 08:42 PM
Thread REVIVE!!!

Help, I've just had my mind f'd over by Robert Anton Wilson...I began reading The Schrodinger's Cat Trilogy. I think the first five pages are possibly the most brilliant I've ever read in sci-fi, so intelligent and caustic and positively hilarious all at once. If Sheldon Cooper were real, a porn addict, and took a snort of coke before sitting down to write a novel, this is what would come out. Wow I threw the book out partway into Book 2 (except all three books are named Book One, so technically I tossed it in the middle of Book One...)

Finally read Oryx and Crake, which was thankfully brilliant, and reminded me of Atlas Shrugged, which I need to re-read...and I've read through this thread and everything which interests me...I've read...anybody else reading these days and care to share some titles and/or reviews? Lots of people here seem to have similar tastes.

bobbybadfoot
30th October 2012, 02:12 AM
There's a thread for everything around here.. I love this place!!

I'm currently 1/3 of the way through "Don Quixote," and it's been quite an interesting ride so far! Have you tackled that classic yet?

Notable previous reads include:
1) Nicholson Baker's "The Mezzanine." a story about...nothing! the story follows a guy going up an escalator, but the beauty of the novel is in the series of thoughts, memories, praises and blasts running through the character's mind. To me, it feels like the content of an episode of Seinfeld meets a writing style like the plot of Inception.
2) Don DeLillo's "White Noise." A little outdated, a bit of a criticism of the technology generation, but there's some cool thrill and sci-fi tossed in the mix.
3) Bret Easton Ellis' "Less Than Zero" and "Imperial Bedrooms." ("< 0") A disturbing story about the MTV generation. Especially those almost-famous types in 1980s Los Angeles. Imperial Bedrooms is a follow up to the first book, about 20 years after it was published, and is even more disturbing than its predecessor. (There's even some misheard lyrics from The National, if you know them, and that's cool.)

...and, I JUST watched Blade Runner for the first time last night, but it was the Director's Cut so I'm a little lost. Therefore, I've put Phillip K. Dick's "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" at the top of my to-read list.

I haven't perused this thread quite yet, so I'm sorry if any of these have already been mentioned. Hopefully this post is helpful! :)

- - - Updated - - -

There's a thread for everything around here.. I love this place!!

I'm currently 1/3 of the way through "Don Quixote," and it's been quite an interesting ride so far! Have you tackled that classic yet?

Notable previous reads include:
1) Nicholson Baker's "The Mezzanine." a story about...nothing! the story follows a guy going up an escalator, but the beauty of the novel is in the series of thoughts, memories, praises and blasts running through the character's mind. To me, it feels like the content of an episode of Seinfeld meets a writing style like the plot of Inception.
2) Don DeLillo's "White Noise." A little outdated, a bit of a criticism of the technology generation, but there's some cool thrill and sci-fi tossed in the mix.
3) Bret Easton Ellis' "Less Than Zero" and "Imperial Bedrooms." ("< 0") A disturbing story about the MTV generation. Especially those almost-famous types in 1980s Los Angeles. Imperial Bedrooms is a follow up to the first book, about 20 years after it was published, and is even more disturbing than its predecessor. (There's even some misheard lyrics from The National, if you know them, and that's cool.)

...and, I JUST watched Blade Runner for the first time last night, but it was the Director's Cut so I'm a little lost. Therefore, I've put Phillip K. Dick's "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" at the top of my to-read list.

I haven't perused this thread quite yet, so I'm sorry if any of these have already been mentioned. Hopefully this post is helpful! :)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure why that posted twice... sorry!

AGSys
31st October 2012, 08:54 AM
Digital Fortress. I'm loving it so far and I think I will throughout the whole novel. The suspense aspect of it is awesome.

Medusa
31st October 2012, 05:11 PM
Thanks for sharing guys! Going to look for The Mezzanine, and also Mr. Dick's classic, that unfortunately never shows up in secondhand shops, ever. Might have to use the public library this millennium after all.

I haven't found Quixote at a cheap price secondhand yet, it's on my list of "going to buy at some point," therefore I haven't read it. Classics are my absolute favourites, Sir Walter Scott, Hugo, and the like fill up my bookshelf. Poe's Metzengerstein, Ivanhoe, Wuthering Heights, Villette, Count of Monte Cristo, yes, stories that old...some of my particular favourites that come to mind.

bobbybadfoot
1st November 2012, 11:51 PM
Good luck with finding The Mezzanine, too. It was a super-random purchase at a Borders bookstore closeout. But that's one of those books that made me LOL and feel stupid for reading in public. :)

On Quixote: I recommend buying a new copy. I'd heard that your experience with it changes drastically with each different translation (unless you're fluent in Spanish and can read the original), so I read the introduction to 3 different versions before I bought Edith Grossman's translation. If the translation issue doesn't bother you, just snag a free, digital, Gutenberg Project edition.

I've been meaning to read the classics (which is why I picked up DQ). I think I'll check out one of your listed favorites when I finish up with DQ.

Medusa
2nd November 2012, 12:03 AM
On Quixote: ... Edith Grossman's translation. If the translation issue doesn't bother you, just snag a free, digital, Gutenberg Project edition.

Thanks, good translating is a huuuge deal to me. Simple-ish French I can manage (ala Saint-Exupery or Camus), but unfortunately Spanish is N/A in my brain.
I've read Volume One of Cao Xuequin's The Story of the Stone, as translated by David Hawkes, and other translated versions available free are...terrible in comparison. Plus I've done a tiny bit of translation comparison in Bibles, literal vs what's printed as readable... LOL. I've no desire to subject myself to any more terrible translations! I'll follow your advice, Edith Grossman it is!

Let me add The White Company by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle to my list, fabulous novel, if you liked Ivanhoe, The Talisman etc, you'll like it.

bobbybadfoot
4th November 2012, 01:18 AM
I've not read any of those... I will change that soon, I do enjoy medieval stories. Around my city, there's a community called Ivanhoe, and I've been curious about its name's origin so I suppose I might start with that one. (after Don Quixote, of course)

Kasandra
24th November 2012, 11:42 PM
I have read this book and I thought it was realy funny in a intresting way.

I saw this at one of the larger book stores in Sydney and it perked my interest as it seems such a absurd premise.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - By Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-smith.

http://www.chroniclebooks.com/index/main,book-info/store,books/products_id,7847/title,Pride-and-Prejudice-and-Zombies/