PDA

View Full Version : PSP game data management?

Frances_Penfold
25th January 2009, 03:00 PM
Here's another practical question about Sony consoles :)

It's really cool that the PSP gives so much freedom for managing and archiving game data-- unlike Nintendo's traditional approach which is to rely completely on the game cartridge.

But my oh my, PSP game data management and archiving can get complicated! So for Wipeout Pure/Pulse alone, one has to worry about the profile file, DLC and a cubic buttload of ghost files. The PSP is prone to occasional data corruption and it seems foolish not to back the files up on a regular basis.

At this point, I should mention that I am a mac-user so can't run Sony's media manager software. There are third party, mac-compatible media managers but they are years old at this point and haven't been updated since 2005/2006-- I am a little worried about compatibility issues with current PSP firmware and OSX system versions.

So I'm just curious what folks here do to manage and archive their game data for Wipeout and other games. If it weren't for the DLC and ghost files, it would be pretty straightforward to throw the entire contents of the PSP onto a hard-drive at regular intervals, so as to have a chrono-sequence of save data. But DLC/ghost data are kinda large, and so are download-able versions of PS1 and PSP games that Sony now makes available via the PSN!

xEik
25th January 2009, 08:58 PM
I have a script I wrote for backing up my PSP savegames to my Mac.
I can share it if you are interested.
It uses rsync, which means only changed data is backed up.