PDA

View Full Version : 100% Cotton Coat, will it ruin?

jtc42
3rd November 2008, 09:40 AM
Here's a bit of a random thread for you.
I recently purchased one of these coats (http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10001_67025_692952_-1) and although it says dryclean only, there doesnt seem to be any warnings about getting it wet.

However some people have told me if it gets wet atall it'll go horrible, shrink and ruin. Some have said if it gets soaking wet it'll ruin but if its a bit damp it'll be fine if I let it air dry. And others have said it'll be fine as long as its not soaked in hot water (ie a washing machine).

Anyone here know for sure?

mdhay
3rd November 2008, 09:58 AM
It shouldn't do.

Darkdrium777
3rd November 2008, 02:15 PM
If it says dryclean only, well...
My parents have had coats like these, they were allways drycleaned. Recommend you do the same :)

jtc42
3rd November 2008, 03:44 PM
Yeah if I need to clean it I'll of course dry clean it, but Im more bothered about wearing it in rain.

Can you find out from your parents how wet these coats can get before they get ruined please? :P

drenath
3rd November 2008, 03:52 PM
Maybe, but will it blend (http://www.youtube.com/user/Blendtec)?

Lance
3rd November 2008, 04:00 PM
Read the WipeoutZone guidelines, jtc42

Dry cleaning is not actually dry; the phrase only means that water is not used in the process, but a volatile cleaning fluid is used that does not tend to swell the cotton fibers. It subjects the cloth to less expansion or contraction. The process is generally used only on suits or expensive coats to preserve the original shape of the "cut" as accurately as possible. If you want to go out in the rain, and you're an extremist, you might want to wear a raincoat over the coat.

eLhabib
3rd November 2008, 04:35 PM
HAHA drenath, I was thinking the same thing! :D
Oh and to the OP: what good would the coat be, if it gets ruined by rain? Seriously, beats me...

Darkdrium777
3rd November 2008, 10:33 PM
Rain won't affect it. But cleaning it in the washing machine possibly could.

xEik
3rd November 2008, 10:45 PM
what good would the coat be, if it gets ruined by rain?
In Spain, you mainly use coats to protect you against cold, not rain. Although it is not as cold as Austria, the amount of rain per year in the Mediterranian coast is rather poor.

Lance
4th November 2008, 12:53 AM
But, jtc42 appears not to be in Spain, but somewhere round London town, so he might want to carry a very big brolly. ;)

Darkdrium777
4th November 2008, 12:57 AM
a very big brolly.Free brollies (http://www.strimoo.com/video/11040245/brolly-from-the-devil-MySpaceVideos.html)

Lance: it's a video

Lance
4th November 2008, 01:08 AM
My clue was seeing ^brolly-from-the-devil-MySpaceVideos.html^ in the mouse-hover tooltips. :D

Darkdrium777
4th November 2008, 02:05 AM
It's only 44 seconds long though, so if you disable everything else on the site but the video it should load in a few minutes. I recommend you watch it :P

jtc42
4th November 2008, 06:16 AM
Hahaha! Thanks guys. Yeah I think its to do with the hot water or detergants that cause problems so it should be fine. I had to check though. I nearly never spend a "lot" on clothes so £60 is a hell of a purchase for me. :lol

Oh @Lance - Which guideline have I broken here? Sorry! :frown:

Lance
4th November 2008, 06:19 AM
My time is committed either to duties or to things of known greater value to me or of high probabilities of having greater value to me. :)