PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 3 neGcon

Darkdrium777
27th February 2009, 12:09 AM
BEFORE ANYONE GETS HIS OR HER HOPES UP, THIS IS NOT CONFIRMED BY SONY. Yet.

Would you be interested in a neGcon for the PLAYSTATION 3?

I'm sure you old timers who were born with a neGcon in their hands would wish for a similar controller compatible with the PS3. You've dreamt about it, admit it! :p

Well somebody somewhere drew up a concept of what it could look like, and I've got to say it looks pretty amazing (To say the least and especially to remove any swearing because of hyper duper super excitement)

It's been relayed onto gizmodo from the depths of the interwebz, so I don't think it's official. But it's still pretty damn cool, and if it is official, everyone on this forum and their pet fish would buy one I'm sure. :lol

Anyways, avalanche of pics (In link form, 'cause I don't want an avalanche of Lance)

Pic 1 (http://www.coroflot.com/user_files/individual_files/207196_aHHRBGD9lmHRbBMUrUbhssRRz.jpg) | Pic 2 (http://www.coroflot.com/user_files/individual_files/207196_LpCyehUfF7q6ihPfOga2vV5qt.jpg) | Pic 3 (http://www.coroflot.com/user_files/individual_files/207196_pnx_HIzW9j6D7tgY84gBRawH1.jpg)

Now, take a deep breath, and thoughts?

Personally, if this ever comes to fruition, I'm getting it. Twice.

And I'll leave it at that. If it were possible I'd put too many exclamation points everywhere, but I can't.

!!!!!!!!!! (http://i.gizmodo.com/5160805/playstation-dualshock-vortex-concept-is-twisty-and-crazy) <= Source

yeldar2097
27th February 2009, 12:16 AM
omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg
gimme one of those.
coming from someone who hasn't ever used a neggie.
super sexy. cool name too. great find :+

Lance
27th February 2009, 01:22 AM
Looks vewy, vewy interesting.

IH8YOU
27th February 2009, 02:46 AM
I'd be all over that like white on rice.

I'd rather some Wipeout DLC (cough cough) - but I'd also drop coin for that!

Let's just hope it's built a tad stronger than the old-school one. ;)

blackwiggle
27th February 2009, 11:32 AM
Looks rather fragile compared to a NegCon around the most basic bit ,the place where it twists IMHO
As much as I appreciate the worth of the original NegCon controller and it's ability to put down some REALLY low times in SL & TT events.

Did anybody actually use one for racing?

You would have to adjust the sensitivity of the zero point,and,basically have to learn how to use it to your advantage at that setting.

A preferable situation would be to have preset zero points for each speed class available on call.

I could see that ZONE could be a lot easier with this,[Can you imagine what zones Problem Solver could achieve with one of these ?:eek:eek]

Bring it on regardless,I'll buy one.:lol

stin
27th February 2009, 12:06 PM
Interesting!

Do I want one?, hell nnnnnnnnnnn...........yes!:paperbag

stevie:)

lunar
27th February 2009, 12:18 PM
Wow what a post Xavier!! Amazing, talk about dreams coming true.... is this definitely not an elaborate fake though? That would be :frown:

BulletWraith
27th February 2009, 12:24 PM
I'm not usually so negative but I think that design is utter :turd utter utter :turd
I want a new neGcon as much as anyone else but this aint it, I see far too many designs on Gizmodo and even the odd appearance on Engadget that people think look cool, just because someone knows how to make pretty shapes with a computer doesn't make them a good designer
Grrrrr
*grumble grumble*
rant over

zer:bombshen

Mad-Ice
27th February 2009, 05:33 PM
This looks interesting! But are we sure Supersox isn't involved?:lol

Darkdrium777
27th February 2009, 06:27 PM
I hope it's not another one of his pranks... >.<

:P

komatos
27th February 2009, 09:24 PM
Looks really cool. If they existed, I'd probably buy one or two even before I could afford a PS3, just in case they were a limited edition run. :D

GreenPhazon
27th February 2009, 09:44 PM
Don't get me wrong, that's one of the coolest things I've seen since I last played WOHD, but I have to ask, what's the benefit of the twistyness?

blackwiggle
27th February 2009, 11:11 PM
Sadly it's just a rendered concept by a guy in Israeli called Tamar Fliesher .

The description of all the buttons and functions raised my suspicions as that is NOT how Sony would describe things,even in concept form.
[That was a PITA trying to read that script]

http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/27/dualshock-vortex-concept-controller-brings-the-negcon-out-of-the/

KIGO1987
28th February 2009, 12:27 AM
Ive seen an old Negcon for sale at the cash converters down the road. I should buy it. Do a few rounds of Ridge Racer Revolution in it:D

Asayyeah
28th February 2009, 12:37 AM
Nooooo ...
It's just a ( fantastic) art design ... no reality :( ...

Again a bad dream :blarg

JABBERJAW
28th February 2009, 03:02 PM
that sucks, someone should send this design to sony. The help of the twist, is that you can make slight turns (like in a car), and the game becomes much easier to play, specifically the older games, where pitch was essential. The newer games it would help some, but not by as much.

blackwiggle
28th February 2009, 08:58 PM
It would cost a small fortune if it had all the design features that it shows.

Some are not needed,like the 4 different LED's for battery levels/ controller status,another 4 to show how many players online,covers for the USB port.

The designer had obviously put a lot of thought into the design,at least aesthetically,just the actual twisting bit is a bad design choice.

I doubt it would be as rugged as a NegCon,as the actual twist point on a NegCon was the biggest part,the rendered model seems far too narrow to not suffer material fatigue,and break

Chill
1st March 2009, 03:25 AM
it depends on how well the strong point capability of the joint is... perhaps over some better thought into physics could a jointed point of a neGcon be this small... perhaps even more than one joint could work... ???

Man are there a lotta haters out there... "pshsh what's this crap??" Some people just need to be fed a gigantic whole pan of humble pie!!

I don't care if it was a concept, that means people other than us have strong thoughts about the neGcon coming back, and I say BRING IT ON!!!

blackwiggle
1st March 2009, 05:31 AM
I think you read something into my post that isn't there.

I'm not hating the design or the concept,just pointing out what I though was a probable design problem if it ever made it out into the real world.

Like the Sony headset,looks great,works well,stick one in your ear and tell me it is a good design,hurts like hell wearing it,they should of made it so the ear piece had some flex to it and the edges of it should of been rounded.

As it is, it's like having a dried baby corn shoved in your ear with a 9 volt battery glued to the end.

sequent_blender
1st March 2009, 08:07 PM
Ouch, sounds painful....!! :eek

Chill
2nd March 2009, 03:32 AM
we have the older neGcon to compare to now... hopefully it'll only be better and not worse...

chri5
2nd March 2009, 01:09 PM
can't see it or something similar ever happening, obviously if it did I'd buy one instantly

Chill
2nd March 2009, 11:05 PM
Don't throw the hope away! ;) hey you never know...

IH8YOU
2nd April 2009, 06:13 AM
I'm a bit of a nerd when it comes to electronics and what not - that mock-up of a NeGecon has got me thinking about it.

I think it might actually be possible to retrofit an old-school Neggie to work with the PS3. (tying the motion pitch into the analog-stick X-axis)

I might even try to snag an old one off of Ebay to see if I can combine the two.

Hmmmm.....

Lion
2nd April 2009, 09:22 AM
has anyone tried using a neggie with a ps2-ps3 controller adapter?
does it work with the old games? or (incredible longshot) with wipeout HD?