PDA

View Full Version : Gaming Classics

Chill
8th October 2008, 12:07 AM
OK I didn't want to make a new thread but I couldn't find anything that related to this anywhere in the forum...

I wanted to make a thread appropriate specifically for the love of classic games... ranging from Nintendo to PS1 so far... Right now I own 3 multiple Original PSX's, a link cord, two negcons and all US and European PS1 Wipeouts, Original Resident Evil (gotta love it), Tomb Raider (Oh yeah), Original Twisted Metal, and just about to get Tekken 3 and Original Silent Hill (These games really shouldn't probably be considered classics yet, but since Sony quit the production of PS1s... I thought they should be)... And I would like to know any games that y'all STILL love to play... Original Castlevanias, Atari games, whatever it may be... go ahead and post it here... And talk about what elements make you love these games so much... ;)

AG-wolf
8th October 2008, 06:09 AM
Consoles:
NES (x3)
SNES
N64 (x4)
GameCube
GameBoy
GameBoy Advance
DS
Master System (x2)
Master System 2
Genesis 1 (x5)
Genesis 2
Genesis 3 (x2)
32x (x3)
Sega CD 2
Saturn (x3)
Dreamcast
GameGear (x2)
Nomad
PSX (x2, 1 PAL, 1 NTSC)
PSone
PS2
PStwo
PSP
Xbox
Xbox360
Atari 2600
Atari 2600jr
Atari 5200
Atari 7800
Atari Jaguar
Nuon (Samsung N-501) WHOO Tempest 3000 bitch!
NeoGeo Pocket Color
3DO (Panasonic FZ-1)
3DO (Goldstar GDO-101M)

Aside from a ton of rare/unique peripherals and controllers and rom copiers, I have over 500 games across all these different consoles, I love a wide variety of genres, series, and individual titles. my existence has almost entirely served no purpose other than videogames... which is why I've been packing them all up and out of sight for the last few years because I need to devote time to other things.

I'll just list specific genres/series I don't like because I could go on and on and on for days about all the different ones I DO like and for what reasons.

Do not like:
Final Fantasy series other than 6 and 7
Dragon Warrior series
RPGs in general (though Mario RPG for SNES kicked ASS)
point and click or text adventure (Fantastic Dizzy SUCKS)
Any. First. Person. Shooters... except Portal.
Tomb Rainder and similar games
Real Time Strategy games
Gauntlet type games (lots of grinding and mindless beat-em-up)
Any Wii game except Smash Brothers Brawl (and maybe Animal Crossing when it comes out)
Any fighting games except Sonic the Fighters, the Smash Brothers series, Fighters Megamix, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 for SNES or Mortal Kombat Trilogy for N64, DBZ Budokai 3.
especially hate Capcom 2D fighters
Mario Party series, or any "party" games

Chill
8th October 2008, 06:20 AM
Dddaaaammmnnn Wolf... ;) Man looks like you needed time for other things lol, not that it's bad... just whatever makes you happy. :D

Although I am a little bit interested on why you wouldn't like Tomb Raider... Or first person shooters... I saw portal once, that game DOES look cool! :o

I liked the first 2 or 3 tomb raiders only... And like world war 2 first person shoothers the most, can never get tired of em'... I really love them for multiplayer!! ;)

As for the fighting games... I can see the point, as my only real favorite fighter is tekken... I think it's just something the person learns to like over time, and your taste for your fighter develops, just as you probably wouldn't like it... ;)

I'm sure their are many other people with loads of systems as well... REPRESENT!!

Lance
8th October 2008, 07:10 AM
Rather than waste my time with a complete list of everything I ever owned or played, I'll go with the starter post and mention a couple of the classics I still like to play. Apart from the obvious WipEout Trinity, I still love the original Gran Turismo, Vigilante 8 [on the PSX] and Vigilante 8, 2nd Offense [on the Dreamcast], N`Gen Racing [on the PSX] and the first Soul Calibur [on the Dreamcast]. I think that the original GT is still the best one. They feel like real cars feel when they're driven to and sometimes beyond the limits of traction. V8 has a kind of shooting while manoeuvering satisfaction that I've not found in anything else. N`Gen Racing has freedom of flying that I don't get from other games, and oddly enough, the limitations of memory and speed of the PSX produce a pixellation in the visuals that I find to be beautiful in a way that high-resolution photographic perfection could never equal. Soul Calibur still looks great and has the feel of movement and weapons control that I really like.

eLhabib
8th October 2008, 07:28 AM
V8 Second Offense and the original Soul Calibur are easily the 2 best games for Dreamcast, and 2 of my favorite games of all time.

Some classic games that immediately spring to my mind, and which I spent a lot of time with are:
the old Sonic games (1, 2, 3, S&K) (Mega Drive)
TMNT (SNES)
Street Fighter 2 Turbo (SNES)
Dune II (Mega Drive)
and last but not least (not least at all): Rock'n'Roll Racing (Mega Drive)

cybrpnk
8th October 2008, 08:05 AM
I was a huge sucker for the Ace Combat series...formerly called Air Combat on the PSX...played all of them from the PSX to PS2...really jaded there hasn't been anything mentioned for the PS3...

online dogfighting is a dream I will continue to have...it's about the only reason I want a 360...for Ace Combat...but that's about the only game that interests me on that console...plus...I don't wanna pay for online when I know I can enjoy free online with the black beast...

BulletWraith
8th October 2008, 11:54 AM
firstly I don't 'game' game so much other than a bit of 2097 every now and then and when I'm in town I like to play Daytona USA and some old school shmps like raiden
most console gaming goes to Singstar and the eyetoy kinetic games, lately I've been playing gridwars and Chalk (http://www.download.com/Chalk/3000-7435_4-10798164.html?tag=mncol&cdlPid=10798163)(Which is a really cool shmup)on my laptop

(sorry long post ignore the rest:paperbag)

I bought my first PSX two years ago(PS2 in 2005 for eyetoy Kinetic)
neGcon list(sorry I have too)
3 white neGcons
1 black neGcon

gamepads with neGcon Support:
1 x Ultraracer (http://www.psillustrated.com/psillustrated/hard_rev.php/257/ultraracer-playstation.html) my first neGcon alternative
2 x ZeroTech (http://auok.auone.jp/item/item_160267218.html) controllers (good Racon clones)
1 x AirPad (http://www.tsnh.com/index.asp?page=AirPad) (has 2 axis motion senseing, this was released in 1999
2 x jogcOns (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jogcon)(evolution of the neGcon, not that great imo)

wipEout stuff:
wipEout
wipEout 2097
wip3out
playstation bag with wip3out logo embroided on it
wipEout 2097 for windows, bought this a couple months ago, still haven't managed to get it running(Vista *shrugs*)

gave my N64 away years back as I played it to much
GoldenEye/Perfectdark/eXtreme-G were great

few of my favorite arcade games
Alien Vs Predator Arcade(side scrolling game similar to Double Dragon)
Killer Instinct series
Marvel Vs Capcom series
Crisis Zone
Daytona USA
Raiden

yawn sorry about that
PS don't like(to play the) Tekkens, they are to slow but can watch people play T6 at the arcade for ages
-zer:donutshen

Edit
I Love The Typing Of The Dead!
I only have the demo, have been looking for it on Windows for ages
Awwwwww it's fwlebgoubc; iitss its itsss gahhh
it's really good

RJ O'Connell
9th October 2008, 06:05 AM
Playing a lot of SNES Tecmo Super Bowl lately. And I must say, defense in this game is rather hard to achieve. Especially against run plays. >_<

eLhabib
9th October 2008, 07:29 AM
Lance, just as we were talking about it, V8 gets announced for Xbox Live! (http://kotaku.com/5060832/vigilante-8-arcade-launch-trailer-gets-funky) Yay! :hyper

Lance
9th October 2008, 01:29 PM
Well, I'll be jiggered! [whatever the hell that expression means]
Pretty cool. :)

mdhay
9th October 2008, 07:23 PM
Still have a MD 2 and countless games for it.

But I do have:

Sega Mega Drive Collection, So I have 30 odd games on one UMD.:p

andy
10th October 2008, 12:27 AM
I use emulators to play all the games i used to play =] i like to play...

super mario land on the gameboy, streets of rage 1&2 (and streets of rage remake, its not a classic but its the 3 streets of rage games mashed up together and it's realy good i think), tetris; and tekken 3, ace combat 3 and wip3out on the ps1

Chill
10th October 2008, 12:37 AM
Their are obviously games that are much better at an earlier part of their series, which is why I made this thread... just taking Tekken for example...

Tekken 3 was awesome... I still didn't like the fact that "girls" were in it but I guess all sexes should be able to enjoy it... But in reality, women don't fight!! And if they do, it's only agains each other or the guy will win.

Tekken 4 was cool too with it's better graphics (obviously cause of the PS2's capability) and it remained in the similar style as Tekken 3... but the added characters weren't all my cup of tea... Christie was hot, but fighting would have made her ugly obviously... And girls dont fight.

Then Tekken 5 came out... I just got Tekken Dark Resurrection, which was similar... and I didn't like it. All the new characters just seemed like a bunch of odd-balls, with the ability to make your fighter look like a clown... what happened?

And now Tekken 6, the three new characters are a little teeny-bopper, a Spanish Latino guy, and a Butter-Bean.... Pfffff, I mean what is this? This is not something that is suppose to be adding all kinds of people in, ONLY people capable of fighting... the butter-bean would have a heart attack in the first round, the teeny-bopper wouldn't have any experience and would be weak as hell, and the latino guy is WAY TOO FLOWERY!!! What kind of guy that fights is like that?? I mean come on!! Lee was a good fighter, but he had this dumb flowery style too... rediculous... ;)

So Tekken 3 and 4 (without the animals and aliens/robots and wooden people, and girls) remain my favorite in the series so far...

Just and example...