PDA

View Full Version : Designers Republic - dead and gone

element42
23rd January 2009, 07:13 PM
:frown:

Offworld post:
http://www.offworld.com/2009/01/requiem-for-a-republic-wipeout.html

...linking to CR blog:
http://www.creativereview.co.uk/crblog/the-designers-republic-is-dead-long-live-the-designers-republic/

stin
23rd January 2009, 08:15 PM
That is tragic indeed.......long live the DTR!:+ and hopefully rise of the phoenix in near future.....:pc

stevie:)

Frances_Penfold
23rd January 2009, 08:31 PM
Wow.

There seem to be many, many development studios, art houses and entertainment providers closing right now over the past week, ostensibly due to the worsening economy :(

I just read in fact that most of Microsoft's flight simulator group has been axed, at least in part.

IH8YOU
23rd January 2009, 09:26 PM
That is actually sad. :(

supersocks
23rd January 2009, 09:28 PM
So the 90s are finally over...

YouAreFubar
23rd January 2009, 10:09 PM
They will be back though, like it says through those links, they havent felt like Designers Republic for a few years, and they will be going back to what they used to be like.

Darkdrium777
23rd January 2009, 11:01 PM
Designer's Republic isn't dead and done, according to the owner :)

yeldar2097
24th January 2009, 12:49 AM
ilovemyDR

gbit
24th January 2009, 03:08 AM
Hmmm, he mentioned a DR book, now that would be something impressive. My untrained design sense thinks "ah, that's wipeout-esque" when I see their work. But no, it's the mark of DR, and having it in book form, amazing!

IH8YOU
24th January 2009, 04:11 AM
Work.
Buy.
Consume.
Die.

I didn't think they'd take that last one literally! I can't imagine any future iteration of Wipeout having the same feel without the DRs touch.

Has the existing designs (logos and what not) been licensed to Sony/SL - or are they going to be unable to use these in the future???

element42
24th January 2009, 06:39 AM
I wonder just how optimistic he's being ;)

...it’s a lovely sunny day - as it always is in Sheffield

djKyoto
24th January 2009, 06:55 AM
Nuuuuuuuuuoooooooooo. :frown:

LIVE LONG, RETURN. AMPLIFY.

eLhabib
24th January 2009, 11:25 AM
Wow, that does actually make me kinda sad. tDR basically were my inspiration back in the 90s to become a graphics designer, which I am now. Granted, they haven't been that great in the last few years, but I still adore them not only for what they contributed to the early wipEouts, but also for helping shape my view of art and design. Hate to see them go, but maybe this really comes as a blessing in disguise, and they can now redefine themselves. I wish them the best of luck. :cowboy

AG-wolf
24th January 2009, 07:17 PM
ilovemyDR

seconded

kowareta|vojeet
25th January 2009, 09:51 AM
I'll wait for the new Republic!
:(

swift killer
25th January 2009, 12:07 PM
Damn, but i do agree with what Ian Andersen says, it did stop being what it was a few years back and lets hope DR does rise again.

And the people who made all the f***ups which led towards this (taxmen, clients and the tw*t who didnt pay up) are all a bunch of w***ers.

OBH
26th January 2009, 10:24 AM
i sent my cv to the TDR once upon a time :)

swift killer
26th January 2009, 04:14 PM
I was just about to before I heard this terrible news.

Prometheus
27th January 2009, 12:07 PM
It's a shame, their design really was a big part of establishing the wipeout brand.
http://www.creativereview.co.uk/crblog/the-designers-republic-is-dead-long-live-the-designers-republic/

swift killer
27th January 2009, 12:10 PM
Already been posted...

Darkdrium777
27th January 2009, 01:00 PM
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5741

designer_79
27th January 2009, 03:50 PM
It's a shame , being very interested in any kind of design (myself being an architect) I did see the work of Designers Republic published in many Graphic Design compilations. Still think the consistency and striking force of their graphics made the whole WipEout universe what it actually is (ok lets not forget the soundtrack :P ).

I just hope they will be reborn in some way

lovedr
27th January 2009, 04:13 PM
was absolutely gutted with the news when i first heard of the closure, but hope the reincarnate neue dr arises asap.

it's been reported all other the place, but here's a related link for those who may be interested:

http://www.developmag.com/news/31177/The-Designers-Republic-dies-but-will-return

thanks for the memories dr!

Lance
27th January 2009, 06:36 PM
I can't imagine any future iteration of Wipeout having the same feel without the DRs touch.

Why not? The last WipEout to have the DR touch was WO3; Fusion and all its successors had their added graphics done by others. GoodTechnologies did Fusion, the rest have been totally inhouse at Sony Studio Liverpool.

--------

It's too bad that tDR is gone, in a way, but they declined long ago and ceased to be what they once represented for several of our members. It's the idea of what they once were that continues to inspire some graphics designers. Not everyone was a fan of DR, but they did stir things up for a bit.

IH8YOU
27th January 2009, 07:09 PM
Lance, I disagree with you. Much of the style that Wipeout currently has - was bled down from previous iterations.

Wipeout Fusion - is hardly "Wipeout" - and has more in common with F-Zero, IMO. But putting that aside - from a style standpoint - I think just about everyone became distinctly aware something was "different". (this would be when DR stepped out and GT stepped in)

I miss the little things from the original series - an example would be the girly-robot that announced "go" from Wipeout 3.

Honestly, won't know for sure until a "fresh" Wipeout is built from the ground up - should that ever happen. :?

Lance
27th January 2009, 07:55 PM
It already happened; everything after Fusion was done completely in house by Studio Liverpool by a new team of designers with a new project head. Don't forget, either, that tDR was never responsible for anything but logos, billboards, game menus and such. All other design was always done by SL.

IH8YOU
27th January 2009, 08:47 PM
The game does feel different since Pure - I think Fusion should not be included in this comparison. (it's a given that it's entirely different on many levels) While the Studio Liverpool games ARE a blast to play, they are different post-DR.

The worst part here, is I can't put a finger on EXACTLY how it's different - but it IS. I think the billboards, icons, logos add a lot more to the environment than aesthetics. DR was always very good with futuristic design - which has become obvious, as their work has influenced a LOT of media.