PDA

View Full Version : What will win OSCAR for best movie?

blackwiggle
19th January 2009, 11:01 AM
I've watched most if not all of the contenders for best movie,they have yet to be announced.
Those that I have watched are below.

I've got either

1]Gran Torino
2]Slumdog Millionare
3]The Wrestler
4]Doubt

eLhabib
19th January 2009, 11:57 AM
Iron Man! :P
j/k, but man do I love that movie!

My money is on The Wrestler.

chboing
19th January 2009, 12:10 PM
sorry, i didnt see any of those films yet, but i saw "death race" yesterday, and man! it's a funny movie :) i like the part where they drive on weapon pads to get weapon enabled in their cars :)

you wipeout fans should like it :)

swift killer
19th January 2009, 12:38 PM
It's between The Wrestler and Slumdog Millionaire, the other two don't come close, if The Wrestler doesn't win than it's pretty clear that the judges have discriminated against the theme of professional wrestling and if Slumdog Millionaire doesn't win than it's down to racial discrimination...... remember, the commitee who decide the winners are a bunch of old farts who'd feel more at home in some form of hyper-traditional fine art gallery and do not like something if it's new. They usually choose the film which has the 'same old stuff'.

EDIT: Sorry about the generalisation

Darkdrium777
19th January 2009, 12:59 PM
Yeah I really liked Death Race too, although an Oscar? Hmm not really the level :lol

rdmx
20th January 2009, 02:58 AM
Haven't seen death race yet but weapon pads make more sense than floating missiles or ominous boxes with question marks :)

Darkdrium777
20th January 2009, 03:34 AM
It's an electronic lock on the weapons, released when passed over the pad.

IH8YOU
20th January 2009, 05:21 AM
How the weapons system works on an AG ship was clearly explained in your F3600 racing league pamphlet that came with your digital copy of the F3600 racing league simulator software.

AKA - reading the manual that came with the original Wipeout. :g

eLhabib
20th January 2009, 06:53 AM
ehehehehe :D

swift killer
21st January 2009, 05:54 PM
I know whats going to win,...... the intro for wipeout pulse :P

Pere_HD
21st January 2009, 07:07 PM
Need to see those films...what's the date for the Oscar Awards? :S

blackwiggle
22nd January 2009, 06:33 AM
The nominations are this Friday

swift killer
22nd January 2009, 03:20 PM
By the looks of things, a film which normal people have either not heard of or don't like is favourite: The Curious Case of Benjamin (i think i got that title wrong); http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/oscars/7842438.stm

The Wrestler is shockingly not even in the nominations for best picture and has very few nominations, is it me or are they on some cases completely out of touch with the public?

blackwiggle
22nd January 2009, 07:49 PM
Well the final selection by the Academy was a bit of a surprise.

1]The curious case of Benjamin Button
2]Frost Nixion
3]Milk
4]The Reader
5]Slumdog Millionare.

I've seen Ben Button,and it's ok, [based on a short story by F.Scott.Fitzgerald],but it's a bit bland IMHO.
Slumdog Millionare is good,but I don't know if it's better than the ones I haven't seen [ironic that it was going to go straight to DVD]
I Haven't seen Milk [about Harvey Milk gay activist during the 70's] or Frost Nixion or The Reader [love story based in Germany between 15y male and 30's woman who has secrets from WWII]

I was really glad to see "In Bruges" got a nomination for best original screenplay,as this was one of my favorite movies all year.

We will all know the outcome on Sunday 22nd Feb.

eLhabib
22nd January 2009, 10:40 PM
I LOVED In Bruges! What an instant classic!

And yeah, the nominations for best movie are a joke this year... :rolleyes:

Pere_HD
25th January 2009, 05:03 PM
I thought that the nominees were a joke too, but I saw "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" yesterday...and it's INCREDIBLE.
I want to watch the others to see the competition, although I think it's the one that will win the award.

For full details on the awards and nominees, please click here (http://www.imdb.com/features/rto/2009/oscars)

[Iron Man is down there...nominated or the Sound Editing and Visual Effects awards]

Lance
30th January 2009, 06:02 PM
I wanted "The Dark Knight" to at least be nominated, since it is far more than just a superhero movie, being truly thoughtful about human psychology. And Heath Ledger should have been nominated [and should win] for best actor, not just best supporting actor, since he was the real star of the movie.

swift killer
30th January 2009, 08:31 PM
I'm with Lance on that one.... Heath Ledger's acting made The Dark Knight what is was, only Johnny Depp could have come close to Heath Ledger's acting as The Joker.

BulletWraith
30th January 2009, 09:23 PM
I agree with Lance and Swift Killer, 2 days ago I went and saw the Dark Knight for the 4th time(3rd time at Imax, they are doing a special repeat season by popular demand), I loved that Movie, Health Ledger was a great Joker, but not enough classic batman stuff for me.
I enjoyed Ironman too, but for me HellboyII The Golden Army was my movie of the year Ron Perlman ftw

-zer:donutshen

blackwiggle
15th February 2009, 01:26 AM
Well I watched THE READER last night,and a it's very good movie.

Kate Winslett is brilliant in it.

Still to see MILK and Frost Nixon though to compare all the nominations for best picture.

omega329
15th February 2009, 03:44 PM
Valkyrie anyone?
Watched that last saturday, pretty good, seemed a bit repetetive in places, but good overall.

stin
15th February 2009, 04:43 PM
Personally, I do really want to watch it.

I did read a bit of history through newspapers and really interested.

stevie:)

blackwiggle
15th February 2009, 09:59 PM
I'm going to watching both Frost Nixon and Milk tonight now I've finally got the DVD's.
The Reader is going to be hard to beat,I think it's better than Slumdog Millionaire,which although a good movie is still a bit patchy in spots and the compulsory dance number [typical Indian] at the end seems to lessen the impact of what is a serious social commentary.

blackwiggle
16th February 2009, 11:13 PM
Well I watch Frost Nixon and Milk last night,so I've now seen all the contenders for best picture, and I think it's going to be between Slumdog Millionaire and The Reader.

With Frost Nixon you can tell that they haven't changed much from the version they did as a play,and the jerky hand held camera movements are a bit overdone in places,the acting is competent,not great and it's a long wait till the climax of the film,and then I think that could of been done better.

Milk is good ,but it seems like Sean Penn has taken the role as political activist/Politician to heart,it's not dissimilar to the role where he played governor Huey Long,he could possibly win best actor for it,but I don't think it will get best picture.

If I had to pick one it would be The Reader to win it,it's just a better made and acted movie IMHO.
It's one of those movies that you start think about again long after you've seen it.
Kate Winslett would have to win the award for best actress,hands down a better performance than any other actress this year.

blackwiggle
23rd February 2009, 03:55 AM
And The winner is- Slumdog Millionare !

No real surprise.

Glad Kate Winslett won best actress for The Reader and Best actor Sean Penn for MILK.

kanar
23rd February 2009, 05:56 AM
slumdog millionaire is great. And what a music. There's 3 or 4 excellent songs already in my wipeout playlist. Guys you should try a race with indian music lol, like the titles ringa ringa, or Jai Ho!