PDA

View Full Version : Best Madden

JABBERJAW
10th February 2009, 01:02 PM
I haven't been into madden for a while now, and go with the more arcadey football games, but I was curious as to what people thought was the best Madden game(and system). I loved Madden 92(genesis), and Madden 93 is good as well (I have the special edition with 38 super bowl teams). I did not like madden from 94 through 98 because you could not stop the other team if it was played by someone who knew how to play the game. At this point I started playing blitz and loved that game. I played a little madden after this on all the systems before ps3,xbox360, but never got into them. As it is, I like Madden 92, due to the good offense/defense scheme. The only thing I do not like is the passing windows. I also just got Madden for the 3do and that is pretty good, but I will need to play it more to see if I like it as much as 92. I did not like the Super Nintendo versions as much, but did not play the later versions on that system after the abysmal madden 95 (read 109 -92 at halftime vs a buddy, then never played again).

swift killer
10th February 2009, 01:05 PM
I've actually played Madden *dodges bricks being thrown* ....but I know enough to know Im missing out on a good game.

infoxicated
10th February 2009, 04:15 PM
2004 was the one I played most, and 2005 was the last one I played heavily, but after that they got too gimmicky - the match-ups icons appearing on the field are the equivalent of the putting line in Tiger Woods, for example, and just too arcadey for my tastes.

I did get the PSP version of 2009 and it was pretty good - like a really polished PS2 version that was free from some of the arcadey stuff. I think it's a bit too easy on offense and a bit too difficult on defense, though, meaning most games are either shoot-outs or very lopsided if the AI team doesn't have a good offense. I haven't actually been back to it after my first season ended in a Superbowl win. The PSP control limitations are the same old-same old, too - it's almost impossible to run in diagonals and the lack of buttons feels really limiting.

I'd like to try the PS3 one - it's usually the third iteration when they're really getting up to speed with the hardware, so I reckon Madden 2010 will be really good - especially with their return to basics approach that I've read about.

JABBERJAW
10th February 2009, 06:45 PM
I like sims, and Arcade style, but do not like it most of the time when they try and put them together, it generally doesn't work.

G'Kyl
11th February 2009, 05:52 AM
the match-ups icons appearing on the field are the equivalent of the putting line in Tiger Woods, for example, and just too arcadey for my tastes.

Yep, but then you can turn all the helping non-realism off, which I usually do. Then again, the putting line is even the least of my worries. What bothers me most are those silly power and spin-me-while-I'm-flying balls. First thing I do each year is turn that nonsense off.

I like sims, and Arcade style, but do not like it most of the time when they try and put them together, it generally doesn't work.

Same here. Unfortunately, that bridge between simulation and arcade is what EA is all about. Same goes for NASCAR, which I really liked this time round.

Btw, what do you think of the current Madden? I don't know Jack about Football, but this year I finally understood all the important rules ;) - and I really enjoy the game! Not that I'm any good at it, but still.

Ben

JABBERJAW
12th February 2009, 04:08 PM
I haven't played the new madden, or any madden on the new systems. I would love to see a "Madden Collection" released of various versions from all the systems, or all the versions. Would be fun to play through the various ups and downs of the franchise. Although, you can buy most the old versions for 4 dollars or less now since they go down in value so fast, as long as you have the systems to play them.

Spaceboy Gajo
13th February 2009, 01:39 PM
Great to see Foxy chiming in ;) Always thought it was cool when he told me a while ago that he was playing Madden. Never thought of Europe as a market even with the World Football League/NFL Europe. However, the NFL thinks so hence them looking outside even Canada and Mexico to host a regular season game internationally.

As for me, I had played one of the Madden's on the Genesis years ago. Unfortunately the game has never interested me. Could never get used to the whole "now it's your turn to play defense" aspect of the game. Never mind all the defensive formations I had no clue about. All this made me lousy at the game.

Any ways, to get my post on topic it's too bad you never liked Madden '95 Al. That's because I always wanted to pick up EA Sports Madden & NHL Hockey 95 Plug & Play (http://wipeoutzone.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=113060) because I think this was the best version of NHL.

I hope to drop by for this year's North American tournament now to see you Madden collection Al ;)

JABBERJAW
13th February 2009, 02:13 PM
The main problem was the two player mode, it was virtually impossible to stop an opponent without a lucky interception. I don't really have a collection yet, but will hopefully soon, should be cheap. I should be able to purchase at least 20 maddens for the price of one wo3 japanese version of wipeout.

lunar
13th February 2009, 07:17 PM
I agree with Gajo. NHL 95 was the dog`s bollocks, which is English for good.

`93 was my first Madden and I`ve played them on and off ever since. I love the game and get very obsessive, but I always find I break the AI too soon and the game becomes too unrealistic, or I spend so long fiddling with the AI sliders to make it "realistic" that I cannot enjoy it for analysing my slider set up any more.

Haven`t played it on PS3 and I don`t particularly like the sound of some of the new gameplay additions, as the core idea of Madden is brilliantly simple. I really did hope, in PS2 days, that the "next-gen" hardware we have now would be put to use on making nearer perfect AI, not fancy graphics that have slowdown anyway and the same teleporting linebackers (etc) and AI that is either too easy or just cheats you to win.

We live in hope, I`ll probably get a PS3 Madden one year and find out. I`ll try to make it coincide with a year that I have time to follow the real NFL also :)

JABBERJAW
16th February 2009, 01:10 AM
tracks for the tourney will be posted this week. Pulse for ps2 will be included if it comes out. Anyone else got a pal or modified ps2?