PDA

View Full Version : 1080p playback

yeldar2097
16th January 2009, 06:18 PM
Evening all,

I was just trying to demonstrate the wonders of WOHD to a couple of my friends by way of the 1080p trailer that i'm sure many of you will have seen. sadly the video skips like a kangaroo even though the audio is fine. any tips?

i could play the video fine during a brief spell a couple of months ago but before and since that time i've had no luck. i can play any other 1080p video's with no trouble, it's just the WOHD one. i've tried both the version with Seven Stiches by Noisia and the other version with Smart Systems by Mist as the respective soundtracks. I've also tried transferring it to/from my PS3 (which plays it seamlessly) and had no luck

my laptop isn't too great but it did used to play it. it's a sony vaio AR41S with: 2.2GHz core 2 duo, nvidia 8600m gt with 256mb DDR3, 2GB RAM and 2x 160GB sata @7200RPM. not sure if that helps but anyway.
i've tried several drivers and tried fiddling with nvidia control panel but i can't get it working again and it's annoying me to the point of insanity.

any tips would be greatly appreciated; i NEED to give my friends a taste of perfection, even if it's just a smidgen ;)

eLhabib
16th January 2009, 06:27 PM
Why don't you show it on your PS3 then?
Probabaly your laptop has just clustered up over the last months, so there's not enough ram left for the whole video to load into. try some different players, and give it a couple of runs, then maybe it runs smoothly the 3rd or 4th time through. Also, maybe try to defragment your hard drive.

yeldar2097
16th January 2009, 06:32 PM
i'd love to show it to them properly but sadly i'm at school 24/7 except for about 10 hours every sunday. apparently bringing my ps3 to school would be detrimental to my work. i disagree, but you can't have everything...
i'll give it a go and see. i thought i'd tried everything but i completely forgot defragging. still doesn't explain why i couldn't get it working for months, then all of a sudden it worked all the time, then stopped working.
much appreciated all the same!

Darkdrium777
16th January 2009, 09:28 PM
Is it Quicktime? Get rid of it, and play in VLC.
Have the same problem with Quicktime, and these computers are no fluke: Dual core processors at 2.0Ghz and 2.1Ghz, 4GB of RAM and Vistax64 on them. Quicktime still stutters. VLC plays everything fine. ;)

yeldar2097
17th January 2009, 11:01 AM
i detest QT, i'm a vlc user through and through. i'm just annoyed that it let me down this time.

defragged last night, took forever, still no improvement. any other ideas?

eLhabib
17th January 2009, 11:22 PM
real player sometimes really surprises me when nothing else seems to work...

yeldar2097
18th January 2009, 09:52 AM
i've tried all my players, real is more fluid but the skips are longer, if you get what i mean. i think it stopped working when i was messing about with my gfx drivers/settings.
if it ain't broke, don't fix it. if only i knew that back then... i'll keep trying. i must thank you eLhabib, that defrag did wonders for my laptop :)